Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I watched six seasons of P&R and stopped, and I was fine with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
This season of Search Party is pure millennial Fargo and is amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did 5 seasons and felt the same. Then I heard the last season went all sci-fi so I watched that.

I'd say about 75% of the time I stop a show a couple seasons in once I get enough. It can still be great, or even get better than what I watched. But for certain shows I just get my fill and am okay with moving on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

I watched six seasons of P&R and stopped, and I was fine with that.

Season 7 is better than 5 and 6 (and 1, ofc)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think I remember a single scene from season 7. Show got bad.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

The last season was real good and especially the last episode. If you like the characters the last episode was a wonderful sendoff.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The Librarians is so much cheesy fun. It's a shame it isn't more popular 😭

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Vegetable posted:

It has "Ron and Leslie", which is one of the best episodes of any season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
No top ten this year?

Have i missed the hype?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, cheers. Totes missed it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I just finished episode 4 of season 2 and, holy poo poo, you're not wrong. I'm really glad I stuck through the somewhat unfocused and meandering season 1 for this (which in retrospect was carefully setting up everyone's dominoes to topple in the best-worst way).

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 18, 2017

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Kevin Smith fans tend to think of themselves as smarter and better than the average film goer.

Every group of people think of themselves as smarter than "the others". Go to Alabama and talk to a group of Roy Moore voters and they will complain about the morons who aren't smart enough to understand that he's just a persecuted saint.

lelandjs posted:

So Ken Jeong played the Christmas tree salesman who also, inexplicably, owns the Chinese restaurant.

I don't see what strange about that. I know a teacher who sells Christmas trees.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So Dan Harmon just does prewritten screaming rants on stage and people pay money and spend the night to listen to him? I almost can't blame him for being an arrogant rear end in a top hat if he's apparently getting such positive reinforcement for it.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The last season was real good and especially the last episode. If you like the characters the last episode was a wonderful sendoff.

That's kind of the rub. It's fine to watch a few seasons of a sitcom and decide you've seen all the jokes. You're probably 90% right. If you keep watching a show like P&R or The Office it's because you care about the characters and want to see how their stories resolve.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 18, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

So Dan Harmon just does prewritten screaming rants on stage and people pay money and spend the night to listen to him? I almost can't blame him for being an arrogant rear end in a top hat if he's apparently getting such positive reinforcement for it.

I tried to like his podcast for a while, but just gave up because it kinda sucks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

That's kind of the rub. It's fine to watch a few seasons of a sitcom and decide you've seen all the jokes. You're probably 90% right. If you keep watching a show like P&R or The Office it's because you care about the characters and want to see how their stories resolve.

True. But despite dropping out of both P&R and The Office, I did care about the characters, and stuck around to see how their stories resolved. The first time, the second time, the third time...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Yes, thank you! I needed a good one line pitch for this show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd be happy to never see Alec Baldwin's Trump impression ever again

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've never seen it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

I've never seen it.

“I don’t even own a TV”

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

For more than one reason I agree with this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Same, but not because I dislike his impression.

It isn't very good though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Same

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife found Royal Pains on Netflix and started watching it for background noise and it's ... not bad? Given that I've spent literally two calendar months in the hospital over the past few years, an ED doc being a wizard is kind of hilarious, but the cast chemistry really makes up for it.

Paulo Costanzo absolutely needs to play Jerry Seinfeld in the inevitable biopic, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Royal Pains is one of those era USA shows that is a perfectly entertaining procedural about a _____ wizard surrounded by a charming cast that eventually you just get bored with and forget it exists. White Collar, Psych, Burn Notice, Suits. I enjoyed every one of them and never finished one of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

Royal Pains is one of those era USA shows that is a perfectly entertaining procedural about a _____ wizard surrounded by a charming cast that eventually you just get bored with and forget it exists. White Collar, Psych, Burn Notice, Suits. I enjoyed every one of them and never finished one of them.

You should watch Shut Eye, it's an R rated version of that, down to starring Jeffrey Donovan

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

Still USA has come a long way from the days of USA Up All Night and the risky titled Silk Stalkings.

Edit: The wife and I crushed season 1 of Better Things in no time. You can imagine our disappointment when we realized right before the last 2 episodes that Hulu only had season 1 streaming, but you can imagine our joy when the AppleTV TV app told us after the finale that season 2 was available on FXNOW. It was a Christmas miracle. Their TV app that combines everything is pretty awesome. If they would only add Netflix streaming to the TV app it would be perfect.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

USA's had a nice little growth from the really bad days to the pretty paint-by-numbers procedurals they kind of established their schedule with to now doing more adventurous stuff. I've only actually seen the first seasons of Colony and Mr. Robot and have Damnation on my DVR waiting for me but they seem like they're really swinging harder for the fences now and trying to find their "prestige" tv.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

White Collar I 100% agree with you, the last season was so unmemorable I watched it and can't remember how it ended.

Suits on the other hand is fantastic. It's like they started with the classic USA ensemble kinda-lite-drama with and after season 1 decided to go all in on attempting prestige drama and got better as it went on. Season 1 is not aggressively mediocre but if you don't get really invested in the cast you probably won't keep watching, which is a shame because from Season 2 on it gets a lot better and avoids a lot of the typical things you'd expect to see on those types of shows.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Has anyone checked out Witches of Oz? The pilot is full on gorgonzola and the lead actress is aggressively twee but the male cast chock full of big (sci-fi big) names. I can't quite decide if it is good or not

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Suits seemed to kind of bridge the gap between the procedural era and the "prestige" era so I can definitely buy that its more of the latter these days than the former. I enjoyed it but I lost track of it after a few seasons and have never really been interested enough to stick with a rewatch/catchup. I always kind of peter out.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Did anyone else think season two of Master of None was insufferable? Wow!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah it was cool. I still prefer the first, but 2 was great too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's stuff i like about it, and I thought the first season was generally pretty smart and enjoyable, but the fun stuff has been completely buried under braindead navel-gazing by season two, and also I want to punch Dev in the face all the time. He's such a spoiled little poo poo and the new york episode was such sappy jerk off bullshit. I quit watching it a little bit after that when the cupcake show wasnt good enough for Dev and the next episode was gearing up to be another "concept" episode

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

White Collar I 100% agree with you, the last season was so unmemorable I watched it and can't remember how it ended.

Neal and Peter got in with a heretofore-unmentioned crime syndicate (Pink Panthers?), then get betrayed by Keller, who is of course working for them ... and I think he's revealed to be working undercover for Interpol.

That last year got so stupid.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

Suits on the other hand is fantastic. It's like they started with the classic USA ensemble kinda-lite-drama with and after season 1 decided to go all in on attempting prestige drama and got better as it went on. Season 1 is not aggressively mediocre but if you don't get really invested in the cast you probably won't keep watching, which is a shame because from Season 2 on it gets a lot better and avoids a lot of the typical things you'd expect to see on those types of shows.

What? Season 1 was fun and interesting. Seasons 2-?? are just endless machines of sappy melodrama and the same musical stingers getting played on repeat as characters walk in and out of rooms. Suits didn't become good, it just turned into Gray's Anatomy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like that the show about the FBI is somehow not called Suits. And there's apparently like 80 episodes of a CIA show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Suits name made sense early on when the drama of the show was that Mike was a stoner who was playing at lawyer by putting on his friend's suits played against the big stylish part of the show featuring Harvey's high lifestyle. But that naturally faded away because the characters actually grew.

I don't know if they continued to grow though, because like I said I lost track with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Suits has the problem where the characters can never actually grow, no matter what happens to them. Also the initial premise of the show, that Mike wasn't really a lawyer, became an albatross around its neck because they could never get past it. The show really needed to take one of the season breaks to retool and time skip ahead so they could just move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think I eventually tapped out when they were in the perpetual circle of all the "Mike's going to get exposed!" and "I can't believe you did this with him!" Like at one point Mike stopped being a fake lawyer to make that all go away but then it just came back up again anyway. I don't even know what the state of things was when I last watched. I just know Mike was on the brink of being exposed, Harvey was morally icky about it all while also being very arrogant, Rachel and Donna were probably really upset about everything, and Louis was probably torn on what to do.

Because that was always the state of things.

I also never finished Burn Notice and can't remember at what layer of conspiracy Mike had uncovered about who REALLY burned him I left it at. Or which time Neal stole something on White Collar to keep him indebted to the FBI. Or on Royal Pains which... actually I don't remember the plot of Royal Pains. I think he just liked doing house visits to rich people.

• Locked thread