Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weed and coffee.

He very personable, he does a lot of research. Anyone that's BFF's with Bryan Callen and Joey Diaz is fine by me.
His UFC stuff goes over my head but i like watching people wail on each other, so i let it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Castle has been over for a while now, Fillion has nothing but free time.

He was on the Nerdest podcast joking around that he is available for jobs.

Huh, I could have sworn it was still going, but it's not like I followed it. In that case I hope he finds something good to be in, I like him in general, just didn't care for Castle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has a cameo as Wonder Man in GotG 2 which is perfect.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

GreenNight posted:

There was a lot of she said he said on Castle, so who knows. People probably get under peoples skins after working with them for 8 years.

I do know he demanded raises for all his castmates when he got a new contract and seems to still be buddies with a lot of em.

There is a simple test you can always do when you hear a rumor like this. Look at their body of work. If they never work with the same actor(s) more than once, or the same director(s) more than once -- then they're probably not fun to work with. If they maintain strong ties to a wide variety of people and show up frequently as a main, guest, or cameo --- even on things that aren't budgeted at a scale that they would earn a living wage -- then they are probably not an rear end in a top hat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing another Dr Horrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

I've also read rumors that Katic was horrible to everyone. Whenever there's word of a dispute the internet will make up rumors about the side they don't like, so you never know what's real or not.

Sorry, do you mind me asking where your avatar gif is from? I know I saw the scene it's from in a show it's in recently but I just can't put a name to it and it's bugging me. :shobon:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Netflix teased Stranger Things season 2 during the Super Bowl. Drops Halloween. looks like they're stealing some stuff from NiN

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sorry, do you mind me asking where your avatar gif is from? I know I saw the scene it's from in a show it's in recently but I just can't put a name to it and it's bugging me. :shobon:

It's from episode 5 of The Good Place.

She's saying "Good person"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Joe Rogan refuses to admit that Alex Jones is putting on an act and that "10% of what he says is true" so, you know, :lol:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They have been friends for 17 years, he doesn't call people out for what they believe in. Even the crazy ones.

Pretty sure he(Joe) even mentioned in that interview, he climbed out of the rabbit hole he fell in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching the SB and uh, does anyone actually care about 24 without Jack Bauer?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone care about 24?

I thought 24 was basically propaganda to normalize the American public to torture and extrajudicial action by the state.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Snak posted:

Does anyone care about 24?

I thought 24 was basically propaganda to normalize the American public to torture and extrajudicial action by the state.

Not really, like half the time the President is the bad guy. So that's sort of a mixed message there. "Torture is cool, but also kill the government!".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first three seasons of 24 were pretty great and also Elisha Cuthbert.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Not really, like half the time the President is the bad guy. So that's sort of a mixed message there. "Torture is cool, but also kill the government!".

I mean, conservatives thought Obama was the bad guy. The whole show is basically "the ends justify the means because Keifer Suthrtland is the good guy". At least, that's what I hear. I've never watched it, and obviously have some bias against it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Watching the SB and uh, does anyone actually care about 24 without Jack Bauer?

Yes, because the best character, Tony Almeida, is back. Also Corey Hawkins is great and it has Jimmy Smits and Gerald McRaney. There's a lot to like in this new version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Yes, because the best character, Tony Almeida, is back. Also Corey Hawkins is great and it has Jimmy Smits and Gerald McRaney. There's a lot to like in this new version.

The commercials make it look boring as hell.

I HAVE TO STOP THESE TERRORISTS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks too young and scrawny. Guess I have to see him in action to really judge though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Looks too young and scrawny. Guess I have to see him in action to really judge though.

Scrawny? As compared to tiny Kiefer Sutherland? Really?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a knock off of a show that was already bad, don't get your hopes too high.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

It's a knock off of a show that was already bad, don't get your hopes too high.

Except it's actually a continuation of a show that was good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

I mean, conservatives thought Obama was the bad guy.

The villainous president, Charles Logan, was a staple of Season 5, which aired in 2006 -- just about lining it up with when the country started pushing back against the Bush Administration. Not that you're wrong, it was very much an "ends justify the means" kind of show; Kiefer Sutherland is actually a more liberal-minded guy, but Joel Surnow was/is a huge neo-conservative who would later try to create "the conservative answer to The Daily Show" with The 1/2 Hour News Hour. (Howard Gordon, who would eventually run the show in later years, identifies as a Libertarian.) And there was also that time when some sneering :siren: ACLU LAWYER :siren: actively facilitated terrorism by springing the bad guy out of CTU because :cry: HE HAS RIGHTS :cry:.

Still, the show's politics weren't as cut and dried as they may have seem on the surface, and the show even tried to walk back its pro-torture stance in season 7: First, by stating out loud, "Hey did you know torture is actually kinda bad?" Then in the long run by focusing more on the tragic nature of Jack Bauer and tying it directly to the work he did. (Live Another Day was some pretty intense poo poo, especially at the end.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 6, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not hating Shut Eye. Emmanulle Chriqui playing a lesbian hypnotist doesn't suck either.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

The villainous president, Charles Logan, was a staple of Season 5, which aired in 2006 -- just about lining it up with when the country started pushing back against the Bush Administration. Not that you're wrong, it was very much an "ends justify the means" kind of show; Kiefer Sutherland is actually a more liberal-minded guy, but Joel Surnow was/is a huge neo-conservative who would later try to create "the conservative answer to The Daily Show" with The 1/2 Hour News Hour. (Howard Gordon, who would eventually run the show in later years, identifies as a Libertarian.) And there was also that time when some sneering :siren: ACLU LAWYER :siren: actively assisted a terrorist plot by springing him out of CTU because :cry: HE HAS RIGHTS :cry:.

Still, the show's politics weren't as cut and dried as they may have seem on the surface, and the show even tried to walk back its pro-torture stance in season 7: First, by stating it out loud, and then in the long run by focusing more on the tragic nature of Jack Bauer and tying it directly to the work he did. (Live Another Day was some pretty intense poo poo, especially at the end.)

Yeah, I'm sure it's actually not that bad. It was just a big turnoff hearing about all the stuff that happened on the show while people in real life were trying to justify enhanced interrogation and gitmo and poo poo.

Shut Eye is pretty fun. Several great characters. Love "both" villains.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

24 had really specific situations where torture worked. If Jack Bauer didn't do it or threaten to do it in some of the early seasons there really would have been a deadly virus outbreak or nuclear explosion in a city. My favorite torture was the one where they captured a terrorist and pretended to kill his wife and kids one by one until he broke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But that's my point. Torture doesn't loving work. Fiction continuing to portray it as a necissary evil is the problem. By portraying torture as effective, it perpetuates the mindset that it is sometimes justified.

Edit: my favorite instance of fictional torture is in Alias, where Jennifer Garner's dad (i think) just suffocates someone to death, resuscitates them, and says "I just killed you. I'm gonna keep rekilling you until you tell me what I need to know" fuckin lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What was great about 24 was there was nothing like it previously. A show that took place in real time was pretty ground breaking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snak posted:

But that's my point. Torture doesn't loving work. Fiction continuing to portray it as a necissary evil is the problem. By portraying torture as effective, it perpetuates the mindset that it is sometimes justified.

Edit: my favorite instance of fictional torture is in Alias, where Jennifer Garner's dad (i think) just suffocates someone to death, resuscitates them, and says "I just killed you. I'm gonna keep rekilling you until you tell me what I need to know" fuckin lol.

Or maybe just blame the dumb people that take 24 as if it were something real instead of the people writing a show for entertainment. I also am strongly against torture in the real world. But I like watching Jack Bauer go all Jack Bauer because it's entertaining as hell. I'm an adult with common sense and can separate things I like to watch from views I hold in the real world like that. It's also why I find the idea of someone going around killing people that break the law in the real world to be really terrifying but will be first in line for the new Punisher show when it starts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Do we not have a 24 thread? Sad times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do we not have a 24 thread? Sad times.

Maybe after tonight if it's compelling enough.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Maybe after tonight if it's compelling enough.

We already got an Edgar Stiles name drop! And holy poo poo the wife rules.

I mean they already hosed up the real time thing because CTU lady teleported from wherever she was to CTU in like 5 minutes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I guess I'm digging it. Teddy Sears is absolutely going to be the bad guy. I don't know if I'm buying the "every agency is compromised" thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Well I guess I'm digging it. Teddy Sears is absolutely going to be the bad guy. I don't know if I'm buying the "every agency is compromised" thing.

As long as they don't devolve to another nuke and they play up the chase / thriller of this guy chasing after terrorist cells while political / CTU fuckery happens, I'm down.

Also I'm saying Jimmy Smits is the baddy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Annoying teenage drama side story. DAMMIT.

:twentyfour:

e: I'm probably never going to watch this show again after tonight. Really, I just feel burnt out on 24. I did rewatch the first season a few months ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I do kinda hate how everyone has this unneeded sense of urgency and everything needs to happen now now now because a ton of poo poo needs to happen every hour for the show but I would love to see a show take the real time approach and kinda spread things naturally throughout the day.

I think the first season really had the feel of a real day passing. The second and third season really stretched the idea and it went off the rails after that. They were still fun as hell but it's crazy how they don't bother embracing the core concept and really play with the idea that it takes time to travel in a city and multiple stories not needing to connect every episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I do kinda hate how everyone has this unneeded sense of urgency and everything needs to happen now now now because a ton of poo poo needs to happen every hour for the show but I would love to see a show take the real time approach and kinda spread things naturally throughout the day.

That would be boring as hell probably.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-O posted:

That would be boring as hell probably.

I love boring as hell shows that play the long game :negative:

EDIT: holy poo poo they're upping the bullshit surveillance / magic information delivery systems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's kind of weird to see Kathryn Prescott playing a high schooler when playing a high schooler on Skins 8 years ago was her big break.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same deal with the daughter from The Mick. she's like 29 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think Kal Penn was supposed to be a teenager in S6.

• Locked thread