Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

You watch a movie through once and that should be enough and besides who wants to hear a director or actor talk over movie dialogue, talking about the scene or whatever. So what movies have you watched twice for the commentary track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Cloverfield, for some reason

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I read that post by TV Zombie and now I want to read it again with a commentary. What was s/he thinking to write a post as bad as that? I blame the script. Clearly the producers screwed around with that post after negative feedback from test audiences. People were walking out before the third sentence.

I liked TV Zombie's early posts* but this new one is poo poo. It needs to be remade in a different font by a more popular poster.

Thanks for reading.

Alan Smithee

* full disclosure: I have never read anything before by this idiot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring Breakers is the only movie I've watched the commentary for I think. But I've seen that movie 10+ times before I watched the commentary just to get a new spin

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Dude, Where's My Car. I have no explanation it was just really interesting.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I really liked the commentary on the first Spider-Man movie where Kiersten Dunst clearly isn't following what's going on and just making fun of the movie the whole time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arnold Schwarzeneggar commentaries are a treat, try some.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

McSpanky posted:

Total Recall especially.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
The Evil Dead 2 commentary is fantastic and I've watched that multiple times. Just super hilarious with Raimi and Campbell ripping on each other the whole time.

The Superbad commentary is really good too and sometimes I prefer it to the actual movie.

and of course who could forget Armageddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I love commentaries. Some of them can be downright hilarious (Evil Dead 2).

- Evil Dead Trilogy
- Black Dynamite
- Fear of a Black Hat
- Every Ridley Scott film I own
- Every Sergio Leone film I own
- Seven Samurai
- Big Trouble in Little China
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

- A bunch more, but I forget, and don't care to look. :effort:

PianolasonMars
Dec 3, 2016
Commentaries are a great way to learn about the craft and industry of filmmaking.

I haven't watched/listened to that many commentaries, but based on this criteria, I highly recommend The Godfather and Slacker commentary tracks. The Slacker commentary is available in full on Youtube.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I recently listened through The Phantom Podcast which was a series of ten podcasts these guys did about The Phantom Menace, and they capped it off with a commentary they recorded for the movie (not on that site but you can easily find it via Google). The commentary was good but not quite as good as their podcast episodes, and the movie was kind of poo poo, but it was worth it, I think. I'm looking forward to their commentaries on Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith once I've listened through the ten episodes they did on each of those movies.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Stephen Prince's commentary for Straw Dogs is the gold standard for me, it completely changed how I saw the film.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Stephen Prince's commentary for Straw Dogs is the gold standard for me, it completely changed how I saw the film.
Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane is this for me. Really highlights all the cool poo poo in there.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I eagarly listened to the writer and directors' commentary for Fight Club when it first came out, hoping to glean some insights into why the movie was so cool and deep to my teenage mind. I... did not get any, but it was cool learning about the process.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wish more films had commentaries by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell, even ones they had nothing to do with.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Egbert Souse posted:

I wish more films had commentaries by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell, even ones they had nothing to do with.

These are always fun, and I think you can hear them drinking scotch on the rocks during at least one of them.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the commentary for anchorman is amazing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, it's basically Arnie just describing what's going on in the scene using his thick accent like it's the inner voice of the character on screen. It's amazing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I was extremely dissapointed with Roger Moores' commentary for Moonraker

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Tropic Thunder just to hear RDJ stay in character throughout the movie depending on how his actor's acting.

I actually have seen the movie Holes more times with the kid cast commentary than without it. Sad that out of that kid cast only Shia did anything else of note afterwards. First time I heard a DMX song to when they sung it during a scene. Holes is a surprisingly good movie, but maybe that is nostalgia because we were also reading the book when it came out to theaters, even had a field trip to the movies to watch it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually have seen the movie Holes more times with the kid cast commentary than without it. Sad that out of that kid cast only Shia did anything else of note afterwards. First time I heard a DMX song to when they sung it during a scene. Holes is a surprisingly good movie, but maybe that is nostalgia because we were also reading the book when it came out to theaters, even had a field trip to the movies to watch it.

Are we the same person?!?!

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Abel Ferrara is the best director for commentaries.

http://fourfour.typepad.com/fourfour/2006/05/this_commentary.html

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

KidVanguard posted:

and of course who could forget Armageddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U

Ben Affleck doing Billy Bob's NASA character as Karl Childers in Sling Blade was great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIqBNT7Muk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQygtsP2FLc

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Resident Evil. In which I discovered:

Despite working with her for months, Michelle Rodriguez never learned how to pronounce Milla Jovovich's name, and just always avoided having to say it.

MIlla Jovovich doesn't know how to stage fight. When she punches people in the movie, half the time she actually just punched him during filming. Jovovich considers any actor who complained about it to be a pussy.

Resident Evil contains a lot of subtle Alice in Wonderland symbolism. By the time they recorded the commentary, the director had forgotten about most of it. Rodriguez had to point it out for him.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Despite working with her for months, Michelle Rodriguez never learned how to pronounce Milla Jovovich's name, and just always avoided having to say it.

I've been doing this with the Korean who started working at the bakery, it's not something I'm proud of. :smith:

Buckaroo Banzai has a subtitle commentary in addition to the audio one, and it's played as if the movie was a totally straight historical recording of reality.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Buckaroo Banzai has a subtitle commentary in addition to the audio one, and it's played as if the movie was a totally straight historical recording of reality.

In interviews the writer and director always act as though Buckaroo and his friends are real people and the movie is a docu-drama based on actual events.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mister Macys posted:

The commentary on This is Spinal Tap is done completely in-character, as the three main guys lamenting how the documentary made them look bad.

It's like getting a sequel included on the DVD for free

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 23, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really like commentaries with the director and some actors. Having a cinematographer or writer is a bonus too, but I think the commentaries are kinda lame when it's only the director or only the director and writer.

Having the actors is a huge bonus because they almost always have some insight to the characters they played and usually have good conversations with the other speakers.

It's loving PRIMO when you get a rare movie with TWO commentary tracks. Holy crap. I remember the DVD back to the future having two different commentary tracks. Holy balls That's some good bonus content.

It's really the worst thing about switching to streaming services. I'd legit pay 5$ extra a month to Netflix if they'd license the commentary tracks

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Darren aronofsky did an "unofficial" commentary on his The Fountain since the studio didn't wanna pay for a DVD commentary. He had it on his site but I can't find the link now. It's on YouTube either way.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Cabin Fever with the "guys" commentary (there's five total. Yes, five) is a riot.

Ditto for Cannibal! the Musical

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Seconding the hilarity of Tropic Thunder commentary, if only because Robert Downey Jr. steals some In-n-Out fries. :)

The Lord of the Rings had some great commentary, especially when Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd mock how "pretty" Orlando Bloom looks as an elf.

Another good commentary came from the season 1 DVD set for The Simpsons. Initially, the animation for the Babysitter Bandit episode was not correct, so they had to redo parts of it. Hearing the animator walk out because the original animation was that bad really cracked me up for some reason. And Marge did indeed look like a bullfrog.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Commentaries were a lot better in the early days when the studios didn't give a poo poo and you had actors and poo poo just burying the movie.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

whiteyfats posted:

Commentaries were a lot better in the early days when the studios didn't give a poo poo and you had actors and poo poo just burying the movie.

For a while it felt like the THE STUDIO DOES NOT AGREE WITH THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE COMMENTARY meant you were in for a real treat

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember the movie Gorgeous had a commentary with Jacky Chan and by the end of it he's just complaining about the production company, how he didn't really care about the commentary and that he's been stuck in the room for hours now and they only gave him a single glass of water to get him through it, like I'm actually surprised they didn't make him re-record it.

Babylon 5 had good commentary tracks, the actor ones were them just making fun of he show and sharing embarrassing moments. The director ones were also super interesting since the guy is a huge nerd and was sharing a lot of details while clearly enjoying it, however for some reason he clearly assumed anyone listening to it had already watched the full series, as he spoils the hell out of how the show ends, including the fate of several major characters and important plot events. I watched the show for the first time on DVD and went back and listened to the tracks once I finished a season, so I more or less knew what would happen by the end of season 5 before starting season 2.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Original_Z posted:

I remember the movie Gorgeous had a commentary with Jacky Chan and by the end of it he's just complaining about the production company, how he didn't really care about the commentary and that he's been stuck in the room for hours now and they only gave him a single glass of water to get him through it, like I'm actually surprised they didn't make him re-record it.

Babylon 5 had good commentary tracks, the actor ones were them just making fun of he show and sharing embarrassing moments. The director ones were also super interesting since the guy is a huge nerd and was sharing a lot of details while clearly enjoying it, however for some reason he clearly assumed anyone listening to it had already watched the full series, as he spoils the hell out of how the show ends, including the fate of several major characters and important plot events. I watched the show for the first time on DVD and went back and listened to the tracks once I finished a season, so I more or less knew what would happen by the end of season 5 before starting season 2.

The crew commentary is simultaneously hilarious and cringeworthy, because they don't remember most of the minutiae. Kinda wish they included the bloopers/outtakes. My Local Comic Book Store owner still has a vintage VHS of those.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the commentary for the godzilla criterion is real good an makes a good case for why the american recut is kinda important and worth remembering

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I was like 14 I didn't have any internet or a Netflix subscription or anything so I ended up watching the commentary tracks on all our DVDs just to hear something different. Anyway the anchorman one stands out to me because will Ferrell apparently gets decked by someone and they just talk about what an rear end in a top hat he is for the next hour

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ahaha what? I remember random people like Kyle Gass showing up, but I don't think I watched it far enough to get to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garry Parrish posted:

When I was like 14 I didn't have any internet or a Netflix subscription or anything so I ended up watching the commentary tracks on all our DVDs just to hear something different. Anyway the anchorman one stands out to me because will Ferrell apparently gets decked by someone and they just talk about what an rear end in a top hat he is for the next hour

Oh, man the Anchorman commentary is legendary. Just totally ignoring the movie to have little skits and poo poo.

• Locked thread