Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Okay, so if this guy were enlisted, his commitment has a firm end date? And if he doesn't renew his commitment by that end date, my assumption is he would miss the deadline to go to Great Lakes, and would have to wait until the next session, thereby also missing the nearest deadline for Coronado.

Would missing his renewal date discharge him from the navy? Would he still be eligible to re-enlist and catch the next session if so?

Would a major injury like an ACL tear effectively ruin someone's chances at getting into buds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1308145605076713473?s=20

Lot of rust, what was deck department doing?

[goes back to -20* SCIF]

I thought you only flew the Jolly Roger when you wanted to :smug: about having accomplished a classified mission (SOP for the Carter) or if you'd actually scored a mission kill. Or is it just a general "Mission Accomplished" humblebrag thing?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 22, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Okay, so if this guy were enlisted, his commitment has a firm end date? And if he doesn't renew his commitment by that end date, my assumption is he would miss the deadline to go to Great Lakes, and would have to wait until the next session, thereby also missing the nearest deadline for Coronado.

Would missing his renewal date discharge him from the navy? Would he still be eligible to re-enlist and catch the next session if so?

Would a major injury like an ACL tear effectively ruin someone's chances at getting into buds?

if you want maximum realism have him in as some random rate because he was lied to about going to BUDS by his recruiter then his package gets denied because his year group and paygrade are at 99.7% manning and they won't allow anyone to leave until it's 100%. then when it is his year group is overmanned for SEAL so they reject his package. then he marries a girl from tinder after a month of dating because she hates her parents and wants to piss them off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

if you want maximum realism have him in as some random rate because he was lied to about going to BUDS by his recruiter then his package gets denied because his year group and paygrade are at 99.7% manning and they won't allow anyone to leave until it's 100%. then when it is his year group is overmanned for SEAL so they reject his package. then he marries a girl from tinder after a month of dating because she hates her parents and wants to piss them off.

It sounds like he's writing a *thriller*, not a realistic *horror* novel. :colbert:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought you only flew the Jolly Roger when you wanted to :smug: about having accomplished a classified mission (SOP for the Carter) or if you'd actually scored a mission kill. Or is it just a general "Mission Accomplished" humblebrag thing?

Kidd supposedly has special permission to fly the Jolly Roger because during the WW2 war effort, her namesake vessel's namesake was mistaken to be a pirate of great renown in New England (it was actually for Rear Admiral Kidd who died on the bridge of USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor). I read somewhere that its the only US Navy warship with permission to fly Jolly Roger, though that could just be rumor.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It sounds like he's writing a *thriller*, not a realistic *horror* novel. :colbert:

This is correct

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1308145605076713473?s=20

Lot of rust, what was deck department doing?

[goes back to -20* SCIF]

What the hell is a "differently abled deployment"?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

In general yes, once your enlistment term ends, if you don't re-enlist then you separate from the Navy. It's not a spur-of-the-moment thing, it gets worked out months ahead of time with your command career counselor because it impacts potential follow-on orders or transfers, as well as manning requirements for the command. Like you wouldn't just come in to work one morning and go "oh poo poo, I forgot to re-enlist" and be kicked out. And if you're trying to go to BUD/S, you're definitely going to re-enlist if needed.

I don't know if an ACL tear would be disqualifying; you can search around for "Navy special warfare medical requirements" or variations on that to try and find some official guidelines. My gut feeling is that if he's able to get it repaired and can physically handle the training it should be okay, but I'm not an expert. Some things Navy medicine is willing to waive pretty easily and some things they're real hardasses about.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
stole from the geedunk fund, an unforgivable crime

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
On his way to BUD/S he gets in an accident and breaks his leg. At the hospital the .mildoc botches setting it and gives him an infection.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I knew a SWO that started as a BUD/S candidate and got kicked out because he broke his femur during training. BUD/S didn't want to wait around for him to heal, so he became a SWO. If they like you, they'll let you heal up if they break you. If they don't see that special something, they will break you and not give a gently caress.

So, if our sailor already had an ACL tear prior to even going, as Wingnut Ninja said, if he could handle all of the poo poo, he'd probably be fine but might just have to have a waiver. If he couldn't and he reaggravated the injury during the training, they'll break him more and throw him back out to the fleet.

People hear about this mess? https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-uss-dextrous-toxic-command-climate-survey Some of it seems to just be normal griping, but the whole "CHENG punched a dude" is an interesting take.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Okay, so this dude is gonna gently caress the nearest nco. Got it.

Also thanks for the answers!

My best friend from college married another 2nd LT when they graduated basic or whatever Marines do. He went to Pensacola, she went to Iraq and slept with a Gunnery SGT with almost 20 years in. Next time I saw him all he could talk about was how she had his guns taken away during the divorce cause she was afraid for her life.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 22, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

piL posted:

Kidd supposedly has special permission to fly the Jolly Roger because during the WW2 war effort, her namesake vessel's namesake was mistaken to be a pirate of great renown in New England (it was actually for Rear Admiral Kidd who died on the bridge of USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor). I read somewhere that its the only US Navy warship with permission to fly Jolly Roger, though that could just be rumor.

It was pretty SOP for any submarine returning from westpac to fly one when I was in Hawaii.

edit : pretty much all returning boats did 2 special missions during the 6 month deployment

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In general yes, once your enlistment term ends, if you don't re-enlist then you separate from the Navy. It's not a spur-of-the-moment thing, it gets worked out months ahead of time with your command career counselor because it impacts potential follow-on orders or transfers, as well as manning requirements for the command. Like you wouldn't just come in to work one morning and go "oh poo poo, I forgot to re-enlist" and be kicked out. And if you're trying to go to BUD/S, you're definitely going to re-enlist if needed.

I don't know if an ACL tear would be disqualifying; you can search around for "Navy special warfare medical requirements" or variations on that to try and find some official guidelines. My gut feeling is that if he's able to get it repaired and can physically handle the training it should be okay, but I'm not an expert. Some things Navy medicine is willing to waive pretty easily and some things they're real hardasses about.

okay, so it seems like simply missing an appointment to re-enlist wouldn't really work, since he would likely have scheduled the appointment weeks in advance.

i'll have to think some more on this. i want to make sure the path this kid has laid out for himself doesn't happen, and he's left looking for something new. maybe i could do something like he's getting out of enlistment because he's got a job lined up, but that falls through because his mom is murdered.

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 22, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell is a "differently abled deployment"?

I believe they are using that phrase instead of the word "retarded". I don't quite understand the intent, or if it was sarcasm, or what.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, what about an unauthorized absence? What's the penalty for that? I've been talking to an old marine vet friend of mine (he's been out for 40 years) and he says he disappeared for a week, and was subsequently demoted from E4 to E2. When he finished his enlistment 6 months later, he was honorably discharged, but not eligible to re-enlist. Would the punishment be similar today?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Every time it was cold, his ankle hurt. It was cold a lot back home. He remembered being laid up in the Branch Health Clinic in Coronado on the worst day of his life, looking down at the elevated leg that had failed him and would eventually result in his ringing out of the program. 'Now I'll *never* get my book deal,' he remembered tearfully lamenting."

If you want my advice, if you want to give the guy a bit more of a backstory, if he had been a SWCC crewman who decided to "go deeper" and ended up loving himself up badly enough in BUD/S to lose *both* things, that'd be way more dramatic, because he'd have had a better idea/'taste' of what it is he'd lost. Alternatively, given that SEALs are gigantic primadonnas nowadays - maybe make him a lesser-known yet still badass service like Air Force Pararescue. Maybe he busted/shattered his leg because of a surprise downdraft on a jump.

I know it's instant familiarity for a reader, but SEALs have honestly been done to death in the past two decades. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 22, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A re-enlistment ceremony is a formality, anyways. If you missed it your skipper or whoever might be mad at you, but you're still gonna sign the paperwork to do it. Missing that is just going to merit an asschewing. It won't have a real impact on a sailor's career unless he works for the worst kind of petty prick.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I have some experience sending dudes to BUD/S. Things like ACL tears (& common sports injuries) are alright as long as the guy is totally recovered. Lots of high school/college athletes go to BUD/S, and many of them had prior injuries. You should decide if your character is enlisted or officer because that will significantly change the details of the application process. The officer side was covered well, so I'll write about the E-dawg side.

The vast majority of enlisted guys that go to BUD/S without joining the Navy under a SEAL contract will go near the completion of their first tour of duty - 3 to 5 years of service. Sailors that DID join with a SEAL contract and washed out of BUD/S can apply to go back, as long as the reason they dropped doesn't disqualify them (integrity violation, NJP, etc. Quitting on your own normally means you aren't barred from trying again.). Anyone selected to BUD/S with 6+ years of service got a waiver, which is increasingly rare.

So for max realism: An enlisted dude in the Fleet, in his first term of service (3-6 years), that applies for BUD/S and gets accepted would not be reenlisting prior to leaving his command to Great Lakes for pre-BUD/S. The Navy has a program called OBLISERV-To-Train (OTT) that allows Sailors to extend their enlistments to the graduation date of their school (SEAL Qualification Training - SQT - in this case) so they can then immediately reenlist for a Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB), usually around $45,000 - $60,000.

So if your guy was all set to go to Great Lakes with his orders to BUD/S and OTT extension done, then something prevented him from getting there, the Navy has cause to cancel the extension to which he agreed. The contract extension is conditional on if the Sailor receives the benefit of the extension or not. If it's something like a catastrophic family situation (car accident kills parents and nobody can take care of siblings, that kind of thing) then the Navy will consider a humanitarian reassignment or discharge (HUMS). If it's due to misconduct (jail/prison time like you mentioned) then the Navy can just cancel the extension, not recommend retention, and discharge the Sailor at the completion of the original enlistment, or sooner if legally determined.

Source: Admin guy in the Navy for 20 years. If you want more details or info for authenticity hit me up in PMs. If this is all useless for you that's fine too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Alright, what about an unauthorized absence? What's the penalty for that? I've been talking to an old marine vet friend of mine (he's been out for 40 years) and he says he disappeared for a week, and was subsequently demoted from E4 to E2. When he finished his enlistment 6 months later, he was honorably discharged, but not eligible to re-enlist. Would the punishment be similar today?

It depends on the length, really. If you're UA for missing duty because you overslept or something, you'll probably just get chewed out by your chief and given extra duty days as a punishment if it's not a repeat offense. If you repeatedly miss duty, or you gently caress off for a week that's gonna be more serious, so your marine buddy probably got a UCMJ Article 15 non-judicial punishment (NJP; in the Navy it's also called Captain's Mast or CO's Mast, I think the Marines just call it an Article 15 or NJP). That's a more formal process where you go in front of the CO and get charged with various UCMJ violations and the CO decides if you're guilty, and if so, what punishment you get, which can include loss of rank. Even for that they're probably not going to kick you out, but it's not going to be good for your long term career prospects.

And if you go UA for more than 29 days, you get listed as a deserter and the command can put out a warrant for your arrest. That's when you get into court martial territory.

If your character gets his plans derailed for going UA, that's basically painting him as a gently caress up who torpedoes his own ambitions by being dumb. And worse, it's a really mundane, boring kind of dumb. It's not much different from being fired for missing too many shifts at McDonald's. If that's what you're going for, I'd say it works great. If you want something a little more tragic or sympathetic you'll want a different reason.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Yes, it could be. Normally a single period of UA for less than 30 days (as a single offense) isn't enough to get administratively separated, but it's certainly possible depending on the circumstances. When combined with other offenses or a history of misconduct then yeah, you're done. If your enlistment ends and you have lovely evaluations/not recommended for retention, the code on the DD-214 (RE-4) indicates that you are not welcome back in any branch.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Every time it was cold, his ankle hurt. It was cold a lot back home. He remembered being laid up in the Branch Health Clinic in Coronado on the worst day of his life, looking down at the elevated leg that had failed him and would eventually result in his ringing out of the program. 'Now I'll *never* get my book deal,' he remembered tearfully lamenting."

If you want my advice, if you want to give the guy a bit more of a backstory, if he had been a SWCC crewman who decided to "go deeper" and ended up loving himself up badly enough in BUD/S to lose *both* things, that'd be way more dramatic, because he'd have had a better idea/'taste' of what it is he'd lost. Alternatively, given that SEALs are gigantic primadonnas nowadays - maybe make him a lesser-known yet still badass service like Air Force Pararescue. Maybe he busted/shattered his leg because of a surprise downdraft on a jump.

I know it's instant familiarity for a reader, but SEALs have honestly been done to death in the past two decades. =/

i actually have a pararescue character in another series! They are indeed super badass.

i'm going SEAL because it's very typical military kid sort of dream, which this character has from a young age. having it taken away from him leaves him feeling lost and searching for meaning in something else (he joins a crew of stick-up men who rob smugglers in the Caribbean).

DustyNuts posted:

I have some experience sending dudes to BUD/S. Things like ACL tears (& common sports injuries) are alright as long as the guy is totally recovered. Lots of high school/college athletes go to BUD/S, and many of them had prior injuries. You should decide if your character is enlisted or officer because that will significantly change the details of the application process. The officer side was covered well, so I'll write about the E-dawg side.

The vast majority of enlisted guys that go to BUD/S without joining the Navy under a SEAL contract will go near the completion of their first tour of duty - 3 to 5 years of service. Sailors that DID join with a SEAL contract and washed out of BUD/S can apply to go back, as long as the reason they dropped doesn't disqualify them (integrity violation, NJP, etc. Quitting on your own normally means you aren't barred from trying again.). Anyone selected to BUD/S with 6+ years of service got a waiver, which is increasingly rare.

So for max realism: An enlisted dude in the Fleet, in his first term of service (3-6 years), that applies for BUD/S and gets accepted would not be reenlisting prior to leaving his command to Great Lakes for pre-BUD/S. The Navy has a program called OBLISERV-To-Train (OTT) that allows Sailors to extend their enlistments to the graduation date of their school (SEAL Qualification Training - SQT - in this case) so they can then immediately reenlist for a Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB), usually around $45,000 - $60,000.

So if your guy was all set to go to Great Lakes with his orders to BUD/S and OTT extension done, then something prevented him from getting there, the Navy has cause to cancel the extension to which he agreed. The contract extension is conditional on if the Sailor receives the benefit of the extension or not. If it's something like a catastrophic family situation (car accident kills parents and nobody can take care of siblings, that kind of thing) then the Navy will consider a humanitarian reassignment or discharge (HUMS). If it's due to misconduct (jail/prison time like you mentioned) then the Navy can just cancel the extension, not recommend retention, and discharge the Sailor at the completion of the original enlistment, or sooner if legally determined.

Source: Admin guy in the Navy for 20 years. If you want more details or info for authenticity hit me up in PMs. If this is all useless for you that's fine too.

no this is extremely useful. thanks!

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 22, 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It depends on the length, really. If you're UA for missing duty because you overslept or something, you'll probably just get chewed out by your chief and given extra duty days as a punishment if it's not a repeat offense. If you repeatedly miss duty, or you gently caress off for a week that's gonna be more serious, so your marine buddy probably got a UCMJ Article 15 non-judicial punishment (NJP; in the Navy it's also called Captain's Mast or CO's Mast, I think the Marines just call it an Article 15 or NJP). That's a more formal process where you go in front of the CO and get charged with various UCMJ violations and the CO decides if you're guilty, and if so, what punishment you get, which can include loss of rank. Even for that they're probably not going to kick you out, but it's not going to be good for your long term career prospects.

And if you go UA for more than 29 days, you get listed as a deserter and the command can put out a warrant for your arrest. That's when you get into court martial territory.

If your character gets his plans derailed for going UA, that's basically painting him as a gently caress up who torpedoes his own ambitions by being dumb. And worse, it's a really mundane, boring kind of dumb. It's not much different from being fired for missing too many shifts at McDonald's. If that's what you're going for, I'd say it works great. If you want something a little more tragic or sympathetic you'll want a different reason.

I always wondered about the arrest thing. Is the 30 days thing requirement to haul some dude in? Like if seaman schmuckatelli lives off base says gently caress you chief I’m not coming in to work so I can play Xbox, does the command have to wait 30 days before they can send the civilian authority to get him?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
speaking of UA/AWOL, did I tell you guys how a bunch of people in my old unit popped for coke and one of the kids in my old squad was dealing it and is now AWOL? pretty cool. bet he made like, at least 2 grand.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Proust Malone posted:

I always wondered about the arrest thing. Is the 30 days thing requirement to haul some dude in? Like if seaman schmuckatelli lives off base says gently caress you chief I’m not coming in to work so I can play Xbox, does the command have to wait 30 days before they can send the civilian authority to get him?

I'm pretty sure anyone from the command can just go get him. They just can't enlist the help of civilian law enforcement until then. And there's still a whole host of other UCMJ violations they can mast him for. Insubordination, violating a direct order, etc etc.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Proust Malone posted:

That's a good question, I'm not really sure. I was never a Legal O, just a PersO when we had a guy come back at day 29 (got an Admin Sep and a Greyhound bus ticket from California to his home of record in Florida because that was the cheapest possible option). I'm pretty sure you can't get civilian authorities involved before 30 days but I dunno if you could send some MA's around to roll him up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My ex-stepbrother (I guess?) was briefly enlisted in the Navy, did some training, went UA for a couple of weeks, and for some reason contacted his recruiter (Utah). Apparently that's a common thing, so when dudes go missing their recruiters are often notified. Recruiter tells him to report back (San Diego) by Date X or he gets charged with desertion. So he rolls in minutes before the deadline and turns himself in. Under guard, he's brought back to whatever ship to be held, and somehow while on board, being escorted, he manages to steal someone's loving ipod which he's caught with a couple hours later.

That's my Navy UA story.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
He's an LS who got caught selling MRE boxes on craigslist.

He's an IT that got caught selling drmo pile laptops on craigslist.

He's a SUPPO that took his gtcc to Vegas.

So on and so forth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I believe they are using that phrase instead of the word "retarded". I don't quite understand the intent, or if it was sarcasm, or what.

I couldn't tell if it was some new term for something like a tiger cruise but for handicapped family members specifically, or someone trying to be funny by implying the r-word.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

My ex-stepbrother (I guess?) was briefly enlisted in the Navy, did some training, went UA for a couple of weeks, and for some reason contacted his recruiter (Utah). Apparently that's a common thing, so when dudes go missing their recruiters are often notified. Recruiter tells him to report back (San Diego) by Date X or he gets charged with desertion. So he rolls in minutes before the deadline and turns himself in. Under guard, he's brought back to whatever ship to be held, and somehow while on board, being escorted, he manages to steal someone's loving ipod which he's caught with a couple hours later.

That's my Navy UA story.

From my time as a USMC recruiter, anything less than 30 days gone is considered an Unauthorized Absence or Absent Without Leave for the Army and Air Force. Post 30 days it rolls over to a Deserter status. We'd get calls all the time from commands that had guys desert and having young dudes with a bad taste for the mil hanging around your neighborhood is bad for the recruiting business.

The problem lies in that local law enforcement can't go run down deserters for no reason. So often times a recruiter would go to a neighbor's house and make mention of how shameful deserting is to patriotic Americans and it'd sure be a shame if a good Samaritan were to call in a noise complaint on the house that evening. Cops show up for noise complaint and surprise surprise, turns out Johnny is a deserter. They hold him at the station and the Marine Corps would bring in chasers to go get them.

I say all of this, not as an endorsement of actions taken to get deserters back to base. I just mention my observations recruiting 16 years ago or so.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

That's my Navy UA story.

I know a few guys that would fully fit into that story.

It's like stupid just follows them no matter what they try to do.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's coming from inside the skull

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

King of Bees posted:

He's an LS who got caught selling MRE boxes on craigslist.

He's an IT that got caught selling drmo pile laptops on craigslist.

He's a SUPPO that took his gtcc to Vegas.

So on and so forth

Have him drop out of buds and get rerated as an IT with the fairy tale promise of being able to work with the SEALs as a radio bro. Once he gets to Pensacola he realizes how stupid and futile his dream is and gets dropped from his school for drinking with underage sailors and ditching a passed out girl at the local hospital. He goes to mast and gets derated and sent to fleet as undesignated. Knowing life will suck he smokes some weed to fail his piss test and get out.
Also he tries to pick a fight with a real old IT3 at the school house because he “looked at me funny”.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Have him drop out of buds and get rerated as an IT with the fairy tale promise of being able to work with the SEALs as a radio bro. Once he gets to Pensacola he realizes how stupid and futile his dream is and gets dropped from his school for drinking with underage sailors and ditching a passed out girl at the local hospital. He goes to mast and gets derated and sent to fleet as undesignated. Knowing life will suck he smokes some weed to fail his piss test and get out.
Also he tries to pick a fight with a real old IT3 at the school house because he “looked at me funny”.

I can't tell if some of these stories are based on a conglomeration of dudes, or just one dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MonkeyFit posted:

I can't tell if some of these stories are based on a conglomeration of dudes, or just one dude.

That’s exactly one bud-dud I met in A-school.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
we had a SEAL detachment onboard for one mission and their OIC started 90% of his stories with "When I was in the NFL..."

he was on a practice squad for part of one season

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Found you a writing prompt in the idiot thread:

Kith posted:

1st Lt Steven has successfully given herpes to a colonel's wife.

Bonus points: it wasn't even infidelity. The colonel's into wifesharing.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Some of you guys should be writing books, not me.

e: anyway thanks again for all the answers and stories of burnouts. i've got what i need to get this guy rolling. just gonna have him try to go on a short UA, thinking it'll all work out (it won't).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Short UA to go to his high school sweet hearts prom two states over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

DustyNuts posted:

Yes, it could be. Normally a single period of UA for less than 30 days (as a single offense) isn't enough to get administratively separated, but it's certainly possible depending on the circumstances. When combined with other offenses or a history of misconduct then yeah, you're done. If your enlistment ends and you have lovely evaluations/not recommended for retention, the code on the DD-214 (RE-4) indicates that you are not welcome back in any branch.

Can you go into more detail on this?

Current thinking is this character is an E-something, who has just arrived at Great Lakes, calls home, and his mom doesn't answer. He drives 8 hours to Topeka and finds her murdered. Through some method he finds out the murder is tied to smuggling in the Caribbean, so he heads that way to solve it.

Let's say up to now, he's had exemplary conduct. But, he goes UA for 2 weeks. How likely is it that civilian law enforcement comes after him? Can he get on a commercial domestic flight during this time period, or would his UA automatically flag him for detainment by TSA or whoever? Can he fly internationally without being detained (say, to Barbados)?