Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All I can think of is the Polygon review that said that a game that tells us that humanity will continue to murder each other out of spite while the world goes to poo poo seems to ring very hollow when we live in a world now where people are coming together despite society failing many of us to demand better things got each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Im just basing everything on how cool and/or funny a mech looks :downs:

This is literally the best way to approach anything

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
WWF Wrestlemania was the best cause the Undertaker could float across the screen and Razor Ramone's arm literally turned into a razor

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/attacushuntman/status/1285156429217689601

It seems like a cool game even though some people complain that it goes on and on about samurai honour 500 years before bushido was invented

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ya gotta give em the Highlander Burial (drop kicking someone with a jumping Assault mech). There's a cheevo for doing it with a Highlander.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1296199802171133954

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish MGS5 didn't happen so I could try Death Stranding but between vagina bombs and off camera rape scenes and "she's silent cause she's traumatized and she's half naked because she breathes through her skin" I'm just completely turned off Kojima

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

orange juche posted:

Tim Sweeney is getting in a giant pissing match with both Apple and Google, and assumedly Valve as well over storefronts taking a 30% cut of the sale price, so more power to him, if it somehow ends in cheaper games or small devs forking over less of their cash to Valve.

It's the right fight by the wrong person that's only doable because Epic is a billion dollar company too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Both companies are hypercapitalist assholes so there's no real comparing which one is morally better.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah the unsaid part is just use whatever is better to you instead of moralizing over who's hooking which indie dev into their engine ecosystem but more nicely

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Patware posted:

i can't tell if the character design is a little on the generic side or if it's just because i've stared at FF14 for so long that everything here looks familiar

https://twitter.com/ph14basicbitch/status/1306341890913042433?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Iain posted:

I thought it looked generic as well, but I am also playing through FF12 for the first time and everything is so colorful. The dragoon looked sweet but uninspiring. Well its attacks were cool at least. Didn't see any other races outside humans in the trailer as well.

Story wise it kind of looks like (speculation) they are going all dark and edgy and gonna have two protagonists fight each other in the end? Personally I would like to see a strong antagonist ala Kefka or Sephiroth. But then who knows how early this is in development?

I really hope the combat is derivative of FF7R, I think they have a good thing going there. The combat with air juggling is giving me DMC vibes. I do admit I skipped FF15 so I don't know if it's similar. I played the demo, didn't finish it.

And does the phrase "The legacy of the crystals has shaped our history for long enough" have a double meaning? Is this the end of FF as we know or grew up with?

FF14's story is essentially boiling down to "crystals? are actually evil" so this is just the same thing being retrod by the same director (well, the FF14 director is producing FF16 but same thing)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GD_American posted:

I've never played Mass Effect. Is it worth jumping into a whole collection?

You ever wished you could play Star Control 2 exploration with Star Control 3's plot with Gears of War conveniently placed hip level objects to hide behind but also you're a Jedi wizard so you can float enemies into mid air and then use your maximum knockback modded shotgun that overheats in one shot and send enemies flying over the horizon but the game doesn't do physics damage so they get back up and spend like 2 minutes running back to you?

I miss ME1

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GD_American posted:

I'm a big whore for any scifi that isn't just repackaged fantasy tropes so.....depends?

Not to become a gimmick, but I haven't played any of those games either

After you play ME1 (or maybe before?) you should download Ur-Quan Masters which is Star Control 2 ported to Windows and also free. I may be biased because it's my favourite game of all time but I don't think any game has come close to having such a well made universe you can explore every nook and cranny of and it was made in 1992. ME1 is heaaavily based on it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What's the point then you can just buy them for super cheap on Steam on a Christmas sale or whatever and it's not like you're missing out on anything

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Handsome Ralph posted:

They're supposedly remastering the graphics and fixing a bunch of stuff as well as packing in all the DLC.

Buying the games on Steam is cheap, but then the DLC is stupid expensive. Also next-gen compatibility and a switch port.

This all sounds like a waste of money for everyone involved when you can just permanently cut the price on all the DLC and package it together. If you care about new console compatiblity, they didn't do any visual upgrades for Mario 3D Allstars and look how well that is selling.

But also no MP lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

orange juche posted:

Hopefully they use the several months delay to reconsider.

They'll remake ME2 and ME3 to have ME1 combat and also make ME1 MP a thing

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In other news look waht just popped up on Gamepass

:corsair:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's an early access scam to fuel Chris Roberts' cocaine habit

It's got a flight model with a ship computer translating joystick movements into individual thrusters on your ship, working space toilets, fighters you can hop into and launch out of your bigger ship, space piracy and stealing other ships, planetary exploration, multi crew spaceships, you can pre-order ships that respawn when you lose them for like hundreds of dollars

Well it's supposed to anyway

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

The Destiny/Peter Dinklage thing is the funniest example of this.

Bungie really screwed itself over casting Peter Dinklage and the cast of Firefly for main characters because they've had to recast, kill off or just plain not write anything about them due to availability which has been made worse by covid

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Patware posted:

Smartest move ff14 ever did for its english dub is hire mostly unknowns

Any game where you intend to do a living story, you gotta cast unknowns to dodge this exact debacle

I mean, they changed contracts at the end of ARR and dumped their cast of known actors for a new cast of unknowns so it's a smart move in the sense of capitalism

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Internet Wizard posted:

Crossposting from TFR’s games thread in case this is relevant to anybody. Here’s an article from a vet that suffers seizures now because of an injury she got on active duty talking about the grand mal seizure and some other close calls that Cyberpunk 2077 triggered.

What the hell were they thinking?? This isn’t just a whoopsie the strobe effect could trigger things, they actually built and implemented a simulation of an intentional seizure trigger.

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1336301370735996930?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
fwiw the part about CDPR cultivating that fanbase is a reference to how their social media spouted Gamergate references and all kinds of baiting gamer behaviour. It's not a very strong claim but I don't think it's a stretch to think that having the game's official accounts getting in on edgy shitposting helps.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Intensity of stimulus to normal people has nothing to do with how epileptic people respond jesus christ lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/LilBrattyBun/status/1337105687864807424?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
And if you told yourself that a euro game is janky as hell you'd say "wow that's so 2007-2020"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/vogon/status/1338037597315076096

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The biggest thing about PC gaming is that a solidly built PC can last through a console generational shift and can also play games from your childhood. Console makers actively interfere with your ability to play old games and mobile gaming is even worse because there are literally no ways of playing old iOS games now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GD_American posted:

I'm not against PC gaming by design, but I like my tiny laptop and don't want either a giant 20 pound gaming heatbrick on my lap, or a tower/monitor setup that I need to buy a desk for. Also, anytime I look at components I have no frame of reference. It's an alphabet soup of possible components that don't have the easy understanding of so many hertz, so many bytes, etc.

In other words,

The internet has made it even easier than before you just go to PC part picker and click on something in your price range and it'll be solid. If you ever get a desk that's always an option.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1339227388438306817?s=19

(this is the game that got pulled from Steam because it had a piece of art in it saying Xi is Winnie the Pooh)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gears Tactics was just not meant to be played on Insane. It's one of those dumb settings where the devs just crank everything to unfun levels and called it a day.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Re: BotW, it's such an amazing game because Nintendo went into it designing it like a puzzle you can pick up and fiddle with. A lot of time and effort spent getting the engine just right so that you can intuit how objects in the game move and function and then just letting the players go at it. Want to light a hunk of meat on fire then roll it down a hill so it causes a brush fire that sets enemies on fire? Go for it! Use a tilting platform to catapult a ball across an entire puzzle room, skipping four steps along the way if your aim is good? Sure! Stop time on a platform and hit it a hundred times with bombs and your sword so the stored energy sends you flying across the map? Hell yeah.

Reminds me of a recent interview with Shigeru Miyamoto where he said that he's less interested in creating immersive game worlds and instead focusing on creating the game world in players' heads so they can intuitively grasp the sandbox they're playing in. He cites helping his grandchild play Captain Toad and observing his grandchild build a 3D structure of the map in his head as one of his greatest joys.

Ah here's the interview https://twitter.com/FloppyAdult/status/1340693372835684354?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Initial D arcade game would spit out a paper "license card" after your first play that saves your game data on it (your name, upgraded car(s), etc) and you'd insert it into the game after you put quarters in to get your progress back. Some of the Gundam arcade machines did this too iirc.

Eej fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But also the only game out that would really flex your 3000 series card is I think Cyberpunk so you can probably wait easy

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

orange juche posted:

I'd buy a D2 remaster in a heartbeat, as long as they don't mess with it too much. Spent thousands of hours playing that poo poo

Judging by how closely the new art style has the same feel of the old one despite the old style looking the way it does due to technological limitations and not the true artistic vision, I think it's a good bet they learned from WC3 Reforged and are not gonna try to upgrade like, anything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Handsome Ralph posted:

-Tony Hawk made quite possibly one of the best business decisions by an athlete by electing to turn down a one time payment from Activision (500K IIRC) and opting to instead take a percentage of all sales from the franchise. He also comes across as a genuinely really cool and smart dude beyond skateboarding.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Modern take on swords to ploughshares

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

They had to announce recently that you can't play it on a launch PS4 anymore unless you install it to an external drive. It is too large to fit on the internal.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1364873529309724672?s=21

There's a couple reasons to it. They have multiple languages all on "disc" because no one wants to wait to download a new language pack and they all have 4K textures because I guess that's a thing now. Warzone is a gigantic map and the only way it makes sense is if they don't give a poo poo and basically have a texture and model for everything with minimal repeats or recycling.

The tinfoil hat theory is that Activision tells its studios to not give a poo poo about optimizing for disk space so they can push out other games from existing on a console which is kind of farfetched but also is the lowest effort ploy with big returns so it's believable. It is also telling that one of the first things Bungie did a year after it left Activision is that it compressed its entire game (and cut out a lot of content, which was probably built very inefficiently by other Activision studios) and shrunk the game by 40% from its ballooned size of 120GB.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just looked up the numbers and Warzone is their 150 player Battle Royale on a 9 km2 map which I think is almost 3x the size of a Fortnite map which makes me think this is a case of Activision dick swinging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would say at least 256gb which is like what, 40 bucks? But if you see a good deal on a 512gb or 1tb why not? Just do a quick googling to make sure that micro SD is fast enough for the Switch