Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I sneak off with one of our Lt Cmdrs and play Warmachine and DnD sometimes. We have public board game days where it's mostly civilians and enlisted scum and then I schedule another day so he can get together with me and my civilian friends without worrying about someone on the ship crying about who he is spending time with.

I need some Sailors like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm pretty sure that Stultus Maximus is senior to me.

Year group 98. Do I win? ;)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah pretty much. Kind of funny that this came up during mental health talk. The reason I'm an old rear end terminal O4 is because of some mental health issues on my first shore tour that kept me from getting a breakout FITREP. I don't know how much that hurts in the SWO community but in aviation it's the kiss of death. On the upside I no longer get the "you have to take this job to be competitive" spiel and I've taken orders I wanted for the most part.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DIRSUP CTTs can go to big decks.

E: as a CSG staff augment.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I can't read. :( I read that as won't go to big decks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

CMD598 posted:

How? We all use the same oil.

Mechs..

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks for speaking some common sense. Not gonna lie, I do feel some anxiety from time to time.

I'm out next summer; definitely feeling some angst myself, mostly about actually finding a job.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

An NFO, the most useless of designators for careers outside the Navy.

That being said, I did talk with a contractor a while back at a conference that said there were a lot of companies who were eager to hire WTIs, with the caveat that you're still involved with the exact same poo poo that you did while in. You're just not required to work on weekends or shave every day.

Which is pretty much the complete opposite of what I want to do.

I know I can get _a_ job, I just want to hit the ground running. Luckily I have a buddy who has been recruiting for years and and he knows his poo poo so I'm in pretty good hands. Just nervous because the Navy is literally all I've known in my adult life. I'm definitely ready to move on at this point but yeah it's definitely starting all over.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I have TAP at the end of the month. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Hey there used to be CTOs and CTAs too

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Day one of TAP, finance guy is a retired GSM. Welp that's my story.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

Expectations managed.

So it turns out Mr Retired GSM was the highlight of the day. :psyduck:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Except at least CTAs were able to somewhat keep up their proficiency with managing security admin. In most cases I've seen YNs with that NEC are pretty terrible at it due to lack of experience.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TAP Day 2. DoL contract instructor is a retired NCC. :suicide:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

You're retiring, you can just attend days 1 and 5!

Not being snarky, where does it say this?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Think this fits with the current discussion. Some dude I know from the Navy practices Norse Heathenism, like, unironically

Not sure if its the same thing but on USS current ship they have Heathen Services on the schedule.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The only way to go wrong at this point is by picking P-3s.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Somebody is jealous of that huge TDY dosh.

Would've joined the Air Force if I wanted 10k foot runways and sweet TAD money.

Remember boys and girls: "flare to land, squat to pee."

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Vulture you're an NFO, yeah? I have questions about accelerating my future. Actually I could use assistance from any NFO in that regard. Namaste.

edit: My racism avatar :(

Yup, and so is Wingnut Ninja. I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't have PMs but feel free to hit me up at my forums name at geemail dot com. Let me know if you do so I can check spam.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

Better than wearing a diaper or pissing into a bag.

I'm a Prowler guy, I had a relief tube. :smug: But yes now I have to pee in a bag if I need to go while I'm flying. I actually like A-10 drivers, CJ drivers, and AWACS dudes. Compass Calls are EW brothers of course. I mostly like AWACS guys because I hate the way they get poo poo on at every Red Flag debrief ever for stuff that was in no way their fault. I saw a 1LT get savaged at one and then of the F-22 guys stood up and basically gave that rear end in a top hat the business for making GBS threads on the 1LT for no reason. It was pretty awesome.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Done deal, thanks, wanted to get out ahead on how much about Kenny Loggins I need to know

If you don't already have the Top Gun soundtrack you're well behind the power curve.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Let me tell you about the time that the EW guys in the prowlers and E2s came to me worried about being lit up by surface to air missile systems​ that didn't exist in theater.

Please do.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

I made a flip book PowerPoint of the difference between commercial navigation radar and surface to air engagement radar. Shot it out to the squadrons after a few days of them freaking out

Also pointed out that the missile systems didn't exist in the ocean. Or in the theater.

E2 guys aren't EW types, so that isnt really surprising. Prowler guys shouldve known better but without knowing details you cant put in here I can't really say if they were AFU or there was some confounding factor.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Major Minor posted:

Hey Jimmy, I read this thread everyday but never post because I知 retarded and not funny. I知 on the SNA side so I can稚 help you with much post-API but I have NFO buddies at every stage of training and in every community so feel free to give me a shout with whatever and if I can稚 help, I値l get you someone who knows better.

As Wingnut said, go ahead and check-in now and save your leave. After getting all your admin and medical done, you値l primarily be checking in every morning for 10 minutes with PT 2-3x a week and maybe a couple times you値l get hit with duty. You値l sit in A-Pool for a while but you値l get to IFS/API a lot sooner than the SNAs you check in with.

If you have any burning questions or need someone to show you around, shoot me a PM!

Most of the people who post in this thread are retarded and not funny.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I've never denied being in that group.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Good one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

Basically. It's a staff support command for Naval Forces Japan and has a shitload of khaki. The last cycle the NOSC found that the unit had made some changes internal that lead to an investigation and the removal of all PFA authority from the unit. In order to get it back, the NOSC demanded that an Officer (who they believe cannot be leveraged) oversee the program directly.

So essentially myself and an OSC (that I requested) will be the only individuals with access to PRIMS with an additional 3-5 ACFL's to help administer. The NOSC will run our PFA this cycle, I'll build the baseline off of it, and then we'll have autonomy in the fall cycle. My goal is to turn this over to the OSC in all but name by next year (maybe hold final approval on all scores).

Also, literally nothing is a grown up collateral in the reserves, because :lol: reserves.

The only way this story gets better is if you end up on the hook for 1000 dollars worth of t-shirts.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

I have less than a month left. Still had to do a midterm. Put down "get a dog" as one of my goals.

I have to do midterm counseling as well. I'm not as close as you are​ to getting out but it will be my last regular FITREP. Supposed to list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Have to figure out what my comedy options are.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

http://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-pedestrians-reportedly-struck-car-times-square/story?id=47489279

"

quote:

A driver plowed into a crowd in New York's Times Square midday Thursday, killing an 18-year-old woman and injuring 22 others, police said.

The motorist, a Navy veteran, tried to flee the scene, according to police, but was tackled by a traffic agent.

quote:

Rojas has had multiple arrests, including two for driving while intoxicated, police said.

Which one of you was this?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Meanwhile my appeal is in year 4.

That's nuts.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah this one is for my knee.

Well I thought I pulled off a good joke. drat.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I teach in middle school.

I don't know how you do it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Headed over to the boat to embark for my last deployment. Super depressed even though it means I'm not far away from retirement. Leaving my family really sucks. :smith:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Staff duty.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nah staff duty is all about cupping the Chief of Staff's balls gently.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Strike group staff? I used to be the air defense LNO. Csg staff blows. At least as LNO I didn't have to deal with most of the bs.

Yes, CSG staff. As staffs go this is actuallya it good one. But staff duty is staff duty.

Godholio posted:

Out of curiosity, did you guys ever get to do any training with the air wing prior to cruise? Or just whatever comes up later?

COMPTUEX is about it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Not many things are flame resistant when they're soaked in jet fuel.

Jet fuel has relatively high flash point so flame resistance still matters. :science:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Hello from somewhere in the Pacific shipmates.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Waffles and green beans because they've missed 3 scheduled RAS due to operational tasking.

And half the green beans are burnt while the other half so are so mushy you can't pick them up with a fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

The Valley Stared posted:

I appreciate it. I'm still processing a lot of it, and knowing that this place is filled with Navy sailors made me a little too comfortable. The information that I posted is consistent with the news, except for the time.

I'll praise my sailors for their damage control abilities, but I'm not going to talk about the damage publicly at this time, nor anything involving the time leading to the collision.

I've already talked with my best friend and my mentor, both former DCAs so I was able to speak with them more thoroughly on the damage and what we did.

But if you know anyone on the ship, get in touch with them, even if it's just to say you're thinking about them. I know that there will be lots of "Well look at where the damage hit!" posts and armchair OODs, but please, tell people you're thinking about them. It means more than you will ever know.

Seeing the crowd on the pier when we got back was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Being told that we had support and that others were standing by for us made me realize that we weren't alone.

Just saw the news that confirmed that 7 Sailors were killed. I've lost a few friends in Navy in aviation mishaps and it really sucks. Take some solace in the fact that by the looks of it you and the crew did an amazing job of keeping that ship going. Yes, there will be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. Do your best to ignore it. Condolences to you and the crew.