Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Being a 30 year old corporal was bad enough, being a 40 year old 2LT sounds like a stress nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Being a 30 year old corporal was bad enough, being a 40 year old 2LT sounds like a stress nightmare

Just the amount I've aged and how I feel from 33 when I went to ocs last year and now I can only imagine going into ocs at 40 would leave someone with destroyed bones and a fractured body/soul.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Wizard posted:

mustang.txt

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Wasn't he like fresh out of college around 24 when he started his military career?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Idk pretend I posted the TL comic of the aging 2LT.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wasabi the J posted:

Idk pretend I posted the TL comic of the aging 2LT.

its still my favorite, along with the omlette one

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Nice and hot piss posted:

Wasn't he like fresh out of college around 24 when he started his military career?

Yeah and he’s like 50 now

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone here ever been stationed to Yuma? Where is a good place to live there?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
On base.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Or in Big Bear and make the commute like the dude that runs the rail head there does.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is 42 for OCS real or a goof

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hekk posted:

Or in Big Bear and make the commute like the dude that runs the rail head there does.

The Big Bear in CA that's 4 hours away?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PeterCat posted:

The Big Bear in CA that's 4 hours away?

Yeah sorry I got Yuma and Barstow mixed up. It’s still really far from Barstow too.

To add some actual content, I know folks that were stationed on Yuma who said the base housing was good. The local housing wasn’t all that good and BAH rates sucked for the area. I spent 7 years in 29 Palms but we had Yucca Valley to get us halfway to Palm Springs and pretend we weren’t surrounded by meth labs and desert yetis.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 7, 2020

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

29 is still home to me

Yes, I have the brokebrains, why do you ask?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PathAsc posted:

29 is still home to me

Yes, I have the brokebrains, why do you ask?

I was in Camp Talega back in 2006 for iloc and lo! the rear end mites

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 7, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Hekk posted:

Yeah sorry I got Yuma and Barstow mixed up. It’s still really far from Barstow too.

To add some actual content, I know folks that were stationed on Yuma who said the base housing was good. The local housing wasn’t all that good and BAH rates sucked for the area. I spent 7 years in 29 Palms but we had Yucca Valley to get us halfway to Palm Springs and pretend we weren’t surrounded by meth labs and desert yetis.

Thanks!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I wasn’t kidding about on base. When I was there for the WTI poo poo in 2009 a buddy of mine from oki was there in on base housing and it was pretty good.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just a reminder that 3/6 still ain't found them missing rifles lol

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That’s okay, judging by social media 2/7 is trying to put-stupid them by canceling the entire bn’s block leave and having 7-man duties every night because two boots got into a fight.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Oki Marines, I think 3/3, are getting screwed over as well.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh look, all the reasons that made the good times dim to unobservable.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Apparently 2019 was one of the worst suicide years of all time, despite the massive reduction in combat deployments. Wonder what they’ll blame for it next.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Internet Wizard posted:

Apparently 2019 was one of the worst suicide years of all time, despite the massive reduction in combat deployments. Wonder what they’ll blame for it next.

Obviously not the leadership, because that would mean they'd have to admit they're hosed up and stupid and try to fix their fratricidal shitbaggery, ring knocking fucknuttery and the fact that we haven't won a war in 75 goddamn years.

Because it's always the men who are wrong, and therefore need to be punished, not the toxic fuckbags at the top who can't be sued or jailed. or easily fragged outside certain circumstances

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The non-toxic, intelligent, and forward-thinking culture is obviously not at fault here.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 8, 2020

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

Is 42 for OCS real or a goof

for real, but I can only imagine doesn't apply to everyone. I am pretty sure that the marines want to see more candidates at higher ranks within active/reserve categories. I had three staff sergeants and a gunny all in my platoon, and have heard about a couple people over the age of 35 that had to claw their way into getting an age waiver even though "35" was the absolute cutoff a few years ago. I'm sure it opens up the door for a few people within the ranks that want to go but couldn't just due to sheer age restrictions.

That or the marines are hurting so bad for officers that literally they'll take any middle aged dude in his late 30's who googled "dragon slaying dress blues marine" on youtube and wants to commission.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Internet Wizard posted:

you can't handle the truth

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nice and hot piss posted:

for real, but I can only imagine doesn't apply to everyone. I am pretty sure that the marines want to see more candidates at higher ranks within active/reserve categories. I had three staff sergeants and a gunny all in my platoon, and have heard about a couple people over the age of 35 that had to claw their way into getting an age waiver even though "35" was the absolute cutoff a few years ago. I'm sure it opens up the door for a few people within the ranks that want to go but couldn't just due to sheer age restrictions.

That or the marines are hurting so bad for officers that literally they'll take any middle aged dude in his late 30's who googled "dragon slaying dress blues marine" on youtube and wants to commission.

I'm a former PO2 that ended up in the Navy because I joined at 31 post drawdown and that was all that was open to me and can still hack it physically so I might have the kind of background and be the sort of loving idiot who they're looking for in that case! Thank you for the confirm.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Internet Wizard posted:

That’s okay, judging by social media 2/7 is trying to put-stupid them by canceling the entire bn’s block leave and having 7-man duties every night because two boots got into a fight.

By no means do I think the response is justified but it was more than two boots fighting. It’s one maybe two marines on feeding tubes after getting assaulted. Possibly racially motivated. The culmination of some serious stuff that’s been going on in the unit. Again, I do not think the response is correct, its probably going to make it worse in my opinion, but don’t believe everything you see on memes or on marine times/task&purpose. I’m on stumps though I am not in the regiment.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

FastestGunAlive posted:

By no means do I think the response is justified but it was more than two boots fighting. It’s one maybe two marines on feeding tubes after getting assaulted. Possibly racially motivated. The culmination of some serious stuff that’s been going on in the unit. Again, I do not think the response is correct, its probably going to make it worse in my opinion, but don’t believe everything you see on memes or on marine times/task&purpose. I’m on stumps though I am not in the regiment.

You wanna do something about the lovely culture that makes this poo poo happen you have to start at the top and work your way down. The kind of rear end in a top hat who makes things this bad always insulates themselves and hides behind rank. If you're having no poo poo race riots you need to relieve the entire chain and charge all of them.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea. I’m taking both sides of the story that I’ve heard with several grains of salt right now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

it seems that once again the bottom 10% of grunts make being in the marines unbearable

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol I wonder what the procedure would be for me to go back into the Marines if I went into the Army afterwards. I don't think they'll take me back.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

lol I wonder what the procedure would be for me to go back into the Marines if I went into the Army afterwards. I don't think they'll take me back.

time in service counts but not any rank. Also you might have to attend bootcamp again

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah man haven’t you heard? Once a Marine always a Marine.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

PookBear posted:

time in service counts but not any rank. Also you might have to attend bootcamp again

I wonder what that would be like if some 30 ish year old rolled into boot, who had previously been to boot camp like the same years that the DI's went

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Do you have to redo boot camp after a certain amount of broken time?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Do you have to redo boot camp after a certain amount of broken time?

I think if its over 10 years

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I've never understood marines wanting to intentionally wear lovely white cotton socks. Just wear wool socks.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Wool socks were invented by fascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just remembering the time I was at Sergeants Course at 29 Palms, and coming back from drill practice (with rubber rifles) some boot MP stopped us and proceeded to draw on us because of our car full of fake guns. Very fun. The sergeant who came out cleared us said he would haze the poo poo out of that kid later, and now I’m thinking that would really solve most problems with police violence at regular departments.