Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I thought the core of Dark Souls was dressing up in progressively sillier outfits and foregoing better gear because god dammit that shield clashes with my hat :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I don't know how I missed it when it came out, but Far Cry Primal loving owns. So far it doesn't have the standard Far Cry story problem of "The bad guys are cool and I wanna join them instead of working for these idiots :(", you just gently caress off into the wilderness and kill other cave men and animals and get killed by animals. Throw meat to attract animals and use your BEAST MASTER powers to tame them. Now I have a sabertooth buddy.

I was thinking I'd miss my .700 Nitro double rifle from Far Cry 4 but lmao eat poo poo, rhino

What a good boy :3:

Buddy we hunted together I'm fine you don't need to bring me snacks

Also the old standby of throwing rocks is still there, but eventually you upgrade that poo poo to a sling that can loving kill people. Spin that rock super fast and bust someone square in the face with it, hell yeah.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Speaking of Elite, what's the grind like with Engineers nowadays? I wanna hot rod my Federal Assault Ship but when it came out all the requirements to just unlock the new merchants seemed ridiculous.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Depending on the last time you played, they've made every material drop triple -- so if you scoop up one widget you get 3 (sadly, doesn't apply to mission rewards) and eliminated commodity requirements so you don't have to fly 100Ly out of your way to get a box of screws or whatever.

The actual unlocks can take time, but if you're deliberate about how you do things they're not too painful.

I stopped just about the time Engineers dropped. That's nice they tripled the materials though :)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im getting hype for injustice 2

ed boon has that weird boner for dc comics and it's a fun world they set up

realtalk though they better have red son batman as a costume

Ed Boon needs to do stuff to get either a Shaolin Monks sequel or remaster going :argh:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

oh i finished titanfall 2 it loving owns

can't really get into battlefield 1 though it's just not really my style getting bullshit noscoped from across the map by 10 year olds

that was pretty much why i stopped playing halo online back when reach was the new hotness

Titanfall 2 multiplayer is more or less the same, sadly. I'm hoping they bring back that horde mode with you and some pals against waves of AI from the first game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol wtf no it isn't completely different games

Getting melted is getting melted to me :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

that was the single best part of halo odst and reach

and that's saying a lot because i consider those games to be the high water mark of the halo franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8QhbV7JwGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM2YqbsEzp0

RIP martin o'donnell's bungie career

When Halo 4 didn't bring Firefight mode back, my interest went out the window :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Is this gonna be on the PC? Each time I look at a PS4, I'll check what games catch my eye and more often than not there is a PC release coming.

Also for you Elite Dangerous types, how long would it take to get in on the Engineers business and start hotrodding my federal assault ship? I just wanna go faster and shoot better in a haz res, and have a longer jump range so I can go cash in alliance bounties a bit quicker.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

It wasn't too hard for me but that game is like catnip for my autism so I had most of the things I needed to unlock dudes.

I'm just worried that it's gonna ask me to do a whole heap of poo poo I don't want and I'll burn out before I get the goods :(

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Same, but Last of Us 2 is gonna get me, the first one is probably my all time favourite game. Oh or Red Dead 2, whichever comes first I guess.

Yeah pretty much. It'd be loving stupid of Rockstar not to release a PC version of RDR 2 at launch or close to, but lmao it took them... a year to release GTA5 on the PC? Something.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Anyone else looking forward to GR: Wildlands?

Yeah. After The Division went to poo poo and never recovered, I've been wanting a co-op ~*tactical shooter*~ to play with my pals. So far it looks pretty neat, really like how there's a seemless first person aiming mode and the customization levels are nice.

BarbieOPERATOR dressup is an important element, after all

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The Rat posted:

I feel like. 80% of what I said while still in was either. "what the gently caress are we doing?" And "this is loving stupid."

Insurgency is really good about this. Team leader gives a command and you pop up the reply wheel and smash that NO option and get:

You want me to do what?
No!
I'm not fuckin' doin' that.

There sheer amounts of disdain in the voices are so good and sadly I can't find them on youtube :argh:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Wildlands looks a bit janky but the gun customization looks robust and gently caress it I'm always down for co-op

Boy oh boy you want gun customization, check this poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9Fbn-lPow

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Syrian Lannister posted:

:stare:

desire to know more intensifies

STALKER-esq just without monsters and weird artifacts (so far? this might change, not sure) loot based FPS, there's a bunch of gameplay footage on youtube of both PvP and PvE modes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

You have my attention.

I mean that in like run down eastern Europe shithole city and you kinda feel you need a tetanus shot looking at screenshots :v: But it's also got what looks like a bit of the clunky mechanics of STALKER, just all modernized and whatnot in an open world setting.

The problem finding good footage is that much like most games, there's either some dude talking the whole time, has a webcam pointed at himself, or both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrlnHfOwV0

This video isn't terrible, though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

My only gripe with Wildlands so far is the driving feels weird and bullet drop seems super exaggerated. 7.62 dropping ten inches at 200 yards? :what:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

When we gonna get a Metroid game that unfucks that Other M space waifu garbage :colbert:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Overwatch is the only online shooter I've ever really genuinely liked, but it feels like I've leveled up to the point of diminishing returns. Every time I go into a quick play game for some fun I get owned by teenagers souped up on energy drinks headshotting me from halfway across the map. It's like I'm suddenly in a skill bracket that's way out of my league.

Same. When I first started playing I was holding my own and then some, but up until last night I had a week long losing streak.

Doesn't help when matchmaking decides to put my fresh meat team up against some multiple star level folks.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

playing online shooters on pc is a nightmare anymore. ive aged out of em =/

Yep, I can't do a loving thing in Titanfall 2 as I die within a minute of spawning. Sucks too cause I love everything else about the game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Titanfall 2 is really really loving good. Also online is fun for olds due to AI bots and Titan combat.

Played the Ghost Recon Wildlands beta this weekend. Feels like an updated Mercenaries. Kinda hope they tweak vehicle controls and some other things, but otherwise, I think I might grab it next month.

There are still human opponents mixed in with bots though so keep that in mind. I really hope frontier defense comes back, I love a good co-op horde mode that's just you and some pals against the AI.

Also yeah I'm getting a strong Mercenaries feel from Wildlands, could be a pretty good game with a bit more care to it. The beta shows promise, but I'm hoping it's older code cause if this is what they're shipping out in a month, it doesn't really bode too well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, as it stands, I'm waiting for reviews before I buy it. Tons of little things they need to fix, helicopter and plane controls for one.

Also, I keep hearing The Division is good now. Any truth to that statement?

They did for one fleeting moment, but then it returned to it's lovely state with some mild improvements. A turd with some peanuts on it that floats around the bowl becauses you, the developer, can't figure out if you want to flush, plunge, or let it flounder so others can see your proud creation.

Still no real end game content
AI is still incredibly overpowered, including:

1) Not impacted by status effects like fire, tear gas, shock weapons, bleeding
2) One of their healing boxes has a big enough radius to fill a room, go through the walls, and fill half of the neighboring rooms
3) Never miss a shot
4) Turbo sprinting faster than the player can even with their "oh poo poo I'm in trouble gotta go fast" ultimate power active
5) Never miss a grenade, either thrown or fired from a launcher
6) Can still churn out grenades while getting shot in the face over and over
7) Can throw grenades far further than the player can
8) Can still throw out turrets, healer boxes, seeker mines, etc with zero cooldown. Have seen LMB guys drop three turrets at once inside of ten seconds.
9) Can hack your own deployed items, something the player cannot do.
10) Heavies will make a beeline for your deployed items, no matter where they are, to kick it apart. This involves climbing things they would never climb otherwise, and if they can't reach it, they just kinda freeze and sit there, tanking your 150k+ damage headshots.

Player durability reduced time and time again
Weapons nerfed due to PvP demands, despite PvP being the smallest group of players so the PvE folks are getting shat upon
Player deployed items sometimes simply don't work at all. A flame turret lasers a target but does not fire, for example.
Playerbase still dwindling as Massive refuses to really address core problems with the game, keeps adding peanuts to turd

It really is too bad as the mechanics of the game are pretty fun, and I love the atmosphere in the DZ, but the cons far outweigh the pros.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the fox engine was fantastic. too bad that it's locked away forever in konami hq

kojima is using guerrila's engine for their new stuff, which he praised very highly- they said that they collaborated a bunch on it, which is a product of the contract that he signed with Sony. Kojima brought the guys that made the fox engine with him, so i'm not worried about him using the horizon zero dawn engine

id kill for a full series creating in fox engine

Shame we'll never get that MGS3 fox engine remaster that was teased for a god drat pachinko game :argh:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

I tweaked my copy of MGSV to make all of the assault rifles semi-auto, and what a surprise, the game is now a million times easier!

That's something else that felt weirdly out of place in The Division; that ability to take your weapon off GO FAST MAXIMUM PEW and tap fools in the face.

God drat the FALs would've been useful then instead of that three round garbage they had :argh:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Spec Ops was a pretty solid game, mostly because I got to shotgun dudes in the face to Deep Purple, but towards the end the enemies got super bullet spongy which somewhat lessened the joys of an automatic shotgun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

(They also got their heads out of their rear end and got rid of splitting bounties so now everyone will get the full amount)

loving finally.

Also apparently if I sold my federal assault ship I could buy a fer de lance now so that's tempting as hell :stare:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

ded posted:

Oh hey. Fallout 4 has a high rez texture pack now.

It is 54.7gb

That's about what my old New Vegas install came out to be in the end.

Remastered New Vegas when :mad:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

It's too bad that a PC release of Ni-oh probably won't happen, it looks super fun :(

At least Nier Automata is out soon.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Nope. I already had all settings maxed out, 1920x1080 resolution, TAA antialiasing, 16x anisotropic filtering, all settings to ultra.

It just looks the exact same, down to the tiniest detail. I'm genuinely curious about what changed.

Edit: but man, for being kind of dumb and badly written, it always looked so GOOD. I want to live in a vault now.

Vaults were more often than not cruel social experiments, though. :ohdear:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Every time I see Fallout 4 on a steam-sale, I want to pull the trigger, but then remember it's gonna be at least 6 to 17 months until I have a machine that can even properly run that game again, and then I get all salty :(

I'm guessing it'll be more than 50% off by that time.

It's Fallout 4, though. It's another Bethesda Fallout.

Pros of Fallout 4:

Looks pretty
Good FPS mechanics

The end

I'm just salty cause Fallout is kinda special to me and Bethesda took a hearty poo poo all over it with 3, 4, and how they treated New Vegas.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Two Finger posted:

it's weird because i consider morrowind to be their best game, and that was janky as all gently caress in a lot of ways and was more or less endearing because there was so much going on

other than that i've never really been a massive fan of their work

well, wolfenstein i guess

Bethesda only published that one, though. Which explains why it's good and fun.

Whereas for Bethesda written Fallouts, you have writers foregoing their own story lore, making "sacrifices to player choice in a role playing game in favor of the story", and then making GBS threads on fans via twitter when asked why either of those choices were not only accepted, but instituted.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

people are pissed that your character in FO4 had a :airquote:back story:airquote: and there was a :airquote:plot:airquote:

There's a difference between putting in a premade player backstory in an RPG and removing decent story and quest writing to make room for that backstory.

While speaking with GamesRadar, Fallout 4 game director Todd Howard explained why Bethesda is including voiced main characters — male and female — for the newest game in the series, which is a big change from the third installment. "We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want," he said.

Player choice in an RPG? Nah gently caress that there's the gripping tale of HATE NEWSPAPERS

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Mustang posted:

I've thoroughly enjoyed every Bethesda game and they're definitely the best at making an interesting, fun world to explore. The quests/story in FNV were great and definitely way above anything Bethesda has done but the Mojave itself wasn't all that interesting to explore.

I'd like a Elder Scrolls/Fallout game with the world created by Bethesda and the story written by Obsidian.

New Vegas was written by Obsidian, which incidentally might explain why it's vastly better than anything 3 and 4 offered.

Are they gonna let Obsidian do another Fallout? Cos that's the only Fallout I want.

Considering how badly Bethesda actively hosed them over during production and after launch, I'd be surprised if Obsidian would want to work with them again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Arc Light posted:

There's also no way to end the game peacefully, even when it would be totally logical. The endgame requires you to totally eradicate at least one of the major factions, even if you're so high-ranking in that faction that you should be able to just order a truce. But really, nothing you did in the game up to that point mattered at all. You get the same two ending cutscenes, dependent on who you backed. In a departure from previous games, you don't even get a halfassed narration describing the impact that the player character had on the world around them. It just felt really lazy. Bethesda can do better.

And in true Bethesda tradition, you become the head of whatever group inside of three quests. :v:

Also yeah not having any solid narration after everything ends was seriously lovely.

Basically the best thing to come out of Fallout 4 was this:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Everything i heard out of the beta wasn't impressive but gently caress it, co op chill mode

It oddly is a fairly relaxing game. The world looks amazing and there's chill ambient music off and on.

There's still some minor quirks that I hope get ironed out before launch but I've got a good feeling it'll be an alright game. And I'm a huge sucker for co-op PvE.

Plus with their being no PvP, there's no chance of things getting nerfed to placate them while making GBS threads on the PvE folks like what happened to The Division over and over again :haw:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

This beta is a lot better than the last one. Graphics performance is better for one. On a 1080 the last beta chugged randomly but this time it's smooth as all hell with everything maxed. Also playing on the highest difficulty is the way to go. The second area they added for this one gives high hopes for the rest of the game. Anti air, alert sirens, power generators you can disable, well placed enemies and patrol routes, poo poo is really well done. The new area gives a much more mgsv feel.

This really does remind me of MGSV without the batshit crazy bits and (to me) really tedious grinding of materials to upgrade your equipment. Resources are still there but it's not like you need a million units of fuel for some middle of the road gear. I love sneaking around bases and outposts, tagging everyone until all the red blobs on the map are gone.

Then I turn on thermal vision and use my three dot laser pistol cause holy poo poo it looks exactly like the predator's laser :unsmigghh:

Anyone else stoked for Horizon Zero Dawn?

Yeah, though I still need to get a PS4. So many games I want on it are either ones I've played on the PC, or are coming to the PC. Right now it'd just be that one and then some poo poo that isn't even out yet :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

Jesus Christ Horizon Zero Dawn is a gorgeous video game.

How fun is it? How much is there to do? How much of is it cool and awesome?

I keep looking at PS4 deals and Horizon is super tempting me oh jeez :sweatdrop:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

It's like the more recent Tomb Raiders and Far Cry Primal had a baby. It's entertaining and I think if you have a PS4 you should check it out at some point. I don't know if I would buy a PS4 just to play it.

Oh jeez I loved those games, apparently there's a Horizon bundle coming this month too.

But yeah buying a console just for one game is kinda dumb. Maybe I'll hold out a while and see what's going on with the RDR2 and Mordor 2 releases. No PC release there sure would push me to the PS4.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

mordor 2 will probably have a day and date pc launch, but i bet rdr2 comes to pc 6-12 months after console release

Yeah I won't be surprised if Rockstar pulls another GTA4/5 with it. I'm a huge loving slut for cowboy action pew pew adventures so I'd be hard pressed to not get it immediately.

Don't forget Last of Us 2, which I assume will be an exclusive release.

That too. So there's Horizon, RDR2, Last of Us 2, Ni-oh, Nier Automata (which is getting a Steam release eventually but the devs are all pearl clutchy over PC piracy for fucks sake). Five games total isn't bad, plus there's the whole library of poo poo I can't think of.

Maybe there will be some cool bundles later on.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Only reason to own Nintendo anything is MarioKart games, so you just wait for the system to offically flop and grab one on ebay or the local pawnshop for $150

I just want a new dang Metroid that isn't some Other M space waifu Samus-chan bullshit :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Are Pro PS4s really worth the extra money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Godholio posted:

It's worth it just for the larger hard drive. You'll spend more than that $100 if you ever decide that 500GB isn't enough (because it isn't these days).

If you have a PS4 already I don't know that it's worth getting a Pro, but if you're deciding between the two, go with the Pro.

Oh yeah that's a good point, I just upgraded my old 500GB platter games drive for a 1TB SSD and it's so nice not having to worry about these giant 50+GB games anymore.