Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

As the self proclaimed leader of the marine corpse forces here in GIP, I happily accept this Army hand-me-down thread and will endeavor to treat it with the same amount of respect Marines give to minorities and transgendered Filipino prostitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

It's unfortunate SNCO institutional knowledge doesn't pass stuff like this down as "Wow that's hosed don't do this" but rather reinforces for the kind of person who stays in for that it is cool and good to do this insane poo poo

"Be the change you want to see."

Actually, I retire in less than two years, I don't really care anymore.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I accepted a long time ago that the only things I could change were what fell under my umbrella of influence. As I picked up more rank, my umbrella got bigger and what I could change affected more people. In the grand scheme of things my contributions are absolutely insignificant. But they aren't insignificant to the dozens of people who've contacted me over the years to say how much they appreciated how much I did to make their time in less lovely.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Do these racks have space for my CPAP machine?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PenisMonkey posted:

Have we discontinued using the Osprey?

no

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PenisMonkey posted:

Rip marines then

Yeah I watched three die off the coast of Australia when they crashed into our ship.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nmfree posted:

Gotta defeat the dragon before you tame it!

Are we still talking about marijuana?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You might actually sell some to Marines if they said Mattis on them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Carteret posted:

*sleeps on a creeper with my arms wrapped around the front axle of an M998*

I am going to sleep directly under an MTVR and not tell anyone so when they move it after dark I get run over and make everyone else have to use flashlights at night during training.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PenisMonkey posted:

My corps gave me a whole half day off when I got 3 out of 4 wisdom teeth pulled in boot camp. And then for some reason they decided to take out the last one four years later and I got another half day off. That equals one sick day per five years. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out on ship while underway at 36. I had to hold onto the light for the dentist because the ship rocking kept moving it back and forth. It felt like the sketchiest Tijuana back alley operation I'd ever seen. Also took me two weeks to recover from because I am old and they cut my jaw muscles all up to get to the bottom roots.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I spent three years assigned to an amphib. Our last visit to Australia we had an Osprey crash into our flight deck and roll into the ocean. We pulled everyone out of the drink except 3. The pilot, one of the crew chiefs, and the most junior artilleryman in the battery. The Marines were pretending to do embassy reinforcement and were on their way back.

I stood out on the flight deck and watched several thousand aircraft land in those three years. Conditions couldn't have been any more perfect for flight and to this day I still don't know why it crashed.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah caused by the last jump but that was year and two months ago.

Good luck you dumb bastard.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, my grandfather just passed away. He had a stroke a few weeks ago, was recovering up until this morning, and then fainted. Blood pressure dropped, organs started failing, and he slipped into a coma. He passed about an hour ago.

Had to head back into the office to sign some hand receipts, 1SG and Commander see me, ask me if I'm alright. Tell me I'm still going to JRTC, which I expected. 1SG then says that when he first heard me talk about this, he thought it was some sort of ploy to get out of it.

My 1SG thinks, or thought, that I faked my grandfather's death to get out of a month-long rotation. To get out of two measly weeks in the box. As if I haven't spent years deployed away from my family, or as if I wasn't able to take emergency leave when by brother-in-law died, or as if I haven't already deployed with this unit before. And now two weeks is what I fake the death of my family for. Two weeks.

loving AAA+ Leadership right there!

Immediate family ( SPOUSE, mother, father, brother, sister, son, or daughter) are the only family that commanders MUST allow a service member emergency leave for (at least in the Marine Corps). However, the vast majority of the time accommodations are made for the grieving service member because the hit to unit morale otherwise is usually pretty severe. It seems silly that you wouldn't be able to go to the funeral and meet up with everyone afterwards. I would have just had you pack your poo poo and have it sent out with your platoon sergeant or whoever and had you meet your gear in the field.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 24, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PenisMonkey posted:

I think spouse is also in that list.

Yeah of course. Sorry I missed that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PenisMonkey posted:

We heard your cars have oil in them and we’re here to liberate it

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh poo poo time to do some sick sons of anarchy dad cosplay

Leather USMC vest? Check
Ape hanger handlebars? Check
Wide rear end saddle bags? Check
lovely blown out speakers blaring generic rock? Check

Time to rev my engine to the max and act like the other cars are intentionally blocking me when I cant lanesplit all the way to the stoplight because my abomination of a motorcycle wont fit between the cars.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PathAsc posted:

The MSF course was cool because I watched a dude bring his new cruiser and scrape the goddamn hell out of his chrome bars on the bottom trying to do the figure 8 lol

I took the MSF Basic Riders course through a Harley dealership while on PCS leave coming from overseas. I wouldn't have normally used the Harley store but the state run courses wouldn't guarantee me a seat far enough out for me to plan my trip around.

I had ridden motorcycles a decade before but realized I was far too stupid to own a bike in my mid 20s. I went into the course thinking it'd be a check in the box for me to register the bike on base. Turns out it is a good course and I took a lot away from it.

Maybe it was being the only man in the class but it felt like the students were all open to learning and the instructor explained everything until we all understood. We got a ton of riding in and they provided lovely beatup harleys to use so no one had to worry about dropping their own bikes. I came away a lot more confident in my low speed maneuverability which I put to use every day in SoCal traffic.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 5, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My favorite Ural video.

https://youtu.be/IujNak_8hKg

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

builds character posted:

I don't know which one of these videos is the right one for this thread, but one of them must be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiRnSy69GrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VK0TkGKeXE

e: ty and god bless

Definitely the second video

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DaNerd posted:

They told me they're going to approve it any time so go ahead and buy your tickets.

Yeah you should be good. No way buying tickets ahead of time could backfire.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bird food bathtub posted:

So hey, when are we shipping out? I got important stuff I need to take care of like apartment lease, when to put my vehicle in storage. If we get zero notice and everything is done last minute with no warning it's going to be a cluster gently caress.

Nahh it's fine. The Company Gunny with just inventory everything and make sure it gets securely stored while you are on deployment.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wasabi the J posted:

poo poo come to Vegas baby it's everywhere.

Also I accidentally got routed to this page a year ago from the army thread and forgot that it's Marines in this barracks now.

We always get hand me down Army poo poo that the Navy buys at auction and we pretend it's new since it's "New to us".

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Most of the regular Marine posters are dead or they stopped visiting SA.

Those of us that are still around aren't as clever or funny, so the thread gets neglected.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Farrier Theaks posted:

Would you rather invade Iraq to Bodies by Drowning Pool or yeet some Afghani into the bushes to thank u, next by ariana grande? 🤔

Any true Tun Tavern tested Warrior from the Sea would know that AFGHANI is the Afghan currency!!!!!1!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

https://terminallance.com/2014/11/21/terminal-lance-355-police-your-own/

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PathAsc posted:

I married a stripper by proxy while on tour, I need wic and can't afford my mustang. How do I disown the child but not get a divorce

Good thing our current administration's stance on WIC and SNAP is that you get paid enough and can't possibly need any supplementation.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

This thread is still alive and totally relevant.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I can't wait to be 70 years old so I can scream "Semper Fi Do or Die Motherfucker!!" at a traffic light.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 22, 2019

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

12 months until terminal leave. I need to find out if I can carry more than sixty days of leave across fiscal year once I drop retirement papers. If not, it’ll be 13 months until terminal.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Hekk, your county Vet office will submit your VA claim as well (iirc, you're in socal with me). Usually though they're booked months in advance, so maybe set that up. Don't be like me and wait 18 years to file.

Yeah I need to start getting all of my poo poo together. Right after the new year I plan on starting all my paperwork to setup my TAPs class and final physical. I will look at filing the VA claim in advance. This is all so foreign that I have no idea what I am doing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hey! This thread isn't dead yet and I am slowly marching towards my inevitable retirement. I've been camping in the Navy thread since I think I am the last one left in. Feel free to post your dumb jarhead stories so we can all laugh at how dumb we are.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

That's not even a thing you just can't wear shower shoes

I started to write out a uniform regs post but it hurts me too much to continue. I will just say that for a long period of time the uniform regs prohibited athletic shorts anywhere except physical training. They also removed the "no flip flops even if they aren't shower shoes" thing that even though wasn't part of the uniform regulations, was included in most base orders.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Internet Wizard posted:

Does 29 Palms still have the base reg that says that not even civilians are allowed to wear yoga to the PX? The community page was filled with dependas raging about that pretty consistently

What does your heart tell you?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nice and hot piss posted:

When I was in OCS one of my Sergeant Instructors had a tough time reading, like maybe a 5th grade reading level and watching him stumble with any words more then two syllables was rough on the captivated audience.

rah

You just described half of the Marine Corps.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SimonCat posted:

Edit: Sorry, meant for Army thread.

I got excited thinking someone was talking in here again.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PathAsc posted:

I had a weak moment and missed the Corps for a second yesterday.

Then I almost poo poo my pants in a dollar general parking lot. It reminded me of Kuwait and the first two weeks in Iraq or waking up early to run for no good reason and having beer shits back in the swoops in 29.

Lol, I'm good again

I remember Mattis giving us his speech before the invasion which was basically “ Look left, look right, one in three of you will be dead or wounded in the next 72 hours. Make peace with that now and this’ll be a lot more fun. Now let’s go kill the enemy.”

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am going to spend my final clothing allowance on non military clothing so when i retire I don’t look like a shop at the PX anymore.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

https://twitter.com/CMC_MarineCorps/status/1252640144072548364?s=20

First time in 19 years I’ve seen this happen.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah that poo poo is pretty crazy to think about. I guess some people just have a burning desire to do batshit crazy stuff and somehow come through on the other end of it. Also With the Old Breed is a great book for anyone who hasn't checked it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Get him a few pairs of THESE socks but don't let him take them with him until after Boot Camp.