Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

The first one was even more rah rah america jingoistic propaganda so it's just more of the same.

The first one is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

When was the last time you watched it? When you were 12?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rhyno posted:

It's really boring. Loved it the first time in the theater though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
ID4 is perfectly fine for chilling on the couch cruising TBS or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

When was the last time you watched it? When you were 12?

Last year. It's still awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Last year. It's still awesome.

Same.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Can't speak for the second one, but the first one was a great dumb '90's summer popcorn flick. I remember all the critics at the time hated it.

It's been a little over two years since I last saw it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The movie was poo poo when I saw it when I was 15. Hasn't changed much. Only good thing is the dog.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

The movie was poo poo when I saw it when I was 15. Hasn't changed much. Only good thing is the dog.

NO, dog is the worst part of any movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

Up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

No dog is the worst part of any movie.

Fixed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah well I bet I know what you think the best part was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Yeah well I bet I know what you think the best part was.

Parts that don't involve dogs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ID4 and ID4-2 are both great actually

and very, very, very silly

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I missed the 40 movies between ID4 and ID42 so I probably wouldn't understand it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I watched the sequel and remember like 2 scenes so yeah it kinda sucked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

In some of the Marvel movies they even put in scenes exclusively for the Chinese version. Tony Stark will talk to some Chinese scientist for help for 3 minutes and the scene is nowhere to be found in the US.

Marvel has said they no longer have to do that because people in China go nuts for their movies anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I went to see that movie for some reason. It had Jeff Goldblum driving a school bus away from a gigantic alien, which was fun.

Goldblum has been getting his retirement money doing Menulog ads here in Australia. I don't think he got script approval.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Goldblum has been getting his retirement money doing Menulog ads here in Australia. I don't think he got script approval.

He's the Apartments.com guy in the US.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Parts that don't involve dogs

Don't tell me you forgot Will Smith's wife in ID4 is a stripper? Not you, king dirtbag of strippervania?

The dog is totally the best part though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUlIOw4-3RM

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

He's the Apartments.com guy in the US.

"Bada bing, bada boom. I'm done. Learn from the professionals, kid."

You got to Australia to do ads when your broke and Japan when you're still famous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Don't tell me you forgot Will Smith's wife in ID4 is a stripper? Not you, king dirtbag of strippervania?

Of course not

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
ID2 is only noteable for Brent Spiner's character waking up from a coma and turning into a huge gay caricature.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like a lot of 90s action movies but ID4 has never quite been one of them. One of my dad's favourite movies, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

ID4 and ID4-2 are both great actually

and very, very, very silly

The sequel was dumber, like, transformers sequel level dumb, but I enjoyed it a lot.

The original is a loving classic at this point and most of my friends can recite That Speech from memory.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What the gently caress Hardwick.

NEW: Live #StarTrekDiscovery after-show to be hosted by @MattMira. Titled #AfterTrek. Premieres this Sunday on CBSAA

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
ID2 is inane garbage that's largely just set up for a sequel that's not going to come and spends most of its running time with terrible and characters. It commits the biggest sin those movies can commit by being really loving boring.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Master is dead, Hardwick is free!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

GreenNight posted:

NEW: Live #StarTrekDiscovery after-show to be hosted by @MattMira. Titled #AfterTrek. Premieres this Sunday on CBSAA

Hahaha two shows to watch burn and then die because of All Access

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I wish there was a way to let CBS know that me subbing to All Access next week is because of Survivor and not Discovery.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

IRQ posted:

I wish there was a way to let CBS know that me subbing to All Access next week is because of Survivor and not Discovery.

If they're competent in the least, they'll have advanced tracking data to know exactly what you watched, when you watched it, and how often you watched it.

So no, there's no way to let them know.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

This reminds me: Hardwick had the entire cast and several writers of Futurama on his The Nerdist podcast for a reunion "radio" episode.

It's delightful and features very little Chris Hardwick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxF1zjlEU-A

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How much almost-free ad money can you make with a web aftershow? Does Hardwick work super-cheap?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 22, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He isn't hosted the Trek after show, his best friend and writer Matt Mira is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

If they're competent in the least, they'll have advanced tracking data to know exactly what you watched, when you watched it, and how often you watched it.

So no, there's no way to let them know.

When I canceled CBS All Access last year I specifically made a point to put in the "why you're canceling" box that it was directly because they canceled Limitless.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croatoan posted:

ID4 is perfectly fine for chilling on the couch cruising TBS or something.

We Hate Movies introduced me to the concept of the "hangover movie" and that is a pretty good description of ID4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ID4 looks surprisingly good in UHD, most of the effects hold up really well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank god we got back to Independence Day talk after that TV derail.

e: god, there's a part of me that wants to watch neo yokio out of morbid curiosity/because it's short, but it just looks so awful

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 22, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

bull3964 posted:

ID4 looks surprisingly good in UHD, most of the effects hold up really well.

The vast majority of it is model work. Even the destruction of New York is 95% practical models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PriorMarcus posted:

The vast majority of it is model work. Even the destruction of New York is 95% practical models.

Yeah, but the compositing of the practical effects is still pretty drat good.

• Locked thread