Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hi I'm a civilian w a friend in the army and I lurked the last thread and every time there was a post about something stupid in the army I told them about it and I think they're thoroughly convinced to gtfo and not re-up. Thanks army thread. Tharmy.

Doing God's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

So....Fort Meade. Anyone been there, know anything about living in the area? I might be taking a filthy civvie contractor job there, but i have no idea what the area is like. Never got stationed there.

I just spent 3 years at Meade. Meade is essentially the middle point where the urban sprawl from Baltimore meets the urban sprawl from DC. It breaks 100* in the middle of May, traffic is god awful, and the cost of living is insane. PM me if you have any specific questions, but I took a civilian IT job instead of a clearance intel job just to get out of the DC metro.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

Just got yet another deep dicking by the green weenie this morning.

One of my friends who got out in 2012 just got a letter saying he owes the army 3k in tuition assistance from 2009. To contest it he should go through his chain of command!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Delizin posted:

I have a very good friend that works as a mid level software developer for Amazon and loves his job for the most part. If you're a low level employee or temp worker stuck in a warehouse then your job is probably going to suck no matter where you work. In the better positions, Amazon is fairly comparable to most other tech companies in quality of life and benefits.

Amazon web services is essentially a completely different company from amazon the website that sells things. I've heard great things about AWS, but nothing but terrible about amazon itself.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Get a $200 hitch and a $300 harbor freight trailer. Works good enough. It's not a real truck, but you also don't get truck gas mileage the other 99% of the time, and friends don't ask for help moving their poo poo.

I tried to buy one this month, but apparently HF doesn't sell them anymore. Something about the tires/wheels not meeting government standards or something.