Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Go home Clint, you're drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Realized what this was after about 15 seconds and turned it off in disgust.

Go home, Clint, indeed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anything for an are troops buck.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

No loving way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I also highly recommend Crimetown, which is about Providence, RI, and how that city was one of the most thoroughly corrupt, mob-infested shitshows in the entire country for decades on end. Highly entertaining, and a lot of the time it's hard to believe that what they're discussing actually happened.

I second this rec because I grew up in that area and it was hilarious hearing outsiders process this stuff. Also Buddy Cianci.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

No loving way.

Oh and the actors are the real people because patriotism or whatever

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

You mean cash and screen actors’ guild membership.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I will say that as long as they capitalize on this and get the hell out of the military they have made a better choice than most enlisted idiots.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I watched Manhunt: Unabomber and really enjoyed it. Little over the top on the dramatics here and there, but enjoyable, and I dug Paul Bettany as Ted Kaczinsky.

Then, as I usually do after shows based on true stories, I read up on them on Wikipedia for some more details, and I while I usually expect quite a bit of revelations that the show either got wrong or fudged intentionally for dramatic value, it's usually an interesting read.

Reading up on the Unabomber investigation after watching the miniseries was loving mindblowing. They pretty much wholesale made up almost the entirety of the show. It's incredible. I mean, I was expecting to hear that the main guy, James Fitzgerald, was a composite character to represent the stories and efforts of several agents in the investigation, but loving :lol:

Not only does it turn out that James Fitzgerald wasn't the crucial player that contributed the pivotal effort to the investigation that got Kaczinsky arrested, he was only part of the twenty-year investigation for four loving months, has never met Kaczinsky, wasn't there when he was arrested, didn't conjure up the basis for the crucial warrant, wasn't in Lincoln for the arrest, wasn't a crucial part of the evidence to be presented at trial, and wasn't brought out of retirement to talk Kaczinsky into a guilty plea.

I mean, you're a moron if you expect these things to be documentaries, the guys that did the OJ trial as a miniseries also messed with some poo poo to make it more digestable, but come the gently caress on, if it's "based on true story", and your true story is the most expensive and longest investigation in the history of the FBI and revolves around a globally recognizable name, at least don't invent ALL OF IT.

Based on a true story my rear end. After reading halfway through the Wikipedia article, I was fully expecting the fact that Ted Kaczinsky bombed a bunch of people being made up by the show as well.

And here's the kicker. Guess who worked on the show as a consulting producer.

One James Fitzgerald, retired FBI agent.

quote:

James Fitzgerald served as a consulting producer in the Discovery Channel's 2017 miniseries, Manhunt: Unabomber,[5] which features actor Sam Worthington as James "Fitz" Fitzgerald, described by Fitzgerald himself as "a composite character" of many investigators in the Unabomber case.

Oh yeah, of course it's a composite character, it just happens to have your name and be the brilliant profiler mastermind that singlehandedly led to the arrest of the Unabomber despite being stonewalled and shat on by ungrateful FBI superiors along the entirety of the journey. What a coincidence.
:laffo:

Talk about hiring the FBI's bitter ex-girlfriend as a consultant about the FBI, Jesus.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well now the Room isn’t ironically unironically cool anymore

oh hi Mark

Frankly I don’t give a poo poo. The Room will never stop being terrible and hilarious, and it’s so much fun to watch with friends when you’re all drinking.

Also The Disaster Artist was a hilarious book. I haven’t seen the movie yet but there were parts where I was straight up cackling while reading it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Happy New Year all. I hope 2018 sucks less for you than 2017 did.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also Buddy Cianci.

That man seemed like a piece of work, good lord.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Post your New Year's plans

I'm sitting in my apartment all by my lonesome, playing world of tanks, watching the Disaster Artist and considering opening up some more boxed wine

:smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Inlaws got the twins for the night, having another couple over for light drinks and dinner.
Wife will get tired and fall asleep before we can get frisky.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Going to a buddy's place for a big NYE jam with a bunch of other friends, gonna spark up a moonrock joint at 11:50 so I should be just about to reach low earth orbit by the time the ball drops.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought it looked like garbage before I realized it wad Spencer Stone and co. I'm kind of interested to see how Hollywood ridiculous they go on these Air Force training scenes.

From what I've heard, Stone is kind of a doofus with delusions of grandeur.

Edit: Amazon Preview is giving me $40 to watch three episodes of The Man in the High Castle season 3, and take a survey. So good on me for not watching it at all to this point. Good, since I don't feel like going out or doing anything.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 31, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Flying back home from a good visit with the family in a frozen snowy place, but walked several miles in snowy woods and farmland every day :unsmith:

Somehow a cold snap means it’s even colder back home now though :mad:

Probably will drink some booze, per some cats, and either hang out chill style with my wife or play video games like a nerd.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NYE thus far: binging Mr Robot season 3 (good as hell)

Tuesday is going to suck. Back to work after a long holiday break plus first day of grad school for the new term.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sit under an overpass and do nothing.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That man seemed like a piece of work, good lord.
That podcast got most of the important bits about Cianci but they only skimmed the surface with some stuff.

I'm in Edinburgh getting ready to get rip roaringly drunk for Hogmanay but I'll effort post some stuff about Cianci and the New England mob when I get home if people want. My dad moved to South Eastern New England from Alberta for work and he said nothing could really prepare him for the culture shock and experience of how profoundly corrupt and criminal the area was.

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: Amazon Preview is giving me $40 to watch three episodes of The Man in the High Castle season 3, and take a survey. So good on me for not watching it at all to this point. Good, since I don't feel like going out or doing anything.
Season 3 is out? I thought it got pushed to early next year?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 31, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Firework over Navy Pier with the wife. We'll watch from our apartment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The hospital is discharging me today but I’ll be on antibiotics so I can’t drink

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nothing tonight, bed around 9 and maybe just watching the east coast ring in the new year.

Gonna go for like a 9 mile run today and have a couple beers this evening playing Doom. :toot:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If I don't end up drinking cheap wine, I'm going to bed at ten, and then getting up early just to see how Munich streets are when there are no loving cars on them

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m in Florida for New Years. I just want to go back to Virginia.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ getcha some shiny red heels and get clicking.

Smoking hash while waiting for the Pike's Peak fireworks to start at midnight. Probably gonna walk Frank around then, and it's supposed to be cold as gently caress.

Addendum: binging Arrested Development. It's been on my watch list forever, but I hate Michael Cera and Jason Bateman. I've been wrong about putting it off for so long.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 31, 2017

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Going to my 70 year old neighbors house to drink and get high then probably come home, hop on discord and further embarrass myself

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Pick how you want to start 2018
https://twitter.com/tmcripple/status/942099020733755392
https://twitter.com/bluefootedtweet/status/946420564549398530

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm playing Horror of Yig at midnight

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i am working :shepface:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Working, edging myself closer to stress induced illness by silently stewing in my resentment of the idiot partners I keep getting saddled with, showing up late to the NYE party my GF and I are supposed to attend, probably drinking to forget.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Working, edging myself closer to stress induced illness by silently stewing in my resentment of the idiot partners I keep getting saddled with, showing up late to the NYE party my GF and I are supposed to attend, probably drinking to forget.

well aren't you a ray of sunshine

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Give em both barrels of your immaculate brain logic

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Try having fun?

And you aren't late to a NYE party unless it's next year already.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I spent it on a yacht with good friends and went swimming just before midnight

Greetings from 2018 the weather is poo poo and everyone else on board is hungover

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nightcrawler is worth a watch yeah? Creepiness aside. I know Jake Gyllenhaal kills plays the part really good

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nightcrawler is good, it's a great movie and the Gyllenhaal nails the tone. Also Bill Paxton kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nightcrawler is worth a watch yeah? Creepiness aside. I know Jake Gyllenhaal kills plays the part really good

Nightcrawler is pretty dope.

It's not swinging for the Hollywood fences, it doesn't abuse sound/music for mood, and Gyllenhaal is the perfect creep in the role

• Locked thread