Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I had fun being the AWACS for some goons on a strike mission. It was gloriously uncoordinated, and 3/4 members of one flight straight up flew into the side of a mountain on ingress.

I should do that again sometime.

There was an IRL F-15 pilot trying to do GCI on Enigma's Cold War server, and he was getting gloriously frustrated.

First problem: He was using a bullseye 185 miles east of all coalition aircraft, so almost every call was some variation of 270-290 for 150-200 miles, which is already muddy, but real rough for planes with a max engagement range of like 2-4 miles.
Second: most people just want a threat BRA and an o'clock, and no one can see poo poo cause it's zero markers and 95% of players zoom around at 0-2000 feet.
Third: He kept telling people to refer to their own POSIT to build a mental map of his picture calls and trying to describe how he simply does this while flowing cold looking at his HSI before turning in to launch more AMRAAMs IRL. (We are all in like.. Hueys and Tigers and Viggens and barely anyone even turns on the Tiger ADF, and 99% of players are flying in solo, not in elements)

The best is someone would check in and he'd ask what their ETA was to the front and playtime in minutes and the pilot would just be like "I'm just flying east toward the front, dude..."

He finally started to clock that this isn't like Vietnam where in old-rear end planes, the same squadrons were flying similar AOs day in and day out, so generally understood the geography, since the map front line can move up to 90+ miles in a busy day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That is fantastic, and exactly what I would expect from a modern fighter pilot. Not a dig at all, but it's more or less how they have to operate if they don't have C2.

We used to bring one or two on rides when we did Red Flag or WSINT, and their impression was always some variation of "eye opening." Usually with more expletives.

One thing I like getting to do in a debrief is let the flight lead compare what's on his screens to what's on mine. There are a few key moments where you can see a light bulb go off and poo poo starts to click.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm not gonna poo poo on them too hard because, yeah, they have a whole lot of other stuff going on what with being in a plane and all. Still gonna poo poo on them though. I would have savored every moment of seeing their Invincible Sky God egos get deflated with the realization that, yeah rear end in a top hat, you're part of a team and other people do important stuff too that gets you there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Several years late to the party but I'm really enjoying Arkham Knight.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Holy moly I just found out God of War is coming out on steam next week :aaaaa: Fingers crossed it's a decent port...

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

M_Gargantua posted:

I really like my X-55 which I bought from Time Crisis Actor. Thats about all I'm qualified to answer about for flight sims!

Glad you're still getting use out of it. And I'm still kind of embarrassed that it took me like a month to ship it to you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

My goal in life is to get all the achievements in that loving game, for no good reason. Winning as each culture 100 times is a bit of a slog.

I got all 170 achievements in DE as of the sixth. Had to cheese the last one because lmao at beating 3 people vs 1. Absurd. That'd be insanely difficult for the pros so long as they're not playing total noobs. It's just too much. It's a very bad achievement and doesn't remotely fit in with the rest

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Help me empty my bank account.

After my friend took me flying on Tuesday I'm keen to get into a proper flight sim. And proper controls.

Recommend me your best flight sims - MS? - and controllers.

Oh, if you fall down the DCS hole, look into winwing panels if you want to waste money.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

Oh, if you fall down the DCS hole, look into winwing panels if you want to waste money.

...those are cool.

Can you do entirely silly poo poo like treat them as plug and play inputs for any game?

Like, using one for an RTS. Or even Factorio or the like. Yeah, I'm insane.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arrath posted:

...those are cool.

Can you do entirely silly poo poo like treat them as plug and play inputs for any game?

Like, using one for an RTS. Or even Factorio or the like. Yeah, I'm insane.

Yeah, they register as game controllers. You can do whatever you want, play Mario if you so desire.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, they register as game controllers. You can do whatever you want, play Mario if you so desire.

poo poo I'm going to look like Charlie explaining the mystery of Pepe Silva as I explain a control scheme that has the Flare switch make Mario toss fireballs.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Now that PUBG is now free to play, anyone here want to suffer with me?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I will be giving it a shot, just don't have time for probably a week or two.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
God of War seems like Dad: The Game, c/d?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Eason the Fifth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n12Q2Pj9ESg

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Eason the Fifth posted:

Witcher 3 is dad the game. God of War is “pretty bad dad,” the game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
How is BotW so goddamn good?

I do not understand

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Goddamnit I do not want to wait another month for HZD 2

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

GD_American posted:

Goddamnit I do not want to wait another month for HZD 2

For some reason, I thought Forbidden West was another expansion. Oh well, it only took them 4 years to port God of War, I can wait.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In case anyone didn't know (as I did), there's an expansion to Outer Wilds called Echoes of the Eye, and it's been out since last September.

It owns a lot so far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In case anyone didn't know (as I did), there's an expansion to Outer Wilds called Echoes of the Eye, and it's been out since last September.

It owns a lot so far.

I thought you said "Outer Worlds" and got excited. :smith:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I thought you said "Outer Worlds" and got excited. :smith:

If that's your reaction, may i suggest you try Outer Wilds immediately?

Think it may actually be on sale on steam at the moment, i unfortunately git the epic games version.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Holy Moly God of War pc is so good :stare: Krratos' boat stories are the poo poo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I recently beat Dark Souls 3 and its' DLC and it was just as great as I was expecting, easily the best of the 3.

I'm now working my way through Bloodborne for the first time, and it's just as good as all the hype suggested it would be. It's a lot easier than DS3 so far, haven't died to any of the bosses and I'm making my way through my first chalice so far. Dodges and parries seem a lot more forgiving in BB compared to DS3.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Holy Moly God of War pc is so good :stare: Krratos' boat stories are the poo poo

I love that they got Christopher Judge to play Kratos, he's perfect for the role. I didn't know it beforehand but I recognized him immediately from watching so much Stargate SG-1 over the years.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Control is loving great.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Control is glorious. It's like someone mashed together The Matrix and Twin Peaks, yes please I'll have some more of that thank you.

It also reminded me of how desperately I miss having access to a proper sauna.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Control is glorious. It's like someone mashed together The Matrix and Twin Peaks, yes please I'll have some more of that thank you.

It also reminded me of how desperately I miss having access to a proper sauna.

Funny you mention Twin Peaks because this is pretty much how I summed up my time with Control to a friend,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mustang posted:

I love that they got Christopher Judge to play Kratos, he's perfect for the role. I didn't know it beforehand but I recognized him immediately from watching so much Stargate SG-1 over the years.

The best god of war promo video is Christopher judge doing dad jokes

https://youtu.be/PWwvR6cSH4o

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Important question: Should i grab the BotW in-game DLC (Master trials / Champion's ballad)?

I'm already firmly in the camp of this being the greatest game ever and I'm currently limiting myself to 90 minutes a day when playing it in the evening of a lovely work day, and I'm entirely happy to she'll out some more nintetbux if the DLC extends the experience I'm having by any length

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Important question: Should i grab the BotW in-game DLC (Master trials / Champion's ballad)?

I'm already firmly in the camp of this being the greatest game ever and I'm currently limiting myself to 90 minutes a day when playing it in the evening of a lovely work day, and I'm entirely happy to she'll out some more nintetbux if the DLC extends the experience I'm having by any length

Champion's Ballad really rubs Revali's face in it. Yes, absolutely, get it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Duzzy Funlop posted:

yes

you get a motorcycle

also if you beat the game heroic mode rules and makes you feel like a god. I beat ganon on normal and once the credits rolled I started heroic immediately.

its hard as hell but at the same time you become so fuckin good at farming golden lynels and just feeling rad. Its way more furious gameplay as mobs regain health if you dont keep attacking them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah Master Mode is a much better BOTW experience IMHO, you actually need to care about your food/consumables and how you'll fight stuff, plus all the new chests and stuff in the game.

For the first quarter or so of the game random fights will be really dangerous for you but once you get some upgraded armor and better weapons they get a lot easier. This really only effects the open world enemies, the dungeons themselves aren't much different difficulty wise from normal mode.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Finally got a laptop with a graphics card and fired up Shipbreaker. drat, they really nailed a dystopic tone, didn’t they?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GD_American posted:

Finally got a laptop with a graphics card and fired up Shipbreaker. drat, they really nailed a dystopic tone, didn’t they?

One day I will pay off my entire debt in that game. Pretty sure I've done it 1 1/2 to 2 times over so far but progress keeps getting wiped. Forcing myself to not get back in to it until release.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I love how the story updates inevitably come with a bunch of comments complaining about how they made the game political.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They should use the idiot comments as garbled recordings/comms recovered.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mustang posted:

Yeah Master Mode is a much better BOTW experience IMHO, you actually need to care about your food/consumables and how you'll fight stuff, plus all the new chests and stuff in the game.

For the first quarter or so of the game random fights will be really dangerous for you but once you get some upgraded armor and better weapons they get a lot easier. This really only effects the open world enemies, the dungeons themselves aren't much different difficulty wise from normal mode.

Wait, so if I haven't gotten into it too far I should do this as well? Or should I beat the game first.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I would recommend it yeah, my problem with the base game is by the second half of the game you're so strong that nothing is even remotely a challenge which made me not care about doing anything but the main story.

If you're planning on wanting to do all of the shrines, enjoy upgrading armor, and want to pay more attention to the cooking system I would definitely recommend playing it in master mode instead. The world is more interesting to explore when there's actually some risk involved too. Like some of the mobs of enemies in master mode are brutally difficult if you just run straight in and try to fight something.

There's a TON of detail in the world of BOTW but there's not really much of an incentive to find that out if you can just mindlessly slash your way to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

McNally posted:

I love how the story updates inevitably come with a bunch of comments complaining about how they made the game political.

We should be grateful to lynx in giving us the ability to work as a indentured laborer for the rest of our lives.