Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

hypnophant posted:

Monterey is nice

Honolulu's not bad either

There are a few exceptions, most of which are OCONUS or which house non-combat brigades or commands in nice areas like San Antonio or DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm getting ready to put in a compassionate reassignment to go back to Hawaii due to my meth head sister in law having all her kids taken away by CWS last year and about to get her parental rights terminated because she keeps going back to jail. They're about to be placed permanently with a family so my wife and I are trying to go back and take custody of them. Watch me end up in Korea or something.

Anyone ever done one or worked in the compassionate reassignment part of HRC? I talked to my branch manager and he had no information for me besides "push it up your chain of command".

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

psydude posted:

I've noticed this thing where a lot of former military have this idea that places near military bases are nice. "Colorado Springs is nice! Fayetteville is nice! Jacksonville is nice!"

None of the above is true. gently caress military towns.

Tacoma and Olympia aren't bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
My job means I used to go TDY to Navy or Marine bases all the time. Sure, there are still lovely pawn shops and shady strip clubs, and awful tattoo parlors everywhere, but walking out onto the beach every loving day must be nice.

I even got lucky in that all my Air Force base TDY's were either on the coast with chill-as-gently caress ANG units or to Vegas.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I managed to have a good time in Korea but maybe that's because I was attached there for three months, civilian clothes every day, and the commander would sign a curfew pass for any weekend you cared to ask for one. Also I was in a pretty big city with the bars a five minute, $3 cab ride away

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hypnophant posted:

I managed to have a good time in Korea but maybe that's because I was attached there for three months, civilian clothes every day, and the commander would sign a curfew pass for any weekend you cared to ask for one. Also I was in a pretty big city with the bars a five minute, $3 cab ride away

Korea is so hit and miss, it seems (have not been, but am at extreme risk to be sent there sooner than later, woooo..............)

My wife has a cousin who loved it because his number 1 and 2 past-times are hiking in mountainous lovely terrain and visiting weird cultural sites and he did both in spades.

Then there's the stories of people just being stuck on a tactical site for months on end hating themselves and everyone around them and then wasting every second of spare time they have sucking down soju.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Korea is fun if you can experience it as far away from 2ID as possible.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Slim Pickens posted:

This was back on the first page but I still wanna say lol gently caress you sir

Big Army has already said that to me plenty of times but thanks I guess?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

Big Army has already said that to me plenty of times but thanks I guess?

Big Army leaves out the sir.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TBeats posted:

Korea is fun if you can experience it as far away from 2ID as possible.

Truth.

If you're stationed at yongsan, basically as far away from 2ID as possible, life is gonna be good.

If you're at camp Casey well at least soju is cheap

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone ever been through Norfolk? Seems like a cool place but it's Navy so maybe it doesn't count.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Kaliber posted:

I'm getting ready to put in a compassionate reassignment to go back to Hawaii due to my meth head sister in law having all her kids taken away by CWS last year and about to get her parental rights terminated because she keeps going back to jail. They're about to be placed permanently with a family so my wife and I are trying to go back and take custody of them. Watch me end up in Korea or something.

Anyone ever done one or worked in the compassionate reassignment part of HRC? I talked to my branch manager and he had no information for me besides "push it up your chain of command".

I did a compassionate reassignment two years ago to be closer to my terminal cancer afflicted dad. I'll get some more info together when I get home, but basically I had a memo, letters from his doctors, a letter from my chaplain, and whatever the DA form for the request was. IIRC, branch doesn't handle it--I called mine and he told me it was done by "compassionate reassignment branch" instead.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Korea in the early 90s was a great place for actual MOS training as a combat engineer. War stock expiring meant near constant demo ranges, mine / antimine, combined arms, etc. I did more actual MOS work in Korea than I did in three years at Bragg, not including Sapper leader course. That's still like saying that gonorrhea is better than syphilis. These days though, everywhere is like having AIDS, gently caress you if you are in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

I live in Tacoma and love it out here. So much poo poo to do in every direction. I'm sure Lakewood is a shithole but I never do more than drive past it on I-5 so I have no idea what it's actually like.

You would have to have some sort of mental disability to be stationed at Lewis and not be able to find something fun to do in your free time.

Tinder game is also really good out here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

A Bad Poster posted:

Counter: I-5, and the fact that Lakewood is the default JBLM military community and both those towns are too far away to be military towns. Olympia is too hipster and Tacoma has more rednecks than I have ever seen in Washington. More than Graham.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

I live in Tacoma and love it out here. So much poo poo to do in every direction. I'm sure Lakewood is a shithole but I never do more than drive past it on I-5 so I have no idea what it's actually like.

You would have to have some sort of mental disability to be stationed at Lewis and not be able to find something fun to do in your free time.

Tinder game is also really good out here.

Checks out

Also your tinder game is strong because you are an officer. That's like being born white, you automatically win.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The trick with Korea is to have a makework mos (say 46 series) and get assigned to garrison duty where the weekend safety brief is "we're cool so long as you show up on-time and reasonably sober."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Everyone in Wiesbaden seemed happy as poo poo. It was odd, because I'm not used to seeing people in the Army happy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was the unlucky dude who got a good assignment but a lovely command.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Justin Tyme posted:

Anyone ever been through Norfolk? Seems like a cool place but it's Navy so maybe it doesn't count.

Norfolk is like every army town you've ever been though, except that jets fly over more frequently. Virginia Beach isn't all that great, either.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Norfolk forms a continuous urban sprawl of military industrial complex with Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads, and Newport News. Between Ft. Eustis, Langley AFB, Little Creek, Norfolk, Ft. Story, and Oceana, it's probably the biggest conglomeration of military bases on earth.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Saw this on my FB timeline.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1753106498351062&id=1380502268944822

On one hand holy poo poo im glad im out so I don't have to deal with these dumb motherfuckers.
On the other hand it would be great to see how salty soldiers are and file EO complaints against them to make them even saltier.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

psydude posted:

Norfolk forms a continuous urban sprawl of military industrial complex with Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads, and Newport News. Between Ft. Eustis, Langley AFB, Little Creek, Norfolk, Ft. Story, and Oceana, it's probably the biggest conglomeration of military bases on earth.

Ft. Story owns as a TDY/Duty Station FYI.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ace of Baes posted:

Saw this on my FB timeline.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1753106498351062&id=1380502268944822

On one hand holy poo poo im glad im out so I don't have to deal with these dumb motherfuckers.
On the other hand it would be great to see how salty soldiers are and file EO complaints against them to make them even saltier.

LOL my poor baby shouldn't serve under someone with psychological disorders

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

Ft. Story owns as a TDY/Duty Station FYI.

If only because it's basically several miles of private beach on the confluence of the Potomac and the Atlantic Ocean.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Today will be the day I start asking if anyone has the new presidential picture to put up in our buildings on the 20th.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

Today will be the day I start asking if anyone has the new presidential picture to put up in our buildings on the 20th.

I would be the guy vandalizing all of the pictures with "grab her by the pussy"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pesticide20 posted:

I would be the guy vandalizing all of the pictures with "grab her by the pussy"

SHARP and EO trainers will probably get trolled pretty hard for a few years during mandatory training.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

SHARP and EO trainers will probably get trolled pretty hard for a few years during mandatory training.

Look I can follow what you say for EO/SHARP, or I can grab them by the pussy. I have to respect my commander in chief right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Is pussy grabbing punishable under ucmj or is that just "little boy's talk" per the FLOTUS?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

psydude posted:

If only because it's basically several miles of private beach on the confluence of the Potomac and the Atlantic Ocean.

It's cool because you get to see the difference between the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean and can chose whichever you want to swim in.

And if you are a smart midnight shift MP, the shenanigans you can get away with.....

Oh yeah and the Ghost Dog.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

manchego posted:

Norfolk is like every army town you've ever been though, except that jets fly over more frequently. Virginia Beach isn't all that great, either.

Idk, seems nice enough trolling around in google street view, what sucks about it? Some of my friends back in the Army went to VB on a single soldier retreat and had a blast so it can't be all that bad.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Idk, seems nice enough trolling around in google street view, what sucks about it? Some of my friends back in the Army went to VB on a single soldier retreat and had a blast so it can't be all that bad.

Endless suburban sprawl of rentals, chain restaurants, and other poo poo you usually associate with being outside of military bases. But it's an entire peninsula of it.

Also Grover lives nearby.

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
If you're at eustis or story, living in Williamsburg is pretty nice.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Williamsburg to Eustis is pretty quick, but making that hike to Story and back every day would get loving old. Especially with the harbor tunnel there.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Never change 2CR

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/videos/10155022946663606/

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

psydude posted:

Williamsburg to Eustis is pretty quick, but making that hike to Story and back every day would get loving old. Especially with the harbor tunnel there.

Yeah seriously gently caress the HRBT

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
They say that in the Army, the curfew's mighty fine

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

They say that in the Army, the curfew's mighty fine

That's how you get a loving My Lai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is that from Korea or something?