Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

If you have a chance to pitch in and do grunt work (within reason) loving do it. That goes incredibly far in the eyes of the junior guys

:lol:

this is ensign fuckstick and im the man in charge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

While we're talking about downers I just had one of my sailors try to commit suicide last night.

Get help sea ghosts.

The call over the 1MC for "Corpsman lay topside" by the belowdecks watch is something I still hear in my head.

Hope your dude is ok.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

There was one recruit in my division who tried it with his towel in the showers. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

Belowdecks carries a weapon now? gently caress sake. All I ever had to worry about was that dumb belt.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hogmartin posted:

Dunno about now, this was 2006. Topside, pier rover, and belowdecks all had M9s with a shotgun for the pier rover.

Ya. Post 9/11 kneejerk bullshit. Normal for me was topside had a 1911 (switch to m9 around the last year I was in) and if we were in another country we had a pier guy with a shotgun.

edit : i mean really if a van full of assholes makes it past the gate and all the way to a boat wtf are 3 mostly untrained dudes going to do against them? or if it's special forces types coming in via the water same poo poo only more bloody.

ded fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 2, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Because the flavoring is used to cover up the fact the beans are trash.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Don't be a bitch go use the LL head.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qi3IooOVI

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

scripterror posted:

Every time this has happened to me they're blowing san 3. Another reason i'm counting the days at 525 left.

ded posted:

Don't be a bitch go use the LL head.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Underway I showered before every loving watch. I know drat well how to properly sonar tech.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PneumonicBook posted:

IRR chit dropped. The command here seems super incredulous about it getting approved. I guess worst case I get a General under honorable discharge.

Why would you not get a regular honorable?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Never having transited Yokosuka personally Dan anyone confirm that 50 miles south is out of the area where you've got narrow channels to worry about, but may still have a maneuvering watch stationed due to level of traffic. On a map it looks like the area in question is IVO that little horn

I have been through that area and it is very heavy with shipping. My boat was nearly run over a few times in that area.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MrYenko posted:

Transiting shipping lanes to port on the surface at night in a submarine is pretty much the last thing I'd ever want to do at sea.

Except maybe shark cage diving.

One of those times was the only time I both heard the skipper call for ahead flank on the surface AND the helmsman caught a reversed rudder call and gave the skipper a polite 'say again sir?' which he caught and gave the proper call. It would have ended up turning us directly into a supersized container ship.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It might be best if you limited greatly what you write about the incident here. Never know where a JAG investigation will go.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't want some jackass to take something you write and twist it into bullshit that gets someone into trouble. You did a great job saving the ship.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That has to make whomever does the birthing roster have a major headache. Seniority + quals + dick sucking points + combat needs? Jesus.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A.o.D. posted:

In the future, you're going to face the most difficult challenge of your life. You may meet this CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific and you will be forced to resist the overwhelming urge to slap that individual in the face with your dick. Stay strong.

lmbo

The dude should be getting a god damned LoM at minimum for this.

Also gently caress that inspector.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elendil004 posted:

Logistically speaking, if the ship is going to be out of comission for a while, will they PCS people or at least TDY them? I assume a ship being floated to the US for drydock doesn't need a full crew.

No. The crew does PMS (maintenance) that has scheduling for any time a ship goes into drydock. Along with a lot of other things like training. Some of the crew can go TDY (temp duty) to other ships for things like a deployment if they are not needed at all (unlikely) or need it for qualifications (very likely). The Navy puts people to work. Sometimes poorly but it finds a use for everyone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Hawaii shipyard. NO KA OI!

Those guys were slow as balls.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It boils down to budget and how badly the rest of the hull is damaged I would guess. With how big a hardon they have for getting LCS poo poo they might just scrap her.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
lmbo if your nuke department on a sub isn't all a bunch of drunks who come in still drunk to do startup

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Let me tell you about our good friend the high pressure air system....

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Sounds like they want to throw out all your old poo poo and set a new baseline so they are not responsible for the damage you've had so far.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What about if your job was listening to white noise for hours at a time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So Seabees ever actually, like, build

My grandpa was a seabee in ww2 at Guadalcanal.

They had him do stevedore work unloading the ships.

He was an experienced framer as a civ before and thought he would be doing that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Actually surprised. The military used to be a lot better at using civilian skills. Like, my father in law was drafted in Vietnam and when the draft board saw that he was a chemist, they put him in Chem Corps and he spent his enlistment in Maryland assisting in crimes against humanity.

Well the seabees did do a ton of actual building work in ww2. But at the time the island had a metric assload of ships that needed to be unloaded with cranes and no one had large equipment experience. Grandpa had been in the new deal work camps in the depression and was like gently caress it I'll give it a try. He turned out to be good at it so they had him running a crane.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You would think that with 10+ years of PNA points you might get E-5 out of pity.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Navy just announced a program to refit all doors and scuttles to an XL size pattern.

We had a perma E-5 on my boat who was no poo poo 350+ lbs. He fit through all the sub stuff just fine. Tubbo chiefs should have no problem on skimmers!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

But how do you pass your PRT at that weight? Your belly would get in the way of doing a single push-up or sit-up.

He passed all of the physical requirements like run time, pushups, and situps but failed due to weight. Dude was just a big rear end Jamaican and one of the coolest guys on the boat. He was a QM and didn't smoke so had no need to go back aft.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

orange juche posted:

That's the way sailors are trained, because if succumb to panic when poo poo hits the fan, you will likely die. The ocean will kill the poo poo out of you if you let it.

Yeh. Drills suck dick. But when you have done them so many times at odd loving hours you remember all the bullshit you're supposed to do and just do it when something bad happens at the odd hours because thats when some bullshit always happens.

Fire in the galley at 0230 is a pretty good example. poo poo got put out in about 8 seconds when it really happened.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
TVS you don't need a dick to be a badass. You a badass.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
From what has been said it's an op tempo thing. We have had insane op tempo since we started having our dicks in every beehive and have not expanded our force to meet the demand, instead it's been increasing for a smaller and smaller force. It is a miracle we've been able to keep it up so long with so few casualties like this.

edit : the whole GoP 1000000 ship fleet thing is dumb as hell but if we are going to keep up this kind of poo poo we are going to need it

ded fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 21, 2017

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The sonar on my boat was the k-rad AN/BQQ-5E system with a dual 8086 RISC floor to overhead towers. It was like a cross between the BSY-1 system and the Q-5C, had analog comps and extra digital trackers like the BSY-1.

One of the super rad things we tested on westpac was the AFTAS system which was a unix system running on a 486 and allowed us to process BOTH the TB-16 and TB-29 towed arrays on a single system/display!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

Id almost rather leave the SWO Navy the way it is rather than turn them into a bunch of submariners.

Ya because following procedures is sure a hassle!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Every evolution on a sub goes by a checklist. There is a book that has the exact guidelines for everything from making a pb&j sandwich, flushing a toilet, and how to properly close a watertight hatch like in the sail or weapons loading hatch (main entry/exit in port). Nearly everything has oversight. If you get caught loving with the system you get right properly hosed for it.

Oh and constant drills & training. Even while on watch in sonar we practiced poo poo like TMA and memorizing screw/blade and tonals various subs put out.

The only time we did not do drills was when we were doing special stuff during westpac. And there are some skippers that even run drills during those times.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What?? No more short shorts?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Two Finger posted:

All I'm saying is if the engineers ran ships you'd never have a crash

Every skipper of a Sub has been an Engineer at some point. So thats not quite a true statement.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Null Integer posted:

Not always. Either the CO or XO had to have been an Eng for their DH tour, not just the CO or else Weps and Nav would never even bother to screen for XO.

Well ya true, but all of them have been a JO in the engine room at a bare minimum.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Potato Salad posted:

I would have thought the dome would be flooded by necessity. When someone said the dome was open for repair, I naively pictured someone with dive gear cleaning gunk off hydrophones.

The implications of an open portal to an unhardened area while underwater :stonk:

The cool thing about the sonar dome being like this is that the sonar techs get to store poo poo there (with CO approval) on westpac.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's been so long I forgot about the mail buoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

God drat. Thats better than the portable air sample test.