Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

guys why does my phone ask me if i want to connect to a new wifi network while we are 300 miles out to sea?????

jfc what a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is what happens when millennials start getting in the upper chain of command. :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just run Cat5 everywhere like we used to, you have all the free manpower you could want to do so.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Anita Dickinme posted:

This is what happens when millennials start getting in the upper chain of command. :lol:

Bro the oldest Gen Z are almost 30. Millennials have been commanding ships for a decade+.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Seeing folks I went to college with put on CDR / LtCol has been a weird feeling. Conversely, seeing folks I went to the schoolhouse put on Senior Chief or Master Chief has been good

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cerekk posted:

Bro the oldest Gen Z are almost 30. Millennials have been commanding ships for a decade+.

Iím a millennial and Iíve got three months until Iím thirty. :confused:

Nick Soapdish posted:

Seeing folks I went to college with put on CDR / LtCol has been a weird feeling. Conversely, seeing folks I went to the schoolhouse put on Senior Chief or Master Chief has been good

Yeah someone Iím friends with on Facebook and went to boot camp with putting on chief last cycle had me reeling for a moment like it really has been ten years so I guess itís normal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Iím seeming people my age retire a navy captains.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerekk posted:

I'm a geriatric millennial and my peers are only in the last 2-3 years being screened for command.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gen-Z starts in 1996. Theyíre 28 at the oldest. Millennials are between 28-44.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Organizational clothing is supposed to stay with the command not be given to a person forever. I think a better tactic would be a special uniform allowance, but thatís probably a bigger pain to do.

I totally nicked my foul weather coat from the E though when it was decommissioning.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Just run Cat5 everywhere like we used to, you have all the free manpower you could want to do so.

Apparently after I left, there may have been a 1100 ft Cat5 from Fwd to Aft in the yards when no one was looking. I will neither confirm nor deny smaller runs so that certain officers and enlisted could play CoD lan games.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Apparently after I left, there may have been a 1100 ft Cat5 from Fwd to Aft in the yards when no one was looking. I will neither confirm nor deny smaller runs so that certain officers and enlisted could play CoD lan games.

How the gently caress did that still send a signal?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

TCP is pretty resilient.

After negotiating itself down to isdn speeds I bet

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Laranzu posted:

TCP is pretty resilient.

After negotiating itself down to isdn speeds I bet

Ethernet can still run at like 10BASE-T half duplex with a ton of dropped frames if the physical media is poo poo!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Crab Dad posted:

Specs are guarantees. Limits are goals.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
POE repeaters are a thing, too, if you have the wherewithal and equipment to swing it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I did run some multimode fiber from forward up by radio to the midship where the CSOOW sat so the ETs could play halo matches against each other

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

At least fibre is better for EMCON... :v:

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gen-Z starts in 1996. Theyíre 28 at the oldest. Millennials are between 28-44.

Huh. Guess Iím Gen-X.

gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

War Boi posted:

Huh. Guess Iím Gen-X.

gently caress.

Meh. Itís not so bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Ive come to find the neglect comforting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Ive come to find the neglect comforting.

Just like how gen x had to raise themselves the neglect never stopped

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
:gary:Gen-X are the real boomers and that's no cap.:gary:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cerekk posted:

People in this very forum have had command of ships.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Wibla posted:

At least fibre is better for EMCON... :v:

If anyone can pick up EMI from 1000BASE-T outside the hull they have some magic technology.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Army looking to get rid of the prepositioned ships, APS-3 vessels. Thats the 5 pre-po Watson class and 2 ammo ships, John Page and Edward Carter. They want to toss everything ashore and put the vessels on 120 hour breakout.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seems stupid with Taiwan around the cornerÖ

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

M_Gargantua posted:

I think you missed the fact that it was an LCS crew. >_>

M_Gargantua posted:

If anyone can pick up EMI from 1000BASE-T outside the hull they have some magic technology.

This reminds me of the time(s) we used unsecured access points (e.g.; a laptop on the weather decks) to pass files with foreign partners real time during multinational exercises while in (very close) formation because they didn't have any at-sea connectivity. :v:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Crab Dad posted:

Seems stupid with Taiwan around the corner…

Go from a 4 day response in the Indo-Pacific to 4+ weeks, with the assumption you can get the crew to fill the billets.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Go from a 4 day response in the Indo-Pacific to 4+ weeks, with the assumption you can get the crew to fill the billets.

lol whoever proposed and then signed off on this should have their bank accounts inspected.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
All sorts of issues with it. Dumping anything on MARAD who is chronically underfunded and a poor steward of the merchant marine is a recipe for disaster. It fucks up timelines and funds, and losing jobs means losing more mariners. Of course, those jobs were always hard to fill because they paid poorly but thats another argument.

My 4 weeks is a rosy assessment compared to others that are putting it at more like 6-8.

I went on mission after the Henry fire when I was on the Hudson. We got out on time and up to AK to pick up guard vehicles, then it was down to Mississippi for training. All that still took a month with everything going perfectly and everyone up for two weeks straight because we couldn't get any support until the very minute the vessel left MARAD and went under Navy budget.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

This reminds me of the time(s) we used unsecured access points (e.g.; a laptop on the weather decks) to pass files with foreign partners real time during multinational exercises while in (very close) formation because they didn't have any at-sea connectivity. :v:

That is some Mad Max Fury Road level of baller.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SquirrelyPSU posted:

That is some Mad Max Fury Road level of baller.

Instead of Iota rocking out itís an IT3 shibariíd in network cable with a laptop in front of the salvaged top of a cell tower.

No speakers. Just every sort of sector antenna and phased array that can be jerryrigged

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

:laffo:

If it's stupid but it works, it's still stupid but it works!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Using this underway wifi right now wondering why it's actually good but I can barely load Navy websites on Navy laptops.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Because it's a Toughbook from 1999 probably

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Also because Navy websites were, I swear, designed by malicious programmers to be as lovely and non-functional as possible.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Also because Navy websites were, I swear, designed by malicious programmers to be as lovely and non-functional as possible.

Website best used with Internet Explorer or Mozilla

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Website best used with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Netscape

There we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"This website is blocked due to invalid security certificates"

-Navy website on a Navy unclass computer