Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TBeats posted:

I was suicidal and told my section leader that I was getting more and more angry and depressed every single day and his response was "it's Korea, we are all angry and depressed."

He was right though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

And a rich history of slaughtering native Americans

We get it. You like the Cav. Quit being so obvious.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

So, I haven't been assigned a unit yet when I checked my AKO and we got a dumb brief on how we select preferences in AKO if we haven't gotten an assignment yet.

My wife wants Italy. I have Airborne in mu contract, so that leads me to believe that my only end-points with UNAB-contract is basically Bragg, Viscenza, or some Alaskan shithole.

There is no Italy on the OCONUS preference list. I sure as gently caress don't want Alaska, so I tried getting Bragg on the CONUS list, but since there are no other airborne options, I left two other boxes "no preference." Then the system told me that I have to select something.

Out of assignmebt checkboxes, "airborne volunteer" was prechecked, but "airborne duty preferred" was not. Should I check that box?

I am now dumber.

Is there a way to somehow prefer Italy over other options, and should I bother with this stuff, and if so, how?

It doesn't matter. I'm in charge of putting people places and can assure you that we bring in one of those party ticket machines, with names in it, up to the 4 star's office and full bird colonels grab whatever they can for their brigades.

This is a representation of what it looks like:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

Demoted back down to LTC after 3 months for forging his APFT's for almost 3 years. gently caress that fat gently caress who had to get goddamn liposuction because all his NCO and a few of his officers filed IG complaint after IG complaint about him being an overweight piece of poo poo who never ever took an APFT.

He must have been a huge rear end in a top hat.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cravius posted:

Looks like I'm going to ranger school, gently caress me I guess

Good for you. Just remember: the cadre do not feel any compunction about letting you march 10 miles in the wrong direction so check your coords/asmuth and have your buddy check them too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Dudes. I dropped my UQR today after getting into a few top 15 grad schools. Got a mixture of "nothing but unemployment for miles" and "take me with you." This was the first day I've been truely happy about the future in awhile. Six month countdown starts now.

Life is pretty rad.

God bless you. I'm at 9 months and counting.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Aranan posted:

Wish me luck, I'm about to have an army surgeon give me a new face. I'm sure nothing will go wrong, right?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

can't wait for Mustang to be made the scapegoat for his soldier's dying in Iran because of some *insert ARBITRARY BULLSHIT LIKE WEARING KNEEPADS*

Seriously.

Every casualty report must include the status of all the PPE the Soldier was wearing/not wearing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

Well if you were in between 1991 and 1998 it apparently entitles you to talk about how pussified our military has gotten over the last 16 years and how Donald Trump is going to make it great again. So that's something.

Uh, I joined then. Stress cards were the thing back then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Carteret posted:

Stress cards have been the poo poo the cycle after yours got since probably the civil war, it seems.

Things were pretty easy in the 90's army I thought.

Although it was funny to see all the poo poo talkers suddenly develop surprise illnesses when 9/11 happened and the war(s) kicked off.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Worst nightmare. Low-intensity conflict and insurgency I can handle, but being soaked in a chemical environment? gently caress. No. Anything at all goes wrong and you're dying a horrible death.

I take it you saw the videos with the rabbits and goats?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Direct commision folks go through OCS in their own special company but live in the same barracks. While the candidates more or less live in an almost basic training environment the direct commision folks are already officers, wear civies after 1700 or whenever their day ends and hang out outside on their cell phones and get to eat at the DFAC like normal people.

They looked ridiculous the few times they actually did 'real' army training. They looked like they were about to die after rucking like 4 miles.

edit: also overheard a group of them being excited about getting to try MREs for the first time the next day for their one day out in the field or whatever

Are you talking about OCS, or OBC? Because direct commissions don't go through OCS. I just direct commissioned an E-7 (it took a stupid 8 months to get the dumb paperwork done) and all he's got to do is go to OBC and get back to the unit to start doing officer "work".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

OCS. It just changed then because I definitely had a direct commision company in class while I was going through. I mean maybe they call it OBC or something but it's part of 3-11 IN, the OCS BN and housed in the same barracks.

Why are they going to Officer Candidate School if they've already commissioned? If they're going to send them, why even direct commission?

The E-7 I direct commissioned already had a degree and met all the requirements so it was just a paper signing (that took 8 months) to get him his gold bar.

Now he's just got to go to OBC (Officer Basic Course, I think the term is BOLC now) and that's just for DMOSQ.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

It's to teach the direct commision people the basics of being in the Army without sending them through BCT. The E-7 you're talking about obviously doesn't need to go because he's been in the Army for a while.

They aren't officer candidates, they're already LTs and CPTs.

Oh, so they're like nurses and stuff? My wife got offered CPT by a medical recruiter a couple months ago. I slapped the phone out of her hand.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I would think that the IRR, like the National Guard, is completely different from what it was pre-9/11. I've actually been in schools, and deployments, with several IRR guys. So I'd assume they'd have I.D.'s and access just like everyone else.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Carteret posted:

I got my tax return all year round. Everything considered, I owe like 70 bucks to the fed.

This is very good. It means you didn't give them a free loan. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

80s James Hetfield posted:

I want to re-enlist just to actively post in this thread. Active Army 2000-2004, 95B hell yeah.

I would love to just shadow a company for a week just to see what it's like vs. 13 years ago

There are no 95B's anymore. It's been "updated" to 31 series now. :smuggo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean the exchanges can have some legit good deals. I bought a 15" Macbook Pro at the Navy Exchange this Christmas and saved over $500 off the normal price and got another $80 in rewards for the purchase. Although the online stores for the exchanges are going to be open to veterans now, so tax free electronics at good prices. :toot:

Moot point though now, it turns out that I have no IRR obligation remaining so as of the effective date of my separation orders, I am 100% out of the military. As much as I don't like the idiocy and bureaucracy of the military, it's such a defining part of your life that it's sort of difficult to just walk away completely.

Your HR officer could fix that "no IRR" thing in a jiffy if you want.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

Hmm, how so?

By amending your discharge to transfer you to the IRR. You'll probably need to do a letter requesting it.

I don't know what you're rank is, or what level of command you are at, but it isn't terribly difficult.

First step is talking to your HR person about it.

*edit* And then get smart on the IRR retirement. You can still get a 20 year retirement from the IRR.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 18, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I was told an IRR transfer isn't possible because I have no time remaining on my contract; this came from my state's G1. I'm mid level M-Day enlisted in the ARNG, so it's not like I can just walk 100 miles to S1 and have them figure it out and even then, I have doubts about people taking the effort to actually do anything to assist at this point. That was sort of my idea if I did the IRR route, finding the easiest way possible to get a good year.

On the other hand, I'm almost done with my degree so trying to do similar work as a civilian government employee is realistically probably a better course of action than keeping the door open on further military service.

You don't really have to walk 100 miles anymore. Computers and phones are everywhere these days.

If you're mid-lvl surely you have some fulltimer friends with a 42 series job? I'm not being facetious, I was a BDE S-1 many years ago and helped process these things often. You might also try talking to your closest reserve component unit as they'll know a lot more about it.

Getting good years in the IRR is fairly simple as you'll be assigned to a reserve unit of some type and you can call them whenever you've got some time off and see what types of duty they have available for you. My buddy got assigned to some training regiment and he'll call them up twice a year and get sent off to help run some kind of training site for a few weeks at a time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

What happens when you retire in the IRR? Pensions?

It's similar to the other reserve retirements. You need 50 points for a good year. You get 15 points automatically just for being in, then 1 point for every day of duty, 2 points for official drill days.

Once you obtain 20 good years you can retire, get the retired I.D. card, Tricare retired, etc. But you don't draw your pension until 60 (minus any deployed time, for every 90 days deployed they take 90 days off of 60 post 2008).

If you've got active duty years those count towards the retirement and you get 365 points for each of those years.

There is a multiplier for your points (as in a $$ multiplier) so you when you retire you just multiply your points by the $$ multiplier to know how much your pension will be. (the $$ multiplier is based on rank, an E-9 will get a better multiplier than an E-7)

There is a retired reserve that I recommend reserve folks who've retired get into. If you do you get cost of living increases whenever they get approved and when you do reach 60 your check will be higher. If you choose not to enter the retired reserve your check will be exactly what it was 20 years ago when you retired.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know why this is. (institutes a zero defect policy) :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAlphaChaser posted:

100% agree. And while the blame lies somewhere in the middle it won't stop being a problem until echelon's at DIV and higher start removing requirements rather than adding. And that will probably happen around the same time we have a PT program that makes sense.

Objective T will fix that. (not really, but it's a start)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Steezo posted:

I have met, in the army, people who were terrified of having to fire their weapon because of the loving overcomplex ROE and leadership later in the war meant they're hosed no matter what.

I deployed to Iraq in 2003 and again in 2010. The difference made me :stonk:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I wonder what it was like in the Army before cell phones. While they're a great tool it's really loving irritating how it easily enables higher to micromanage everyone below them.

I was in then. Hell, I was in before email was a thing (and am still in because I'm dumb).

When you got off work and left you disappeared. Literally. Everyone had a home phone, but you could just ignore it and the person calling would have to assume you were not at home and out doing whatever.

If you were a real important big dog you might tell the CQ ,or whatever, that you'd be at a certain bar and they could try and call there to get you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mike-o posted:

I never used it for work somehow.

When we all started getting those first cell phones nobody had really changed over to asking for people's home AND cell phone. There was always just one place for a number and everyone just put in their home number.

Also reception was terrible back then so you wanted the home number anyway.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

Check if your AIT has some sort of agreement with a local educational institution.

This. It's how I got my first master's degree cheap and easy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

benem posted:

CSMs and PLs actually have pretty similar roles - they are both entirely unnecessary to their organization's mission, but are told by both themselves and the army that they are REAL IMPORTANT motherfuckers. Thus, they typically spin their wheels and kick up pointless poo poo everywhere in an attempt to justify their presence.

And both the best PLs and best CSMs can be distinguished by having enough self-awareness to realize their existence is a charade, that they can stay out of the way 90% of the time, and that they can best serve their organizations by being a chill and approachable sounding board for problems.

(Full disclosure - I was *not* a good PL 😟. Sorry, platoon bros.)

Well, PL's are there to get experience so that they can make it as commanders later in military life.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MurderBot posted:

Im going to join the army and make a difference guys.

All troops will have a minimum of 3 negative counseling statements and 1 article 15 under my command.

Discipline ya'unndastand that?

Anybody ever gotten a positive counseling? I hear commander's say that they're possible, but I ain't never seen one.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Woof Blitzer posted:

Think of the benefits, like:

and such as

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Tell me about your dead friend when we are swapping fun stories and I won't hang out with you anymore.

4 realz. Go drink alone like a normal person.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

My soldier's grandmother/adoptive mother just got out of surgery today and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I told my PSG about this on Sunday to be ready for a Red Cross message and a leave form. He didn't respond to my voicemail or txt message. Reminded him about the surgery today and just got a "So?"

So he got the word that she has terminal cancer, has weeks to a few months to live, and we get the Red Cross pushed out, I did a leave form for emergency leave, and all the TRIPs bullshit. Hand it over to him and he throws out the leave form. Because she's his grandmother and not his mother, it's not emergency leave.... Even if she did raise him. I had to explain to him that she adopted him at birth and I was told I had to bring in adoption paperwork to prove it. So now I got my Soldier who should have been on his way home already with his wife and kids searching for adoption papers or whatever because this platoon sergeant and PL was too pussy poo poo to tell the 1SG and the CO the situation. Now the PSG is holding onto the leave form for my soldier because he doesn't want him signing out at midnight and driving home because it's too dangerous and has to start his leave tomorrow morning at 0600....

gently caress the Army and all the human being rear end SNCOs and officers.

Just pass the word to the Soldier/family to call their congressman RIGHT NOW. This will do a few good things. Everyone from the Division Commander on down will be made aware of the situation. And when they find out about what this PS/PL did they will fire a sabot into their chests.

And the Soldier will be on leave to go see his grandmother very quickly and nobody will give him trouble.

*edit* I don't "normally" recommend this option. I would normally say you should use the CO's open door policy, but you're on a short fuse here. Holy cow it will make stuff happen IMMEDIATELY.

**edit** Also, this goes without saying, but keep your mouth shut about you being the one to tell them to call the congressperson.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 1, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

I already told him to take off and I'm signed him out as soon as I released the guys for the day. But I'll give him a heads up about the congressman route as soon as he calms down a bit. Or I'll have him call my LT's mom who's a congresswoman.....

At this point it would be best if someone (a really hardass aunt or something) just made a complaint about the situation to their congressman. An investigation will be initiated and the failures will get hung.

It will also remind everyone in the CoC that this stuff is very important and you might just save a future Soldier some hassle.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeris posted:

What's his pt score

Good question. :colbert:

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm fairly :okpos: right now and if Kaliber can PM the name of the dude's congressman and some unit info I wouldn't mind calling and complaining.

It's really best if it's a family member who can do it. Upset constituents have the most power.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

My last unit had people fill out loco parentis statements or something like that, so they could prove who raised someone if they got a Red Cross message.

I'm wondering how this is even a thing platoon leadership could cover up. Any death of a blood relative (or adopted, whatever) was battalion commander wakeup criteria when I was at that level. And it was all handled at the BN level too. Company commander can get f'ed if they didn't like it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Suntan Boy posted:

asking your branch manager super nicely for a specific assignment

This is good advice. If you don't know who your branch manager is, find out.

And start talking to them. Some of them want to help those who show the initiative.

Kaliber posted:

I already talked to my Soldier's wife about calling her congressman

Nice.

Make sure she understands to NEVER MENTION THAT YOU HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. As a civilian spouse nobody will dare to mess with her.

If the congressional investigation starts you act just as dumbfounded as everyone else.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have you guys had your transgender policy training yet?

There's an vignette on what to do when a male Soldier gets pregnant.

It's pretty cool.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Saw a Mercedes SUV with big decals on the back window of a CIB, HALO badge, Bronze Star, and SF crest.

Muh valer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Looking forward to seeing the stories about how the Staff Sergeant got a Bronze Star, but the Specialist got an AAM with a C for the same thing, and the argument that will ensue. Also waiting for the first person to have an award with "VCR" on it having to explain that to someone.

Edit: ^ Yeah, putting your rank on your car has always seemed like the dumbest thing to me.

That just comes down to whoever did the write up of the award (or the unit). I got an award for a thing (with no V), but dudes from a different unit at the same thing got a V. :shrug:

At the time nobody really knew anything about how to write up a V and we'd had bad experiences with them getting constantly getting kicked back, so it was easier to just put in a normal 638 with nothing additional.