Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Ori 2 and really enjoyed it all the way through. The first one surprised me as being really good for a $5 Steam sale, and this one built on top of that. Thumbs up, would recommend if you want a good platformer.

The setting/story was incongruously wholesome compared to my usual fare though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My Spirit Otter posted:

anyone else pick up mount and blade 2?

I did! So far feels like a more polished Warband, which I am entirely okay with given the hours I put into that while on deployment. Just the ticket for the current work from home thing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oh man, it's great. Theres no better feeling than storming through the enemy lines poking people in the face with a spear

I've gotten to that nice point where my army is around 70 dudes, got a mercenary contract with the empire and running around smashing out smaller enemy lords for loot and prisoners. Really hitting the spot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Bannerlord continues to entertain. Being on the assaulting side of a siege is loving great. I charged my horse up a siege tower and onto the battlements and started hacking at dudes. Then I got cut down with arrows. Loving this poo poo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The quarantine and work from home has had me gaming a lot more and playing catch-up on games.

So far:

Ori and the Blind Forest: got it on sale for 5 bucks, got an Xbox controller to play it with and really enjoyed it. Gorgeous animation, music, etc. First platform type game I've played since SOTN on the original Playstation.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps: even better than the first one, really enjoyed it.

Bloodstained: was sold to me as SOTN with the serial numbers filed off. It was! Really fun, had fun with all the exploration and such. Ended up with the most powerful greatsword in the game, all optional bosses beaten, and map completion at 99.5%.

Hollow Knight: Kept seeing this one mentioned as one of the big newer platform games to play. Have played about 5 hours and it hasn't really clicked with me. Too many gameplay elements feel like challenge being thrown in just for the sake of making things harder. I guess some people like that, but it's not really my jam.

M&B 2 Bannerlord: Early access and has a lot of rough edges that I can see would be off putting to many, but it scratches that very specific itch that the original Warband did on many many days on deployment. Entirely thatsmyfetish.gif, hopefully this will last me for several weeks.

Would much rather be hiking in Utah right now but welp them's the breaks.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Despite being a huge improvement over Warband, Bannerlord occasionally still has moments of delightful jank shine through.

Last night, I was riding the top of a siege tower as my troops pushed it up against the enemy battlements, wanting to be the first into the slaughter to please the blood god. So, the tower gets into position, the ramp drops, and I jump out and start hacking and slaying everywhere.

Killed off the initial batch of archers on the walls there, and then saw another mob of enemies coming from further up the walls. Turned around to make sure that my troops were flowing off the tower behind me, and

THEY WERE ALL GONE

THE FUCKERS MUST HAVE HEARD THE GATE WAS OPEN AND RAN OFF THAT WAY INSTEAD OF GOING UP THE SIEGE TOWER

Managed a few more kills in the oncoming enemy mob, and quickly got overwhelmed.

Felt like a scene out of a movie. What a bunch of blue falcons.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Well I think my current Bannerlord game is glitch locked. I was about to have a battle and managed to turn an enemy lord via charm dialogue, but now every time I leave the dialogue screen and go back to the world map, he just talks to me again. Happens every time whether I try to hold in place or move somewhere else. Dude just keeps talking to me and I can't get anywhere else. :mad:

I was doing so well this game too, 60 palatine guards and everything.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Someone in the Games Bannerlord thread suggested using the teleport cheat to get away, and that worked. Game salvaged!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I'm a huge 40k goon but I tried DOW 3 for a couple hours on a free weekend and uninstalled it in disgust. Couldn't put a solid reason for it other than it felt like some other game with a 40k skin on top of it. Didn't feel right at all.

Did really enjoy 1 and 2 though. It's a shame all the latest 40k games have come from smaller studios and generally been pretty terrible.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

GD_American posted:

Anybody play Battletech (the turn-based one)? I put it on the Steam watchlist with Stellaris.

Yeah I've played through it 4 or 5 times and it's loving amazing, everything my 13-year old self wanted. The campaign mode is a little ho-hum, but the career mode is great and that's what most of my games have been on.

It goes on sale on Greenmangaming sometimes too, so keep an eye out there in addition to Steam.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

GD_American posted:

ok I finished the campaign that Battletech game loving rocks, gonna spend my weekend on all the expansion packs.

It's not just the nerdgasm of teenage Hagetaka (eh, eh? See where the name came from?) playing the best version of tabletop I've ever seen. It's the little design stuff that seemingly every game gets wrong. When your last unit makes its move, you don't have to hit OK to finish your turn. When you're plotting your movement, different colored lines point from the hex you're thinking of going to, to the enemy units that can see you, the ones that you can see, and the ones that you can fire at. God, it's so well designed.

Now it's time for you to do a bunch of career mode runs and build truly ridiculous mechs with the DLC stuff :getin:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:hawaaaafap: I can't wait to watch through the story mode cutscenes on Youtube. Was enormously entertained by the story of MK11, and this looks gloriously cheesy.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I love Mortal Kombat because it's like a bunch of 10 year olds mashing their action figures together and making up stories to go along with it, regardless of how little sense it makes, and it's all done in earnest.

AND NOW THE NINJA IS GONNA FIGHT THE ROBOT AND THEN THE COWBOY IS GONNA JUMP IN AND BE FIGHTING A MOVIE STAR AND ALSO HOT CHICKS

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I love the XCOM games. At least, the reboots. I never played the originals.

That said. This is absolute gold right here.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849487943

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Have you been rolling in career mode, or the campaign? Cause man I could replay career mode so much. That final mission in the Heavy Metal DLC is so great.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I started playing Ori and the Will Of the Wisps yesterday. Easily the most beautiful game I’ve ever seen. It’s reminiscent of the old Kolibri games for the 32X, with all the trappings of progression from the Metroid games. I’m having such a good time and my eyeballs are absolutely feasting on these lovely visuals.

Great game, I played the first one a couple of months before this one came out and loved that as well.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just finished playing through Prey for the first time and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ashmole posted:

Prey was a game that I thought was "ok" at first but I keep thinking about playing it again because it's so open.

The game itself was competently made, and if I was 10-15 years younger I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. My problem was with how I experienced/digested it. Instead of it feeling tense because I didn't know what was around the corner with hidden mimics and being low on ammo, I was taken out of it, thinking "oh I see, this is meant to feel tense as a gameplay decision." The tasks and quests ended up feeling like a slog, and having things thrown in like the flood of military robots at one point felt more frustrating than anything. Overall the fun: frustration ratio was very skewed to the latter.

It's definitely a trend with my brain, cause I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay in Witcher 3 either. Story, dialogue, music, atmosphere, all fantastic, I just disliked having to go from place to place and kill x amount of monsters and do x quests and having to do things in a certain order, etc.

My brain is just broke on first/third person RPGs I guess.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Honestly this is a huge part of why I am about to start my fifth attempt at finishing the game over the last however many years. I'm probably going to reduce the difficulty as much as possible just to be able to hurry through the more boring quest objectives

I used a couple mods that had me starting at level 78 AND having all equipment with no weight limit and it still felt like a slog to me. I'm not really sure where this brain change came about, because I'd have been all over it 10 years ago.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ah yeah that's a good point. poo poo like crafting 300 iron daggers in Skyrim to buff up my smithing skill, or the hacking mini game in Prey really take you out of it.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 29, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

When putting together my current computer last fall, my troubleshooting was bonkers. Went all the way up to swapping out the CPU itself, and it turns out that the CPU was the bad component. Been running fine since then.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

TCD posted:

After - jesus 25+ years of PC building, modding, and tech support, CPUs are last on my trouble shooting list (well aside from re-seating it).

Yeah it was the last thing I suspected, but I had tried swapping out literally everything else first - RAM, motherboard, power supply, hard drives. Basically the issue was that it could boot into BIOS just fine and stay stable there, but if I got to the Windows login/installation screen, it would just die and reboot. Even did when I tried with Linux. This was with a Ryzen 3700X, so a fairly new processor too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I have a used 1080 Ti currently and I'm probably going to end up with a 3080, preferably EVGA but also considering FE if I can't get the EVGA.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

TCD posted:

If I was still on pascal, and I didn't VR, 100% the 3080 looks like the winner of this gen. It get's a little tighter for those on 2080s and particularly 2080Tis.

E: Also - I'd avoid founders. I have a 2080Ti FE - and the fan was - lacking so I just decided to water cool everything.

Good to know! I'll just be F5ing EVGA come the 17th then.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i feel the same way about The Witcher

its cool that you guys like it and all, and im glad cd projekt is a cool company and is doing well, but it just never got me

It's the gameplay that's the problem for me with the Witcher games. But I think I've gone on about it before in this thread, I just can't do the epic sprawling 100+ hour RPGs anymore.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Well RIP the 3080 launch, that was a mess.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Fallom posted:

Yeah I thought I had one at the Nvidia site but I guess that was fake news because after an hour of clicking the “check out” button it just got removed from my cart.

Word’s still out on whether or not everything got botted or nobody had significant stock in the first place. Probably both. I checked Best Buy around 6am and and all the cards just instantly switched from “unavailable” to “out of stock” between refreshes.

Nvidia didn’t do poo poo to stop botting. There wasn’t even a captcha.

Yeah this morning I had them in cart multiple times at Best Buy and Newegg and every single time there would be some error and it wouldn't go through.

Oh well, it's not a dire need, I'll pick one up in a few months whenever they're more readily available.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

not caring here posted:

There was some reddit dude floating around a while back who is supposedly a beta tester for the mass effect trilogy remaster and apparently it is extensive.

Probably worth it for the combat update for 1 and getting rid of the aimlessly wandering around planets in the mako for minerals.

For real, I'd get it for that alone. The combat in 1 was ok at the time, but massively clunky compared to the revamped system in 2 and 3.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I managed to get an order in on a 3080 FE last night somehow. Here's to hoping it actually went through and everything. :ohdear:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A buddy gave me a heads up last night at 11pm right as I was coming out of a StarCraft game and nvidia's site had enough in stock that it stayed for whole minutes, long enough for me to input my info with my puny human fingers.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I like Vanguard cause it's like playing pinball, but you're the ball. And you have a shotgun.

Plays like no other shooter experience I've done before. Though admittedly I don't play a lot of shooters.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Two of my brothers and I have been playing SC1 on the re-release for the last several months. It's been pretty fun, though since there's only three of us, we just beat on CPU opponents. We did one FFA and it ended up being a total Mexican standoff. But against CPUs we've done pretty well, we've gotten up to being able to take 3v5 most of the time. Fun little family activity I guess!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Is Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC worthwhile?

I've been generally burned out on bigass open world games a la Witcher 3/Skyrim, but I recently played Control and enjoyed it a bunch. Have heard a lot of good things about HZD in general, but one of the reviews I read also mentioned there's a lot of crafting, and I don't want to go through the whole 'make 200 iron daggers' a la Skyrim ever again.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's rough on PC without a good system, I'll say that much. I loved it on PS4, though.

This is the weirdest opinion I've ever seen on one of the most universally acclaimed video games in the past few years. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion even if it is utterly wrong

HZD is one of my favorite games of all time because the action is incredibly fun and satisfying, and the story is loving amazing.

I have a 3700X/RTX 3080 so I should be good there, I hope. Was able to run Control maxed out without complaint, at least.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

9 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn and enjoying it so far. Thanks for the recommendations earlier!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

All achievements completed in Horizon Zero Dawn :feelsgood:

I went in pretty blind knowing nothing other than "uhh some kind of post apocalypse with robot animals." Loved the story, loved the gameplay, and absolutely loved the landscape. Several landmarks I've actually hiked to were modeled in game, so I really liked that. It does kind of help that the game is geographically set where I do probably 90% of my hiking, Colorado and Utah :haw: At this point I'm wandering around taking landscape shots in the photo mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah one of the office documents you can find is a report of an agent that investigated the mess that Alan Wake made

The documents in Control are really good and actually worth looking around for, unlike most game collectables

Agree, I actually enjoyed reading them. Having them presented and formatted as govt memos really helped sell it. Much better than hard to read text files in other games with lazy lore presentation.

Control and Horizon Zero Dawn are my two favorite new games played in the last year. (Yes I know they were out well before that, but I didn't get to them then.)