Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Some of us didn't save the world in a previous life, its nothing to be ashamed of to have a normal enlistment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm down to 3 1/2.
Starting to wonder if a 40+ year old guy trying weed for the first time is pathetic.

I tried it for the first time at 37. You're not alone!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
We need to turn LingcodKilla's career into a novel or something.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

pick your rate pick your fate! :chiefsay:

It's less rate specific since fc jobs are pretty cake, more of the general bureaucracy and awful support.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Goodpancakes posted:

Hell that's about when Kevin Smith got into it. That dude probably smokes more than anyone outside of surviving 1970s band members.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CMD598 posted:

We need to turn LingcodKilla's career into a novel or something.

"Hurry Up and Standby, or 'How I Learned to Shut the gently caress Up and Take the Money.'"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nah man, dude is like the Thomas Crown of reservists.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm older than both of those ages and still have never tried it

:unsmith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's not all roses. I finally for the first time in my 5 year career mopped a head with my cleaning duty section crewed with a LCDR, first class and me. Unsurprisingly we passed Chiefs inspection.

Aluminum beach on Friday woo!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wait you had a LCDR cleaning poo poo? What Navy are you in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Wait you had a LCDR cleaning poo poo? What Navy are you in

I'd storm the heads of the Yamato with him.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Crabdad is actually a secret reserves recruiter undercover as the luckiest sailor of the 21st century.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

It's not all roses. I finally for the first time in my 5 year career mopped a head with my cleaning duty section crewed with a LCDR, first class and me. Unsurprisingly we passed Chiefs inspection.

Aluminum beach on Friday woo!

Aluminum beach? Thought the only ships crazy enough to have aluminum hulls were independence lcs'

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Aluminum beach? Thought the only ships crazy enough to have aluminum hulls were independence lcs'

I'm on a spearhead class EPF. It sure is something.

The General Dynamics OPEN CI is also used on the Independence-class littoral combat ship (LCS), also built by Austal.

One disadvantage of the ship's design is instability in rough seas and at high speeds. At 10 knots in calm sea states, the hull can roll up to four degrees to each side, while conventional ships would roll very little, which would increase if the ship goes faster in rougher conditions, raising the possibility of seasickness.[6] To achieve its top speed, the ship has to be traveling in waters not exceeding sea state 3 (waves up to 1.25 m (4.1 ft) high). At sea state 4 it can travel up to 15 knots, travel only 5 knots in sea state 5, and has to hold position in any sea state higher; while this might be seen as an operational limitation that can delay its arrival to port facilities, the ship was intended to operate closer to shore rather than in blue-water conditions.

Confirm. She's got a super odd roll-slap-roll but thankfully we only felt that for a short period last night.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 30, 2020

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm down to 3 1/2.
Starting to wonder if a 40+ year old guy trying weed for the first time is pathetic.

I still have ~6ish active. I honestly love my job and my current command is really good (because its not actually Navy and the Navy actually never intrudes on my daily life unless its to hand in an eval or reenlist).

I could get out and make stupid money but this pays for beer and pool floats and involves little to no effort so I'll ride this bitch to the end :effort:.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My MOB is turning out to be great. We're doing 12 hour watches, 2 days on, 2 days off, and the only blue forces under our command is a single ship that is going into the yards in a few weeks, so we won't even have them to look after. It's basically going to be 7 months of getting JPME1 done and my FMF pin while banking massive per diem. :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

My MOB is turning out to be great. We're doing 12 hour watches, 2 days on, 2 days off, and the only blue forces under our command is a single ship that is going into the yards in a few weeks, so we won't even have them to look after. It's basically going to be 7 months of getting JPME1 done and my FMF pin while banking massive per diem. :v:

that's great! I'm gonna really miss out on the per diem but being able to get my surface warfare without having to suffer on a real ship is nice. Got plenty of time to work on a credential and enjoy the sites.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Surface Warfare pin on something like the aluminum hulled ferry that crab man is on sounds like something that would be fairly not bad. Granted, when/if you transfer to another type of vessel you have to re-qual for the new vessel, but you wont have to board again.

IDW when I was in Japan was awful, because I wasn't at an information dominance command, and had to go to one for training (Yokosuka), and so I was basically hosed for specifics of what I needed to know in order to pass. Good questions on the board were stuff like what equipment supplied what connection where, what circuits supplied XYZ base, etc, and the people doing the board didn't cut any slack on it. poo poo I would never encounter unless I was actually working at that command on the daily, when I was infact only able to be there for training for maybe 2 hours total a week. Needless to say I completely bombed out of the IDW program due to not being able to go TDY to the command to get my pin.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 30, 2020

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm on a spearhead class EPF. It sure is something.

Confirm. She's got a super odd roll-slap-roll but thankfully we only felt that for a short period last night.

A bunch of guys I went to school with are engineers on those. Always looked kind of neat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Surface Warfare pin on something like the aluminum hulled ferry that crab man is on sounds like something that would be fairly not bad. Granted, when/if you transfer to another type of vessel you have to re-qual for the new vessel, but you wont have to board again.

IDW when I was in Japan was awful, because I wasn't at an information dominance command, and had to go to one for training (Yokosuka), and so I was basically hosed for specifics of what I needed to know in order to pass. Good questions on the board were stuff like what equipment supplied what connection where, what circuits supplied XYZ base, etc, and the people doing the board didn't cut any slack on it. poo poo I would never encounter unless I was actually working at that command on the daily, when I was infact only able to be there for training for maybe 2 hours total a week. Needless to say I completely bombed out of the IDW program due to not being able to go TDY to the command to get my pin.

I basically have no chance of IDW unless I go active duty and lol that's not gonna happen. A pin is better than no pin, however it's gonna be a little tricky because while the orders were for 300 days currently we would only be serving 135 on the platform and technically you need 180 afloat.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I basically have no chance of IDW unless I go active duty and lol that's not gonna happen. A pin is better than no pin, however it's gonna be a little tricky because while the orders were for 300 days currently we would only be serving 135 on the platform and technically you need 180 afloat.

If you transfer to an IWC reserve command getting your IW pin should easily be attainable. I finally got mine last summer on 29-day AT orders and did my board via VTC with our gaining command. I was actively avoiding getting it as I had surface and air already and felt like a got blackballed by ship's company LCPO back when IDW was first introduced.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you transfer to an IWC reserve command getting your IW pin should easily be attainable. I finally got mine last summer on 29-day AT orders and did my board via VTC with our gaining command. I was actively avoiding getting it as I had surface and air already and felt like a got blackballed by ship's company LCPO back when IDW was first introduced.

I am in an IWC reserve command but they cant get their act together putting together a training regime and our parent command has no interest in bringing us in to clutter up the floor trying to get signatures. We do all our AT's were we drill. It's the pits and I can't wait to either go back to CPF or some command that at least I get to travel for AT.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

There's a waiver for everything, you can get the 180 day requirement waived if you ask. Also having a pin as a reservist would put you head and shoulders above your peers when it comes time for evals or ranking for board if you some how make IT1 and then board for CPO.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 30, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah get your surface pin it should be a breeze there.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1278185268722401280?s=20

If I hadn't enlisted as an IS, I would have joined as a JO (precursor to MC)

Edit: During one of the HA/DR missions we were staff for, I got the opportunity to help public affairs because we weren't supposed to do any intel things possible according to our Commodore. I then found out that the MCs got to spend months learning to Photoshop and I was really jealous.

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 1, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

Virginia Beach isn't terrible,

Whoa. It's gotten better since 1992, then?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Madurai posted:

poo poo, it's gotten better since 2010?

I spent two years there, but was mostly deployed and hated every loving thing about the entire area. My wife absolutely loved it.

Best part of my 10 years was Guam. The cable sucked (purely due to CoC), land was okay, but the island itself was probably the high point of my life. Wife and I still trying to get back as civs.

ACU5, which included a rehash of the worst part of my cable CoC, was the absolute loving worst and why I ended up getting out. I pinned E6 like two weeks before my 5yrs mark, got out a month shy of 10, and regret nothing about doing so.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

iwentdoodie posted:

poo poo, it's gotten better since 2010?

I spent two years there, but was mostly deployed and hated every loving thing about the entire area. My wife absolutely loved it.

Best part of my 10 years was Guam. The cable sucked (purely due to CoC), land was okay, but the island itself was probably the high point of my life. Wife and I still trying to get back as civs.

ACU5, which included a rehash of the worst part of my cable CoC, was the absolute loving worst and why I ended up getting out. I pinned E6 like two weeks before my 5yrs mark, got out a month shy of 10, and regret nothing about doing so.

Guam = strip clubs. Never seem so many blonde girls who grew up rough in Pittsburgh until I went to Guam.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Howard Phillips posted:

Guam = strip clubs. Never seem so many blonde girls who grew up rough in Pittsburgh until I went to Guam.

Any theories as to why Pittsburgh specifically? That's a...specific pipeline.

I mean I suppose Guam is pretty much the opposite of western Pennsylvania but even so.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Madurai posted:

It isn't a real city. I was first stationed in Norfolk in 2000 when I was a babby squid. I drove around town and there was basically nothing to do.

They built a "Town Center" which is a cute little idea of a downtown area. It's a semi-upscale outdoor mall with one tallish building.

I came back to the area in 2012, married with one small kid, and VA Beach was uhh, OK. We're snobby organic/non-poo poo food shoppers. There is a Whole Foods. There is a Trader Joe's. There's a giant antique bazaar that is pretty loving cool. The aquarium is pretty good. The beach, while completely inferior to anything from my home in California, is just OK during off-season months when it's not packed full of visitors. The strip is just hotels. Off the strip is just lovely motels. The shadow of the strip eclipses the beach and it weirds me out. It's like Atlantic/Ocean City without the saltwater taffy. There are some pretty good places to eat in the "Vibe District" near the oceanfront, and up on Shore Drive. My daughter's elementary school is like 90% white, ALL of the teachers are white, there is only one male teacher, and all of that seems crazy to me and my wife who grew up in SOCAL. It's real WASP'Y up in here. Anyway, I hope we get to leave. Endless subdivision, cultureless, strip mall hell.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

DustyNuts posted:

Endless subdivision, cultureless, strip mall hell.

So - most of America.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I lived up in Hampton within walking distance of Buckroe Beach. Wasn't a great house or great neighborhood, but in retrospect not an awful place to live at all. Lots of shopping, dining, and education/enrichment options open in the area. I definitely prefer it to rural Oregon where I live now. The only exception is there is no close skiing opportunity in VA.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Norfolk is great if your idea of a good time is traveling around and seeing museums and ancient battlefields. Place is absolutely surrounded by ingesting stuff

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DustyNuts posted:

It isn't a real city. I was first stationed in Norfolk in 2000 when I was a babby squid. I drove around town and there was basically nothing to do.

They built a "Town Center" which is a cute little idea of a downtown area. It's a semi-upscale outdoor mall with one tallish building.

I came back to the area in 2012, married with one small kid, and VA Beach was uhh, OK. We're snobby organic/non-poo poo food shoppers. There is a Whole Foods. There is a Trader Joe's. There's a giant antique bazaar that is pretty loving cool. The aquarium is pretty good. The beach, while completely inferior to anything from my home in California, is just OK during off-season months when it's not packed full of visitors. The strip is just hotels. Off the strip is just lovely motels. The shadow of the strip eclipses the beach and it weirds me out. It's like Atlantic/Ocean City without the saltwater taffy. There are some pretty good places to eat in the "Vibe District" near the oceanfront, and up on Shore Drive. My daughter's elementary school is like 90% white, ALL of the teachers are white, there is only one male teacher, and all of that seems crazy to me and my wife who grew up in SOCAL. It's real WASP'Y up in here. Anyway, I hope we get to leave. Endless subdivision, cultureless, strip mall hell.

I was stationed in Norfolk and live in VA Beach 2004-2006 and yeah... I always described it to other people as "a suburb without a city."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was stationed in Norfolk and live in VA Beach 2004-2006 and yeah... I always described it to other people as "a suburb without a city."

"Plano, Texas, but with a beach" was my impression of it then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Flint, Michigan, but with a beach.

...and permanent life support courtesy of the military. >.>

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
The food scene in the Norfolk/VA Beach area is decent if you know where to go. I'm sure as hell not in a rush to go back to Norfolk, but I didn't abhor my time there.

And is Guam worth renting a car and driving around? When Fitz went out there it felt so small and dull. Everyone raved about the Brazillian steakhouse, but it was just eh. I think most of us just found our own little bars to hang out in and that was that.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

The Valley Stared posted:

And is Guam worth renting a car and driving around? When Fitz went out there it felt so small and dull. Everyone raved about the Brazillian steakhouse, but it was just eh.

I've heard there's a lot of fun things to do during the day, and renting a car would probably make it easier to get around the island. But we hardly ever got time off during the day whenever we pulled in, so we mostly saw bars and strip clubs.

As far as the steakhouse, you have to realize most of the people raving about it have been eating boat food for the better part of the previous 6 months.

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 3, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you are a well built dark skinned person you can just pop your shirt off in downtown Guam and Lil' Anne will probably come by to scoop you up. I would never have believed it myself until the guys in my division proved it to me. This was a few years back though. Lil' Anne might have settled down. (Or had a coronary; she was not as little as her name implies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's definitely easy to fixate on certain things if your frame of reference is a boat. The dumb Jack Brown's burger place in Norfolk became one for a bunch of merchant guys even though it's a chain and the burgers are small, but I did see a first engineer eat nine burgers once so that was funny