Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Datapoint: We had an dude miss ship's movement because there was a wrestling match he really really wanted to attend. Nothing happened to him. Admittedly, this was 25 years ago, and he was an ensign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

orange juche posted:

Didn't they do a nuclear cruiser or something? Can't say they ever got as small as a DDG.

Bainbridge was the smallest one, IIRC, and it was about the same tonnage as a Burke. Virginias were a little heavier than Ticos, they just didn't look like it.

(former CGN dude)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Commoners posted:

Do the back in the military dreams stop at any point? I think it's funny that during my dreams I instantly go into a resigned "Do whatever the gently caress you want, I'm not even supposed to be here" mindset and then I just watch people gently caress everything up.

As of 25 years on, I can say--not yet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I have no regrets about never wearing khaki.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks for the :lol: McNally.

A lot of times ships won't have bridgewing lookouts assigned because there are 4-6 people on watch in the pilothouse anyways that are supposed to be looking out. Bringwing lookouts are only usually up during evolutions or any low vis situation.

Wat

How long has this been a thing?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

USN never broadcasts AIS.

And yet USNS ships sometimes do.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Seriously, why not go bright orange? The old utilities were basically prison uniforms, so we have precedent.

You'd think they'd want bright colors for visibility in man-overboard situations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The F-15Cs would have shot down the friendlies, too

Well, naturally. Better safe than sorry.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol this will end well. Be sure to remember your SA password and contact us during boot camp. Also send us your div mailbox so we mail you care packages.

Additional Protip: do not open any care packages we send you.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

A large group of people tell you earnestly that you will probably fail out of this program and if you succeed will hate every second of your life for years with a significant chance of a bullet to the dome as your exit strategy and you take it with a "golly gee folks guess you're gonna have to laugh at me later."

You have enough time to save yourself. There are zero people that come out of the nuke world that say "aww, it wasn't as bad as it was hyped up to be."

I have fewer regrets than most of the people here, but I got out in 1992, when it wasn't as lovely of a place.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Wtf where'd all this deck chat come from???

Topsiders gonna topside, I guess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

piL posted:

Goon Privateer anybody?

In 1991 we hoped that, in the usual way of Navy regulations, prize money rules were still mouldering away on the books somewhere. There seemed like a non-zero chance that we might actually be called upon to take a prize during the "blockade Iraqi and Jordanian ports" phase of Desert Storm. I don't know what a modern container ship and a fuckton of cars looted from Kuwait would have sold for, but a 1/600th share of that would still fill quite a few stripper g-strings.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They used to get prize money, too, which was most of their income in those days. Letter of marque were an easy way to increase the size of your fleet for cheap.

Modern day merchant ships are fairly ill suited to piracy.

Fast ferries, man.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Or any other branch.

Is it really just that they give them officer uniforms? Does the khaki dye cause some kind of biochemical reaction?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

The way I’ve seen it is 90% of the people who stay in were bullied in high school and stayed in because they finally have “power” over people. I honestly couldn’t believe it when some master chief went off on my buddy for cutting a literal foot off the crosswalk and tried to send him to mast.

I can definitely see that as a Master-at-Arms motivator. (Sorry, MAA's who are decent people. I assume you're out there somewhere.)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is the SM-6 really a capable ASCM or is it listed because the Navy desperately wants everyone to believe that the 1970s Harpoon isn't still our only ASUW weapon?

The Navy desperately wanted everyone to believe that the antiship version of Tomahawk worked, but they just couldn't keep a straight face after a while.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cerekk posted:

if the Navy really wants to improve recruiting they should just bring back prize ships

We asked some pointed questions about that in Desert Storm, when it looked like there was a real chance we could take a prize.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

pkells posted:

Destroyer trip report:

How the gently caress do you guys live on a tiny cramped ship like that for months at a time? And how do you put up with such a crazy work schedule? I spent a month with the army last year in Puerto Rico living in a camp, and they seemed to have a better quality of life.

But the boat was cool, and my friend kept introducing this chief at the happy hour event afterwards as "an officer on the boat". Multiple people on the tour asked about whether or not they have nukes on board. I asked the 1Lt or whatever you call them how much BS they put up with getting the board ready for non-stop tours through their home for the past week. His smirk answered my question.

You snag the top bunk, so you have room to sit up and free storage space between inspections.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Plenty of :stare: nautical poo poo going on in this story about the El Faro sinking: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/04/inside-el-faro-the-worst-us-maritime-disaster-in-decades

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Well, there's another movie I'm not going to able to see in the theater because I'd spend all my time yelling at the screen.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Down Periscope is a goddamn documentary.

No, I thought we were talking about this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9j6O1PF1Lk

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I know someone in Hampton roads who lives in a tiny house right on the water. Not evacuating of course, because they're in Zone 3 for some reason.

Luckily the updated Euro model has the storm loitering at the coast, restrengthening, then heading east and south rather than north. So good for Norfolk, RIP the Carolinas. Still going to dump an intense amount of rain into southern virginia.

e; GFS has a fun prediction. Chaos, Chaos reigns.

It doesn't look that good for Norfolk, either.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I guess it's cool that they can do this but it sounds like a poo poo job to do it.

Mark VI patrol boats make 500 mi trip

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

1. Go see Sorrento. It's life-changingly beautiful.
2. Go see Capri - take the hydrofoil just to say you've been on a hydrofoil. It's also life-changingly beautiful.
3. If you must visit Naples proper, stick to the hills - it's a way to avoid the absolute shitpile of scum, villainy, and trash the main city's beset with. Seriously, try to avoid the temptation to go bar-hopping past dusk.

This. It's basically Norfolk, but surrounded by nice scenery.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

McNally posted:

I know TVS posted about her position on the Fitz, but I think we should wait for her input before we connect dots that lead back to her real name here on the forums.

Was that the ProPublica article?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

buttplug posted:

Post-Cole or pre-Cole? The Navy has always taken firefighting at sea seriously, but much, much moreso after the Cole bombing. Which, again harks back to my point above about how we tend to learn a lot of lessons the hard way (through blood).

The bitterest pill is that it gradually forgot how serious about firefighting it got after watching the British experience in the Falklands--the USN suddenly remembered flash gear was a good idea, and maybe we ought to have some of those thermal imager thingies, and maybe replacing all that WW2 surplus mechanical foam with something that didn't attract sharks might be better for all concerned, and everything was very firefighting-oriented. How many times has this cycle repeated?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Regardless though, the engine rooms are always hot even in the winter.

...up to a point. When injection temps were below freezing, we had ER ventilation off and were comfortable at around 65F.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I won't be happy until the enlisted ranks look like the warboys.

maybe not even then

Remember: use silver food coloring, not actual silver paint.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, what? They'd changed the jack (at some time over the last 25 years)?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I spent the first and last couple months of my first DIVO tour in the yards and it was as miserable as you describe. I wasn't trying to look good for anyone, and neither was my DH who was awesome. The yards just suck.

OTOH, you're not deployed.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Drones, soon available in frigate size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPz9YWS5dH4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

quarters, clamp down, watch, lunch, study for ESWS/quals, dinner, video games, watch, sleep

repeat for months

oh and GQ drills

GQ drills forever

Oh good, nothing's changed since 1992.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's essentially what happened to the Comanche, too--feature creep.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t marry someone in the service.

Or a stripper.

What about a stripper in the service? Do those things cancel out like double negatives?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So far Whidbey as been pretty awesome, good to be back in the Northwest.

That said holy hell the deer here are a bunch of annoying overgrown forest rats.

Are deer... not like that somewhere?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh look, they're naming a ship after someone who's still alive. Again.

https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/2019/05/06/New-destroyer-to-be-named-in-honor-of-ex-US-Sen-Sam-Nunn/3621557150220/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cerekk posted:

George Washington had five different warships named for him before he died.

It was in poor taste then, too. At least the Continental Navy had the excuse of not having poo poo else to draw on.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PROCUREMENT CHAT

I think we may have finally dodged a bullet:

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/28/lo...0JlUCghfA-OVhEg

quote:

Lockheed Martin won’t submit a bid to compete in the design of the Navy’s next-generation guided-missile (FFG(X)) frigate competition, company officials told USNI News on Tuesday.

The company elected to focus on its involvement developing the frigate combat system and other systems rather than forward its Freedom-class LCS design for the detailed design and construction contract Naval Sea Systems Command plans to issue this summer, Joe DePietro, Lockheed Martin vice president of small combatants and ship systems, told USNI News.The company informed the Navy on May 23 it would not join the other bidders for the hull design, two sources familiar with the notification told USNI News.

While the design passed two Navy reviews, the company told the service it felt the Freedom design would be stretched too far to accommodate all the capabilities required, one source told USNI News.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mentioned over in current events, but Very Stable Genius Alert:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

What's wrong with the Ike jacket? Next you'll tell me you hate the interstate highways system for reasons beyond it destroyed mass train travel between population centers in middle America

Hey now--the post-WW2 implosion of the rail industry also had a lot to do with the fact they were run at capacity to move oil with no allowance for maintenance for four years and no postwar allocation for repairs.