Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Counterpoint: So?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Hughmoris posted:

Season 1 of Spartacus is literally the greatest season of television.

Um, I liked it, but I'm pretty sure this is neither objectively nor subjectively true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I love Spartacus but I'd say that's over the top.

Although the Spartacus S1 finale may be close to #1 on my list of "best finales."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So, I've never watched Better Call Saul as it's airing, and didn't know it aired on Mondays. Why the gently caress does it air on Mondays and not Sundays like BB?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

So, I've never watched Better Call Saul as it's airing, and didn't know it aired on Mondays. Why the gently caress does it air on Mondays and not Sundays like BB?

Because it's not the same show?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Because it's not the same show?

No poo poo. Tell me more.

What if I had just posted this:

So, I've never watched Better Call Saul as it's airing, and didn't know it aired on Mondays. Why the gently caress does it air on Mondays?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Longbaugh01 posted:

There's this guy named Saul and get this IT'S NOT HIS REAL NAME

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

What if I had just posted this:

So, I've never watched Better Call Saul as it's airing, and didn't know it aired on Mondays. Why the gently caress does it air on Mondays?

There's seven days in a week and if you make a name for your Sunday slot and then make a show you think has the cache to survive outside of it you can move it to Monday and have room for another show on Sunday and ideally expand your influence to two nights?

Like, the Sunday Night Prestige TV thing is kind of a HBO thing that other networks followed, no? But HBO's a different animal all together and its pretty common for other cable networks to try and build programming for more than 1 night. A lot of the basic cable stations seem to start on one night and as they rack up more "hits" add a second and third night over time.

Plus its 2017 and everyone has DVRs and streaming so the "Sunday Night Slot" probably doesn't mean near as much as it once did, even when Breaking Bad was airing. It seems like more of a selling point where you try and convince people a show is good BECAUSE its on Sunday.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sunday night is Zombie night on AMC.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

Sunday night is Zombie night on AMC.

Ohhh see, I didn't know that garbage Walking Dead spinoff was still on the air. Now it makes more sense.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you so pissed off that it airs on Mondays? Consider me baffled.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Escobarbarian posted:

Why are you so pissed off that it airs on Mondays? Consider me baffled.

I'm not. Using the word "gently caress" doesn't equal anger. Consider me baffled you'd assume that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Ohhh see, I didn't know that garbage Walking Dead spinoff was still on the air. Now it makes more sense.

It is but even with the two of them they only take up like 30 weeks a year. There's other shows like Enter the Badlands or that one about cyborgs.

I don't pay enough attention to be sure (because I watch everything on DVR delay) but it sort of seems to me like AMC has kind of unofficially made Sunday night its "high concept" genre shows and Monday night its "low concept" prestige dramas. But I really don't pay enough attention to be sure what night shows like Preacher and Night Manager were on and I think that's all I've watched on AMC the last few years besides zombies and Saul.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm not. Using the word "gently caress" doesn't equal anger. Consider me baffled you'd assume that.

But the phrasing "why the gently caress does it..." sorta does, no?

Anyway yeah I guess a lot of channels also like to spread stuff out over the week so they're not putting everything into one day.

The Get Down part 2 has been on Netflix for two days and I still haven't found the time to watch it :(

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Escobarbarian posted:

I can see why you might think that, but it depends on the delivery, and I can't really change the delivery in text. I use it for comedic effect (I didn't say it was successful), but it can be delivered very angrily too of course.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that your phrasing came off as "angry" to me but it did seem kind of "indignant." Which did kind of seem odd to me because who the gently caress cares what night a show is on?

:)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't even remember what day Breaking Bad aired despite loving that show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

I don't even remember what day Breaking Bad aired despite loving that show.

Every earlier AMC show ran on Sunday, it's only when they had enough scripted series (note: not the dogshit Kevin Smith show or that bad reality cop show) that they put them on Saturdays and then throughout the week. Hell on Wheels broke the Sunday trend.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I probably watched it off DVR anyway.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This looks like it might be a good show to watch in the interim while waiting for season 2 of Westworld...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM3TE_bsBcg

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is that really an AMC production? Why does it look so incredibly cheap?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a Channel Four coproduction with AMC. And it's really quite good, despite how terrible that trailer was. (First season finale excluded).

AMC is famously cheap, though. Remember the poo poo they pulled on Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead? That, and the British co-production budgetary shenanigans they're clearly pulling on a number of their shows (Preacher, Into The Badlands, Humans) suggests that they haven't really changed since then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Humans is really dull. A bunch of important people died in season 2 and I already forgot who they were.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I really liked the S1 premiere of Humans, and then each episode became duller than the last.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad BCS airs on mondays because nothing ever does and I like my shows spread out through the week instead all cluttered on Tuesday.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a Channel Four coproduction with AMC. And it's really quite good, despite how terrible that trailer was. (First season finale excluded).

AMC is famously cheap, though. Remember the poo poo they pulled on Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead? That, and the British co-production budgetary shenanigans they're clearly pulling on a number of their shows (Preacher, Into The Badlands, Humans) suggests that they haven't really changed since then.

Thank god Mad Men was both a once-in-a-lifetime collision of talent and almost entirely shot on two or three standing sets.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Other shows with followings air on Mondays like Supergirl and 24.

(In fact, didn't 24 always air on Mondays? That's kinda cool.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Awful app hosed up and double posted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyway yeah I guess a lot of channels also like to spread stuff out over the week so they're not putting everything into one day.

The Get Down part 2 has been on Netflix for two days and I still haven't found the time to watch it :(

Its so loving good. Planned on only watching just one ep before getting back to BCS, ended up watching 4. After finishing the season I can say with confidence that the creative shakeup behind the scenes made the show ALOT better, with it really leaning into the comic book like fantastical elements of the show, while streamlining some of the more soap operatic elements, either speeding through them or shunting them off to the void. It feels somehow more realistic/over the top.

And there is like 100% more music.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Couldn't even afford to cut their pizzas on the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Other shows with followings air on Mondays like Supergirl and 24.

(In fact, didn't 24 always air on Mondays? That's kinda cool.)

No, it was Tuesdays at least for the first 4-5 seasons I'm pretty sure. I think it may have also aired on other days depending on whether they were doing a TWO NIGHT EVENT or some poo poo like that.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Been going through Justified and I just finished season 4. I've heard season 5 isn't great and is mostly a set up for season 6. I'd rather not spend 13 hours on bad/mediocre tv so should I just skip it and read a summary?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

plz dont pull out posted:

Been going through Justified and I just finished season 4. I've heard season 5 isn't great and is mostly a set up for season 6. I'd rather not spend 13 hours on bad/mediocre tv so should I just skip it and read a summary?

It still has some really great moments. I'd watch it. Mostly just lackluster villain motivation.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

raditts posted:

No, it was Tuesdays at least for the first 4-5 seasons I'm pretty sure. I think it may have also aired on other days depending on whether they were doing a TWO NIGHT EVENT or some poo poo like that.

Checked. Looks like it was Tuesdays Season 1-3, Mondays Season 4-9, so that's probably why I remember it as Mondays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

For Evey "bad" thing in season 5 there are three good things.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

It's bad compared to other seasons of justified, but it's still good TV. Definitely worth a watch

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Got it. I'll stick with it. Just coming from a guy who's watched too much Heroes and Dexter back in the day I'm a little weary of mediocre TV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Got it. I'll stick with it. Just coming from a guy who's watched too much Heroes and Dexter back in the day I'm a little weary of mediocre TV.

Comparing the latter seasons of Justified to something as execrable as Heroes or Dexter is the height of lunacy.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Abusive Television is a hell of a thing, but yeah both those shows don't hold a candle to even the worst episode of Justified imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ava's plot isn't great and it has the worst season-long villains but yeah it's far from bad TV.

• Locked thread