Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I got 6 in 5 with no promotion boards or bullshit NCO schools due to waivers and deployments. fygm smdftb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

First time I cleared CIF was in Alaska after our deployment and at least half of the post was getting out or PSCing at the same time so it was super easy.

Last time was on Camp Shelby after my IRR trip and CIF was an older dude and his teenage son in an open bay. The older guy was drinking coffee (or maybe booze in a coffee mug) and listening to the radio while his son read stuff off of a list. He'd call out something, such as poncho liner, and I'd hold it up then put it back into my personal duffle bag while he was busy marking it on the list. I would've taken more gear, but tbqh the poncho liner was the only thing worth a poo poo and I was just happy to be going home.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Aranan posted:

SMDFTB if you're still in.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Have you been blousing your trousers over your boots like a paratrooper? Volunteering for the parachute infantry is one thing, but you've got a long way to prove you belong here. Your weekend pass is revoked.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Wainwright is right in town and Fairbanks is way nicer than Sleesville

I liked Wainwright, but I chose Alaska over Hawaii and I went infantry so obviously I'm dumb. If you're into outdoors poo poo you can't beat Alaska, I knew quite a few dudes who came to Wainwright specifically for the hunting and fishing.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I miss Martello.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I believe you're technically AWOL if you don't show for an IRR recall, but I haven't heard of anyone getting hosed up for skipping out. Seems like the army relies on threats and just hopes they don't have to follow through.

When I was recalled in 2009, the cadre I was talking to said the army sent orders to about 500 dudes for my recall group and only 200 or so showed up to Ft. Benning. If that's anywhere close to average, I seriously doubt they have the time and resources to even attempt to track down and gently caress with that many no-shows.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I was attached to 1-98 for my recall deployment. I did not enjoy it.

DoktorLoken posted:

ETSed as an E5 without ever having done any NCOES. :dance:

poo poo yeah brother, same for me but E6. It's one of my best and most glorious army achievements.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I thought the army was the coolest for about a year until they took me off the line and sent me to S3 because I was the last new guy we got and someone had to get hosed. The army likes to give you the illusion that you have some control over your life, but it can move you away from your buds to another unit, keep you in past your contract, and screw you over in general whenever it feels like it.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

...I want to deploy so bad.

The thing with deployments, and sumadat grunt poo poo in general, is you don't control it. It's cool to be fired up to get into combat and do your job, but it stops being cool after a few weeks or however long it takes for you to see someone die. Especially if one of your bros gets smoked. After that you're just counting the days and hoping that when the IED gets you it only takes a leg so you can continue to crank down with both hands.

I get it man. I enlisted in 2002 and was pissed thinking that I missed the war and then Iraq came along and became the gift that kept on giving. Just be careful what you wish for.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

lol@USARAK

At least Fairbanks is slightly less of a cesspool now that one of their 2 strip clubs has burned down (Showboats).

And the Boat was supposedly the "good" one. Rip in piss

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Who's ready for the IRR to drop the last R?

No one because something called the Individual Ready doesn't make any sense.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Camp Shelby

That gut truck though. Frito pie is the only good memory I have of Camp Shelby.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Mustang, tell your situation to someone above you. It might work, no reason to not ask politely.

lol

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

The OC called me on the radio asking what to do because the PL for those guys was making a stink. I just replied "smoke 'em". The guy responded "did you say 'smoke 'em'?", so I told him "yes, god drat it, waste the motherfuckers."

Yes, they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, that idea was floated, until someone pointed out two problems: feeding them, since they didn't bring any MREs on this trip in order to get the cooks some training, and we didn't have any more radio equipment to give them. Now, this was up at Fort Greely, so for any of you other sorry bastards who have ever been there, you know there's that one standalone peak on the west side of the highway. That's where they would have put the relay. It's a steep 1200' climb. I did it with some people for fun while waiting for the main body to arrive, and with no gear and it took about 2.5 hours of scrambling up sharp loose rock to make it.

Donnelly Fuckin Dooooooooome (circa 2004)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

psydude posted:

The funniest Cav units are guard Cav units.

I was attached to a natty guard cav unit for my IRR deployment and I was loving pumped when they stuck us IRR dudes in the TOC. I have never been more scared in training than I was doing live fire lanes and shoot houses with those clowns.