Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Calus posted:

Edit: Just read the thread. What the gently caress happened after I left? You fucks were supposed to be fixing it not... Whatever the gently caress is going on

Next guy's problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Got to crank! This reserve unit is fun! Much better than sitting in scif!

Had four reservists show up to observe an ET2 Full Time Support perform maintenance on an UPS this week. Gave them the full training experience by freaking out because I thought they were going to cut power for the check but then it turns out they weren't and then watched them sit cross-legged as ET2 made them read the MRC aloud and she pressed a button that showed how much battery was left.

Wish they stuck around to learn how to sweep rain, but there's always next month.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, some of my guys found out I play Magic and got all excited so now guys come up to me from time to time to talk about decks and card evaluations and stuff. One actually approached me about setting up a draft tournament for the crew because we have a lot of people who play, or are interested, for such a small ship. I gave him the thumbs up and also the go ahead to approach the MWR committee to to see if they'll pitch in some money.

Meanwhile, I actually got WOTC to donate a whole bunch of packs to the ship so it will end up being pretty much free for everyone, but don't say anything because I'm trying to surprise them. :ssh:

I completely wasted my first tour :eng99:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Commoners posted:

I actually get paid if I have to stay over the planned hours to finish stuff out.

What a novel concept.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Never ever horse girls. Should be first on any checklist.

Centaurs generally don't pass the road trip test.

Avoid sphinges, medusae, minotaurs and especially manticores at all costs.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I realized recently that we're only ever taught about situations that go bad, never the close ones where somebody saves it and it's really heartening to see your example.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Also since we're talking orders chat I just got a verbal to head to Fort Meade. Time for me to be officially stationed at Navy Nerd HQ.

PERS is working with the NSA for Navy assignments; they know your search history.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What should I do in Pattaya for the full Navy experience?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The Valley Stared posted:

I don't know what fantasy world he lives in, but he doesn't live in the same world we do. We didn't train. We literally learned our jobs by doing all of that poo poo. Because we didn't have time for anything else with all the real world poo poo going on.

I'm bitter. The next time an Admiral comes on board and wants to make pretty speeches and doesn't have any answers, I'm going to lose it.

The machine is built so that he lives in a fantasy world. If he could understand what was going on it would break him and he would be useless as an Admiral, unless he was strong enough to bury it or a purely sociopath. Military officers lose a bit of humanity every year and by the time you're an Admiral your empathy has been deadened to that of a pop idol and you have more skeletons in your closet than a favor mongering organized crime small town mayor.

He gave more than his life for his country; he gave his soul. He's the man that was used up.

Keep your cool. Make it better. For the love of God if you're competent take a staff billet and treat it like every mistake you or your men make is multiplied by the number of ships there are, because it is.

Enjoy the blood money.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Then you would have hated being a department head.

That said, I actually really enjoyed standing TAO. It was one of the very few things about the job I enjoyed.

Doesn't surprise me. I've been told I need to work on EOOW before TAO. I don't think they understand my priorities.

Edit:
But Re: any career advice; I'm a DH-selected O-2. It's a full six years before anybody looks at whether I'm one of the elite 80 percent that makes LCDR and about five years until I'm looked at for Early Command. I need to remember to tell people to gently caress off with advice that might improve my FITREP and stick to my guns of doing what is right, doing what I want, and doing it well.

piL fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 13, 2017

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

While I agree with most of the sentiment in your post, if you are even remotely interested in Early Command then you 100% need to get your EOOW now while you're a DIVO before you spend time qualing TAO.

You're right, but I don't have any designs on Command at all. I guess it's worth it to keep my options open, but based on my experience this second tour, if I stay in that length of time, something has either drastically changed about me or about the Navy (or there was a war). Or they gave me an amazing shore tour that required a signature and probably pushed my DH school start out a year.

I left my first tour feeling empowered and capable of making real change and that I had the tools available to do good things, but LCS has convinced me that none of that is true, and that the whole structure is structured to generate apathy, neuter initiative, and twist the ethics of its participants.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Yep, this checks out. It's good to see the LCS program hasn't changed.

That all said, your initial point about keeping your options open is true. You may hate everything second of it, but your options are exponentially better if you have it before you finish your DIVO tours. Unless you are like 110% convinced you are getting out you should be spending your time on it just in case. You'd be surprised how quickly plans change during your shore tour.

Yeah, I know. And I am, if only to keep my guys motivated and be better at training ensigns. But I'm still going to be pissed that I have to do this other watch instead of the one that interfaces with all of my gear.

Also, just stumbled my old DLCPO so now I'm all warm and gushy about the Navy. I'm fickle, which is all the more reason to future proof myself.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

I almost never revealed anything about my real personality at work. Never give another SWO anything personal that can be used against you.
The alienation is a huge soulsuck.

12 officers in my wardroom, but if you cut us up into pieces and reassembled us, you'd be lucky to make five humans. That might be a military thing, but expectations and politics exacerbate it. And then five of those guys are DH, XO or CO, and one is me, leaving six people you're supposed to consort with. Half of which went to the same college and 80 percent never had a different job and have hobbies like 'running ' or 'thinking about when I played football'. And since they work twelve hour days then study for pins, constantly hide themselves and their opinions, and half of them are married and so spend their limited freetime trying to maintain a (usually) failing relationship, the most intellectual conversation you can get out of one another that you didn't exhaust in your first month of knowing each other is what the best part of the half of a movie you watched is. And the guys they work for are as emotionally/socially/intellectually stunted with bosses even more so such that most oakleaves can't even comprehend that something is wrong, or that you're uncomfortable lying for a living (after all, they've done it longer without giving up).

DHs have that problem but only two other people they get to talk to, except when the XO orders them to be a liberty buddy.

And so the enlisted generally interact with the half-human officer larvae early enough in their metamorphosis and with enough of each other that they're still able to differentiate between Friend and Food. At least when the chiefs stay in their treeforts and let the LPOs handle their poo poo.

These numbers are larger on other platforms, but the process is similar. Exceptions exist, and I've been particularly blessed in my experiences thus far (probably partly self delusion). Nonetheless, you can see the scars in others and observe damage even in the good conditions.

So that, combined with statistically more likely to have spent four years around real people prior to beginning he process, is one sort of big difference that explains the O-bitching.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Any advice for Guam night stuff that isn't a strip club?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

I hear the Kmart is poppin

If MML doesn't know, I'm boned.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Ha, I've never actually had the pleasure. My brother was stationed there and his summary was scuba, strip clubs, and Kmart.

He's not wrong. Found a pretty good restaurant, and sitting between two japanese couples at the bar feels rather nostalgic. There's a live music bar I'm going to try and walk to without stopping at a strip club on the way. Hafa adai.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Null Integer posted:

Guam is good for 3-5 days of drunken haze, then you realize you are there for 3 loving years.

Just a port visit, thank God.

Single sailor. Working the service industry crowd seems like a good idea if I ever got stuck here for longer--thats paid dividends in Singapore.

In SG, there are bars with amazing standards and a world class cocktail scene (and not mostly just showmanship like Tokyo), so anyone pulling in there should find a hip spot and ask the bartender where to go next. You're gonna blow strip club like money, but you probably were anyway.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Tokyo Wan is busier then you give it credit for. The point stands though. Mandating moboards would not have prevented the Fitz collision because they already weren't following proper procedures. Required moboards would just be another thing added to the pile that they weren't doing properly.

You're right about it being distracting, and you've already admitted to their use in training, but I do feel like there is a general sense of 'those are old and useless ' in the navy now, and I disagree.

If everybody has to do them long enough and you keep watch teams together, then you can make sure that at least one member per watch team understands relative motion (probably the most junior guy because people will call their hazing training). Based on the training you receive before your ship and the quality of some OOD qualified personnel I've met, it is very easy to put together a watch team who has a weak spatial apperception. The way I've most effectively trained it thus far is to demand a conjecture of target angle or expected CPA from a visual, have the person perform a moboard to substantiate their prediction, and then make observations to validate or alter the prediction. That's more about building this mental model that refreshed your mind about your preconceptions earlier and then alters the decision making process for future predictions.

The advantage of required moboard solutions is that it gives the CO/XO/SWO/etc the ability to spot heck that standing orders are being followed, other than by hiding on a dark bridge for hours at a time. But it's also a huge distraction especially if the requirement is anything more than relative motion vectors.

Moboard soapbox continued because this is how - spend my liberty: Also, basically every senior officer (except for one) who has caught me doing it disapproves of estimating time with dividers instead of measuring relative motion and using the nomograph. But using the spatial relationship to estimate is far more accurate than transposing a length to a scale (estimating the position on that scale), transposing that result to a logarithmic scale, applying a transformation based on another estimation (unless it was exactly three minutes), and then adding a third chance to fuzzy up that number when you read the product off the nomograph. But that's what the OS rating manual says, so forget measurement resolution.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I have this civilian contractor who is probably the only reason anything works onboard my ship and does the work of 12 men (24 sailors or 36 contractors) and does so consistently. Has anybody ever gotten an award through for a civilian and knows anything about the process vice a normal award?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I'm going to talk about something important. Put that coffee down. Coffee is for qualified only. You think I'm loving with you? I am not loving with you. I'm here from San Dog. I'm here for Rowden. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name is Levene? You call yourself a SWO you son of a bitch? You certainly don't pal cause the good news is you're fired.

As you all know, first prize is a Ford Mustang. Second prize is a SWO pin. Third prize is you're fired. You get the picture? You laughing now?

Bunch of losers sitting in a bar. "Oh yeah, I used to be a SWO. It's a tough racket." (drinks fake drink)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If the navy can't figure out how to deliver to me PQSs (i.e. have a functional website from which one can download them) I shouldn't have to do them.

Edit: also southeast Asia runs on graft

piL fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 30, 2017

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sometimes when I think of what I want to do when I get out, I think of buying a boat and trying to work at cut rate prices driving scientists around. Never thought about the uniformed service branch devoted to the task. I'd love to hear your thoughts on NOAA in general.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Navy thread got Navy as gently caress! Chain lockers and ship driving!

High speed OOD is the best Navy school I went to, and the only school where I felt pressure. Part of what is needed is that, but the other part that's hard to train to is training people to be bored. We obsess about casualty control, but you need to be checked periodically during slow watches with little happening to test your resolve, to ensure that you're going to do what's necessary.

You could accomplish this in a simulation, but it's hard to justify 6 hour open ocean simulations where nothing happens. That really needs to happen in vitro.

I was under the assumption that MML's predecessor might not be able to sleep and may come up any time, and I was consistently ready to explain my position, justify my actions and any violation of standing orders I was committing (sorry I didn't call when CPA on the DIW fishing vessel dipped within reporting criteria and that I didn't wake you up because barometric pressure increased--I'm fine with this situation and I need you to sleep or tomorrow will be a shitshow--mast me). That's because he would come up and check how things were going. And he did so in a way that didn't feel like I was on the spot or about to get blasted, like it was a test or that he was worried. He just seemed interested. He was probably making GBS threads bricks at my incompetent ship driving but his behaviour didn't make it feel that way.

Simulators can't teach that I think.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Dividers and a ruler https://www.mathopenref.com/constparallel.html

Edit: right click -> position EBL

piL fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2017

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I wish to have no connection to a ship that does not make port visits often, for I do not intend to wake up sober.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PneumonicBook posted:

My favorite part of that was when I was sitting air ui and dude couldn't remember the actual secret callsigns for the day so told me to just put out "friend" over the loving net. Because that's fine to do.
Hello friend de A5S k

Irt fat navy, this might just be a case of senior leadership listening to commanding officers who have said repeatedly that you're making me fire good techs and because of minimal manning you gave me four guys: two of which are fat and two of which are capable of basic math (spoiler: they're the same two guys).

It seems inevitable to me that some COs have been in the position that if CFL doesn't pretend this PRT failure didn't happen, the ship will fail to sail the moment its radar irreparably breaks and because of PERS, they wont have a replacement for four years. But you can't fire ET3 Illiterate because there isn't a semi-annual reading comprehension exam.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think the attraction to five and dimes rests in the shared motivation watch teams get to qualify additional watch standers and rotate them through secretly before the senior watch officer finds out, then pretend you didn't know any better.

I think I'd rather be 6 on 6 off with every third day off so I could legit rack out for ten hours.

We did four section circadian rhythm for a bit. It was awesome. Someone figure out how to keep it going in port and use your leadership to distribute info and manage cleanliness so you don't waste the reduced co-working time that is a requirement in meetings and clampdowns.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

quote:

“His enthusiasm and motivation are contagious!” a supervisor wrote on his eval. “A rock-solid performer with unlimited potential!”

Sure, insane guy on a ship. But this line feels fairly telling.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Article one, section eight of the U.S. Constitution posted:

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Goon Privateer anybody?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Somewhere in the Naval Historical and Heritage Center exists a sound file with a long empty string of silence, a couple of comments on various shipping contacts, another long pause and my JOOD asking me, 'So how about it? Mutiny and a life of Piracy? Do you think the crew would go for it?'.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Elendil004 posted:

Long ago I ran a fast ferry and yeah if you stuck some guns on it, it would be ideal.

Yeah, but what if I also want MCM and ASW capabilities?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahahaha, I definitely don't. I wish though.

I have been told at various times that I look like David Duchovny, Nathan Fillion, and Woody Harrelson (with hair) (gently caress you piL :argh: ).

Take from that what you will.

I think if it was just the Command Photo, nobody would have noticed for a week.

Edit: a good mess gives more power over disparate ratings to the good chiefs as they leverage their relationship while coming at the cost of protecting the bad ones. It also creates an organization that can provide social incentive for performance. Chiefs are obviously expected to train their subordinates but also their junior officers, and as I understand it, if your Ensign continues to struggle in ways that are preventable, the mess provides immediate feedback that orders from a department head and an annual ranking board are not as effective at communicating.

piL fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 13, 2018

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Alison Krauss's board advice still rings true: you say it best when you say nothing at all.

Also wasn't one of the COs at the wheel for less than a month? I think if it's Fitz, that'll be a tough conviction.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, it was FITZ. I went to his change of command. He was only in the seat for a few weeks but he also had a full ride as XO too.

I suppose he had a hand in training then.

Re: Why the hell be a CO-I'm fairly certain the Navy pays you less for being a Commanding Officer than for knowing Russian.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Should have handed out prefilled in charge sheets so the guys could fill them in.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I've always assumed that life at places like Atsugi were just like life at neighbouring bases (ie Yoko or Sasebo--neighbouring is relative) but better.

And actually Sasebo was pretty great.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Chanukah

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Pandasmores posted:

Quebege a trois

There it is, found the band name.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

Also two random questions for people who are still in

Where the hell can I buy those black hard plastic post binders they use for reactor plant manuals (I need to make a heavy duty tech pub for archive)

and

We had a "Blue Book" discrepancy log, and i'm trying to figure out if it was a custom printed item or if its in the stock system from some distributor that I can buy one from. It had three blank forms per page, and you'd write down whatever was broken or needed upgrading. Had boxes for initials of the supervisors and routing chain, and another set of boxes so those same people could be routed it when it was fixed for closeout. Even if it was something small. It was a really useful book for keeping track of little things over years that we finally got fixed in shipyard, like "airflow in 9 man berthing is hosed up, but thermostat has been tested and is working just fine" which just needed a new restrictor plate slapped in when they were ripping apart stuff anyway.

I don't know, but I wish there was still a bookbinder rate; I'm tired of ugly green book logs everywhere that change format every two or three pages.

Edit: trying to find evidence and I can't; maybe I made that up in a fever dream

Edit 2: I'm thinking of the Lithographer (LI) rating. I don't really know anything about what they did.

piL fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Some folk art nerds in Appalachia and myself are probably the only people interested, but if anybody wants to lateral transfer to Lithographer, build a time machine, complete the following training and contact your command career counselor.

NAVPERS 10452-A
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102152626

Chapter 19 doesn't include "print your PQS in booklet format, open your stapler and use a rubber eraser for the base", but it was a different era less concerned about waste.

Edit: If anybody needs some help studying advanced mathematics for electronics technicians or religions of Vietnam, the following link has hoarded a bunch of post ww2 training manuals:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=United States%2E Bureau of Naval Personnel

piL fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 29, 2018