Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I woke up to the news that we lost another shipmate from my first ship. Suicide. (Not our first.) She was a great Sailor and a pretty cool chick. So many of us are heartbroken.

Talk to someone, shippies. It can get better.

1-800-273-8255 is the national suicide hotline. Go to doc. Ask someone for help. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anita Dickinme posted:

I wasn't sure if they had a confidentiality thing.

They do.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

squarerandom posted:

CTT, so here's to hoping I get something good.

LOL. Ship in Japan for you, pal.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I go to college for a living. Pretty much owns. VA pays my mortgage, tuition and books and also yoga pants all day.

Today I went to a meeting and got free pizza.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Boon posted:

Also, my dudes, a friend's consulting team is working a project for vets and they need help for some demographic data. They need data from vets, and really need data from lady vets. If you're willing to assist please complete the short 7 question survey at the link below.

https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eb1J5dRvw5Sx8BT

Where does this info go? What kind of org is it? (I'm a Lady Vet.)

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 12, 2017

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Day one of TAP, finance guy is a retired GSM. Welp that's my story.

Expectations managed.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

TAP Day 2. DoL contract instructor is a retired NCC. :suicide:

Ours was a 23 year old milspouse with a Master's in business. The DOL teaching job was her first out of college. Yay.

Whatever, I just got out and went to college.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sarkazm posted:

Hey ladies, you probably don't remember me, but I stalked these forums a few years ago as a disgruntled and very bored Chief. You shits even wrote me a NAM for my retirement that is still on my dresser at home. Anyway, I'm back.

So, here's the skinny. I'm retired, bearded up, keep my hands in pockets at all times and don't give two shits if you vape on ships. More importantly is this: The reason I'm here. I worked for almost two years after retirement as a Dept of Labor Employment Workshop Facilitator and now work at a Fleet and Family Service Center in the San Diego area where I help military peeps learn how to be people again. If you have questions about transition, job searches, LinkedIn, interviews, resumes, and just life in general after EAOS, ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If you've ever been in one of my TGPS classes, I'd like to apologize right now because you're probably homeless.

Hey bro. No beard, because welp. But I'm out too. Y'all need to get Rick from the outprocessing unit in WA to do your VA portion. The actual VA reps were poo poo, but he got me fixed up. Dude's legit.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Not false.

Also, Rick is a TPU guy. Retired CPO, fat, bearded, the works. He gives a "How to get your due" class, unofficially, to folks outprocessing in WA. It's a great class, probably because it's entirely just his experience and off the record. Nothing official at all. TGPS sucked rear end and was so far useless. Rick is awesome (even if he did scare me out of smoking weed in WA, and now I'm in TX where it will never be available.)

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Also, y'all that are still in need to look into SkillBridge. 6 months of TAD learning to work for a non-govt company, while the Navy still pays you. It's a real thing and no one talks about it. http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2015/NAV15222.txt

Sarkazm - being trapped in Japan for TGPS is awful. The FFSC folks are out of touch, we rarely have an actual VA rep (usually just someone they send out to read us the book.) And good luck going to another base. I went three times while there. I'm just bitter because it's so freaking hard to outprocess from there and they really don't have a lot of advice (surprisingly) on how to apply for jobs or schools from overseas.

Also, my class was 3/4 dudes with ARIs getting booted. They gave no fucks. I wish ReTap still existed.

Edit because folks are asking: This is legit, really.

https://dodskillbridge.com/

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 21, 2017

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I got absolutely everything documented while I was in. The VA contract docs didn't give a poo poo about any of it and did their own exams. I got money for my bad knees (that I went to medical for YEARS about) that the Navy told me were fine, and 0% for my very well documented hearing loss.

VA Disability is a crapshoot, man. But it's worth it for the free parking alone, in my state. DV plates are free, for anything above 30%, and disabled vets don't pay for parking. State Law. Every time I go to a game it saves me $20.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

germskr posted:

Did you submit on your own or have a VSO or representative do it? I'm not paying a lawyer, but apparently doing it through the VA website makes it less likely that you can file poo poo later on down the road, which is something that I will more than likely have problems from my current service-related injuries. Just wondering if it's worth using a VSO from a VFW or similar.

I submitted mine through the DAV. I was armed with a spreadsheet listing each issue/date of diagnosis/description/frequency/length/current treatment - example:

Left ear/ none/ loud tonal ringing/ daily/constant/none.
Right ear/ruptured eardrum Dec.99/hearing loss/daily/constant/none
ETC

It helped a LOT. The DAV rep also asked a lot of questions, and frankly the C&P doctors are great. They WANT you to get covered and treated. Navy docs loving suck. The only issue I had was the psych part. That was a painful process, proving my assault over and over again to the VA (different offices and people,) despite CO's mast paperwork and police reports, and actually finding a shrink that doesn't suck. Still trying that, actually. But YMMV if you're not a lady goon in TX.

OH also, it was backpaid to the day I MADE my appointment with the DAV. 2 months before I actually filed. I got 7 months backpay. That was great.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most likely patch her up so she can sail on her own to San Diego in a Yoko drydock and finish repairs CONUS. If not, they'll load her up like they did the Cole and Samuel B Roberts. I doubt they do full repairs in Japan.

A couple years ago they pulled the engine out of the starboard side of a DDG and rebuilt it before putting her back together - the shipyard is very capable and the Japanese workers/American yard could likely handle the job. It's going to come down to money and time and the drydock schedule. There's only two (since the carrier needs it's big one available on schedule) and they're usually occupied.

I'm wondering who will replace her in Japan.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
One night on the midwatch when it was quiet I chatted with the 0-4 TAO. Freshly back on a ship from shore duty I asked why there were so many damned Ensigns running around these days. He told me that it now takes 500 Ensigns to make one CDR, where in the 90's, it only took 200. When I asked why he though that was, he yelled "LOOK AT MY LIFE, CHIEF!" with the most crazed eyes I had ever seen. CIC got REAL quiet after that.

He's out now, flipping houses somewhere. Too bad for Uncle Sam, because he was fantastic.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

I'm imagining Benny Hill music.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
http://www.fox30jax.com/news/florida/navy-removes-workers-who-called-babies-mini-satans/611500760

How does Jax work? Navy Nurse, Corpsman, or contractor?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/17/americas/argentina-submarine-missing/index.html

Argentina loses contact with a sub. It's not "lost" though. You have to look for for it to be lost according to guy hoping no one will call him on his BS.

Edit: Better article. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42030560

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I'm going to go home tonight and hug my DD214 after I kill this final exam. In college in Texas where the uniform of the day is leggings and crop tops.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

shovelbum posted:

Just talked to a guy I know who is on a destroyer about the work hours, he told he about getting like three one hour naps per night and nothing else for months, with a crew of hundreds. As a merchant mariner it is just all super alien to me, you can run a thousand foot ultradeepwater drillship 24/7 such that everyone gets 12 hours of rest a day with half the crew I mean I know a destroyer is more complicated than a box full of boxes like I'm used to these days but gently caress man those schedules can't be good for not getting run over

:chiefsay: But is everyone awake for an hour of cleaning stations? How do your passageways stay spotless without an army of zombie OS's waving radiator brushes at your pipes? :chiefsay:

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
One time Sarkazm and I put "Has a really cute wife, for a dweeb" under a technician's strengths on a midterm. He did, and I still have no idea how he duped her into marriage. We were seriously hurting for strengths.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boy are my arms tired posted:

e: i don't suppose anyone here has any experience with IUSS billets? all of my instructors are calling it career-enders for the rate since its "not real navy" or whatever but that sounds like some salt since apparently the QOL owns bones compared to non-IUSS

QOL=good. Chance of advancing ever=not awesome. What kind of IUSS? Sea or shore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

boy are my arms tired posted:

the only shore stations would be whidbey and dam neck though which kind of sucks

Eh. Some folks love Whidbey.

I forgot you were new. You're young, you'll be okay wherever you end up. Just get qualed and keep your nose clean.