Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Oh poo poo, awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

facialimpediment posted:

I would still like to have a word with the writer that decided what DS3 really needed was a love triangle subplot. All the more irritating because DS3 had an absolute banger of an intro sequence and later revisit of the area. And the complaints of the creators making it more of an action game because of the guns were pretty bullshit, but hoo boy that subplot.

The thing that pisses me off the most about DS3 is that they took Ellie, who was a bad-rear end in DS2, and cranked the "titties" slider all the way to max and moved "character" all the way down to 0. She became a total damsel in distress, which was a really stupid departure.

I play DS1 for the atmosphere and sheer creepiness, DS2 for the expanding scale of living through all hell completely breaking loose while Isaac navigates his own mind as it tries to betray him, and DS3 for the amazing set pieces and action sequences, definitely not for the plot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I sorta tried to block out how immersion-breaking the ELLIETITTIES moment was in DS3. That whole character deevolution and the triangle put that on the same level as the Mass Effect 3 ending in my head.

And in terms of the Marker Mindfuck, if you haven't played the Wii game Extraction, watch a runthrough and especially the first chapter. Weirdly worked as an on-rails shooter and pretty hilarious considering all of the other kid-friendly games on the Wii around that time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh man, sure sounding like Remedy is going to Twin Peaks: The Return the gently caress out of Alan Wake II. Similar development timeframes too.

https://twitter.com/yourpalclay/status/1620890269506998272?t=DiF-XgK7kDBxMRRiB_Ee2w&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Heeeeelllllll yyyyeeeeeaaaaahhhh

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Oh man, sure sounding like Remedy is going to Twin Peaks: The Return the gently caress out of Alan Wake II. Similar development timeframes too.

https://twitter.com/yourpalclay/status/1620890269506998272?t=DiF-XgK7kDBxMRRiB_Ee2w&s=19

gently caress yes.

In other news, just finished Frostpunk. I blame this thread for getting me hooked on colony survival games.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nuclear Tourist posted:

gently caress yes.

In other news, just finished Frostpunk. I blame this thread for getting me hooked on colony survival games.

WELL.....have you tried Surviving Mars? I just got back in to it again and there are a ton of free mods out there. If you toss a few bucks at it you can also get some really great DLC.

I might be restarting my current run as I think I spent too much on starting supplies and don't have any cash on hand to react to emergencies that might spring up. I hope I get one of the amazing combos of super techs I had in the past, like android colonists and regular-metal-printed electronics components. Either way not gonna stop playing until I get to check out the new underground DLC and the terraforming DLC.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Surviving Mars looks like fun, but I think Surviving the Abyss might be my next foray into that genre. Not sure if I'm brave enough to buy it while it's still in early access, but I really enjoyed the delightfully bleak storylines in both Ixion and Frostpunk and Surviving the Abyss looks like it has a lot of that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Surviving Mars looks like fun, but I think Surviving the Abyss might be my next foray into that genre. Not sure if I'm brave enough to buy it while it's still in early access, but I really enjoyed the delightfully bleak storylines in both Ixion and Frostpunk and Surviving the Abyss looks like it has a lot of that.

I tried Abyss. I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood, but I didn't even get through the tutorial, and that's with hundreds of hours in Mars. I'll give it a solid go at some point.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked Frostpunk a lot, and Surviving Mars was interesting and I would recommend it but not at full price. Fun to build the EcoDomes and launch rockets but some of the objectives were clunky and confusing, and the colonists felt like robots instead of individuals. Haven’t tried the DLC.

Definitely stay away from the newer Tropicos. I used to relax building sugar cane fields and becoming a rum baron, but the latest one is terrible and is somehow less polished than a 20 year old game. Dumb nonsense like your tiny island constantly being invaded by five guys who follow the same route each time, or being forced to send raids against the axis to advance to the next era? Ugh.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I tried Surviving Mars and pretty immediately felt overwhelmed so I went back to Planetbase.

Knocked out a couple of games for acheevos only the past few days. Telling Lies and Unpacking. Unpacking was alright. Telling Lies, I just blew through with a guide.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

The weather forecast for my area is saying that we might see some of the coldest temperatures ever recorded within the next 24 hours, so clearly an appropriate time to start on some of the Frostpunk DLC.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The weather forecast for my area is saying that we might see some of the coldest temperatures ever recorded within the next 24 hours, so clearly an appropriate time to start on some of the Frostpunk DLC.

Taking advantage of the cold weather to simulate the cold blackness of space as I play the Dead Space remake with every window in my apartment wide open

Game is loving awesome, forgot how much fun it is to slaughter Necromorphs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Snowrunner would also be an acceptable time killer in a cold snap.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i guess im the one person who used Big Picture mode in steam a ton because im the only one mad that valve replacing it with the steamdeck ui

i used the music player for when i grinded ranked modes in fight games, now theres nothing

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

facialimpediment posted:

I wonder if he'll get his typewriter back from the Bureau of Control, be fun if he runs into the janitor.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Nintendo Direct was today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMdUSVSEp7U

New Samba de Amigo! Yay!
Game Boy and GBA added to Switch Online.
Splatoon 3 DLC, adding Inkopolis (from Splatoon 1) as your hub? I think. And a new story called Side Order.
Octopath Traveler 2 Demo online today. Release Feb. 24.
Disney Illusion Island July 28. I had Mickey's Castle of Illusion as a kid and I hope this is just as good as I remember the other game being.
Metroid Prime Remaster released today digitally, physical Feb. 22.
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom releases May 12.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

New Samba de Amigo! Yay!
Splatoon 3 DLC, adding Inkopolis (from Splatoon 1) as your hub? I think. And a new story called Side Order.
Disney Illusion Island July 28. I had Mickey's Castle of Illusion as a kid and I hope this is just as good as I remember the other game being.

POWER PROS BASEBALL!!!!!!!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wrong Theory posted:

New Samba de Amigo! Yay!

Also Advance Wars reboot camp is out April 21st. Unless Russia invades someone else, then maybe not? :shrug:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want the Metroid: Prime remaster :stwoon:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

all i wanted was OG game boy on my switch

and ff tactics, lets go nintendo. also need a release date on metal slug tactics now

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm somewhat - although not completely - ashamed to say that they could nail a three-digit pricetag on the new Zelda and I'd still buy it once it drops no questions asked.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also baiten kaitos 1+2 is getting rereleased

the gamecube games are expensive as all gently caress so its cool they're making a regular rear end version. 1 was rough but 2 was very good

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

I want the Metroid: Prime remaster :stwoon:

I was more of a Sega fanboy growing up and I never really got into the Nintendo stuff much, but I will concede that Metroid Prime was fantastic and I'm borderline tempted to buy a Switch just so I can play it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

switch is p much the best thing nintendos done since the SNES

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also Advance Wars reboot camp is out April 21st. Unless Russia invades someone else, then maybe not? :shrug:

I love that they felt the timing was off when the war was fresh but now that the kill count is high enough the time is ripe.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

switch is p much the best thing nintendos done since the SNES

Yeah. Little bit annoyed to search the eShop for Mario Galaxy 2 and realize it’s not for sale, then remember that yup it’s Nintendo.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I feel I should point this out but if you have a Switch membership, the online shop is selling vouchers for two games for $100. The eligible game list includes the new Zelda which is actually $70. It also includes a lot of first party games that generally don't go on sale. Although Mar.10 is coming up.... There are a lot of other games on the list but $30 for a AAA first party Nintendo game is a good deal if you are going to buy the new Zelda anyway.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

all i wanted was OG game boy on my switch

and ff tactics, lets go nintendo. also need a release date on metal slug tactics now

Yeah about that... https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-developer-lets-slip-that-yes-a-final-fantasy-tactics-remaster-is-probably-on-the-way/

quote:

The latest whiff of hope actually comes very indirectly, in a chat about Theatrhythm Final Bar Line, a rhythm action RPG coming to the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch next week. When asked whether fans can expect characters from Final Fantasy Tactics to be added to the game, Hazama said they'd first have to get permission "from the [development] team who owns Tactics," and that's apparently a problem right now.

"The Tactics team is incredibly busy at the moment, they have other things to do," Hazama said. "They are heavily involved in another project at the moment so we just don’t have time to talk to them. I think that’s probably why more Tactics characters haven’t been included in [Theatrhythm], we just need time to find out the details. I think that’s what is going on, at the very least with Tactics characters. I’m sure they will put them into the game, Fujiwara-san wants Tactics, I know that."

They did just put the pixel remasters on more consoles so perhaps they realize there is a market for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Square is also struggling financially right now so they may be looking for a quick win.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Didn't Square dump a bunch of money into NFTs and crypto poo poo?

E: a quick bing says yes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Didn't Square dump a bunch of money into NFTs and crypto poo poo?

E: a quick bing says yes.

Lmao

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ff tactics was part of a nvidia leak a while back so its coming

switch is pretty much the best strategy console ever made and i want all of them on it asap

also when the hell is metal slug tactics coming

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Recently got Dead Cells and having a blast with it so far.

This is the first 2D platformer I've played in, I don't know, a lot of years. I feel like I need to calm down and unwind after a couple of runs of this game. Good stuff.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man I'm finally playing that playstation Spiderman game and it's wild. There's been suicide bombings, some kind of super-pathogen just got released as a bioweapon attack, and now some evil pmc is rounding people up into detention centres/camps.
Oh and someone mentioned :airquote: enhanced interrogation :airquote: and Spidey was like "lol you mean torture"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man I'm finally playing that playstation Spiderman game and it's wild. There's been suicide bombings, some kind of super-pathogen just got released as a bioweapon attack, and now some evil pmc is rounding people up into detention centres/camps.
Oh and someone mentioned :airquote: enhanced interrogation :airquote: and Spidey was like "lol you mean torture"

Pound for pound it’s a contender for best PS4 game, was so glad it allowed joyous city exploration from the start and let you switch costumes whenever. It was awesome fighting on a skyscraper roof then afterwards seeing the foes I had thrown stuck to neighboring buildings.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh yea, the sheer number of costumes they have is great, yea, I'd say it's about as good a spiderman game as you could make. A lot like the arkham games, although I think I slightly prefer the combat in those.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh yea, the sheer number of costumes they have is great, yea, I'd say it's about as good a spiderman game as you could make. A lot like the arkham games, although I think I slightly prefer the combat in those.

Yeah the combat in Spider-Man is good and it makes sense for his abilities & needing to fit a wide open environment, but near the end felt repetitive as there were only so many ways they could mix together the enemy types and the same tactics could be used to cheese encounters. Also the boss fights are solid but aside from the Rhino/Scorpion none felt particularly outstanding.

Overall I prefer the Arkham City combat especially on hard mode as once you get the rhythms & timing down it is rewarding, and it was the high point of superhero boss battles.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

I'd say it's about as good a spiderman game as you could make.
RCHD228267

I take it back I just started Miles Morales and it rules :allears:

e] I think this might have the best animations I've ever seen in a game, the combat and the traversal look absolutely incredible

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 15, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Arkham City is my favorite Batman game I think. So good.

Dead Cells is a lot of fun. Nicely tuned metroidvania platformer, it even has some Castlevania crossover DLC coming apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Arkham City is my favorite Batman game I think. So good.

Dead Cells is a lot of fun. Nicely tuned metroidvania platformer, it even has some Castlevania crossover DLC coming apparently.

I still haven't beaten dead cells but it's damned fun.