Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Guam also has (or at least had) the second location (of two) for the Bremerton bar the Horse and Cow. They are pretty Navtastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's weird, but every so often I'll get a hankering for a Zero's Grub Steak & Cheese. It's a glorified Steak'umm S&C hoagie, but it's one of those childhood memories things. Good thing there's one of them in Richmond because the only time I ever voluntarily go down to Norfolk or Langley anymore is when I go there for work. Even then, 90 minutes - under *ideal* circumstances - is hardly worth doing more than once every 6-12 months.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 3, 2020

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Guam also has (or at least had) the second location (of two) for the Bremerton bar the Horse and Cow. They are pretty Navtastic.

I doubt it's going anywhere soon. Last time I was there about 3 years ago, it was still tradition to take a brow banner and sign it and leave it with them when we pulled in. They did have pretty decent bar food. And I have video of our captain on the mechanical bull.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Guam is interesting. Its a beautiful tropical island if you can get away from the military there.

As a submarine there its a fun time if you can control your spending.

As a carrier the sheer number of people mean you have to flee far from the main drag to escape the sheer concentrated navy dumbassery. But it can be that gorgeous tropical island if you do escape.

For regular ships the best advice is to avoid the strip clubs and just relax on the beaches. There are a bunch of nice spots even in downtown. Sunday mornings always have champagne brunches at a few of the hotels which are nice. Lot of beach side bars to go to if you're willing to spend money.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My memory of Guam was driving around it in circles for 4 days while we nearly sunk 2 smallboats trying to drag up our broken tb-29 array that would not retrieve. We never pulled in. Good times.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I sat at the Beach Bar drinking Mai Thais while the search and rescue helicopters scoured the coasts looking for the dumbass Marine that, despite two weeks worth of warnings against, got drunk our first day there and drowned when he went swimming somewhere there were no lifeguards. Never did find his body.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hekk posted:

I sat at the Beach Bar drinking Mai Thais while the search and rescue helicopters scoured the coasts looking for the dumbass Marine that, despite two weeks worth of warnings against, got drunk our first day there and drowned when he went swimming somewhere there were no lifeguards. Never did find his body.

My memories of pulling into Guam are

- hearing USCG rattle off two week old missing persons on VHF
- wandering around with swamp crotch looking for wifi
- getting recalled because of a storm, but not getting underway until our originally scheduled time
- k-mart
- that mall that reminds of growing up while malls were dying before they were truly dead

But most of all,

- Reluctant safety briefs from chiefs. "This is Guam, you have you be careful out there. Everyone is trying to collect. Some of you are going to mast--I dont know who, but this war and there are casualties. Someones going to miss LIBEX. Someone's going to fight a taxi cab driver. At least one of you will go down for frat and at least one of you will marry a local who's actually from Reno. Its just statistics. Watch out for one another, check your sectors, don't let your buddy buy the stripper out for the night, and we might just make it back to the ship with our careers intact." Chief turns to the divo and wipes his eyes, "it never gets any easier, sending young men and women into danger. I'm going out with the mess--if I don't make it back, don't look for me."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My wife still compares every burger she gets to the blue cheese burger there.

Wings were also legit. I spent way too much time, money and brain cells in that bar.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife still compares every burger she gets to the blue cheese burger there.

Wings were also legit. I spent way too much time, money and brain cells in that bar.

I found the burger to be too sloppy at the Bremerton location. Was just a mess.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My first Guam experience was going to the NEX and buying Skyrim, coming back to the boat and finding out I needed to download the whole loving game, then spending the next 5 hours at the laundromat on base.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
That laundromat is the scene when a ship pulls in.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I remember a guy getting beat, and mind you I don't mean that he was spanked in a sexy way, but really beat on stage with a leather belt by a stripper at Vikings. Then some guy slapped a stripper on the rear end and she started hitting him in the face until two really giant Pacific islander bouncers picked him up like a sack of potatoes and bodily carried him out parallel to the floor -- and we're talking about a 250 lb guy

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

US Berder Patrol posted:

I remember a guy getting beat, and mind you I don't mean that he was spanked in a sexy way, but really beat on stage with a leather belt by a stripper at Vikings. Then some guy slapped a stripper on the rear end and she started hitting him in the face until two really giant Pacific islander bouncers picked him up like a sack of potatoes and bodily carried him out parallel to the floor -- and we're talking about a 250 lb guy

A stripper at Vikings tied a friend to the big ship's wheel and then proceeded to ram a bud lite bottle down his rear end crack.

I knew they were actually my true friends when they stopped me from drunkenly drinking it by accident because it was on the table.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I got belted by a stripper at Vikings. Its a fun experience. I kept making fun of her "weak" smacks until it escalated to the point where I was cripplingly sore the next day. I got some free shots from the club staff for the entertaining show though.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
While I didn't go to any of the strip clubs in Guam other than to check for sailors (gently caress, even I remember hearing about Vikings), I had a friend that made some poor life choices at some of them.

I had shore patrol one night, and for the most part, we were just looking for sailors that were on the verge of making poor decisions but hadn't yet crossed that threshold. We hit one club and picked up a few sailors, and man, when one of them realized that I was in the van, they about lost it. Not in a, "gently caress YOU DCA! Imma gently caress you!" kinda way, but a "Oh, poo poo, DCA is in here? Oh man, what's she going to think of me now?" I was doing my utmost to reassure this sailor that it was alright, I didn't think any less of them, and that I understood that they were just letting out steam.

We drive back to the ship around midnight and drop off the sailors, explaining to the CDO that they aren't in trouble, we just wanted to make sure that they got back safely. We figure that we're good, and all go to sleep. This is where the story begins.

As I said, I had a friend that made some poor life choices. Well, he and another buddy had previously had a hotel but didn't book it for multiple days. They figured that they'd easily be able to get another room at the same place. When 4 ships are all in at the same time, this is not the case as we all know. He and buddy went to multiple places and got pretty hosed up. One trip included a strip club where my friend racked up a $600 tab buying drinks for the strippers. His card was declined, and buddy was kind enough to cover for him. They meander over to the hotel, find out that there are no rooms left, and friend gets sick in the lobby bad enough to warrant a trip to the navy hospital.

Shore patrol didn't know ANY of this until early the next morning. We were looking out for the enlisted sailors. We weren't looking for officers being stupid. Anyway, friend does make it back to the ship, I've heard about everything by this point, he comes and gets me to talk about what happened. I brought him over to the R and A locker, he sits down, and just goes, "I hosed up." I replied, "Yeah, you did."

We talked about it, one of our Mustangs came in and yelled at him, but that's the worst that happened. I kept watch on him the rest of the trip to make sure that he didn't drink to excess, but he was good.

Still, managing to run up a $600 tab to have your card declined? It might have been at Vikings too. I remember DCC saying to stay away from there because no good decisions were ever made at Vikings.

That's my only good Guam story. I am a boring person for the most part. gently caress, even my hobby of collecting antique swords is pretty mundane all things considered. I don't even get to see them for 95% of the year.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

hobby of collecting antique swords

Go on...

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

McNally posted:

Go on...

Not an empty post.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

McNally posted:

Go on...

I have a few. One is a 701 year old short sword (made in 1319 give or take), one is a sword made sometime between the 1670s and early 1680s, my dagger was made in 1847, I have a WWII K-BAR that I got from my grandpa when he died, and I also have a morning-star from him, though the age of that is very unclear (Likely an early 1900s replica, but it's still cool looking).

The short-sword is my avatar in Discord. It was originally a pole-arm and then sometime in the 1500s someone decided it would be better off as their short-sword. So it was cut down and converted.

I want to get more into buying Middle-Eastern/European swords too, but since I tend to send my antiques to my folks' house because I move so much, I don't want to overburden them. My dad thinks it's cool at least, so he doesn't mind too much.

Edit: I forgot my semi-antique Kukuri that my friend Mohan helped get me. Likely 1950's there, but hard to tell to be honest.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I have a few. One is a 701 year old short sword (made in 1319 give or take), one is a sword made sometime between the 1670s and early 1680s, my dagger was made in 1847, I have a WWII K-BAR that I got from my grandpa when he died, and I also have a morning-star from him, though the age of that is very unclear (Likely an early 1900s replica, but it's still cool looking).

The short-sword is my avatar in Discord. It was originally a pole-arm and then sometime in the 1500s someone decided it would be better off as their short-sword. So it was cut down and converted.

I want to get more into buying Middle-Eastern/European swords too, but since I tend to send my antiques to my folks' house because I move so much, I don't want to overburden them. My dad thinks it's cool at least, so he doesn't mind too much.

Edit: I forgot my semi-antique Kukuri that my friend Mohan helped get me. Likely 1950's there, but hard to tell to be honest.

Man, that's loving awesome.

Also way more antique than I was expecting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you ever make it to the Bay Area, CA there's a gunsmith and sword expert who runs a shop called Krausewerk in San Mateo. He has a legit collection of antiques weaponry from around the world for sale and certainly the largest collection of Japanese blades iv ever seen. All for sale, some inexpensive some astronomical. Sadly he is very old but he was still up and around last year.

Anyways first "steel" picnic was a success. CivMars made us a bunch of "tubs" and I got a nice soak. Various chatter says we may get to leave the ship soon, perhaps a month, so that's something to look forward too.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

If you ever make it to the Bay Area, CA there's a gunsmith and sword expert who runs a shop called Krausewerk in San Mateo. He has a legit collection of antiques weaponry from around the world for sale and certainly the largest collection of Japanese blades iv ever seen. All for sale, some inexpensive some astronomical. Sadly he is very old but he was still up and around last year.

Anyways first "steel" picnic was a success. CivMars made us a bunch of "tubs" and I got a nice soak. Various chatter says we may get to leave the ship soon, perhaps a month, so that's something to look forward too.

Fuuuuuuuck. I lived in Monterey up through last summer. I only made the drive to San Fran once for a concert and swore I was never doing that again. Had I known about that guy I likely would have made another trip or two up. Maybe if we actually get to travel again I'll try and make a trip to San Mateo to see what he has. Not like my Ireland trip is going to happen any time soon.

I don't mind putting down some money for swords if the quality is there. As long as you take care of them, and the want is there, they'll keep going up in value. Getting them appraised by the proper people is the key thing though. The certificates issued (or not issued) by the NBTHK for swords in Japan will make or break the value. The dagger I own hadn't been appraised when I bought it, and the shop/gentleman I bought it from told me that if it didn't at least get the lowest level certificate (which is still difficult to achieve), he'd buy back the dagger. After it was finally appraised, it ended up getting the second rank up from lowest, and the value went up about $1500.

Congratulations on your first successful Steel Beach picnic, Crab Dad. Hopefully, you will get to leave the ship too. 7th fleet has some beautiful places.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Call them. Make sure they are still operating. I’ve bought 3 guns over 10 years and he always remember what he sold me. He’s a good man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Went there with another gipper once. It's an odd shop, lots of WW2 guns.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/navy_reserve/status/1280619772053512192?s=20

Retribution toward the SELRES who posted in that thread within the FY

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Fall PRT is canceled, have another slice of victory pie. :chiefsay:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Fall PRT is canceled, have another slice of victory pie. :chiefsay:

It's been more than 1 year since I've done a PRT and with my squadrons cycles it'll be almost another year until the next Spring cycle one. :iia:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooray shoreleave in Athens! Apparently we need to ROM at sea for a few weeks before we can pull in anywhere else but still. Still waiting to see if they are going to extend my orders after I volunteered for another 6 months.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Hooray shoreleave in Athens! Apparently we need to ROM at sea for a few weeks before we can pull in anywhere else but still. Still waiting to see if they are going to extend my orders after I volunteered for another 6 months.

Athens was dope, climb up the acropolis and take pictures of the parthenon and the other temples up there, but be warned, the entire acropolis is a marble upwelling, and so it is slick as poo poo and you will bust your face or rear end if you are not careful.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

marble upwelling

that kind of rock does not work like that

We had to have some carbonate rock and that rock (probably limestone) had to be pressed or cooked into marble, and I dunno exactly what kind of tectonic regime we're discussing, but a given outcrop of marble was probably exposed by erosion. Whatever the case may be, I assure you that the deposition and eventual metamorphosis of calcite-dominated sediments does not "upwell"

edit: maybe in the case of a travertine spring building up over time (e.g.like Mammoth in Yellowstone NP), but that would create limestone, and not the interlocking calcite crystals of marble and I am willing the bet that's not what the Acropolis is built on

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 9, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

LingcodKilla posted:

Get some Kebabs

O Thanasis
Mitropoleos 69, Athina 105 55, Greece
+30 21 0324 4705
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9vh49KBXe6gVUhLs5

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

We had to have some carbonate rock and that rock (probably limestone) had to be pressed or cooked into marble, and I dunno exactly what kind of tectonic regime we're discussing, but a given outcrop of marble was probably exposed by erosion. Whatever the case may be, I assure you that the deposition and eventual metamorphosis of calcite-dominated sediments does not "upwell"

edit: maybe in the case of a travertine spring building up over time (e.g.like Mammoth in Yellowstone NP), but that would create limestone, and not the interlocking calcite crystals of marble and I am willing the bet that's not what the Acropolis is built on

This post is extremely my poo poo.

e: Is this Crab Dad's first port visit?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LingcodKilla posted:

Summer in Athens is pretty rough, make sure to hydrate and stay cool. Athens is neat for approximately 3 days and then is boring as hell

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

Summer in Athens is pretty rough, make sure to hydrate and stay cool. Athens is neat for approximately 3 days and then is boring as hell

Athens was the ending of our honeymoon Adriatic cruise from Venice in 2017. As you mentioned, we stayed a day too long and we were looking forward to returning stateside.

I would highly recommend going to Oineas in downtown Athens (https://goo.gl/maps/6in18vHjcxCGs5dx8). I got the lamb shank and my husband got the beef shank for dinner and it was substantial and delicious.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This post is extremely my schist.

Fixed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah IANAG. The point is that the Parthenon is built on top of the Acropolis, which is a gigantic exposed outcrop of marble, and it is slick as poo poo and you will bust your face.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

gneiss

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I was cummingtonite just thinking about making this exact post

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Glad to see everyone has a healthy apatite for geology puns

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;