Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

There was a popular book a few years ago called Heat that's all about working for Mario Batali and yeah someone that runs an empire of restaurants in NYC has to be a prick to make it that far.

99% of executive chefs are cunts. It's scientific fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Awww, I just read that there won't be a 2017 Wipe :( .

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

99% of ALL chefs are cunts. It's scientific fact.

fixed

(i used to be a chef myself and yes i'm counting myself)

so today i learned that Guiding Light has 18,000 episodes. Do you think there's anyone alive that has watched them all?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

so today i learned that Guiding Light has 18,000 episodes. Do you think there's anyone alive that has watched them all?

Does that include when it was a radio show?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is Black Sails good overall? I watched the first couple eps of the first season and enjoyed it but wasn't able to keep up with it. With the holiday season I could use a new show to binge.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is Black Sails good overall? I watched the first couple eps of the first season and enjoyed it but wasn't able to keep up with it. With the holiday season I could use a new show to binge.

Yes, the first season is kind of a slow burn but things really pick up in S2. John Silver goes from annoying to awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's got some of the best action and stunt work I've ever seen on a TV show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was iffy on Black Sails early on but it rounds into a really good show with some really fun scenery and action stuff. I never did see the final season and its on my mediumish list of shows to binge/rewatch/finish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hell to the yes. It drags a little in the middle while some pieces get moved around for the endgame but since you're binging it goes by pretty quick, just think of it as the slow ramping part of the roller coaster before things really take off.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Awesome thank you all! I'm a sucker for just about anything pirate-related but didn't want to start it up again if the show took a nosedive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Black Sails is lowkey one of the better recent shows, it's about as good and similarly as lowkey as Turn

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ohhh Wormwood is on Netflix now, 6 part documentary about MKULTRA from Errol Morris. it's really good so far.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Black Sails' first season is a bit slow, most of the action is contained in episodes 1 and the last two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as Season 1 is slow the whole New Providence setting really worked for me and I got a kick out of deciphering the mix of history, Treasure Island, and original stuff as well as trying to figure out the mystery of Flint and what the hell kind of man he was.

Man, now I really want to drop my other binges and go rewatch/finish Black Sails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwEmQeaXxI

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's worth watching for the life and times of, The Coat!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I asked here a long time ago what the next TV series I should buy for my dad should be, and after a lot of your good advice, I went with my initial gut instinct and purchased him Justified. I think he'll love it, especially as a show to watch while he walks on the treadmill.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

nate fisher posted:

I use to be a big fan of Roseanne, but she is completely unhinged as a right wing fanatic now. So gently caress her and I hope her show bombs.

Yeah, I read some poo poo about her tweeting that trump was "a hannukah miracle" and thanking him on behalf of "The Jews"

I thought for sure it had to be sarcasm but then I learned that it was not :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

Yeah, I read some poo poo about her tweeting that trump was "a hannukah miracle" and thanking him on behalf of "The Jews"

I thought for sure it had to be sarcasm but then I learned that it was not :(

She's pretty medicated, i saw her on the Rubin Report recently, she was.... entertaining.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those who haven't finished Black Sails really need to go back and do that because the ending is amazing. Captain Flint's ultimate fate is just some good rear end TV.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I guess during Occupy, she was calling for the decapitation of Wall Street bankers. She's not well and flits from popular movement to popular movement.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

I guess during Occupy, she was calling for the decapitation of Wall Street bankers. She's not well and flits from popular movement to popular movement.

What's wrong with merking bankers?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lycus posted:

It seems it was Obama that broke her. I think deep down inside she couldn’t handle a black president. Also she is 100% anti-Muslim.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I watched the first ep of Black Sails and man even if I didn't enjoy the show I could watch that title sequence every day for the rest of my life.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Black Sails, Spartacus, and Party Down are my 3 favorite things Starz has done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I asked here a long time ago what the next TV series I should buy for my dad should be, and after a lot of your good advice, I went with my initial gut instinct and purchased him Justified. I think he'll love it, especially as a show to watch while he walks on the treadmill.

Great choice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Treadmills were originally invented as a torture device

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So in Parks & Rec the 26 year old who acts like a surly teenager said she hates teenagers

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

Black Sails, Spartacus, and Party Down are my 3 favorite things Starz has done.

Spartacus and Party Down are both fantastic, looking forward to my new fun pirate show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GobiasIndustries posted:

So I watched the first ep of Black Sails and man even if I didn't enjoy the show I could watch that title sequence every day for the rest of my life.

I think it has the legit best intro for a TV show in probably a decade or two. I never once skipped it. Bear McCreary has an amazing amount of talent.

That hurdy-gurdy is just fuckin' cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXQ0z9NCl8

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So in Parks & Rec the 26 year old who acts like a surly teenager said she hates teenagers

I'm mentally about 14, and there's nothing I hate worse than highschoolers and college students.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Awww, I just read that there won't be a 2017 Wipe :( .

2017 is legitimately the worst year :(

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

X-O posted:

I think it has the legit best intro for a TV show in probably a decade or two. I never once skipped it. Bear McCreary has an amazing amount of talent.

That hurdy-gurdy is just fuckin' cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXQ0z9NCl8

I figure a lot of the goons might consider this band tacky and bad but I love them and how the hurdy gurdy sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRy4vcSX4k

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Snak posted:

I'm mentally about 14, and there's nothing I hate worse than highschoolers and college students.

Because they remind you that while still an awful child inside you’re still an adult an as such have responsibilities and serious consequences for acting like a high schooler

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm not much of a dan harmon fan but i just randomly stumbled across this and it's hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdHBP6mgdE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that clip a whole bunch

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sounds like a typical angry Youtuber rant about a dumb movie nobody cares about

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now You See Me is actually fantastic

I mean, it's really stupid, but also fantastic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That Harmon video just made me feel like he's Kevin Smith For People Who Consider Themselves Smart.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
How come April got two oh gosh I wish I could work in something I actually loved and I actually love really weird dumb zany things and one normal thing that makes sense, actually, plotlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And the final season is a flash forward to 2017 and there’s a joke about the Game of Thrones finale being that night lmao

• Locked thread