Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey i did a video of a first shift transport gecko teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqRFJzSbWB0

if you're having trouble trying to get started, here's how i ended up

ignore the coolant tank throw with 2 min left, my daughter was watching me play and insisted something explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinner260
Dec 1, 2016

Satisfactory has not disappointed, however not being able to get a top down view is making my OCD scream trying to line stuff up.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Lay that poo poo down on foundations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i bought eco and it's like factorio meets stardew valley but first person. it's hella good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Eh, close enough

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Eh, close enough

That's one way to open a ship up

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've taken a break from playing this game seriously, and instead opted for just punishing my GPU for the past hour.

It's quite entertaining.

I've learned so many things.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Quite happy with my latest masterpiece. Turns out sequenced explosions and decompression events make for a much more visually-pleasing debris field than one big bang.

I feel like when I'm going forward in career mode, I'm gonna use the precision cutter a lot more often.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've taken a break from playing this game seriously, and instead opted for just punishing my GPU for the past hour.

It's quite entertaining.

I've learned so many things.

I'm going to go into free mode and just use all my tethers to send a whole ship into the furnace.

Edit: Well that doesn't work. Tethers aren't strong enough to move a whole Mackerel. It also looks like it wouldn't fit anyway, so I tried stripping all the exterior junk and nacelles (threw them in the furnace too), but that still wasn't light enough so I ended up chopping the engine room and cockpit off. Those were each light enough to move pretty easily, but the computer didn't seem to care when they were processed so it was kind of a letdown.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Your game is just going to chug for a while

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, if you want to cram an entire ship in the furnace not by accident (like I managed to do), you can do it via targeted decompression. It'll absolutely murder your framerate, but it can be done.

I've spent EIGHT freeplay runs on my magnum opus earlier and it worked out , but crashed my game twice, once on the final try, so I don't have a screenshot. :lol:

Took an industrial gecko, opened all doors to have one completely pressurized chamber, then cut my way into the front section, carefully removed all of the cryo tanks and placed them in strategic positions along the corridor on the centerline. Then I disconnected two fuel tanks and and glitch-jammed them into the cargo bay as far as possible from the centerline of the hull. (trying this ended one of my runs rather abruptly :) )
Then I disconnected and disintegraded the center thruster, so it wouldn't detach the cap and decompress the hull. (this ended another one of my runs abruptly)
Finally, I disintegrate the front of the reactor chamber, and remove the rear panel of the chamber housing the ECU, though I was never really sure whether this was actually necessary.

Then I exited the ship through the airlock, and disintegrated the center thruster cap to watch my symphony of destruction unfold. The dominoes didn't quite fall in the right order the first time, but the second time was absolute bliss.

The decompression has the cryo tanks (except one left in the front) cannonball through the ship and ruptures them, spreading coolant through on almost everything. The ECU (I assume, possibly also just the coolant line to the reactor) goes flying and freezes the right rear side of the hull (a bit of a shame that there isn't a second ECU/coolant line on the left to make the whole outcome picture perfect). The reactor has mixed feeling about the whole situation and detonates, triggering secondary explosions of the fuel tanks stashed in the cargo bay, closely followed by the fuel lines and remaining fuel tank in the drive section.

The result is the almost entirely frozen inner hull and partly frozen outer hull shattering into a gazillion pieces as almost the entirety of the gecko is wiped from existence and the framerate shits the bed spectacularly.

I should have mashed the steam screenshot hotkey repeatedly in retrospect, because my ShareX hotkey didn't trigger until I blackscreened and only had the Hardspace crash logging tool indicating the success of my immensely stupid endeavor.

It was...beautiful.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I finally played Subnautica.

It's probably all I'll play this week.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Let us know when you meet your first angry leviathan :)

If you try to go off-map, you’ll meet an even angrier one :twisted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ooh you're gonna have a fun time. Any time you get stuck, think deeper/wider.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My first encounter with a Reaper had me yell “WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT?!” as it tore up my beloved little Seamoth. My wife legit thought something was wrong and came running upstairs.

Also I do not like Ghost Leviathans one bit. No siree.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm playing on hardcore for extra pain.

A friend was over playing and drowned me last night not knowing I was on hardcore. RIP a six hour game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What are all the add-ons to CoH2 like Victory at Stalingrad, Southern Fronts, et al? Would I need them if I were to play the game competitively, since it adds factions and poo poo? It's on sale atm for a ton off

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

New Trackmania released today on Uplay

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It was...beautiful.

well that sounds fuckin awesome

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So, bought a new video card when I found out I wasn't going back to the office until September. Got 4 months of Xbox Game Pass PC, Resident Evil 3, and Tom Clancy Ghost Recon out of the deal. I think I did OK?

Also apparently, Fallout 76 is coming to Game Pass on 7/9 so might finally be worth playing!

Probably related:

https://twitter.com/AmazonStudios/status/1278733996357111808?s=20

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 2, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Subnautica is a black hole for time.

I've started calling the Seaglide the Scooty Puff Jr and the Seamoth the Scooty Puff Sr. Also most of my beacons are named Kevin.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Fallout 76 is irredeemable poo poo and I will never play it again. I don’t care if they No Mans Sky it into a good game, I’m loving out. That was a dumpster fire.

Now a fallout show on amazon streaming? Color me interested.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Subnautica is a black hole for time.

I've started calling the Seaglide the Scooty Puff Jr and the Seamoth the Scooty Puff Sr. Also most of my beacons are named Kevin.

My Scooty Puff Sr was my Cyclops :)

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are all the add-ons to CoH2 like Victory at Stalingrad, Southern Fronts, et al? Would I need them if I were to play the game competitively, since it adds factions and poo poo? It's on sale atm for a ton off

May as well buy them if they are cheap enough. But, some of the addons seemed frustratingly hard. The risk style campaign one especially. I forgot which addon that was though.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Fallout is dead to me

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chopstix posted:

Fallout is dead to me

Same.

I had hope for 76 but then they threw in that optional subscription poo poo and I knew they'd never get another dollar from me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

we heard you guys liked nukes

so we gave you access to nukes to nuke each other

so cool huh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mgsv did it first

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

we heard you guys liked nukes

so we gave you access to nukes to nuke each other

so cool huh

Nukes were annoying as hell when it first released, I can't imagine how bad it is now.

Icon Of Sin posted:

My Scooty Puff Sr was my Cyclops :)

I haven't built a cyclops yet, and don't have the prawn suit in my current game. I have the prawn suit in another game but it's like, 800~ meters down from when I got out and got merc'd by a leviathan. Should have a cyclops today though.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 3, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I built a cyclops. I hate the cyclops. I will probably never use it unless I need to transport my prawn suit around. gently caress that clumsy power hogging bitch.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I built a cyclops. I hate the cyclops. I will probably never use it unless I need to transport my prawn suit around. gently caress that clumsy power hogging bitch.

You'll need it to get the Prawn suit to where it needs to go, unless you're carrying 2 grappling arms and feel like Spider-Man-ing your way through the deep caverns*. If you're feeling really froggy and have a good idea on where you want to go, I saw a speedrun of Subnautica where the guy just took like 3 high-capacity tanks and some extra batteries for the sea-glide straight to the endgame area :stare:

There's a goodie down there you'd probably appreciate, given your comment about the sub being a power-hog.

*do this, it's more fun than it has any right to be

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I loved the cyclops, except when it killed me multiple times by clipping into the geometry and launching me out of the map

Feels like a nice, safe space in a really hosed up environment

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's just so dreadfully loving slow, and I can't run top speed without it throwing overheating warnings. With all the upgrades I'm sure it's fine, but sweet merciful gently caress it's awful outside of rare circumstances for me right now. Just easier to go back to base more often.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Treat it like a mobile base and not an exploration tool

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That’s how I first thought about the Cyclops- that it was hard to drive and more trouble than it’s worth. Once I figured out how to operate it- namely by using the outboard cameras for situational awareness and sonar for navigation in caves (this is gonna drain your power cells FAST so bring more) I was able to drive my Cyclops right up to the deepest endgame places that you need to explore and just drop my Prawn suit for exploring purposes.

It also helps if you build small bases to act as way stations where you can charge/store batteries, grow food and stock up on supplies. I built one near the big tree-like structure that holds Ghost Leviathan eggs and has all those translucent rays flying around it, which proved to be a great “base camp” for exploring other, deeper areas around it.

Also, build lots of decoys and keep an eye out for lava larva.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's just so dreadfully loving slow, and I can't run top speed without it throwing overheating warnings. With all the upgrades I'm sure it's fine, but sweet merciful gently caress it's awful outside of rare circumstances for me right now. Just easier to go back to base more often.

The cyclops is really a mobile base. You can put all of the base stuff in them. Lockers all over and grow food ect.

I never really used mine cuz I did most everything with either my seamoth or my prawn. I'm just not patient enough to drive the cyclops around.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

I'm just not patient enough to drive the cyclops around.

This is pretty much my problem. I'm not patient enough to wait the 30 minutes it will take me to putter over somewhere in it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Fallen Order is now the first game in at least five years that I've played through the entire campaign.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
well, gently caress me, I'm back in DCS via playing as AWACS, plus doing Tomcat Flight School today. The Tomcat: a fast, neat, fatass, fickle rear end in a top hat of a plane, where the answer to your problems is often "afterburner on, and climb"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Godholio posted:

Fallen Order is now the first game in at least five years that I've played through the entire campaign.

I bounced off an early puzzle because the answer was more simple than i thought it would be. But I also dodgerolled my way around things i shouldn't be able to fight yet.