Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Anybody here have any experience with Cat 3/4 EFMP? Everything is mental health related and I'm trying to figure out my options. I'm already remote duty and may have to leave early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

PM sent.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Haven't done a coast to coast pcs somehow in my entire career. Waiting on orders. How long can I expect the hhg shipment to take? The only numbers I can find are for oconus moves.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Did funding for posting dry up or do all you reservists post here only after you get paid?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Well that blows. We've got a pile of people who aren't getting paid for a det that happened right over the budget bill nonsense. I know our people love working for IOUs.

The active duty side managed to underpay me for two years and I only caught it when I saw a negative number show up on an les and I stopped getting paid completely.

They decided to claw back $30k in OHA and cola because one idiot changed my country code when she caught a 'mistake'. She didn't realize that postal abbreviations​ and the pay codes don't always match up. In the end I went over everything with a fine tooth comb and found out all those Page 2 updates I sent when I got married and spawned had been piling up on some admin desk.

The Navy ended up paying me $27k in back OHA and cola, instead of literally paying me $0.00 for months on end for that imaginary $30k overpayment.

Fun fact though: when you get a random rural area of China on your les, DIA calls all sorts of people to ask why you were there.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I'm on the third week of a field exercise with my seabee battalion. This is the kind of stupidity you can't make up

Now my imagination is making poo poo up. Thanks. Share so I can see how far off I am.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Enjoy the port calls. See some sites. Take some pictures. Bring your​ kids some cool trinkets.
Keep remembering it's the last one then you get to choose what you do next.

Doing a shooter tour or something?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Alright I finally have to wear the type I nwu after years of avoiding it.

Any suggestions on boots because I have no desire to give up $130 for a Bates product.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

$180 for two years of wear? I might look at the redwings at least they are lifetime guarantee?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Second NWU question (yes I've worn a flight suit for the last 14 years): is there something better than those terrible Soffee shirts?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

We suck at uniforms. I'd like to think a bunch of retired admirals are making beaucoup bucks off all of the changes we constantly make, but it's probably just incompetence.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

There won't be NJP because he's brokebrained and hiding was his way of tapping out.

On deployment we had a sadbrains who tried to get out of the deployment but failed. While we were transiting the indian ocean or in the gulf (can't remember exactly) early one morning, a PO2 didn't show up for his watch at 2am. Someone went to his rack to look for him with no dice. They then searched all of his workspaces with once again, nothing to show. After about 30 minutes of looking, this was all reported to the OOD, then the CO, and man overboard was called. The entire ship was woke up and had to muster, and then we sent search parties throughout the skin of the ship and topside. We turned about and started tracing our steps hoping to find him. Finally one of the topside search teams found him asleep next to the rear CIWS mount. We had a suicide watch for him for the rest of his time onboard before he could get heloed off. There was no NJP. Instead he got medboarded out.

Had a similar story on the Big E. Sailor hid in a head for two days. Days of surface search and no poo poo PSAs 24/7 trying to get said sailor or an acquaintance to come forward with the truth.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Anybody know if you can claim TLE while staying with family?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

That's a good gameplan. Basically mine from last year and working so far.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Not in aviation at the moment. They shuffle you from painful URL job to URL job (all no flying) until you tap out. I'm coasting on prior time to hit twenty before my first O-5 look (assuming everybody doesn't bail to the airlines and bump me up early as gently caress).

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I am currently experiencing what is easily the worst port call I've had in my almost 20 years. If you're ever told you are going to India, just go ahead and lower your expectations, especially if you are on a carrier (and thus have to anchor out).

Get back to us next week when everyone on the ship has the runs because the ship is pulling water out of that harbor and nothing can kill what's in Indian water.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

My first deployment was on the JFK. I've also cruised on GW and Stennis. Never the Enterprise though. JFK was pretty fuggin' old and not a nuke.

I was on the second to last Enterprise cruise. I 'missed' the last one. At least they got a poo poo ton of port calls. We had as many beer days as port calls the time before.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah the best part of that Chennai visit that nobody told you was that the aircrew secretly got a stash of super anti diarrhea meds and Cipro to safely fly. So not everybody was making GBS threads themselves. (No kidding it happened in late night meetings in the wardroom.)

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

All this SWO bonus talk just made something apparent to me: for all the poo poo talking about swo-life, it might suck more to be an aviator now.

I don't know poo poo about the non VFA world, but the strike aviation Navy is paying people an extra $150k+ to be fighter pilots and people are still saying nope. We haven't had enough DHs two years running now.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

https://pilotonline.com/news/milita...c4702e.amp.html

Impressive initiative. Real self starter.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

In your example at least cag and the csg know their deficiencies (nobody's sugarcoating those debriefs) and how to train to their weaknesses, tactically schedule aircrew, etc.

The culture in aviation tends towards brutally honest self-assessment and there are no shortage of reps for aircrew going on deployment. Even fdnf aircrew are getting lots of looks at the full range of missions.

I get the impression that the surface force (especially fdnf) is not getting the same opportunities.

It also helps that the hardest mission sets that aircrew perform are basically the ones they're performing on deployment. Our biggest problem is how dangerous it is to go from nothing to full throttle training in a month's time.

I would be far more concerned about how the ship handles the high stress evolutions than anything I would be doing in the air. In fact I was always happiest when I wasn't on the boat. At least I was responsible for myself, could shoot back or even divert (most of the time). Nothing worse than sitting inside the ship during straits transit...

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Godholio posted:

I don't know where you fit into this one, but it was pretty rough compared to most of the others I've seen. But one of wing's O-6s loving gets it. He stood up at the end of a mass debrief and laid it out there...it was not a "hey we're getting through this" or a "you'll do better next time" or even a "hey, it's Fallon amirite?" speech. It was a candid and accurate assessment of where they were as professional combat aviators and how their performance was likely to serve them if the poo poo hits the fan. I wanted to loving applaud when he was done.

Other than knowing that you live in the same poo poo hole I just left I don't know where you fit in either. Until recently I was part of the group delivering the asskicking you were describing.

Airwings have been having those moments for a couple of years now.

I'd like to believe that there's a whole lot of "back in my day" nostalgia going but there is a whole team of outside people contracted to give the Navy feedback on how the fleet is performing and I've seen the raw numbers across the whole work up cycle. It's not pretty and everyone knows it.

I think you might be conflating our standard wings of gold bravado with an actual belief that we're good at anything but landing on a boat. Sequestration hosed the fleet and the secaf and the cno aren't lying or engaging in hyperbole when they talk about another round breaking the force.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've seen a console suddenly show a contact changing course by over 180 degrees for a few seconds before returning to something like the original calculated course.

Aircraft radars do this too.

You practice, over and over, learning what normal looks like and when you need to reject bad info. You also eventually develop a sense of when you need to do something else because your information is suspect. Like look outside.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Davethulhu posted:

Sky dick pilot was not a lady, but you could have been thrown off by his call sign: "Tess". Cmdr Stickles is all man.

That's the squadron CO, not the pilot.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I heard that one too but was told that it's not true. Sounded like wishful thinking.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Laranzu posted:

All early out programs just got cancelled. Hope you like fighting in Korean war 1.5

No it's because we're in a growing Navy. Nothing to do with terrible retention. Nothing at all.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure this is the same across the board for Marines and Navy. It's the first 0-6 in their chain of command that has court martial authority.

Most O6s are amateur politicians. Just like our current Congress.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm pretty sure we used to have some naval aviators but i can't recall.

One left at least.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm too tipsy to really want to put in the effort of writing an effort post about the whole mess but what I will say is that the Navy in general, and surface community specifically, are reaping what was sown decades ago when operational command and man, train and equip decisions were separated.

Couple drinks in too. Concur.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Every single red cent is on my GTC and they can suck my balls before I pay out of pocket for it ever again.

I'd have to check again but I think it doesn't show up on your credit report until 4-6 months without payment.

The problem is that you can be adsep'd and possibly lose your clearance eligibility for failure to pay a just debt before that ever happens.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Ok and

me: marines are bad at hygiene
other people: no they aren't
San Diego Tribune: hundreds with an 'S' recruits sick, told 'hey you need to wash your drat hands more'

Teenagers are loving gross.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

But there’s also bonuses, right?

VFA command is even weirder because despite being a CDR and getting a bonus you're making less than your LCDR department heads with their bonuses.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Well I got my nifty blue ID card today. I'm officially a retiree. Little more sad about that than I thought I would be.

You give me hope that I can grind it out for two more years. Enjoy standing around in the aisles at the commissary.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

In case anyone wants a reminder of why you never go full nuke. Bolded the lesson.

https://www.reddit.com/r/navy/comments/8qdc4k/dont_want_to_be_nuke

a redditor posted:

Im a month into power school.

The first time I took the ASVAB I got a 67. I was perfectly fine with that. I eventually took it again, and somehow got an 85 and autoqualled to be a nuke. I never wanted to be a nuke, but I gave into peer pressure by literally every single recruiter in the office.

I didn't join for the money, or the great benefits I'll get out of the Navy. I joined just to get away. I can care less about money. I was motivated to get through A-school, and I passed with a 2.90. Got on T-track for 2 months, and I absolutely loved standing watches. They were all easy, but I stood them well, and I felt like I was actually doing something.

Now that I started power school, all my motivation is gone. I'd love to be in the fleet doing actual work already, like I initially imagined. People talk about re-rating and man, does it sound exciting. I look forward to that poo poo. The people here are nothing what I am. My outer shell gets along with people, but when I actually try to get to know people, I just never click. Our motives in life are too different. Its hard to explain.

I now drink fairly normally, smoke on the weekends, which I've never done, and I love just hanging out alone. I've got good buds, but nothing beats time alone. I think all the time about how I don't want to be here. My attitude on things has also changed significantly, and I've definitely changed as a person in this year I've been in the Navy.

The thing is, I don't want to be a nuke. I'll do literally any other job with pride. I just can't stand the school environment. I don't know where I'm getting with this, but any words of wisdom will help. Thanks.

And yes, I've been called a little bitch for thinking like this, and that's fair. But I just don't like it here.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I'm finally figuring it out now that I've served at a NOSC.

The reason why NOSCs are so hit or miss is because the regional commands that direct the NOSCs are mostly staffed by people who've never worked at a NOSC and they're directed by RESFOR which is mostly clueless about how their policies ripple out into waves that ruin your average reservist's drill weekend and create impossible to enforce rules at the NOSC which creates insurmountable training obstacles for the region which turns around and asks RESFOR to change things which sets the whole ridiculous cycle off.

But why don't they just mirror the active component policies and tweak them to make them work for the reserves? Because that would be admitting that the reserves aren't a special force that is absolutely essential to the defense of the nation!

To drive home how stupid the construct of the RESFOR RCC NOSC reserves really is pay attention to the next TNR magazine you get. There's more than 1 FTS for every 5 selres. That's a seriously high ratio of fts to selres. Shockingly few of those people though are engaged in actual reserve management. The rest are basically filling active billets. Cancel the reserves, replace the whole thing with ten-fifteen thousand active billets and stop trying to make intel nerds, doctors, and lawyers play officer because they loving suck at it.

Tldr: the entirety of the reserve force exists to keep Djibouti and gitmo from having too many real billets to fill.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I was a JO with that guy's CO. I'm so old.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

orange juche posted:

Let me tell you some of the most boring as gently caress guard duty is standing guard in the secondary exit of the ship's brig for 4 loving hours with a Mossberg just staring at a locked gate and the shower/poo poo area of the brig because there's 10 or so pirates in your brig.

Nevermind that there was like 0 ventilation in the ship's brig and the pirates smelled like loving poo poo, like the smell was in their loving skin because they hadn't showered for months.

I spent so much time in that brig entrance that I can still remember how the area looked 10 years later.

Were you doing this on the Big E because I spent some time with the guys who took our pirates away and I still don't know who smelled worse.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Oh so that's probably where I was exposed.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Ah I was thinking of the other pirates we had on board. The ones that took the Emirate's tanker. Those guys were also smelly but the UAE guys who came on board to get them smelled even worse. They managed to stink out the smoke pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

So, what are the consequences of just.. not doing an AT this year, beyond my unit leadership being butthurt? I plan on getting out of selres March of '20 and couldn't give two shits about sat years for retirement purposes.

Nothing.

Same to you Pneumonic, if you just stop showing up the worst thing that happens is that you get adsep'd.
It's a volunteer force after all. If you don't want to get tagged for mob you should probably just stop showing up. Even if you get tagged you can ask for a special cases board for a deferral, which will be denied, and you'll be out anyway.