Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Steezo posted:

I bounced off an early puzzle because the answer was more simple than i thought it would be. But I also dodgerolled my way around things i shouldn't be able to fight yet.

Getting good at effective blocking upped my game more than any other single thing. It wasn't until fighting Malicos that I started to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If the download wasn't complete agony I'd uninstall gta5 in a loving heartbeat :negative:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

If the download wasn't complete agony I'd uninstall gta5 in a loving heartbeat :negative:

Basically the only reason I haven't

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Now that I'm dicking around with trying to get kyanite, I appreciate the Cyclops. Still not fond of the handling, but it's an underwater bus so I shouldn't expect great maneuverability.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC in Aug

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Someone give me the too long didn't read summary of horizon zero dawn, I have no consoles so basically ignore anything about console exclusives.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

not caring here posted:

Someone give me the too long didn't read summary of horizon zero dawn, I have no consoles so basically ignore anything about console exclusives.

Best story of any video game I've played in years, fantastic game play, fight giant robot dinosaurs

Story written by the dude who did Fallout New Vegas

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Let’s see:

Generic open world elements
Some lame resource/crafting
Great story
Interesting and novel concepts that are executed well
Female protagonist that isn’t objectified
Not really sure if it wants to be an ARPG or not
Dino bots
Very satisfying combat and combo strings

Think I’d want to play that one with a controller tbh. Definitely an 8 or 9 out of 10. Up there with God of a War and TLOU2

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, that sounds pretty sweet.

I'm absolutely ham fisted with a controller though, I couldn't even use one for streets of rage 4. Keyboard and mouse has ruined me.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

I'll let you know how it goes on m+kb or if I switch to my controller, since I'm buying and replaying it on Steam.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh yeah and there’s tons of different ways to do combat

You can stalk around and take things down more stealth, while having laid traps before, or just go in guns blazing

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Up there with God of a War and TLOU2

Yo I deliberately haven't read anything about tlou2, but how good is it compared to 1?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

oh yeah and there’s tons of different ways to do combat

You can stalk around and take things down more stealth, while having laid traps before, or just go in guns blazing

Oh, you mean my usual method of being sneaky until I gently caress it all up and blasting my way to freedom.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sorry that was a typo lol but I do want to play it and have mostly heard it was a good game

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

not caring here posted:

Oh, you mean my usual method of being sneaky until I gently caress it all up and blasting my way to freedom.

yep that was mostly me in Horizon. Traps are fun and useful. The gunplay is cool and good

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sorry that was a typo lol but I do want to play it and have mostly heard it was a good game

Oh sweet as I know someone in here was playing it. I haven't heard anything since the leak rumours/drama.

Been waiting for hzd for fuckin ever though, robo dinos are extremely my poo poo.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Anybody have opinions on Monster Hunter World? Cause I half remembered a game about hunting dinosaurs, and scooped up that one instead of Horizon during the Steam sale. Playing through the intro section now, and I'm getting the feeling I hosed up.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fired up Subnautica on my laptop for the first time and it made it chug like crazy. It's a 3 y.o. MacBook pro, so i'm a little surprised. Gonna mess around with the settings today or tomorrow to see what I can do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

Fired up Subnautica on my laptop for the first time and it made it chug like crazy. It's a 3 y.o. MacBook pro, so i'm a little surprised. Gonna mess around with the settings today or tomorrow to see what I can do.

Subnautica is one of those unoptimized Unity games that runs like rear end on a lot of configurations. You can probably get it running ok if you're willing to sacrifice on resolution but it won't look great.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

not caring here posted:

don't google the story, there's a pretty big turn in it

The voice talent is top notch*, despite being mostly no-names. Lance Reddick being the notable exception

*that one loving woman commander of Aloy's tribe aside

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Suntan Boy posted:

Anybody have opinions on Monster Hunter World? Cause I half remembered a game about hunting dinosaurs, and scooped up that one instead of Horizon during the Steam sale. Playing through the intro section now, and I'm getting the feeling I hosed up.

monster hunter loving owns but it's a very different game. it is essentially a game of nothing but boss fights where you're refining the fight down to a science. lots of focus on learning your chosen weapon type and building out your gear.

if you hate grinding though i've got bad news

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

GD_American posted:

don't google the story, there's a pretty big turn in it

The voice talent is top notch*, despite being mostly no-names. Lance Reddick being the notable exception

*that one loving woman commander of Aloy's tribe aside

All of this is dead-on accurate. Though Aloy is voiced by Ashly Burch, who voiced Tiny Tina in the Borderlands games, and Chloe in Life is Strange (which I've never played).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Suntan Boy posted:

its gorgeous and capcom is supporting the gently caress out of it

its a very specific game type though, and you either love it or get bored quickly

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo I deliberately haven't read anything about tlou2, but how good is it compared to 1?

It's loving brutal and uncomfortable and delivers a good message about how stupid and tribal people are. Great so far.

I just got to the second half and haven't developed an opinion on that yet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All I can think of is the Polygon review that said that a game that tells us that humanity will continue to murder each other out of spite while the world goes to poo poo seems to ring very hollow when we live in a world now where people are coming together despite society failing many of us to demand better things got each other.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tribalism. Some of us are coming together while others are willing to kill us all because we aren't on their team and are therefore wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

All I can think of is the Polygon review that said that a game that tells us that humanity will continue to murder each other out of spite while the world goes to poo poo seems to ring very hollow when we live in a world now where people are coming together despite society failing many of us to demand better things got each other.

I have a really big issue with a lot of apocalypse fiction for this reason. Human history is full of misery and they’re not wrong to point out how venal and vicious we are, but we made tribes and civilizations with nothing guiding us but ourselves. It seems really shallow to endlessly dig into how people are bad to each other without really exploring anything else.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 10, 2020

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Fallom posted:

Subnautica is one of those unoptimized Unity games that runs like rear end on a lot of configurations. You can probably get it running ok if you're willing to sacrifice on resolution but it won't look great.

I did that and got it running better. it's fun in the short spurts i've been playing it in.

Rimworld though, that's a lot of fun too.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

no spoilers but what y’all thinking of TLOU II

I’m definitely going to get around to it—just a huge backlog. I’m super picky with single player experiences these days, but TLOU 1 absolutely engaged me and lived up to all the hype. If it’s more of the same-ish in any capacity I’m in

I just finished it. I enjoyed it a lot, but I found it to be an extremely emotionally draining game. Especially the last third or so. It plays really well, combat feels frantic when you get into actual firefights and the stealth works well. You'll probably pick the mechanics right back up.

It is absolutely gorgeous. They nailed the environments and the decay/natural reclamation of Seattle.

I felt that the game really shined in the quiet moments where characters are just talking with each other, but it offers up a lot. The sound design is insane too. I was just playing off of my TV speakers, and there were times when I legitimately thought that there were crickets in my house.

Now to pick up Deadly Premonitions Two because apparently I'm on a horror game kick.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fallom posted:

I have a really big issue with a lot of apocalypse fiction for this reason. Human history is full of misery and they’re not wrong to point out how venal and vicious we are, but we made tribes and civilizations with nothing guiding us but ourselves. It seems really shallow to endlessly dig into how people are bad to each other without really exploring anything else.

Most zombie fiction is like this because 95% of the genre is, at its core, tough guy survivalist wish fulfillment

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A book/movie/game where everyone gets along fine isn't very interesting.

It's certainly fiction though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

A book/movie/game where everyone gets along fine isn't very interesting.

There are a lot of those that are very successful, including co-op PvE zombie/apocalypse/survival.

There’s structurally very little difference between washing up on an island with survivors and playing co-op Minecraft, for example.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Where they completely sidestep human interaction, sure.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Where they completely sidestep human interaction, sure.

I think you just have a hole in your game experience called “Largely nonviolent and without human on human combat.” Co-op human interaction problem solving is a big ole genre!

There are so many games where it’s survival and sometimes there’s violence but it isn’t remotely close to the bullshit mega-gnarly apocalypse or utter bullshit Lord of the Flies take.

Most cases of people getting stranded or whatever, they turn out working together and succeeding or failing or getting into some disputes, not dawning bone armor and stabbing each other on day 3.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lone wolves loving die in the long run.

All the tough guy poo poo aside, like it's not even a good strategy to have a very small group of people, since everyone has to take on more responsibilities directly.

Like even snake eaters get resupplied and poo poo after a while. They don't go home and live like that for a loving reason, and it's because a life of pure survival isn't sustainable.

We ALWAYS make big groups. People wanna skate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I think you just have a hole in your game experience called “Largely nonviolent and without human on human combat.” Co-op human interaction problem solving is a big ole genre!

Probably because I find most of them boring.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

mlmp08 posted:

There’s structurally very little difference between washing up on an island with survivors and playing co-op Minecraft, for example.

That's actually how Dragon Quests mine craft like game starts. I need to finish that at some point. Silly but fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wasabi the J posted:

Lone wolves loving die in the long run.

All the tough guy poo poo aside, like it's not even a good strategy to have a very small group of people, since everyone has to take on more responsibilities directly.

Like even snake eaters get resupplied and poo poo after a while. They don't go home and live like that for a loving reason, and it's because a life of pure survival isn't sustainable.

We ALWAYS make big groups. People wanna skate.

As attested in the seminal 1988 hit, Skate or Die

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJuKT1mHO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wonder if this one will feel more like Dying Light? I liked traversing the city in that game. I’m not really big on huge outdoor areas these days.