Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

spacetoaster posted:

This ain't the navy, son. (I'm so jealous of the navy officers)

Don't be, the only Navy O's take pride in that dumb Navy mess poo poo are SWOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

maffew buildings posted:

The Navy has a fine tradition of making junior personnel literally serve dinner to officers like they're loving butlers during special occasions.

That's not hyperbole if anyone's wondering.

It's literally what happens in a ship's officer's mess.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Woof Blitzer posted:

I've worked with retirees many times before and spending 20 years in the service made them retards... or maybe they already were that way when they enlisted. Makes you think

I don't understand the retired guys you see working as shopping cart attendants at the PX/NEX or other menial jobs. How the gently caress does someone spend 20 years in the military without accidentally becoming at least slightly more employable.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I always bought stuff off college ROTC students coming back from LCAC or whatever the gently caress you guys call OCS.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Lol 2nd MARDIV

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Farrier Theaks posted:

I haven't been to Camp Geiger since 2001 (is it even still Geiger anymore)? I imagine it's largely the same as it ever was, only more dumb

Yeah I bounce between Johnson and Geiger a lot right now, Geiger is infantry boots and Johnson is POG boots.

SOI seems to be less trash than Johnson facilities wise at least. I swear Johnson hasnt been renovated since the Montford marines used it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Im an 8404 Corpsman sooo I kinda count I guess.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

PenisMonkey posted:

Hooah marines

Thank u 4 ur service brave Marine Soldiers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
One more day in Camp Lejeune then I’m out this bitch.

I’ll miss the rock climbing wall though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Checks out for the Marine thread

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
We collected at least a thousand unspent rounds from ~200 Navy FMTB students accidentally ejecting them during range day.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
One time at the MCX some dork yelled at me for wearing sandals, I told him to gently caress off, he called me a f*g. Then he hosed off. That’s my Marine story.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Grem posted:

One time my SNCO told me to write a page 11 for a black kid wearing a Tupac shirt. I asked if I was to write up a white dude wearing a Travis Tritt shirt and got yelled at, then my own page 11.

gently caress the last year of my time in the Corps, seriously.

“Ditty bopping”

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I don’t think it’s possible to get a perfect line score. You can get a 99, which placed you in the top percentile relative to whenever it was most recently adjusted, which isn’t as hard as you would think if you’re blessed with above average intelligence and fresh out of college since your competing with a bunch of people dumb enough to join the military.

The real test is signing that contact at the end of the day though. Which I failed. FTN

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fun fact: Marines and Anarchists are tied for American presidents shot.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Nice and hot piss posted:

Wasn't he like fresh out of college around 24 when he started his military career?

Yeah and he’s like 50 now

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The stupid nub on the M4 grip always rubbed my finger raw since it was too small.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
When I was with the Marines yeah it was a new CIF issue for every unit but I only was with the Marines one time.

For whatever reason the ergonomics of the M4 lower rubs my finger loving raw. I don’t have this problem with my AR’s grip at all.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Hekk posted:

All of MCI West facilities maintenance budgets were slashed 90% the last 3 years to fund things like flying concrete barriers from the east coast to Los Angeles and trucking them down to the Mexico border for reinforcement (I promise that’s a real thing that we really spent money on). East coast might be in a similar situation where nothing is getting funded because the money is being used for grift elsewhere.

As far as the disillusionment goes, one of the cool things about washing out of Officer programs is that you could always just go home and do something else. Otherwise, feel free to take the mantle of this thread’s only active duty poster since I am retired now.

Yeah didn’t the old Commandant get on Trump before he left blaming him for exactly that?

In any case it seems like the USMC from an outside observers position as a Corpsman started purging everyone and everything good during the “awakening” and as a result tanked hard a few years later to the point everything is rotten.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

PookBear posted:

wtf is wrong with yall blanks are fun and you just run your rifle sloppy wet so that you just have to wipe it off afterwards

I don’t like shooting bolt actions M4s

Congrats Hekk!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

ded posted:

post, av, poster name

loving brilliant

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
The military is your one shot at (assuming you’re not actually too broke to work again) effectively UBI via disability and free healthcare in the US and this idiot is throwing that away.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
For a while the Navy was sending almost everyone who failed any A School (MOS school) undesignated, basically a two year “apprenticeship” where you just do bitch work.

Linguist school, nuke school, cyber and SOF schools SEAL/SWCC/Diver are all A schools, so undesignated sailors were either too stupid or immature to get through their entry level training or older super overqualified types who dropped from the hardest schools in the military with no in between.

Being undesignated is also a powerful motivator to do anything possible to get out of the military since it basically torpedoes your ability to do anything besides be miserable with no end in sight for a minimum of two years, since you cannot promote, go to any more advanced training, and unless you’re at a very good command generally receive a generic copy pasted evaluation.

In turn, this makes it then very difficult to do stuff like commissioning programs for the many enlisted with a college degree types who go to those more advanced schools.

Since Navy programs are all about evaluations and command involvement, it’s a bit of an issue since the command won’t “waste” the limited number of good evals they can give on them and they’re generally barred from all that command involvement that are de facto required to look good enough on paper.

Now to the Navy’s personal system they transformed some profesional type who wanted to give it up to be a SEAL or CTN to identical as the dipshit that got kicked out of Corpsman school for trying to stick his dick in the EKG.

It’s an amazing system, very good to see the USMC has its own way to shoot itself and it’s people in the foot repeatedly too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

At least when I was living the life it was a 2 year minimum to strike for a rate that had an A school, which is basically all desirable ones. This meant basically that by the time you graduate from A school and are eligible for promotion if anything went wrong like even a minor NJP you were set to be HYTed automatically.

And at least during the time period I was in during the end of the recession it wasn’t common for A school drops to get a second chance though it did happen. I certainly didn’t.

I think that changed right when I was striking where they finally changed it to one year when finally some admiral realized why a bunch of E3s were getting HYTed out.

My own experience may be different because I spent my entire deck time on a very broken ship in a multi year yard period with what was at best a below average triad. So we did nothing besides poo poo/busy work and qualified on nothing.

Googling it seems like it’s now much less hosed. Still pretty hosed but I think regulations have significantly shorted the time people have to spend and they get automatic promotion into their rate so they can keep up.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Veterans Day with a coat of paint