Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

esperterra posted:

fwiw the twist was never planned afaik. I'm a few episodes behind but the premiere and one following were very good imo.

That seems almost impossible considering the sheer amount of fore-shadowing in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I kind of understand his point. I personally think the finale and season two are great but it's a totally different show now.
This is basically how I feel. I love both pre-twist and post-twist The Good Place, but they feel like rather different shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

fwiw the twist was never planned afaik.

Kristen Bell and Ted Danson knew the whole time. As in, Schur specifically told only them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Imagine if The Good Place didn't have the twist. The show would be getting old by now. They needed to change things up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, I think the show could have gone pretty far milking the laughs from four misfits trying to blend in.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The good place is a good show with a loving wretched season one finale it had to spend several episodes of the new season fixing, explaining, or justifying.

I literally cannot think of a show whose season finale made me want to watch it less than TGP's season one.

What the gently caress

esperterra posted:

fwiw the twist was never planned afaik. I'm a few episodes behind but the premiere and one following were very good imo.

:what: of course it was planned. Kristen Bell and Ted Danson knew about it before the show even began filming.

Vegetable posted:

This is basically how I feel. I love both pre-twist and post-twist The Good Place, but they feel like rather different shows.

I don't see the problem with this.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 23, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was fairly close to falling off the show in season 1 but I stuck to it for some reason. But season 2 so far is stellar. I feel like it's going to be like Parks and Rec where people don't even remember the first season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Kristen Bell and Ted Danson knew the whole time. As in, Schur specifically told only them.

Oh, good to know. My roommate was telling me nobody knew, but I watched it the first time with the twist in mind and it fit so well I had a hard time believing it wasn't planned. I thought Danson's performance just managed to work so well with it by luck or smth.

Like that would have been some seriously crazy luck. Roomie must have misread whatever article saying everyone else had no idea.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I literally guessed the season one finale "twist" as a joke when someone else asked me what I thought the twist was, after hearing nonstop, annoying praise of it, by thinking "what would be the stupidest, most obvious, and most cliche possible twist the show could go for?"

I said it as a literal joke because I didn't think TGP could be so intellectually insulting as to go with a twist that terrible but nope, it did. Exactly.

You know a shows twist is good when the shows creator has to do a bunch of post season metanarrative interviews explaining the twist's greater effects because it throws literally everything that happened before into doubt or disarray.

Classic Occ

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Christ almighty, this season of Ray Donovan is the darkest and most depressing, yet.

Some of the best work of Jon Voight’s career.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

Classic Occ

Lower those highbrows Milhouse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

Christ almighty, this season of Ray Donovan is the darkest and most depressing, yet.

Some of the best work of Jon Voight’s career.

It's been rough and uneven though.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

It's been rough and uneven though.

I agree. It seems like there are far too many subplots this season. And next week is the season finale, so I doubt even a third of those loose ends will get tied up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

esperterra posted:

Oh, good to know. My roommate was telling me nobody knew, but I watched it the first time with the twist in mind and it fit so well I had a hard time believing it wasn't planned. I thought Danson's performance just managed to work so well with it by luck or smth.

Like that would have been some seriously crazy luck. Roomie must have misread whatever article saying everyone else had no idea.

Yeah, most of the main cast was in the dark about it, but it was absolutely planned. There's video Kristen Bell took of them being told about it right before they filmed the big reveal that's pretty fantastic.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rarity posted:

Classic Occ

Ohhhhhhhh...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regy Rusty posted:

It didn't it blew up at the end of last season. You just weren't paying attention or something???

Probably. I'm going to go with it recently showing up on netflix. And apparently Justin McElroy was talking about it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Has anybody seen Wild Palms back in the day? I checked it out a couple years ago, but noped out after two episodes. Every now and then I think of revisiting it, because maybe it gets better later on? Or not?

e: reading the wikipedia page, oliver stone says it's similar to 1967's britih tv show "The Prisoner". never heard of that, sounds super-interesting

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 23, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Discovery has been renewed for season 2 on All Access.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not a surprise at all, considering that their Netflix licensing deal caused them to break even before the show even premiered.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It also isn't a bad show so far, except the pilot. I'm happy its sticking around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's definitely gotten better as it's gone on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of CBS All Access, I'm reading that even in the no-ad tier, they still interrupt the shows to show promos of other CBS shows? With the international licensing deal, is there a chance the show goes to Netflix in the US after the season finishes?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I doubt it given how hard they're trying to leverage new Trek as a selling point for All Access.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

precision posted:

Zoo is amazing.
Seems more like a bunch of super-hypocrites for the sake of plot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Speaking of CBS All Access, I'm reading that even in the no-ad tier, they still interrupt the shows to show promos of other CBS shows? With the international licensing deal, is there a chance the show goes to Netflix in the US after the season finishes?

I have only watched the first 2 episodes of the new Trek, but I have never seen an ad with that tier.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Stranger Things S2 reviews are out, here's the tally so far...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

esperterra posted:

The finale is literally what made me watch it so idk man. It works so well with everything before it despite apparently not being a planned twist. Watching the first season with the twist in mind made it twice as interesting to me.

Absolutely. I watched the first two episodes and gave up on it, until I heard the spoiled ending and then I had to watch it just to see how it fit together. It's so much better when you know what the endgame is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mike12345 posted:

Has anybody seen Wild Palms back in the day? I checked it out a couple years ago, but noped out after two episodes. Every now and then I think of revisiting it, because maybe it gets better later on? Or not?

e: reading the wikipedia page, oliver stone says it's similar to 1967's britih tv show "The Prisoner". never heard of that, sounds super-interesting

I recall liking it a lot when it came out (it was heavily inspired by William Gibson) but haven't revisited it myself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just went to a cinema screening of Cartoon Network’s miniseries Over the Garden Wall that my friend organised and it was such a great and delightful experience! Now is the perfect time to watch this series if you never have, it’s an actual masterpiece.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Just went to a cinema screening of Cartoon Network’s miniseries Over the Garden Wall that my friend organised and it was such a great and delightful experience! Now is the perfect time to watch this series if you never have, it’s an actual masterpiece.

It really is. I should rewatch it for this spooooky season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's on Hulu if anyone needs to know where you can watch it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

less laughter posted:

Stranger Things S2 reviews are out, here's the tally so far...

Average Rating: 7.89/10 :geno:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

That really is fantastic

E: Is the Will and Grace reboot as bad as I imagine it to be?

precision fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 23, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

That really is fantastic

I never watched it to begin with, but I've heard it's one of the rare revivals that didn't lose a step from people that did like it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rarity posted:

This ain't video game reviews, that's a good score.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

It's amazing. Other than an election-centric premiere that ended with them going 'wow you guys are annoying when you get preachy, let's never do that again' it's hardly missed a beat from the original. The cast's chemistry is as good as ever and the writing is fine.

Depends on if you liked the original at all. It's literally the same show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

This ain't video game reviews, that's a good score.

You don't get it man. That's 0.15 lower than the score of the first season. Confirmed garbage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do want to make a note to go read that 1 bad review after I binge the season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

It's amazing. Other than an election-centric premiere that ended with them going 'wow you guys are annoying when you get preachy, let's never do that again' it's hardly missed a beat from the original. The cast's chemistry is as good as ever and the writing is fine.

Depends on if you liked the original at all. It's literally the same show.

X-O posted:

I never watched it to begin with, but I've heard it's one of the rare revivals that didn't lose a step from people that did like it.

I remember liking the original a lot, so that's great news. To Hulu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Don't pay attention to mean averages. In fact, gently caress metascores of any stripe being regarded as an ultimate barometer of quality. Now, unlike Harry Brewis (AKA H. Bomberguy), I think it has a use as a general look on how the critical community feels about one thing or another, and even then it should be taken with a grain of salt for the reasons outlined in that essay. Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, and its ilk gave us discerning viewers an inch and we ended up taking a whole drat mile.

But with regards to mean scores in particular: Of the 23 reviews counted so far, less then half (11) have a quantifiable score attached to them, which means any number added to the mean is going to significantly alter the score at this point. In fact, in the time since that screencap was posted, that 7.89 turned into a more respectable 8.09. And there's only 23 critics in. As more takes get added, that number could easily drop to a 7.5 or rise to a 9.0 for reasons that have less to do with how much you'll like something than a cold hard number would imply.

Take the sole "rotten" review counted against the show right now: Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair. He's a solid critic, not some Armond White-esque contrarian. And you know this if you read his review because he tells you, right up front, that he loved the first season but eventually burned out on all the hype surrounding the show. Does that invalidate his review? Absolutely not. He's fair towards it, and it highlights that what may work for the many people who are down for more of what they loved about the first season might not be enough for those who really needed the show to throw more of a curveball this season. But that's only apparent if you read the loving thing. As far as Rotten Tomatoes is concerned, it's more grist for the mill—or it would be, if it didn't toss out everything that made the grist useful to begin with. Metascoring basically takes a pile of dust and pretends that it's flour.

If you wanna know how you're going to feel about this season, read the reviews. Most of the positive reviews point out that it gets off to a slow, maybe even messy start, and the "bigger" scale of it crowds out some of the characters. The reason why this doesn't bother those critics so much, however, is that the characters remained as fun to watch as ever, and it all comes together in a loving awesome finish. That might matter to you more or less, depending entirely on who you are and how you like your stories. And there's a bunch of contradictory opinions too: Daniel Fienberg thinks they handled Barb just right. Alan Sepinwall invoked Poochie when he started talking about Barb. People seem generally split on a standalone episode in the middle of the season. Stuff like that is what you find when you dig into the reviews. To me, summing up such a complex tapestry of opinions and feelings in one or two cold numbers is a loving loser's gambit, and the fact that it's done and so widely accepted only serves to invoke feelings of inferiority in anyone who dares to go against the grain.

I'm sorry if this comes off as pushy, but as a film lover and a hobbyist critic, Rotten Tomatoes kinda shits me off.

• Locked thread