Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Third World Reggin posted:

Hey idiots, do you like crusader kings II?

How about the entire game without the map or combat.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/474750/

It is a dollar atm and good

that sure is an art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

For Honor is cool but definitely not a day 1 60 dollar purchase.

The matches aren't very long, and it's rare to have enough people vote to move to a new map. That means that if 4v4 dominion is your thing, you spend most of your time waiting for a match to start. Then the matchmaking doesn't even work maybe a third of the time. Once you're finally playing the game, there are only three maps and they're dead simple. Guild Wars 2, a loving MMO, had more interesting PvP maps. What the gently caress were they thinking releasing a $60 game with three maps? It's basically a tech demo for an admittedly nifty combat system.

e: Oh, the full game will have a lot more maps apparently. Still, the ones they've chosen to show off suck.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh hell yes. I'm one of those weirdos who thinks DS2 was the best in the series.

gross

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Sicario was loving awesome. 2015 wasn't a great year for movies, but between Sicario, Mad Max, and Ex Machina I was still pretty happy.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Buca di Bepis posted:

Really though, way more of the bad guys died than good guys in that movie

there were only, like, two "good guys" though

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Third World Reggin posted:

I bought the hundle bundle

have some bad free steam games

I won't tell you what goes to what and I don't care if you take them all

3BP0V-0C8LD-DACWJ
4WDHR-QVHQR-L4404
592YM-080VM-YGCEF
4XB7H-0KGWY-32WRX

I think I probably ought to thank you

but goddamn, you weren't kidding about "bad"

e: in other news, the CK2 DLC "Reaper's Due" adds some gruesome execution sound effects

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

not caring here posted:

I forgot I preordered it ages ago, and here it is for preload on origin, so gently caress it I'm gonna get it and play it. They'll fix it eventually, they've got DLC to sell.

jesus

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cowboy elvis posted:

Intentional. People aren't prone to stick around without something attention-grabbing sticking around. It does get tiresome. When done right, though. Whew. The audience knows what they're in for right away and are either on board or leave.

In recent time, House of Cards has an extremely notable opener. You know what the gently caress Frank Underwood is all about immediately.

Yeah, and House of Cards continues to suck because Frank Underwood is still that same dog strangler who breaks the fourth wall whenever the writers think I need my hand held through his next Snidely Whiplash scheme. A slow burn is better—The Wire, The Young Pope, True Detective, etc. don't give you a full picture of the main character(s) or the conflict right off the bat, which is a big reason you they can hold your interest through a 10 hour season without throwing in a ludicrous sex scene once an episode. I don't think, for example, The Wire would be improved by frontloading McNulty drunk driving into a three-way gun battle with Omar Little and Avon Barksdale e: while fielding a call from his irate wife.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that wasn't meant to be a knock against Doom. An action driven game doesn't need much story beyond "there are the demons, go shoot them". A story driven game like Mass Effect does.

Right yeah, DOOM is just an 8 hour shoot-em-up. Who cares. Mass Effect's actual gameplay has never been its selling point. If you start every Mass Effect (/Dragon Age) game with the apocalypse then the apocalypse starts to lose its charm.

The Witcher 2 has the best opening of any game in my imo, especially if you view 2 and 3 as a continuous story that has Geralt witnessing the full historical consequences of some dirtbag petty monarch getting assassinated.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDjci1ODoBs

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Which has the most accessiblity to save? or can you save whenever in both of them? I hate replaying pointless content for 15 mins to get to the part where I died

Also do either ave auto health regen?

seinfeld_hands.gif

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pesticide20 posted:

I don't know if any of you are playing PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS but people on Reddit getting mad about dumb video game things is always funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/63migg/please_change_m16a4_model_or_name/

this game looks like a special kind of poo poo

why not just play the Battle Royale mod for Arma 3 or something

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Dishonored 2 trip report: insanely good

Even though I have to turn down the settings probably more than I should have to, it's still gorgeous at medium-ish.

Its basic gameplay systems improve on the original's in nearly every way.

The maps are inventive almost to the point of absurdity: switching back and forth between past and present at will with multiple radically different versions of the present depending on how you screw with the past, a "clockwork mansion" that is basically a big changeable maze in three dimensions, an island asylum that one-ups Arkham in every way, a giant Frank Gehry palace, a slum in the middle of gang war, a spooky museum. The best level designers are obviously back and pretty much just showing off at this point.

I did a clean-hands, low chaos run with Corvo and got pretty satisfying outcomes for every little "assassination puzzle," even if a couple felt tacked on. Next I'm going to play Emily as a sort of avenging angel blasting heads off everybody. The story was just OK, a mashup of Dishonored 1's revenge plot with the supernatural shenanigans of the Brigmore Witches DLC. I'd recommend playing those first if you haven't, actually. They still hold up and you just won't understand a lot of the sequel if you don't.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

mmhmm, tell me more about how it isnt creepy as gently caress anime bullshit

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm pretty happy with these Audio-Technica headphones. Stuff sounds like the direction it's coming from in PUBG and other games :toot:

same

Reverand maynard posted:

what do you use for a microphone

I've always used a desk mic. There's no change in voice quality.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Two Finger posted:

I have to wonder if the people writing things like that actually believe it or if it's just a paycheck

(A) There's no way that's real and (B) people actually preordered No Man's Sky so you tell me who's more deluded.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

welp

still, see (B)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Caveat that I haven’t played it but my understanding is that new cod sp takes you through campaigns you’ve seen a million times by now ie normandy, battle of the bulge. I think that’s what they mean by uninspired take on ww2. I guess the fact that you don’t play as 101st or 82nd is a big departure from the standard but still they could switch it up more.

From the videos I've seen, not only is it more or less identical on the surface to dozens of other WW2 games, but it's executed really poorly—hackneyed dialogue that avoids plagiarism only by being terrible, quick time events, generic linear levels.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is her being swole af part of the stoy or what because dang

I don't get why people are assuming it's the same person. They look nothing alike. It is possible for a game to have two prominent female characters.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

it's fair to assume it is the same prominent female character from the first

not if they look completely different

boop the snoot posted:

because the voice sounds the same.

like a woman's?

e: LEAKED IMAGE FROM UPCOMING WITCHER PREQUEL AND ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW, GERALT LOOKS YOUNG

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 11, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
YES! I'm right!

gently caress yeah!

Love that feeling! The feeling of being right!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Finally played Crusader Kings 2 after getting most of the DLC from this years steams winter sale.
I tried the tutorial with the recommended age/playable character.
Instigated a plot against the dude who dislikes you, despite the 94.7% chance of plot success, no one else would join the plot even with bribes + titles golden-showered on them,
then the game told me to trump up charges against an old dude in that same region as originalHaterMan and imprison him.
Imprisonment attempt failed, rebellion happened, I was at war but no actual war or army thing popped up, just constant seiges vs me that I lost because I had no idea I was at war.
Lost my kingdom, became a vassal, somehow another war started, and I still had no idea what the gently caress the army did.

Meanwhile, my main character got married, had 3 kids, cleaned up his murder-maze which buffed his Stewardship stat, then peasants threw chickens at the main character during a diplomacy/solomonic decision event, and
then the game switched me to an heir while the original main character was still alive.

All in all: wtf write large. Does CK2 get more interesting if you go ahistorical or with totally made-up nations/factions?
And is there a tutorial that explains armies in CK2 that's not a LP or youtube video?

There is no cap on plot power, even though it's listed as a %. 94% is actually quite low. That and other non-intuitive mechanics are best learned by watching a tutorial on YouTube, unfortunately. Paradox map game tutorials are notoriously bad, and CK2's are the worst of the current generation.

When you start playing, it's a very difficult game because there are dozens of systems interacting with each other to govern all your interactions among a giant web of personal relationships. You get the hang of it eventually, though. Having certain DLCs also makes a huge difference in terms of both difficulty and quality of life.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Stellaris is about to see a HUGE update with a slew of mechanical changes and quality-of-life improvements in, like, 3 days, if my interpretation of obscure hints on Martin Anward's twitter is to be believed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've played everything in the current generation of Paradox grand strategy, and for me it goes EU4 > Stellaris > HOI4 > CK2. EU4 is still the undisputed champ despite a pattern in recent major patches of adding a new meter and calling it a mechanic. Stellaris got a bump recently with a fantastic and much-needed overhaul of borders and wars, and CK2 has dropped below HOI4 just because of the ungodly amount of pure bloat that (1) doesn't improve the game and (2) after a hundred years makes it chug like a fat kid trying to outrun a bear.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

download it on the xbox app on PC.

Like hell.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

If you think any mechwarrior is more valuable than the mech they drive you're crazy. I'd pick the salvage off the field before the dead.

I feel the same about gamers

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EBB posted:

kanye you keep your terrible ideas away from hideo

As if you could tell the difference.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Obra Dinn and Frostpunk are easily my two favorite games of 2018, and I played them both in the last week. Nice way to finish the year.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, Frostpunk certainly looks amazing as hell, but Jesus Christ, it's depressing

On the first day, I lost 9 people in the first night because I didn't realize I needed to absolutely prioritize coal immediately, so the generator was off and they all froze...including 4 children. :(
On the second day, several people fell ill because of the temperature during the night and I had to choose between a law that slowly lets them vegetate but not get well until I build some higher tech building later, or just go with radical treatment and turn them into amputees :( :(
On the third day, I realized I was was producing way too little food on account of not being able to staff my hunter's hut fully (because of the deaths in the first night), but I still needed to expedite wood gathering, because several people were still homeless, so I had to sign a law adding saw-dust to their food to extend rations :( :( :(

I don't think I'm in the right mindset for this at the moment.

Probably gonna fire up Stardew Valley tomorrow morning or something.

If you screw up the first night that badly, just restart. Frostpunk is not the sort of game where you can power through the loss of a quarter of your workforce while the rest are homeless and sick.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

orange juche posted:

The character development for Vivi and Dagger in FF9 are like the absolute high points of Final Fantasy story work and characterization.

Talk about damning with faint praise

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
all final fantasy games are dull, grindy, incoherent weeb trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Started playing Prey this weekend. gently caress this game is awesome. Bioshock in space? Sign me up!

It's better than Bioshock but yeah