Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=2138&perpage=40#post468070727

So on the one hand pointless military worship and jingoism are awful, but on the other hand you've got people like this.

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

Most FTS people learn to not touch the stove that is reservist affairs after about the third time of getting burnt after trying to help them or finding that the help they gave out was wasted because most reservists are professionals at being irresponsible or not caring at all.

That's never stopped anyone else in the Navy.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I haven't had a Navy Email account in 9 months because the FTS can't unfuck themselves and help me out. I've since given up on giving any fucks.

There's a guy that affiliated the same time as I did (so Marchish) and he still doesn't have any IT resources at all. I'm pretty sure the only reason I have a navy.mil is because of my civilian job.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
On one deployment they accidentally ordered way too many hamsters and nothing else. We had hamsters for lunch and dinner for an entire month.

I am not exaggerating.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

The only thing I miss besides friends is pretty good pay for a job I can completely gently caress up and/or not do at all and have no risk of being fired as long as nothing expensive blows up and no one dies.

And when that happens I would MAYBE get a slap on the wrist.

Shame about that DoD hiring freeze...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I was sent down to FL in a civilian capacity for some ship evolutions...and the ship never got my jpass request...and it's a saturday...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was underway so I need to catchup.

Guy going into reserves, dont, I regret it, personally.

Person wanting sweet job and certs, everyone already hit the mark, you can try FC as well but you have to go through AECF and might end up an ET. Tons of jobs on the outside for FC's though.

To any Sailor who will ever get underway on a Freedom variant, I'm sorry, I think. As a visitor it was cumbersome, maybe it's better as ships company. Tough to judge now. Mess line was cool though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This actually sounds like the cushest job on the boat.

My understanding is that there is no FC reserve, if you get out as an FC, you have to go back to Great Mistakes to do the last 9 weeks of ET A school to get reclassed ET.

As a reservist FC, that is incorrect.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Your rear end is done, once you're over the 10 year hill dehumanize yourself and face yourself to retirement.

Not necessarily. I got out at ten, so did a dozen or so people at my last command. I've known a few people who got out at 12-14 also. Now obviously getting out at 12 is a lot different than 10, but a lot of people go to shore to set up for a civilian job.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Some of reservists on AT getting a little nervous...

Take my lead and drop an IRR chit or just never show up for drill again lmao.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

I think you're good as long as you didn't take a bonus.

Even if you took a bonus (like my stupid rear end) they just kindly would like it back at some point. Prorated, of course.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

This sounds like some magical alternate reality version of the military where I can just peace out when it starts suckin too hard :stare:

Guess I'll find out how it is tomorrow at drill weekend #1

It's not that it's difficult, it's not. To me it's a lovely reminder of lovely navy bullshit (and there is a ton of navy bs in the reserves, maybe more due to what needs to happen ever drill) and the position I'm in where I'm frequently working on a poo poo ton of reserve stuff for free two weeks out from drill just to make sure it gets done.

Edit: KetTarma how long did it take for your chit to go up, come back, and you never dealing with the reserves again?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

Officers club right outside the base is an alright strip club from what the ships crew tells me.

They're probably wrong.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

Wasabi is a really cheap and pretty good sushi place, Simply Thai a couple of miles outside of base is a really great Thai place in a strip mall, so you wouldnt expect it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

hogmartin posted:

I have a 30% VA disability but the nearest VA hospitals are an hour away. I'm currently between jobs and don't have my employer's health coverage anymore. If I have to go to the ER, or see a local doctor sooner than I can get an appointment at the VA hospital, is that going to be completely out-of-pocket?

I believe so.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lmao

Although maybe in general vaping culture is tapering off. I was on the Detroit this week and didn't see anyone vaping.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The last day I was in mayport I ended up hitting lemons bar which is a pretty decent bar right on Atlantic or Neptune beach, think it's atlantic.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was looking around D&D where the current freak out is about 3 carrier strike groups heading to North Korea. The only source I can find is a South Korean news site. Three strike groups in one area is absolutely insane, the Vinson is still down in Indonesia, the Reagan and Nimitz are supposed to be heading that way. The Reagan is already forward deployed out of Japan, I'm assuming the Nimitz is just heading out to the gulf. There might be a time when all three are close due to transit I suppose?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I saw that too, the poster that posted it is doing that thing in D&D where you just reflexively post the first article you come across that you can sound alarm bells about without doing any real thinking or fact checking. The article is so poorly translated that it should have failed the sniff test immediately but instead it's become a little bit of accepted truth in that thread. Sometimes I'll push back, this time I did not. :(

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-carrier-still-thousands-of-miles-from-korea

I don't blame you, I saw when they jumped all over you regarding tomahawks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
IRR chit dropped. The command here seems super incredulous about it getting approved. I guess worst case I get a General under honorable discharge.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ded posted:

Why would you not get a regular honorable?

If the chit gets denied and I just stop showing up its an admin Sep, general under honorable conditions.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

I heard the reserves are not taking people (specifically SWO officers) until the next fiscal year. Is that true? My friend who is getting out at the same time as me asked about going to SELRES and they said they're out of spots and he's gonna have to wait or if he really wants to be in it then drill without pay. He said "lol kthx."

Seems like funding is an actual issue in the reserves.

It's is. People's at orders are getting cancelled left and right, forcing them to do at locally. This might be part for the course though, I've only been in the reserves for a year.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Dropping an IRR chit continues to be a good move based on the quota for selres FCCs...1.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

How salty is my chain gonna be if I do this like the day my 2-year mob deferment ends?

Depends on your coc, I'd bring it up early so they're aware of your intentions.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Some certified mail came from the NOSC today, but no one was home to sign!

I'll go grab it tomorrow but I'm going to assume my IRR chit got approved and it's my discharge stuff.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

That to me reads as a way to gently caress over people on the eval side who 'choose' not to go.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So within a month of me getting back to Great Lakes to instruct, a bunch of senior E-6s left the command, so the percentage of MTS qualified instructors dropped like a stone. The Chiefs knee-jerked into mandatory after work MTS training Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The best part is that they have a policy that you aren't even eligible to board for MTS until you've been at the command for 6 months. Because of course.

Edit:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=100975

They called it.

Thats exactly what happened to me. Then all of us that got there at the same time qualified. Then we all left and...the future refused to change.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Now make warfare pins voluntary, too, and we get to actually select people who genuinely give a care.

loving lmao.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

I should've gone through the process to claim my 30% for sleep apnia, hearing loss, and similar stack of ailments. Instead I was a tough sailor and that sounded like I'd have to fight people to get it.

Uh...sleep apnea alone is 50%...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I could very easily imagine a less than awake helmsman and an OOD & conn bullshitting on the port bridge wing completely missing something on the starboard side of the ship.

What about combat? I've stood plenty of mid CSC watches so I know how alert the average watch team is at that point, especially in friendly waters, but you'd think someone would have seen the contact.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Combat may have had a CICWO (Combat Information Center Watch Officer) but that junior officer is just supposed to mainly watch chat and deal with comms if they had a CIC watch stood up at all.

If you're steaming around home port not doing anything in particular it might not be stood up at all.

I have never once been on an aegis ship without combat stood up in some capacity, regardless of location. When I say stood up I don't mean an ensign running around as cicwo.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Clarence posted:

Would either ship have a 'black box' recording sensor information, speed, course and/or what was being said on the bridge?

Edit: yes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elendil004 posted:

Interesting. I would have assumed 4 hour watches 0000-0400 relieved at quarter/half till or 6 hour watches 0000-0600. I also find it kinda crazy not to have a helm, a lookout, and a deck and/or conn on the bridge at all times. My experience (USCG) is certainly tangential to Navy but I always assumed the navy was an order of magnitude more watch-redundant than us.

Triple post due to phone posting.

The watch rotation will depend heavily on how many qualified people you have per watch station. Without asking someone on the fitz there's literally no way to know.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been underway with little to no manning in combat plenty of times.

Well I guess our anecdotes have landed us at an impasse. The lowest manning we ever had was steaming back from Hawaii after pac, and we still had csc/surface/tic/ids/and a token Senior guy, either Tao or air.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 27, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

TAOs would only be on watch if we were actually doing something. Just :lol: if your CO had department heads standing watch 100% of the time you were underway. You had some cranky DHs as a result I'm sure.

Yea we all thought it was ridiculous at the time. How far out were they? Like 50 nm? I don't know, you'd think in that situation you'd be manned. The lovely part about this is we won't know for sure for like a year. The one guy I know who is actually on the fitz wasnt onboard for that underway, thankfully.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

The reserves are the literal worst.

But that healthcare and sidepay is not.

Can't use reserve tricare if you work for the government.

Literally no reason to be in the reserves if you're a federal employee. lulz

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Great Lakes is under water right now. By some miracle our place didn't flood, but we're like the 1 in 4 that can say that. Cars floating away, classes being canceled. Good stuff.

Yea I saw. Still have a bunch of instructor buddies down there and all of them have flooded basements.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Anita Dickinme posted:

I realized recently that when it's actually a decent quite there's a faint ringing. I have no faith they'll believe me.

I didn't have any issues getting rated for it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Is the Reserve worth whatever effort is involved to become involved with it? For being "such a good deal" it really isn't marketed as heavily as the Army counterpart.

Things that would draw me to it:
-Cheap healthcare for a young family
-The potential to go find some job that is exciting or fulfilling in some way (change of designator?) I want to think that maybe there's something I would've enjoyed doing in uniform....this might be naive of me, admittedly

-Things that would not draw me to it
-I was not thrilled by the people I found myself working for on AD and the idea of reservists lowering the bar further scares me
-It's like teasing yourself with the idea of being a civilian, but not 100%

I dropped it mainly because as a federal employee I'm not eligible for tricare, and the two negatives you listed were painfully true.

That being said if I was a SWO abs eligible for tricare I probably would have stuck with it. I guess.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Seriously though, how is being a dept head worse than something like LPO?

As a former lpo, based on what I've seen in the ward room, I'd take lpo of a bunch of poo poo heads over dept head any day of the week from a mental health standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yikes

I feel like now is a good time for a copy/paste of the shim post with the Air Force IT officer fiancé asking questions in here or w/e it was

That sounds interesting.