Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The gently caress is with navy flips and freemasons

Like I guess the Mafia can get worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry to hear

It's quite odd, seemingly mundane suicides hit you a lot harder than you think.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Coveralls are unprofessional and a dirty working uniform

Flight suit ok tho

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jusy weekly ice cream nights

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hearing your guys horror stories puts things into perspective because I felt we were pretty drat spoiled on deployment

Didn't stop everyone from constantly bitching about the food. It was pretty good all things considered

Although it was mostly out of service because I'm sure they didn't want to tend to it there was soft serve too

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Of course there's so many variables to consider--the repercussions stigma for mental health issues in the Military is largely overblown. I've seen a ton of guys stay in diagnosed with mental issues, taking psych meds, having gone to a 30 day impatient treatment rehab for alcohol.

Maybe once upon a time that sort of thing was a "career ender," or w/e. It really shouldn't disuade you from talking to someone.

As said, the larger ships will have a psychologist and behavioral health Corpsman while underway. In port you gave a slew of options.

For the sake of continuity of care all your health issues should be taken care of within your command/MTF/etc. So on a ship an IDC or whatever there is. Commands like to bully junior enlisted and convince them they can't get medically treated outside of their immediate command even though they're on a large loving Naval base with a huge hospital with ER. That said, mental health is kind of the thing you can completely jump and negate all that.

Woh, that's a lot of words. But yeah not sure if you're underway or what. If you have the slightest inclination that you want to "just talk to someone," or something is up, you really should do just that and who knows what deeper issues there might be.

Oh yeah sorry and of course the chaplain if you're spiritual. Try to find an RP

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah you're right, it was a bit exaggerated it's just people get spooked by anything mental health related

I mean I've known dudes actively under treatment that were still allowed to carry their rifle and do their regular duties

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Prob fake but I still laughed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I got a somewhat threatening letter to update my address/phone via some website. I think that was it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Asking for someone. What are all the ideal IT-esque type of jobs for someone that wants to do four and get out, maybe use GI Bill, and have a possible career prospects as a civilian right out of the Navy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I never got all the CT jobs. I know there's three? Two are of IT variants and one is linguistics?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok so everything but CTI, got it, thanks.

Said person speaks Spanish but lol that's probably more commonplace than Tagalog

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God the flag isn't racist guys it's just a battle flag learn your history y'all ignorant

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Boon posted:

I choose to believe that this is a troll

No it's just the response Mil dudes give you when you call them out on that dumb flag

GOD JUST CAUSE THE KKK USED IT ONCE DOESNT MEAN ITS RACIST

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think this fits with the current discussion. Some dude I know from the Navy practices Norse Heathenism, like, unironically

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha wtf

In boot camp some dude kept arguing to keep his Wicca Bible w/e as if it was a Bible or something. Think he got separated in boot camp within two weeks for something else

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was anyone not religious in boot camp

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Downtown Waikiki is gayer than a bag of dicks.

Idk even tho it's a tourist trap I think it's fun

Get to the north shore

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Go to your local clinic and they will set you up including getting you a card. You can use them for 100% of your primary care. Emergency care will be at the local ER. They will have procedures in place for you to use a local ER. Just ask at the clinic. There are people there whose only job is to guide you through the process.

Nah, most likely local clinic will have the application, if you don't get it online, and and have a courier that runs it to the VA. That's the extent of it. They won't do all the "official" stuff, getting an ID, etc. I think I had to fax mine (yes fax they don't accept email of course) because someone lost it along the way

I could be wrong, but branch clinics are generally just a regular ol' doctors office that may have a psychiatrist/psychologist and do very minimal VA stuff

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your local places sucks loving balls. There are regional differences, I guess. The clinic down here has staff to help with everything. You can go get an ID same day at my clinic. They make them on site.

Yeah this is where I used to live. I figured it was, like everything with the VA, a highly regional thing. It was literally just a tiny Doctor's office in a strip mall

Luckily I'm near a VA with an ER, but still use a branch clinic for most everything

Also I'm an idiot because the branch clinic I go to is practically a mini-VA. Also has the DAV offices, and other VA-esque office areas. I'm sure they could make an ID there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No more e-cigs

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=99913

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

god I can't loving stand open top dip bottles/cups/whatever lying everywhere and spilling and poo poo gently caress

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:doh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean I get TGPS sucks and I sure as hell didn't wanna do it but some people really need that. Transitioning out can be hard but I am not sure how much they could better facilitate it honestly. Some dudes never had a real job and are country bumpkins--they really need all that poo poo. It may seem so elementary to us, but yeah.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yoooo I would have loved these

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah it's the same as leave you just don't check in at the end

Don't go get a DUI or something equally as dumb

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't IT promotion auto until like e-6

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What side you hanging at? If you're limited in time I'd probably just stay at one. I know Hilo is or did get built up a lot. I find the big island pretty meh in comparison. Kauai is absolutely unreal and everyone needs to go once

Anyways I have family--Hilo--that's been there a long time so I can ask if you legit need more niche suggestions

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao all this uniform poo poo. Jesus just get one and standardize it across the branches, have options, not dumb wear rules specific to one job/base/etc (within reason)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-chiefs-cpo-365-phase-i-optional

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Idk why people in GIP are always like "eh I should have applied for disability LOL oh well!"

🤔 it's--free--money you're entitled to

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

what's for midrats

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gotta get them tendies & pb&js

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if old news but the Navy released the names of the seven sailors

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That's pretty brilliant but I imagine even if you're exempt from the 2nd one you'll be voluntold or some such bullshit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Plus the 30 min warm up and gathering of everyone, 30 min after trying to get your time in so you can bounce. Running in 95 degree dry heat nah gently caress that

Plus I worked night shift so I either got to do it on my day off or coming off work 😊

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

just be one of those fatties that tries to do the bike or swim because it's easier, never train, and fail and end up on FEP

I get they're options, but leadership still tries to coerce people away from those unless they have an injury or some poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So random question:

Whenever this sort of thing happens the captain is always immediately relieved, correct? I mean I get it, they need to investigate and such. Does the XO take over?

If it's found that whatever the incident was, not just ramming another ship, was not the fault of anyone on the Naval ship, does the Captain get his job back?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

99% sure you don't need uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol if you don't keep your coveralls or parka liner