Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sometimes during our monthly SSMG clean and inspect, when we would get cycled twice with 6 hours of maintenance after watch in a row, I would shut my eyes with my arm deep in the machine and pass out for a moment or two. I'd also skip my after watch meal to sleep for 20 minutes in my rack prior to cleanup because of how tired I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Skipping food for more sleep is a true Navy tradition.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm not the type to nod off easily, but I have stood between the condensers so I would hit my head when I passed out on my feet when I was standing port and stbd ERLL, with 9 hours on, 12 hours of ORSE workup drills, and the last 6 hours back on watch, with a continually worsening hernia.

I also used to make sure that guys who spent their offgoing and oncoming doing maintenance snuck off to the rack before the coner chiefs came back aft for afterwatch when I stood EWS.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I always made an effort to be in the front of the chow line at lunch. Ten minutes eating, fifty minutes rack time.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indonesian-submarine-53-sailors-presumed-dead-navy-says-vessel-sunk-n1265179

Indonesia lost a submarine. Debris was found well below crush depth. I hope it was quick. :(

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/indonesian-submarine-53-sailors-presumed-dead-navy-says-vessel-sunk-n1265179

Indonesia lost a submarine. Debris was found well below crush depth. I hope it was quick. :(

If it makes you feel any better about it being quick, when a submarine experiences an implosion there is a collapse of the pressure hull that takes roughly 30-40 milliseconds. The compression of the air within the submarine is an adiabatic event, similar to a diesel engine, and internal temperature of the submarine very quickly reaches temperatures at or above 1,000 degrees. These events occur faster than a person could "experience" them, so while there would likely be some very fraught last minutes as they attempt to save the ship, no one would be aware of the final event.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I'm aware. This is a better outcome than coming to rest on a shallow part of the ocean and running out of O2. Still sucks that it happened.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If it makes you feel any better about it being quick, when a submarine experiences an implosion there is a collapse of the pressure hull that takes roughly 30-40 milliseconds. The compression of the air within the submarine is an adiabatic event, similar to a diesel engine, and internal temperature of the submarine very quickly reaches temperatures at or above 1,000 degrees. These events occur faster than a person could "experience" them, so while there would likely be some very fraught last minutes as they attempt to save the ship, no one would be aware of the final event.

Well this is going to give me nightmares.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You should watch Underwater.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

You should watch Underwater.

As soon as I saw the trailer (must have been before Avengers End Game?), my brain just yelled "NOOOOOPE."

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Rapid pressure changes are not something we normally think about, but are absolutely horrific. The video below (no gore) details one of the worst pressure change related accidents, the Byford Dolphin diving bell incident. In this incident the pressure change was that of 10 atmospheres or so, the difference between sea level and 100 meters or so. The crush depth of the submarine in this incident was listed as 500 meters, or roughly 50 atmospheres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP01rZDQaB4

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I became an ASTAC so I could hunt subs, because subs scare the poo poo out me. Both because of what they can do and also in general. gently caress submarines.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

delta-P crab

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Rapid pressure changes are not something we normally think about, but are absolutely horrific. The video below (no gore) details one of the worst pressure change related accidents, the Byford Dolphin diving bell incident. In this incident the pressure change was that of 10 atmospheres or so, the difference between sea level and 100 meters or so. The crush depth of the submarine in this incident was listed as 500 meters, or roughly 50 atmospheres.

Well that was horrifying.

Dude's beard is legit though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgKxWlTt8A

I'll say it again, pressure is scary

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 25, 2021

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

We've come a long way since that kinda thing - you couldn't do anything like that to any hyperbaric equipment the Navy operates if you tried.

Speaking of... I'm about to run a recompression chamber on a carrier deployment, any tips besides "bring a hard drive with every piece of media you can get your hands on?"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The gently caress does a carrier need with a decompression chamber?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Doughy Fresh posted:

We've come a long way since that kinda thing - you couldn't do anything like that to any hyperbaric equipment the Navy operates if you tried.

Speaking of... I'm about to run a recompression chamber on a carrier deployment, any tips besides "bring a hard drive with every piece of media you can get your hands on?"

Yeah, I am sure that we have numerous interlocks in place that would prevent the wrong order of operations now. Hard to imagine they did not include any on that vessel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

The environmental control system on the F/A-18 has had a bit of a thing for trying to kill pilots lately, and one of the ways involves massive pressure fluctuations. Treatment for that involves getting put in a hyperbaric chamber for a while to alleviate decompression effects.

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The environmental control system on the F/A-18 has had a bit of a thing for trying to kill pilots lately, and one of the ways involves massive pressure fluctuations. Treatment for that involves getting put in a hyperbaric chamber for a while to alleviate decompression effects.

Pretty much this. We treat it the same way we would with normal decompression sickness, but symptoms tend to present differently in altitude induced dcs - a lot more brain involvement and less spine for severe cases. Most common symptom is still simple joint pain, though

Plus, we can dive ourselves or the EOD det if we need to (or even just want to). You gotta have a NAVSEA approved chamber within 8 hrs to do any dives (sometimes closer depending on your table and schedule), and getting foreign chambers approved is a hassle.

Doughy Fresh fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 25, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Indonesia found the hull, it's in 3 pieces and below 800m. At least it was quick.

:smith:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 18, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

A carrier isn't just a platform for launching planes, but is a mobile logistics hub for all sorts of stuff including medical. Decompression tanks are probably pretty useful, especially for SEALS/EOD. An available decompression chamber would reduce risk to divers if they have to bug out of a dive or suffer an equipment casualty, but may not be available off the coast of hostile nation fushia. If you're going to pay for the weight somewhere in the strike group, the nuclear powered super vessel probably the most economic place to put it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well I’m all done out here. Last day on the ship and awards/going away finished. Managed to get a Nam, a ridiculously high eval and snagged the EP.

Still won’t be home until a year a day after I left due to ROM.

gently caress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Still won’t be home until a year a day after I left

Welp gonna have to file jointly with Jody.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Welp gonna have to file jointly with Jody.

I'll just claim him as a dependent.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I was hoping your drunk rant didn't make you our newest Seaman Apprentice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I was hoping your drunk rant didn't make you our newest Seaman Apprentice.

Yeah I was still tipsy till noon. loving hurting. Nah nothing bad happen we were just in our hotel rooms sausage partying it up.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/SistersofB/status/1388257276536963072?s=19

Good to see to the Gay Agenda marching flying on. Probably not first but just first out gay flight

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/SistersofB/status/1388257276536963072?s=19

Good to see to the Gay Agenda marching flying on. Probably not first but just first out gay flight

Admiral Mike Mullen, for all his faults, was a champion for equal rights. He was unequivocal that he had served proudly with gay sailors since he first started during Vietnam.

If you were in the navy and didn’t know any gay people, well, you were a bigot and they hid from you.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That's pretty cool. I wonder if it was intentional or if they just looked at the flight schedule and realized "wait, is everyone on this flight gay?"

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Of course the navy gets a lot cooler AFTER i retire

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/04/30/top-gun-maverick-has-a-possible-oscar-theme-song-lady-gaga-took-tom-cruises-breath-away-in-2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My appreciation of the original Top Gun deepened greatly when I realized the whole thing was an extended-cut Giorgio Moroder video

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Flying out I ran into a 40 year civmar employee on the USS Hershel Woody Williams.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hershel_%22Woody%22_Williams

Had high praise. Said it was single worse ship he’s ever been on because they don’t keep the tanks full so it rides really high, Top heavy from the deck bolted on and rolled like a drunk pig. He literally retired instead of being stuck on the ship one day longer than his bare minimum.
It’s ugly as sin too but that’s not really relevant.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Injector blew fuel onto the exhaust while on MDO. Heard they attempted entry before dumping CO2. Most of the automation is gone.

Manulani also had a dg fire same day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lightpole posted:

Injector blew fuel onto the exhaust while on MDO. Heard they attempted entry before dumping CO2. Most of the automation is gone.

Manulani also had a dg fire same day.

I wasn't quite aware what was happening in the second pic until I saw the third. Then I went "well, poo poo."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I don’t think drippy buttons can ever be good.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Henry did the same thing. Fire in a steel box is going to melt any wiring/cable above it and warp the steel. Think she is under tow, probably headed back to LA/LB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is that the container ship that had to be towed in from the gulf?