Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yooper posted:

Do you like planes and think this looks awesome?

If the answer is No! Then do I have something to show you.

Want to coordinate goons as they fly complex and detailed flight operations? You'll be on the edge of your seat as you watch your friends fly into the jaws of death. Dogfights will erupt and you'll be in rapt silence as one icon swirls around another. The crackling of radios and calls for help are your only weapons to help your fellow goons. Fresh radar contacts erupt and you watch as they resolve into inbound MIG's. More targets, and the CAP is almost bingo...

This is LOTAtc (It's free, we have a server license). https://www.lotatc.com/ You, the Air Traffic Controller, Air Battle Manager, or Ground Battle Manager, connect to the AirGoons DCS server at mission time. As the ATC you launch folks in the proper order and make sure they don't drive into each other. Ramat David airbase has 3 runways and sometimes we'll have all three going to get the package up on time. It seems easy, but you are the only one with the tools to coordinate it smoothly.

As an Air Battle Manager you'll direct units onto targets or away from threats.

You'll give folks a BRAA, Bearing, Range, Altitude, Aspect, call. See them straying over SAM cover? Call them back! Goons love to get target fixated, like a Labrador on a tennis ball, it's your task to keep them alive and mission competent.

The Ground Battle Manager focus on strikers or A2G, half the time the targets don't give us a radar return (the exception is boats). So you vaguely steer strikers into a target zone and hope they know what to do. Critically you have to warn them of incoming interceptors or a sudden SAM threat. You are the eyes in the sky to keep those strikers alive. Do you pull them back and call in Hornets to strike a SAM? Or do you task a Harrier for a low altitude gun run? The GBM and ABM work hand in hand like Hansel and Gretel dropping a trail of breadcrumbs to success.

Interested? We'll train you, get you up to speed, and make sure you know the difference between a TALD and a HARM. We've got some really talented ATC and Ground Control, but real life has struck and we could use some more. Same for ABM and GBM. It's actually a lot of fun and you become a huge force multiplier that leads to mission success. The only thing you need is a microphone, SRS, LotATC and a couple of hours on a Saturday.

Hit me up on the Discord : https://discord.gg/airgoons or ping me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Play mooncrash!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CainFortea posted:

Play mooncrash!

It's a really, really fuckin good DLC.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh nice! I gotta finish the main game first!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's say I want Banished, with Colonial Charter, but in coop. I love playing Anno with my wife when I can share everything, and Banished is a favorite of both of us. But in coop?
Kingdoms Reborn seems a bit similar, but how's the multiplayer? Any other ideas?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm at that age where playing plane kitten herding sounds more fun than shooting missiles

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm at that age where playing plane kitten herding sounds more fun than shooting missiles

One of the best games I've played this year was Slipways. It's a 3X (I guess... it's not a 4X for sure) where you basically are trying to expand, get the right resources to the right planets, and run up a high score at the end of the game. Refreshing to have a game that does that well without having to fight/destroy people.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Kingdoms Reborn is a lot of fun in co op, though I haven't played in months so not sure what all of the updates have added or changed.

Performance might be better now but when I last played the FPS would drop to 20ish when you get close to 800-1000 population.

I haven't played many similar style games but I'd say it's good fun for the price.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Hell yeah, welcome aboard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who is herding kittens

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

We all are December 6th. When the Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K7T5LXQPJI

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can't wait.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

facialimpediment posted:

It's a really, really fuckin good DLC.

Nth-ing this. Mooncrash is good. Prey is good. Even the multiplayer "turn into a teacup and murder your friends" is good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vahakyla posted:

Hell yeah, welcome aboard.

See, the kicker here is that the odds i'll actually have time are like 1:12

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I picked up Terra Invicta (made by the dudes who made the very good Long War 2 mod for XCOM 2) and quite frankly I'm hosed if I know what's actually going on but I'm enjoying it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hitman 3 is on Gamepass.

Why is that game so addicting?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

As my old person brain gradually takes over I find that I rarely have the patience for elaborate 4X strategy games anymore, but I recently fired up Endless Legend again after a long absence and while I don't really know what I'm doing, I'm really enjoying the chill boardgamey vibe.

I feel like the mark of a great 4X strategy title is when you're halfway through the game and discover that there's an entire mechanic that you completely forgot about that's steadily been loving you over in the background the entire time.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Give me something as fun as CnC Generals with the graphic beauty of World in Conflict.

…surely there’s been something that scratches that itch in the 19 and 15 years since those games came out? The latest Starship Troopers RTS game was fun but could have used more polish.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I play AOE2 and C&C Generals for a reason.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s not quite the same thing but Beyond All Reason has been the follow up to Total Annihilation that I wish Supreme Commander had been.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Planetary Annihilation: Titans is TA on 3D planets. Well balanced and dynamic too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Godholio posted:

I play AOE2 and C&C Generals for a reason.

Got an AI mod to ramp things up for AOE2, not sure I’ll ever win another game again :laffo:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm loving done with the Logitech gaming keyboards. The drat things are fragile as hell and suck up every last bit of cat hair they can find.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lint roll your cats more often. Problem solved!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Lint roll your cats more often. Problem solved!

I brush them regularly. I rake their coats. It will never be enough.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Never tried the keyboards so can't speak to them but Logitech mice are loving tanks that never die. Still using an MX510 mouse from forever ago. Open it up once a year or so to clean out random crap that builds up and it'll just keep trucking.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Never tried the keyboards so can't speak to them but Logitech mice are loving tanks that never die. Still using an MX510 mouse from forever ago. Open it up once a year or so to clean out random crap that builds up and it'll just keep trucking.

I swear by logitech corded mice. They're great. I've just had problems with the durability of their keyboards. It's not just how easily they allow ingress of foreign objects, they also have poor key coatings that wear off way too fast. I've been through too many of their keyboards in too short of a time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A.o.D. posted:

I'm loving done with the Logitech gaming keyboards. The drat things are fragile as hell and suck up every last bit of cat hair they can find.

Where are you buying the keyboards? If it's Amazon, I had awful luck recently (within the last 6 months) getting a Logitech keyboard from them - it took either 3 or 4 tries before they sent me an actual Logitech and not an obviously fake one.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

After having random crap keyboards my entire life, I spent a little bit of extra money last year and got a Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S keyboard with the kind of mechanical cherry mx blue switches that you can hear from outer space. Still very happy with it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've had good results from logitech keyboards and pisspoor ones from their mice. Even though Logitech replaced one of my mice twice for free, it's just frustrating having a high end mouse either stop clicking or start double-clicking uncommanded after a whopping year or two of use. Finally just got annoyed and bought another comptetitor mouse and I find the layout and functionality worse, but it still works years later, including after being used in dusty/sandy desert environments.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

mlmp08 posted:

I've had good results from logitech keyboards and pisspoor ones from their mice. Even though Logitech replaced one of my mice twice for free, it's just frustrating having a high end mouse either stop clicking or start double-clicking uncommanded after a whopping year or two of use. Finally just got annoyed and bought another comptetitor mouse and I find the layout and functionality worse, but it still works years later, including after being used in dusty/sandy desert environments.

I had that issue with an old 602. Opened it up and bent back the flat spring holding the copper contact for the misfiring left button = good as new. It kept working for years after that

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

I dont have problems with the keyboards, but my cat is just the right type to get hair stuck in the optical sensor area for the scrollwheel. I have a swiss army knife and use the toothpick from that to get the cat hair out. The keyboard I just shake out and hit with compressed air when I clean out the computer filter.

The offending creature.

Had a MX518 that survived my entire first enlistment plus several years. Barracks life couldn't destroy that mouse.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Where are you buying the keyboards? If it's Amazon, I had awful luck recently (within the last 6 months) getting a Logitech keyboard from them - it took either 3 or 4 tries before they sent me an actual Logitech and not an obviously fake one.

Retail. I don't do business with Amazon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Steezo posted:

I dont have problems with the keyboards, but my cat is just the right type to get hair stuck in the optical sensor area for the scrollwheel. I have a swiss army knife and use the toothpick from that to get the cat hair out. The keyboard I just shake out and hit with compressed air when I clean out the computer filter.

The offending creature.

Had a MX518 that survived my entire first enlistment plus several years. Barracks life couldn't destroy that mouse.

I'm the dark souls game where you play an anime girl

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

orange juche posted:

I'm the dark souls game where you play an anime girl

that channel plays through and narrates a bunch of poo poo I would never buy and I"m not sure if he's doing the public a service, or killing himself very slowly. Its great for when I need some noise because my brain is too loud.

Remember Thomas is always watching, and he always judges.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I swear by logitech corded mice. They're great. I've just had problems with the durability of their keyboards. It's not just how easily they allow ingress of foreign objects, they also have poor key coatings that wear off way too fast. I've been through too many of their keyboards in too short of a time.

I've had mine for like 7 years now. Just don't slam your keyboard and make sure to clean it + your hands??? I bought one of those Nickelodeon slime looking things that'll go in-between the keys to get stuff out and use disinfectant wipes on the keys themselves. Definitely helps as I have multiple cats and a dog (and kiddos though I don't really let them get near my stuff + they love their phones/Ipads more anyways).

Edit: My logitech mouse is the same - still strong after all these years.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 10, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

BadOptics posted:

I've had mine for like 7 years now. Just don't slam your keyboard and make sure to clean it + your hands??? I bought one of those Nickelodeon slime looking things that'll go in-between the keys to get stuff out and use disinfectant wipes on the keys themselves. Definitely helps as I have multiple cats and a dog (and kiddos though I don't really let them get near my stuff + they love their phones/Ipads more anyways).

Edit: My logitech mouse is the same - still strong after all these years.

I'm gonna need some proof of cat and remember, Thomas is watching.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i rock a logitech mouse too, shits last forever

also every time i start a new project i end up buying another k400 keyboard/trackpad for $20. if you deal with making a lot of new pc systems or single board systems they're so goddamn useful and cheap

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Steezo posted:

I'm gonna need some proof of cat and remember, Thomas is watching.

- My old girl
- The middle child who loves to snuggle
- The young kid who annoys everyone

Edit: Proof of cat trying to destroy expensive electronics ->

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A.o.D. posted:

Strong Recommend.