Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

White Chocolate posted:

Back the end of the last thread, McNally please seek a lawyer if only to see what is possible for this. One of mu buddies is fighting for her BAH from basic/AIT(we've been in five years) and she got the whole RPAC section removed for not doing their jobs. That they were paid to do. And loving up Soldiers pay. They call it, "Disciplining the system."

I'll try, but I don't even know where to begin or even if I have a leg to stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

bulletsponge13 posted:

In addition, gently caress everyone who was a part of this.

Yeah gently caress you Mcnally.

This made me laugh pretty hard, well done.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bird food bathtub posted:

Then getting yelled at for not being dress right dress and using your own poo poo and SOLDIER WHY IS YOUR IFAK NOT ON THE LEFT SIDE, EVERYONE ELSE AROUND HERE IS RIGHT HANDED

In fairness, everybody's IFAK is on the same side so that whoever comes to fix you up knows where it is. You don't use your own IFAK on someone else.

Or so I was told, anyway.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'd might go back in as the pogiest of pogs for a sweet bonus, short enlistment, and no goddamned organized PT.

Not going back to combat arms, though. gently caress that noise.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

I pissed my XO off once (big surprise) with an ice cream cone.

We went to Iraq together, and his name was Dam. I am sure he had heard it all before because of this. So I got an ice cream cone and in my best Forrest Gump impression shouted in HHC.

"Hey LIEUTENANT DAM! I GOT YOU SOME ICE CREAM LT DAM! ICE CREAM!"

He laughed, and then told me if I did it again he would gently caress me up.

While we were in Iraq, our XO got promoted to 1LT. I congratulated him, paused, then said "sir, your rank is on upside down." He actually stopped to check.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Speaking of heart, I remember hearing about an Army Reservist who had a heart attack during PT and the LOD ruled that it wasn't in the line of duty and therefore he was on the hook for a bunch of medical bills.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kaliber posted:

My soldier's grandmother/adoptive mother just got out of surgery today and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I told my PSG about this on Sunday to be ready for a Red Cross message and a leave form. He didn't respond to my voicemail or txt message. Reminded him about the surgery today and just got a "So?"

So he got the word that she has terminal cancer, has weeks to a few months to live, and we get the Red Cross pushed out, I did a leave form for emergency leave, and all the TRIPs bullshit. Hand it over to him and he throws out the leave form. Because she's his grandmother and not his mother, it's not emergency leave.... Even if she did raise him. I had to explain to him that she adopted him at birth and I was told I had to bring in adoption paperwork to prove it. So now I got my Soldier who should have been on his way home already with his wife and kids searching for adoption papers or whatever because this platoon sergeant and PL was too pussy poo poo to tell the 1SG and the CO the situation. Now the PSG is holding onto the leave form for my soldier because he doesn't want him signing out at midnight and driving home because it's too dangerous and has to start his leave tomorrow morning at 0600....

gently caress the Army and all the human being rear end SNCOs and officers.

poo poo on his desk.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
We had an issue where a bunch of guys were, for whatever reason, getting into accidents going to or coming back from lunch. Word came down that if there was one more accident, they'd start requiring us to travel in groups and have at least one E6 or above with each group.

The accident that followed the announcement? My buddy was returning from lunch and a loving sinkhole opened up under his truck.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
As far as Big Army dickings go, I got off pretty light.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Pesticide20 posted:

I'd hate to see what you consider a hard dicking

I won in the end, and in a relatively short amount of time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

the dude who did it says he did it to impress chicks (Ha!) and get out of tickets.

I'll allow this as an excuse for all kinds of poo poo, tbh

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I have some retardery updates for you guys.

Back in September I sent a letter to goddamned everybody from the Secretary of Defense on down saying "Army suicide prevention is broken, Army casualty assistance is broken, DA civilians give no fucks, it's all poo poo, unfuck it."

I got a reply from one of my senators first. The letter expressed condolences and promised they'd contact the VA about my case. Uhhh, what? I contacted them and said "no, not the VA, the Army." No reply. A week later I called and said "yeah, no, Army, not VA" and got an email that said "Army, not VA, got it."

A few weeks later I got a call from the VA. "Yeah, we got a call from your senator's office but we don't know why."

So after a couple months of calling, I finally managed to talk to the case manager at my senator's office and learned a few things:

1) My case worker, for whatever reason, keeps forgetting to tell me she's still actively working on this
2) Every time my case worker contacts the Army about this, the Army says "contact the VA."

So second part of this story: In response to the copy of the letter I sent to the Secretary of the Army, I got a reply from some DA civilian who runs some resiliency program or other that was a nicely worded letter about "suicide prevention and casualty assistance are important to us" but didn't really address anything I had to say other than "we know we can always do better."

Then at the end of the letter, it goes on to thank me and SGT [NOT MY WIFE'S NAME] for our service and sacrifices.

So I reply with a strongly worded letter about how the letter I received underscores the point of "nobody gives a gently caress" I was trying to make in my letter. In response to that, I got a phone call from the executive officer to the Army G-1 saying "if you need anything, this is my phone number and e-mail address."

So to tie this all together, since he's pretty much my only POC in the Army (and XO to the G-1 isn't a bad ear to have) I sent him an email saying "every time my senator contacts the Army on this issue, some chucklefuck tells them to bother the VA instead, WTF."

What I've learned from all this, largely, is that DA civilians give absolutely no fucks whatsoever. Someone in uniform will go out of their way to help.

Which is kind of counter to my previous experience, now that I think about it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Zeris posted:

DA Civilians are basically us in real life but our job is to deal with active duty retards who hate us. It's not cool, but I get that people have their limits.

Yeah, but there's a difference between "oh, God, not another loving joe who lost his ID card" and "hmm, this person who lost their spouse less than a month ago is really angry because we've been trying to tell him he doesn't get any benefits and it turns out that's not true, I think the best thing to do now is to drag our feet and deliberately not do our jobs."

There's a difference between "God, I'm sick of dealing with these idiots" and "Boy, it sure is fun having a job whose sole function is to assist someone who just went through the unthinkable! Maybe one day I'll learn the stuff I need to know to do my job! Nah!"

There's a difference between "I'm bitter and jaded because I deal with stupidity all the time" and "I'm too bitter and jaded to do my job."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Zeris posted:

I regret making that comparison

Nah, I get what you were trying to say. I'm just, y'know, drained.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that if any of the DA civilians I had to deal with were bitter and jaded vets, poo poo would have gotten done right the first time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Triggs posted:

Day 1 of In-processing:

- I show up for personnel records review as told.
- I grab my number, sit down, and wait in the queue like everyone else. My number gets called.
- I ask hey, I already did this when I out-processed my last duty station (less than a month ago). Give me a stamp and I'll just see my S1 with an appointment. Time saved for all, right? But no, I have to do a record review because its required for in-processing.
- I'm told I'm not on 'the list' for today and that the reception company needs to put me on it. I can't/won't be seen today because I'm not on the list.
- Literally 4 people's numbers are called but they are no-shows. I ask if I can take their spot. Again, civilians tell me that I won't be seen unless I'm on their list.
- I grab an ICE comment card half jokingly on my way out to the reception company and the head OPM civilian spots it and starts getting defensive and explaining that his folks are just following the list.
- He says we've tried walk-ins before and that again, you must be on the list to be seen. "We've tried walk-ins before and it didn't work. Where do you draw the line for walk-ins?"
- I go back to the reception company. Retiring E-7 obviously didn't make sure I was on there, basically acknowledges that he hosed up, and sends an updated list to the personnel records people saying I need to be seen.
- I head back to the personnel records office and look at that, I'm on their list now. They update my SGLI and DD93 as required for processing with no issue.

TL;DR: holy red tape batman. If you want civilians to poo poo a brick just grab an ICE comment card.

An ICE comment card I filled out saying "poor service, staff didn't know their jobs, attempted to deny me benefits based on incorrect information, illegally stripped me of ID card" didn't go anywhere.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I was gonna post a YouTube link to Raspberry Beret by Prince, but all of the videos on YouTube have had the audio muted for legal reasons.

So assume that I did.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Army to require all soldiers to test for Expert Action Badge, because why not?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
War is hell, but peace is a motherfucker.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Flikken posted:

His chain saw his posts and green weenied him I think.

He was the one who banned high and tights in his company, right?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

However, I think that (in a cav context, at least) they're a happy middle ground between light and heavy

So... medium?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

CANT SMOKE A ROCK

Unless it's crack.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Icon Of Sin posted:

They came to get the wounded
But I jumped on instead

My buddy's in a foxhole
With a bullet in his knee
I went to his rucksack
And ate his MRE

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm using Tricare Prime and because I live juuuust close enough, I have to drive over an hour one-way for a 20 minute appointment on Thursday.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Not gonna lie, one of the best things I ever saw was a drill sergeant come out of loving nowhere to flying-tackle some dumbass who turned with his whole body on the range, causing his M16 to stop pointing downrange.

It was magical.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's an attempt to make the Army sound better than it used to be in an attempt to bring back guys with operational knowledge. It's a clever ploy.

Which is why I'm here to remind you of how hosed up it truly is.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

Why would anyone sharpen a saber? Historically they were not sharpened because they don't need to be. You're hitting people with them from a running horse.

Besides, it's been known for a couple centuries now that the point beats the edge.

That's why the last of the cavalry sabers were straight-bladed

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Naked Bear posted:

Perfectly reciting Fiddler's Green is the one get out of jail free card that allows you to bail your team out after they massively gently caress something up.

One of my the drill sergeants in my troop at Knox liked calling Fiddler's Green as a cadence. Can't tell you what his name was, but somehow Fiddler's Green is still in my head.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Most combat arms poo poo is dumb as gently caress but tanker tradition dictates steak and eggs after table 6 or 8 or whatever it is.

And not that bogus dfac bullshit either.

That's probably among the least worst of the military traditions.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The 249 was part of my training when I went through scout OSUT in '06, so who the gently caress knows what they're doing anymore.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mike-o posted:

I don't know if it's in bad taste or whatever due, but I feel like that's an appropriate avatar for you along with the text you already have.
If it's in bad taste, ignore me. But god drat I still can't fathom all the poo poo you've been put through.

I'm fairly certain I've actually quoted this lighter in conversations regarding my situation to at least one flag officer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

J.A.B.C. posted:

This is the Army, and I don't see F, U or N anywhere in ARMY.

lol if you think "F U" isn't a primary component in ARMY

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
In early 2010 I got a message from The Rat saying he saw a dude wearing a McNally name tag and wearing a shoulder holster at the PX at VBC earlier that day.

I told him that I was wearing a McNally name tag and a shoulder holster when I was at the PX at VBC earlier that day.

That's the story of how I almost met another goon when I was in Iraq.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Terrible Robot posted:

Almost forgot, I met Micromancer for breakfast at a Waffle-House in Bumfuck, Tennessee while driving across the country a few years ago. He's good people.

He and I were gonna do the same thing when I was driving through Bumfuck, TN, but something threw off the scheduling so I didn't get to meet him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Zeris posted:

Did you just dox yourself

o poo poo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I bet the future removal of skill badges and identifiers won't include the ranger tab. They'd have a riot.

Yeah, but they're gonna have to start somewhere. Maybe with combat patches, but it probably won't happen.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

Wait, the sentencing didn't include a dishonorable discharge?

Based on something I read, Manning gets to stay in (without pay) while the appeals process is happening.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
http://terminallance.com/2012/10/05/terminal-lance-229-she-dont-rate/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My old Guard unit is at the NTC right now. Started seeing some vague Facebook posts about "I'm safe" and poo poo.

Then someone posted a news article. One dead and three injured at NTC.

Nobody I know, but gently caress.

Edit: Oh, hey. You with 155 BCT?