Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Welp. We know what their next target is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This is the profession equivalent of teabagging and flossing over the corpse.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got word on that accident at Bangor. One the swiftpac 3 man boats decided to speed out to their patrol area and hit a buoy at top end speed due to “fog”. Coxswain is fine, another dude concussed and third guy still in hospital with broken ribs and internal injuries.

Of course the idiot is ok.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I got to see something today I never thought I'd actually see in real life. A chief mate berating an electrician over not handling something exactly the (nonsensical) way he himself would do it and then claiming that as second in command he outranks the chief engineer and can fire anyone he wants in the engine room who doesn't meet his standards.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
heartwarming to see someone not letting reality get in the way of their imagination and having fun with life

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
On the vessels I usually work on an electrician has as much or probably even more pull than a mate and I would be surprised if they came to me for backup but in such an event I would be more than happy to poo poo all over a mate for the remainder of the trip.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

On the vessels I usually work on an electrician has as much or probably even more pull than a mate and I would be surprised if they came to me for backup but in such an event I would be more than happy to poo poo all over a mate for the remainder of the trip.

Yeah I don't think this is going very well for the mate. I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to even think about a reefer box anymore.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

heartwarming to see someone not letting reality get in the way of their imagination and having fun with life

it really is a :shobon: moment, knowing that brain damage like that isn't just confined to the military, you can have a boss as poo poo as the ones in the military, without being in the military

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

slurm posted:

I got to see something today I never thought I'd actually see in real life. A chief mate berating an electrician over not handling something exactly the (nonsensical) way he himself would do it and then claiming that as second in command he outranks the chief engineer and can fire anyone he wants in the engine room who doesn't meet his standards.

For the navy folks, this is like WEPS yelling at CHENG and saying he can fire them.

Edit: well not quite cause the chief mate is also sorta kinda the XO (he takes over if the captain dies) but he’s really just a department head. And usually junior to the chief engineer.

Chief engineers can’t become captains or vice versa, this was presented as a bad thing in Hunt for Red October, for some reason.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 24, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
They are indirectly junior to the chief on par with the first but thats only if they aren't expressing opinions on equipment thats not in their jurisdiction, or threatening union members with more decades at sea than they've been alive and that aren't in their department. Even odds they will get ripped apart by the electrician and their union officials or the 1st cause they caused the electrician to write in a lot of overtime for jurisdictional issues or something and blew up the budget or everyone cause they have their head so far up their rear end they need a glass stomach to navigate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Adding another chapter in my career possibly.
A captain I've never met before contacted me directly requesting that I join his unit. He had a gaped billet and someone recommended me directly. Had a nice phone conversation and explained the unit a bit and what they support. He wouldn't tell me who gave me his name right now but I have an idea or two. That being said I was pretty convinced at "all drills done in Hawaii and you can flex a bunch together". Some really interesting AT's and such too.
I've never really heard of enlisted scum being requested like this so I'm a little flattered and worried. I hope I wasn't oversold.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Its a scam. Once you get out there, they are gonna dump you in some obscure role called CINCPAC.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

They are indirectly junior to the chief on par with the first but thats only if they aren't expressing opinions on equipment thats not in their jurisdiction, or threatening union members with more decades at sea than they've been alive and that aren't in their department. Even odds they will get ripped apart by the electrician and their union officials or the 1st cause they caused the electrician to write in a lot of overtime for jurisdictional issues or something and blew up the budget or everyone cause they have their head so far up their rear end they need a glass stomach to navigate.

All reefer stuff goes through the chief now as a 2 hour reefer maintenance call-out just to pick up the phone to relay the information to the electrician who also gets paid. So yeah the budget is screaming.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

A captain I've never met before contacted me directly requesting that I join his unit. He had a gaped billet and someone recommended me directly. Had a nice phone conversation and explained the unit a bit and what they support. He wouldn't tell me who gave me his name right now but I have an idea or two. That being said I was pretty convinced at "all drills done in Hawaii and you can flex a bunch together". Some really interesting AT's and such too.
I've never really heard of enlisted scum being requested like this so I'm a little flattered and worried. I hope I wasn't oversold.

he got wind that you were king of skaters and wants to reign you in

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

he got wind that you were king of skaters and wants to reign you in

Quite frankly that’s the most likely scenario.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Third mate sprayed seawater all over the tunnel to flush the fire mains while the qmed was welding in there with a posted permit, did it right in front of the chief engineer and over his objections, what the gently caress has gotten into these mates.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

slurm posted:

Third mate sprayed seawater all over the tunnel to flush the fire mains while the qmed was welding in there with a posted permit, did it right in front of the chief engineer and over his objections, what the gently caress has gotten into these mates.

And he hasn't been kicked off the boat yet?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Wibla posted:

And he hasn't been kicked off the boat yet?

This is actually the same third mate who let us come 20 feet off the dock without telling anyone so that's a pretty good question but I mean this is a union job so it's hard to get fired lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Third mate’s a cadet with a paycheck, you gotta watch them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Crab Dad posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bet thats not the only thing he wants gaped lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like how Crab Dad continuously gets probated for having a fun career.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It’s my duty to make sure we get the disclaimer on record, I don’t want some zoomer coming back in four years crying that all they got to do was paint and chip rust in the bilge.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

Third mate’s a cadet with a paycheck, you gotta watch them.

Further investigation reveals that this was the direct order of our excellent chief mate, that he's having the other mates both split his watches and run around like crazy to the tune of a 14+ hour workday on a normal crossing, and that they both have about the same overtime as the first and electro. 6 on, 6 off, 8 on, 4 off plus meal reliefs. Never seen anything like this.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ohhhh that mate’s getting canned. You do not gently caress with the OT.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
RIP budget

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
We had a relief mate once who managed 560 hours of OT in 35 days.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ah yes. One of the reliefs managed to beat me in OT by a large amount writing in all sorts of stuff. He was the one that had a Mac Nut container split and didn't bother doing anything about it or even telling anyone until that hold was filled and there wasn't any access. Hawaii - Guam with hold bilges full of Mac Nuts is something special. He also saw liquid coming from what turned out to be the heeling tank line and decided the best option was to taste it among other things. For some reason he did not make the cut for permanent.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lightpole posted:

Ah yes. One of the reliefs managed to beat me in OT by a large amount writing in all sorts of stuff. He was the one that had a Mac Nut container split and didn't bother doing anything about it or even telling anyone until that hold was filled and there wasn't any access. Hawaii - Guam with hold bilges full of Mac Nuts is something special. He also saw liquid coming from what turned out to be the heeling tank line and decided the best option was to taste it among other things. For some reason he did not make the cut for permanent.

Did he gently caress it?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

We had a soybean box split and then a fuel tank crack and the beans soaked it all up and we simply shoveled the whole mess into sacks leaving a clean hold

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

At this point, I'm convinced that CrabDad is having an utter nightmare career.Posting from Naval Station Lemoore, CA, wherein the stink of cowshit has driven him so far past the point of madness he just straight up invented a blessed career as a way of coping.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Festivus Miracle posted:

At this point, I'm convinced that CrabDad is having an utter nightmare career.Posting from Naval Station Lemoore, CA, wherein the stink of cowshit has driven him so far past the point of madness he just straight up invented a blessed career as a way of coping.

No joke I knew a sailor who grew up just east of lemoore who joined the navy to see the world and was hoping to get on a carrier.

She got Lemoore as her first post.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

slurm posted:

We had a soybean box split and then a fuel tank crack and the beans soaked it all up and we simply shoveled the whole mess into sacks leaving a clean hold

As someone who grew up with that Hornblower story about the leaky prize ship with rice in the hold, this makes me uncomfortable.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

POV, Crab Dad's posting space

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Madurai posted:

As someone who grew up with that Hornblower story about the leaky prize ship with rice in the hold, this makes me uncomfortable.

Heh nowadays it just ruins the grain and creates paperwork.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Madurai posted:

Maritime safety notices I've been able to count on over the last three years:

The weekly mate death falling off the ship onto the dock when trying to check the drafts since they can't do it from the dock.

Someone walking into an improperly vented grain hold.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hey sometimes it’s coal!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

No joke I knew a sailor who grew up just east of lemoore who joined the navy to see the world and was hoping to get on a carrier.

She got Lemoore as her first post.

The Yamato didn't get owned this hard.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

A Festivus Miracle posted:

can confirm that he's not, it's real

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

POV, Crab Dad's posting space

More room than a coffin rack.

Smells less too im sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I asked once why the berthings were always kept so loving cold and the chief responded "to keep down the smell of fan. feet, rear end, and nuts."