Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Elendil004 posted:

Lol whats 4D Photogrammetry?

I dunno, what's a 4D photogrammetry with you?

e: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Lol got 'em

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Former Vice Chief of Naval Operations Robert Burke Arrested by Feds on Bribery Charges

https://news.usni.org/2024/05/31/former-vice-chief-of-naval-operations-robert-burke-arrested-by-feds-on-bribery-charges

quote:

A retired Vice Chief of Naval Operations was arrested Friday on charges of bribery stemming from an alleged government contract scheme between 2020 and 2022.

Robert Burke, a retired four-star admiral, allegedly worked with two chief executive officers to arrange a contract with their company to provide training for the Navy in exchange for a position with the company.

Burke is charged with bribery, conspiracy to commit bribery, performing acts to affect a personal financial interest and concealing material facts. He faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted, according to the Department of Justice. Burke denies the charges, his lawyer Timothy Parlatore told USNI News on Friday.

Is there any flag officer that didn't commit crimes?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

34 to Naught Burke

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Is that the 2nd biggest fall from grace ever right after Trump?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Is that the 2nd biggest fall from grace ever right after Trump?

That depends. Do you include Eric McCormack's career after the end of Will and Grace?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Former Vice Chief of Naval Operations Robert Burke Arrested by Feds on Bribery Charges

https://news.usni.org/2024/05/31/former-vice-chief-of-naval-operations-robert-burke-arrested-by-feds-on-bribery-charges

loving officers.

I was gonna post this but you beat me, I like this picture/headline from the Hill.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hot dog, it's a good week for disgraced sailors I guess

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-sailor-sentenced-18-years-prison-espionage-charges-rcna154739

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Give Crab Dad another 10 years. He'll either make it or gently caress off to his Crab Yacht.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Have y'all heard of SWO jackets?

SWOs now have a jacket they get just like aviators. Instead of doing big pinning ceremonies, they do jacket ceremonies.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

SWOs now have a jacket they get just like aviators. Instead of doing big pinning ceremonies, they do jacket ceremonies.

Guess they needed something other than black sweaters and bridge coats since those are deeply uncool due to their association with SWOs

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerekk posted:

Guess they needed something other than black sweaters and bridge coats since those are deeply uncool due to their association with SWOs

I love my SWOter.

Also I have the SWO jacket because hey, free leather jacket. No ceremony because I was a reservist and we don't do that poo poo.

In any case, I cut the velcro patch off both of those and they're perfectly fine pieces of clothing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My bridge coat is my most favorite piece of clothing ever.
Also possibly the dumbest thing Iíve ever bought after finishing a set of orders.
Had all the gold button and lapels removed and it perfect!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
A friend of mine on my first ship have me his Antarctica parka when he was discharged because he was moving to Florida. I lost it in a move somewhere and I miss it greatly here in Upstate Hell

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I miss my issued pea-coat, it was oversized, even for my already large frame, drat thing must've been 15lbs of wool, I think it was a 50XXL. Warm as hell and fit nicely over a suit.

Someone knicked it in the 5 seconds my back was turned in Grand Central.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Stolen wooler?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The jackets have been around for a few years now. I was part of the test fittings they did in Newport. You order them from supply if you're on a ship.

They're not bad (I still don't have one) but the pockets are a little awkward. Lots of folks swear by them in combat to keep the chill off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Valley Stared posted:

The jackets have been around for a few years now. I was part of the test fittings they did in Newport. You order them from supply if you're on a ship.

They're not bad (I still don't have one) but the pockets are a little awkward. Lots of folks swear by them in combat to keep the chill off.

Yeah, the pockets are the biggest complaint. It has flap top pockets but no side slash pockets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I actually met the person who designed them. She's a friend of a friend near where I live in FL. She was so excited when I told her that people I spoke with actually liked them.

Also, big :lol: that they're "organizational clothing" like foul weather gear just so that SWOs don't have to pay for their own jacket out of pocket.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the jacket should not have any pockets at all

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Ded, we're allowed to put our hands in our pockets now.

It's revolutionary.

And for someone like me whose hands get cold easy, very helpful.

And Mr. Nice! That's pretty cool that you got to meet the designer. Overall they've been well received by the fleet.

Also, why not make it organizational clothing? Is it because it's an Officer thing and therefore bad?

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 3, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Organizational clothing is supposed to stay with the command not be given to a person forever. I think a better tactic would be a special uniform allowance, but thatís probably a bigger pain to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

:stare:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I had to purchase a couple different complete sets of uniforms do to all the enlisted uniform shifts from 2008-2012. Must be nice having big navy foot the bill for everything. Very nice indeed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I was just at a change of command ceremony and a two star was talking with a CMC and both had their hands in their pockets while wearing the super fancy dress whites.
Glorious.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
There's a lot going on in the Air Defense Artillery HM's Navy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75r2bOB95h8

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Back in my day most of us only had 6 or 10 kinds of uniform and that's how we liked it

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
All of the retired chiefs I work with are screaming about the hands in pocket thing, very funny

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My understanding of it was that you weren't barred from putting your hands in your pockets, you just couldn't do it while you were out walking around. Carry your bag in your left hand and no hands in pockets while transiting on foot. Standing around drinking coffee with the chief? One hand on the mug, one hand in your pocket jiggling your balls

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Uh no.

You could never put hands in your pockets, at least according to my leadership.

Freezing your rear end off during line handlers? You fuckin bad shipmate!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Organizational clothing is supposed to stay with the command not be given to a person forever. I think a better tactic would be a special uniform allowance, but thatís probably a bigger pain to do.

Uniforms should just be provided gratis to troops. I won't be taking any questions.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I have started seeing people in the 2POC and the khaki ones look loving terrible

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

I have started seeing people in the 2POC and the khaki ones look loving terrible

The further away seamen Timmy can spot an officer or chief the better. Itís fine.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

I miss my issued pea-coat, it was oversized, even for my already large frame, drat thing must've been 15lbs of wool, I think it was a 50XXL. Warm as hell and fit nicely over a suit.

Someone knicked it in the 5 seconds my back was turned in Grand Central.

Years before I joined the Navy, I picked up a pea coat from a used clothing exchange in Portland, and by God, its my favorite cold-weather piece of clothing ever. It was comfy as hell and looked snazzy.

At least for our brown aviator jackets they also have weird pocket placement. I know a lot of aircrew (O and E) will take them to get a lower set of pockets tailored in and lined with rabbit fur to make them more comfortable.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The utility jacket was my favorite piece of uniform issue. Literally the bluejacket.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

It's revolutionary.

And for someone like me whose hands get cold easy, very helpful.

PneumonicBook posted:

All of the retired chiefs I work with are screaming about the hands in pocket thing, very funny

:lol: :lmao:

now allow beards without a noshave chit and things are going places

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ded posted:

but but but but SCBAs

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

They're going the wrong way with this one, can't even grow a loving deployment beard anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A.o.D. posted:

Uniforms should just be provided gratis to troops. I won't be taking any questions.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Remember to not install unauthorized Wi-Fi on the ship then cover it up!