Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I showed up for accountability (I know) during block leave because it fell between my leave and weekend pass.

I raked leaves for two hours. There were still plenty of leaves on the trees.

And I'm an O-3.

(gently caress TRADOC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Bragg is actually in a pretty sweet spot, its an hour south of the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle, a couple hours from the beach, and a few hours from the Blue Ridge mountains and Asheville. Not a bad deal if you like to travel on the weekends.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Slim Pickens posted:

This was back on the first page but I still wanna say lol gently caress you sir

Big Army has already said that to me plenty of times but thanks I guess?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

TheAlphaChaser posted:

Dudes. I dropped my UQR today after getting into a few top 15 grad schools. Got a mixture of "nothing but unemployment for miles" and "take me with you." This was the first day I've been truely happy about the future in awhile. Six month countdown starts now.

Life is pretty rad.

What are you thinking of getting your masters for? I'm in the same boat and getting ready to drop my UQR in a few years for an MBA.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I'm going for an MBA. Everyone keeps telling me unless you got in a top 20 (really a top 10) it's kind of a waste of money, which I 100% agree with. The application process is tedious and expensive (gently caress you GMAT), but there are a few highly ranked schools that seem to like vets. Get above a 650 and ideally come from a top 25 undergrad and you're set.

Also don't discount some of the highly ranked European MBAs. INSEAD was ranked higher than Harvard this year, and then there's LSE, IE, IESE and a small handful of others that big banks, hedge funds, consultancies recruit from (if that's what you're going for). European schools also have some kind of weird love affair with American vets, I got into some overseas schools I had no business getting into.

Right now I'm deciding between a t10 school in the northeast or a European t15. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions on the process.

Awesome, I will definitely hit you up then. I went to the Ed Center at Rucker and asked about how funding would work if I went to get my MBA after a UQR and they (unsurprisingly) had no idea besides explaining the basic $22k/year cap, etc. I just want to have a realistic expectation of how much it'll cost me out of pocket.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
In other news, the army is fat but continues to serve utter poo poo at the DFAC and we wonder why

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
If they really want you to suffer they send you to S-3.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Aerial gunnery qualification for utility aircraft: why yes, we have weapons but if we have to use them we're already dead.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I have to draw from Campbell's CIF this week, can't wait

Bragg's was pretty awesome since they let me turn in most of the stuff I never used. Got my hand receipt down to 2 pages :feelsgood:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

TBeats posted:

What unit are you in

I'm headed to the CAB

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Woof Blitzer posted:

That's not too bad.

Give it time ...

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Gate 1 for me

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Day 1 of In-processing:

- I show up for personnel records review as told.
- I grab my number, sit down, and wait in the queue like everyone else. My number gets called.
- I ask hey, I already did this when I out-processed my last duty station (less than a month ago). Give me a stamp and I'll just see my S1 with an appointment. Time saved for all, right? But no, I have to do a record review because its required for in-processing.
- I'm told I'm not on 'the list' for today and that the reception company needs to put me on it. I can't/won't be seen today because I'm not on the list.
- Literally 4 people's numbers are called but they are no-shows. I ask if I can take their spot. Again, civilians tell me that I won't be seen unless I'm on their list.
- I grab an ICE comment card half jokingly on my way out to the reception company and the head OPM civilian spots it and starts getting defensive and explaining that his folks are just following the list.
- He says we've tried walk-ins before and that again, you must be on the list to be seen. "We've tried walk-ins before and it didn't work. Where do you draw the line for walk-ins?"
- I go back to the reception company. Retiring E-7 obviously didn't make sure I was on there, basically acknowledges that he hosed up, and sends an updated list to the personnel records people saying I need to be seen.
- I head back to the personnel records office and look at that, I'm on their list now. They update my SGLI and DD93 as required for processing with no issue.

TL;DR: holy red tape batman. If you want civilians to poo poo a brick just grab an ICE comment card.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Anybody have restaurant recommendations in Clarksville and Nashville? I've been to Dark Horse and a couple places in Nashville but I'm still figuring out the neighborhoods and places where the locals go. No preference really but farm to table is my poo poo.

E: Also, what's the gist of week of the Eagle? We had All American week at Bragg so I'm guessing it'll be similar.

Triggs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

J.A.B.C. posted:

So we have a bunch of events coming up in the next few months that my command team listed as no-fail. A large ftx, redeployments, and a couple of historic events that roll into the 75th anniversary of the 101st.

So of course the officer downrange, who doesn't even do Public Affairs work, wants me to replace him while he prepares to retire. The man is a running joke who has spent the deployment posting up photos of PT to Facebook while doing his job as an MP advisor, which I am not even close to be trained for.

I'm not even mad about going over, as the chances are slim and it'd be four months of extra tax-free pay. Just that it'd only be a Cpt's act of pointless spite that would screw over the brigade PA coverage plan.

I'm posting here because I'm certain staff doesn't know this place exists, and I have no other army people to talk to.

He should suck it up and just finish the deployment instead of dragging you over there to replace him. Depends on how bad you wanna deploy I guess.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I bet he gets there and it turns out he wasn't actually needed

Happens 100% of the time with OC slotting

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Found out today my new work place is one big cubicle farm

On the plus side, the dude I'm replacing is getting his MBA and has already been a huge help for starting the process

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I think I've hit peak staff life. My boss actually encourages everyone to leave by 5 every day, lets me manage my own time, and is an all around good dude. I have two majors who help handle the S3's calendar so I can actually focus on my job.

BDE staff is waaaaay better than BN staff.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm really hoping the budget issue is going to put a halt to the 101st's WEEEEEEEEEEEEK OF THE EAGLE but who am I kidding.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Tales from staff: So today I was sitting in the division planning session for WEEEEEEEEEEEEK OF THE EAGLES and I started cracking up when everyone started talking about funding for trophies when Congress doesn't pass a budget

Best part was when one of the lead planners seriously asked if we had a monetary limit. Dude, you didn't think of that?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
14 series enlisted guy in my shop (E4) just admitted he got a $40k reenlistment bonus.

I was like woah, where's my officer incentive pay

OH WAIT

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
10 days from a BDE CPX and we still don't have an OPORD, S3 is great!

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Soulex posted:

Ah yes. Field grades.

They come in two packages, 1) I drink the coolaid and I eats it up, then 2) gently caress me what the gently caress are we doing

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
How are you not able to use 20 days between now and October?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Mustang posted:

So we're shipping all our stuff to NTC.....by boat....

Barging is cheap, that's why

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
gently caress Arifjan

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Soulex posted:

I had an NcOER go up as a 2/2 and come back as a 3/4. My command made it clear they didn't like me.

There's more to this story ...

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
There are a few of us poor schmucks from YG11 still left. Just biding time.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Got told I have to interview for a HHC command. Interviewing for a job you don't want is the most army officer thing ever.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I fully intend on getting out in a couple years and yeah, it'd be my first command. They already offered me a rear detachment command and I turned that one down pretty hard. My boss counseled me afterward and said I might have made it look like I wasn't a 'team player'.

The problem is that this HHC is in the same BN I'd want a line unit in so I have to be careful.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Loden Taylor posted:

The entire Army kinda sucks at everything.

Even on maintenance for the really expensive things.

Just read this the other day:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2017/09/21/fort-campbell-army-apache-guardian-helicopter-crash/637941001/

This is why I'm neurotic during preflight. The terrifying bit is that the main rotor separated from the aircraft. Those guys were literally helpless to do anything.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
If anybody wants to feel better about themselves just know that I'm stuck at Ft. Drum until Monday because our contract plane out of here is stuck in Japan or something. We were supposed to be out of here tomorrow.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Do tell

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
APFT memo came out yesterday. There was one on record from 2014. Hooah.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

I just noticed that the top guy is the Division CSM :cripes:

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Has anybody had the conversation where you need to tell your chain of command that you're getting out and give zero fucks about deploying?

Because my boss is about to get that from me next week (tactfully). With my UQR timeline I have no desire to put up with the grad school application process while I'm a planner on BDE staff.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Ashmole posted:

Just got out of the box. Apache crashed, 2 guys dead. We saw the flash. Leadership didn't even let us know. We just saw the flash and heard "fallen angel" on another troops net we were doing a recon handover with

Flash? All the attack guys I work with are saying its rumored to have been a transmission failure.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I've only ever been in motard airborne units and I've never heard of officer boards. Please keep that poo poo a secret wherever it spawned from.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
So I found out this week I am not deploying with about half my company while the rest of the brigade and division HQ does. I'm getting stuck with some rear D equipment that isn't mine for a couple months but that's a small price to pay.

Now I can finally focus on applying to grad school this fall and getting out next summer and I'm ... happy? I'm not used to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
The SFL TAP portal is down, the green weenie strikes again.

This is gonna be great when I redeploy and have three months to clear.