Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

600-700 bucks. Do not cheap out on the power supply and motherboard.

I've done both. As of now, my desktop is hooked to a monitor. I use a steam link via ethernet to my tv.

speaking about pc builds, I'm pricing out a mini itx build. All I need is a case, mobo, and cpu cooler. Gonna cannibalize my current pc.

Choosing the right Case/PSU/Motherboard is the key to it being an 8 year machine rather than a 2 year machine. Point being, don't buy an i5 Dell to get you by for 400 bucks, spend 600 and get an upgradeable i7, even if you go low on the ram and peripherals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Played the poo poo out of Dirt 3. Gymkhana was meh, but it was fun to play with the physics.

Very happy.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

I'm rooting for the scrappy white Subaru on the outside.

*gets shiny new racing game, immediately gets WRX version of own Impreza, ignores the Veyron and F-1 cars*

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Late, but holy poo poo

Also, my 2019 gaming goal is to get through my backlog and buy myself a Switch as a graduation/licensure gift next Christmas so I can play Mario and Zelda (and also Red Dead 2). I don't know how deep my backlog is, but its easily 25-30 games from around Sim City/Arkham Asylum and includes the Skyrim re-release. Gonna be a long year.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 23, 2018

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whole lotta people ITT disparaging Link to the Past and I will not stand for it.

I will sit. Quietly. And enjoy my coffee.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

colachute posted:

Mario Odyssey, Zelda, and Dark Souls Remastered. Been playing Mario Odyssey. Some of the goofiest fun poo poo I've done in a game.

What'd that run you total, like 400$? Keep pushing the impulse back off myself.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

colachute posted:

Like $475 total. Had I only got one game it would've been about $375ish.

This screencap is SMO in a nutshell.

Costco has a Smash Brothers bundle for 360 and I can get SMO on Amazon. Might do this today. I need a stupid pick me up. What's the headphones situation like?

e: Oh I forgot I've got an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket too.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 27, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

No Fry's around her sadly. One of the dudes at best buy was like "oh we price match" and I was like "cool" but we got a to the register and he checked the Amazon listing and was like "oh, yeah, see, so we only price match if it's being sold by Amazon themselves, not just fulfilled by them" which is dumb as hell.

Edit:^^^ no wireless headphones, but it has a headphone jack. Online chat is a été clusterfuck that I don't plan to touch because it has to go through a phone app.

I've obviously googled this while talking, but the headphone situation remains murky. Can I use headphones while playing docked?

(greatest feature of the next gen consoles btw, hooking the headphones through the wireless controller)

Cyks posted:

I picked up a pro controller yesterday but haven't tried it yet.

Be ready to drop $70(pro controller)-$100(official joycons + grip) more for a second controller if you want to play with a friend.

Well I've got a few more Amazon fun bucks to cash in so that's okay.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

EBB posted:

Why is Carmen Sandiego in a Mario game?

Probably because Carmen Sandiego owned, gumshoe.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cyks posted:

I picked up a pro controller yesterday but haven't tried it yet.

Be ready to drop $70(pro controller)-$100(official joycons + grip) more for a second controller if you want to play with a friend.

Costco offer fyi:

https://imgur.com/a/AqxnyTs

e: Looks like I have to get an adapter or an extension cord one way or the other, not a big deal. Just would like to know most efficient mechanism.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 27, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cyks posted:

Just tested it and yes. The 3.5mm jack will take over if they are plugged in while docked.

However the jack is on the console itself and not the controller or the pro. You will need a cable long enough to go from the docking station to you.

Appreciate this.

e: Done! Look forward to talking about Luigi related bullshit in a couple of days.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 27, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

mods changed my name posted:

uhh go outside you dumbass ahaha just a lil NZ joke for you

Hahahahaha

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Switch in the hizzouse. I will be honest, did not expect the screen to be as big as it is.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That's baller as hell

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I think this is Week 2 of owning a Switch, and even though I'm at a point in Odyssey where I think I have to back track because I went through a checkpoint (Cappy getting abducted), it was a very good purchase.

It is a snow day, I am now going to play Zelda for probably 12 hours.

Speaking of: When the hell did spoilers go from "o" to "spoiler"

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 12, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ff7 on switch on 3/26

ff9 on switch TODAY

Oh word I never finished 9.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

gently caress

THIS WAS A VERY CORRECT DECISION AND I CANT STOP YELLING

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So you're telling me that for 50-70 bucks I'm getting FFIX and a ground up remake of Links Awakening which I haven't played since 1996

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

owns

e: Vote to rename thread "A Nintendo Switch Exclusive"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Hey dudes, can someone explain the appeal of Diablo? I played through it on Xbox and it was just button mashing for what felt like the entire time.

I want to like it because I used to love the very first one, but maybe I’m missing something.

I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes you just need a button masher to bust the hell out of some demons.

Also some of it is probably nostalgia for everyone in this age group from D2.

e: Also, I haven't played it yet, but definitely downloaded the Switch port of Super Bomberman.

e2: At least I thought I did, it does not appear in my program list though. That's annoying and sure ain't paying 40 bucks for Bomberman (yet).

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 20, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

and tetris 99 makes nintendo online worth it

How bad does it suck getting your rear end beat on Tetris 99 because if its gentle I might try it, but I'm not about to be up here in these streets catching L's (both) from teenagers and getting poo poo talked.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

if this isn't the first thing you did once you got DD i don't know what's wrong with you

I gotta reinstall so I can go run across an Afghan valley with my doggo buddy again :3:

I've got between now and June to burn through my vidya game backlog and am very happy that MGS is in that list. But first! *gets another moon in Super Mario Odyssey*

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Beat Super Mario Odyssey this morning which I believe is the first game that I've actually finished since Portal 2. My backlog is like 30 deep.

I was not prepared for the ramp up in difficulty in the last 2 levels.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Finally poked my head into Tetris 99 and the simplicity is pleasurable.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm chalking this up to (1) I'm bad at video games and (2) I did my navigation wrong but I've run into a couple of world bosses in Zelda that have straight up wrecked my poo poo.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im at the point now where im just running around and trying to max out all the armor at the great fairies

master mode has gold/savage versions of enemies that will gently caress your poo poo up while getting health regenerated at ludicrous speed

right next to the eldin great skeleton (where the red dragon spawns each day) theres a savage variant of lynel that basically destroys royal shields in one hit and chain shocks your weapons out of your hand. you can use an ancient arrow, but no loot will drop.

ive shot it with 50 bomb arrows in a row while backflipping his strikes for flurry attacks and still the only way ive beaten him was just eating all my ingredients for 1/2 a heart each after every hit and prayer.

didnt drop the guts i need for my fierce deity armorset

I do not know what any of these words mean. I have three hearts and am (I think) trying to find the other towers on the Plateau so rear end in a top hat will give me my paraglider.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also another maximus cup next week

if you earn 100 event points you get a game boy theme for the game

The gently caress is a Maximus Cup

(Also Ive been playing a lot to turn my brain off at night. Does a real good job)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Also just looked at the splash page, Maximus Cup is next weekend.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got my paraglider :toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

got my game boy theme from tetris 99

it has the type-a music and all the game boy sound effects

its very good

Same :hfive:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

warsow posted:

3 Months of Xbox Game Pass for 1 Dollar for Memorial Day

I signed up, immediately canceled auto renew and have a full library of games until the week that classes start in August. :discourse:

They only gave me one month but thanks for the heads up.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

EBB posted:

Anybody else hype for the new KSP expansion? The robotics mods have been broken forever so this is going to be a huge game-changer.

God I need to put KSP at the top of my video game backlog. Like I've (I think) landed on the moon but there is an itch in my brain that game has the capability to scratch, just :effort:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

hold up, what

e: holy gently caress, he ain't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASCytz8o9g

Holy poo poo

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

for 3 bucks nba2k19 is pretty dang good on switch

no real performance issues. Shaq and Kenny voices are in it, controls seem decent, idk i guess its a thing where the hardcore fans are mad about stuff.

either way its 3 bucks on all platforms until they update next

Thanks for this. Will definitely be taking advantage.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

quote this poo poo if you're a big beautiful tetris master who dont need a splatoon theme for tetris 99 (because you got one already)

I got 18th this morning which I think is a PR. Just a lazy Saturday. Sitting in my recliner, I'll pick up the Switch, play a round and put it back down for a bit.

E: Also I completely misunderstood the premise of Super Mario Maker. I thought it was just people making Mario 1 levels and putting them on the cloud like some social Candy Crush nonsense. That looks amazing.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 13, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i played the game for 2 years straight as a kid, its worth it imo

Same OP.

*hoot* *hoot*

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh poo poo Links Awakening is downloading on my Switch.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah you can preorder now

My backlog is so long, its actually refreshing to have a game on my system that I can't play for a month, rather than choose to not play one of the 40 games in the queue.

(S/O to Tetris 99, Maximus Cup 4 life)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

We started a new SA Kerbal Multiplayer server, its Vanilla right now, but we will be adding a modlist soon:

kraushaus.net:6702

Wait what there's multi-player Kerbal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh god your dumb game broke the german

Lol.