Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So a good friend of mine is looking at commissioning into either the Army or Air Guard. I’m a Lt in the Air Guard, so I’ve been talking that up. But it’s been amazing the difference in how the recruiters do their job. He’s had a tough time getting in touch with Air Guard recruiters in the different New England states, while the Army recruiter was trying to get him into the office that afternoon.

I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle, especially because of how hard it is for a civilian to get an officer slot in the Air Guard, but I’m trying my best. I feel like I should just get him an account and tell him to read this thread. Probably won’t help though.

Also, we’re both in our early 30’s. At least I had 7 years prior service before I commissioned. He’d be a 33-34 year old 2nd Lt. I don’t envy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nice and hot piss posted:

Being a 2LT in the guard/reserves actually seems like a pretty cake gig in general. I can only assume it requires a bit more "off the clock" work throughout the month rather than just the scheduled weekend warrior poo poo... But both of the LT's I had in my cav scout platoon pretty much were in "meetings" or doing some planning poo poo and never seemed to be in the realm of training that we were, which usually meant they weren't tired by the end of the weekend.

I dunno, seems like an easy way to make some money and work towards that guard retirement pay.

I’m a civil engineer officer, and my two years as a 2d Lt was probably the most fun I’ve had between AD/Guard. I’d spend most drill weekends attending a few weekends, and then hanging out with all the shops, learning what their jobs entailed. I was usually on my own or with the other CGO’s in my squadron, with little to no oversight over what we did.

I managed to get picked to lead a team of about a dozen guys down to PR for a month last fall for hurricane response as a 2d Lt, and that really opened my eyes to how much better quality of life is for us over the Army. We had our own Air Force tent in a tent city of about 300 soldiers. The army Lt Col in charge didn’t give a poo poo about us, and allowed me to make whatever rules I wanted for my guys.

Army locked on camp, not allowed to drink, and in uniform 24/7? Cool, my guys can drink, wear civilian clothes after 3ish, and take one of our rental cars to sightsee when they didn’t have work to do. As long as we kept the generators working and AC blowing, the Army liked us.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So what’s the deal with the army’s direct commission for cyber officers program? A civilian buddy of mine just shared his interest with me, and is talking with a recruiter soon for info. What’s the catch (besides joining the army, of course)?

Because of the 6-week short OCS, are they on the same level chaplains/lawyers/doctors, and immune to some of the typical army BS? He’s looking at the reserves as well, even though that hasn’t official been rolled out yet, only active duty.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Trying to help out a coworker who’s in the Marine Reserves who’s unit seems to really suck.

She’s going on 6 month CONUS orders later this year, and is worried that her E-4 base pay will be a big pay cut, especially with a mortgage (it will be, she’s an engineer). I know with the Air Force, she’d obviously get base pay, BAS, and BAH on top of lodging and M&IE rates for the locality automatically. Is this a standard DOD thing, or is it branch specific?

She thought she heard that she wouldn’t get BAH because she’d be getting paid for lodging in her TDY spot, which sounds absurd, but her chain isn’t really answering her questions. BAH is an entitlement, right?

Just trying to make sure she’s not getting hosed over here.

I’m also trying to get her to commission into the Air Guard, because if you’re going to be doing one weekend a month in uniform, it’s way better to be an O in the Air Guard than a junior enlisted in the USMCR

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Cool, thanks for the help. I figured it’s all the same between branches considering it’s governed by the JTR, but I’ve gotten used to nice things in the AF, and wasn’t sure if this was another instance of the USMC eating their own.

Sucks for her, because it’s not even a cool TDY. She’s going to like Jacksonville or somewhere to do admin stuff or something. Another instance of never letting your command know you’re good at stuff I guess.