Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I usually don't like Instagram ads, but one of them told me that the third season of Man Seeking Woman debuts on January 4th after Always Sunny, so they're not all bad. I don't think I'll make a thread about it but I do wholeheartedly recommend it.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Incidentally Chozen (the FX animated series) is still the only show that I've seen in the US that dropped 'oval office' in the original broadcast (albeit on basic cable) and nobody noticed it.
Chozen was terrible and nobody watched it, so that's why no one noticed or cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hell, I'll watch both! I ought to watch some Always Sunny right now if I want to fulfill my goal of watching all the episodes before the next season starts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Timby posted:

Just saw that Archer is getting moved over to FXX. I bet they're happy they got that three-season renewal now...
It was gonna be on FXX last season, but they changed their minds a couple months before it debuted. The ratings were still down, so I figured they'd stick to the original plan for the next season.

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, everyone don't forget that the best show you're not watching, Man Seeking Woman, also starts up again tonight.
I thought Always Sunny was funny, unlike some of the people in the thread, but the Man Seeking Woman premiere was funnier. I do hope Mike gets more screentime this season, though. Josh sure knows how to snag cute women, doesn't he? Plus, I noticed that the gay male roommate was the same guy who plays Matthew on Difficult People.

raditts: I wouldn't say there's been an Always Sunny episode that bizarre, but last season Always Sunny did an episode on a ski mountain that was supposed to evoke '80s teen comedies, so it's not the first time they've broken formula.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

How'd South Park hold up over the years?
While I also haven't watched a new episode of South Park in a long time, I've heard that they're not doing the "truth is somewhere in the middle" episodes anywhere close to the degree that they used to. At the same time, I can't imagine that a lot of the episodes have aged well, since it's a show so focused on the celebrity or current event of the moment.

If you do want to watch newer episodes of South Park, bear in mind that the most recent two seasons have season-long arcs, so you can't just jump right in.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

This year: they tried the same thing but doing it around the election, and it was a massive loving mistake that started falling apart and never recovered. It even felt like it lost most of the people who were really liking it to start with. A real shame, and probably one of the worst (if not the worst) season they've done.
Then I'm going to have to ask my friend what her final verdict of it was, because when it started out she kept saying how hilarious it was. Also, wasn't quitting Twitter a big part of the story arc?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

I really like Man Seeking Woman
"Take a picture of the food. Eating it is by far second."

No Eric Andre in that episode, sadly, but I like to think he was there in spirit with all those ranch dressing jokes.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 13, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It only makes that Lin is a West Wing fan, because that show and Hamilton are both what haughty lib dipshits consider to be the height of 21st century pop culture

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Weekly reminder to watch Man Seeking Woman if you haven't already.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is the first week that I preferred Always Sunny to Man Seeking Woman, but it's still comfortably in "watch it" status. Hopefully there's a next season for it so someone can make a thread about it.

Mu Zeta posted:

No one will remember La La Land in 6 months.
But it's going to win Best Picture because Academy voters love themselves more than anything else. It's why Birdman and The Artist (that's the name of the silent film with John Goodman and the dog, right?) won the years they were nominated. poo poo, I prefer biopics as Oscar bait over that ego-stroking crap, even though I hear that La La Land is actually good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Woof woof cowabunga thanks for the blowjob!" The third part of Man Seeking Woman was the highlight of the season so far.

GreenNight posted:

I pay a lot of money for Dish and they don't even offer CW HD anymore. Something about arguing with the carrier. I can watch it with the CW app but it still chaps my rear end. I enjoy fast forwarding through all the commercials god drat it.
Not even Comcast gets in as many disputes as Dish Network.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Speaking of dogs and tv, did Downward Dog actually air? That show where the promo made it look like the talking dog and the lady wanted to gently caress?
Uhhhhh, what

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Aren't half of those "Netflix Originals" just non-US shows carried on Netflix because they're not on US cable?
I know that Pacific Heat is, but that's a show that's best left unmentioned

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The last season of Review will start on March 16.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

precision posted:

The final season of Bates Motel starts up in 4 days. I'm catching up on it now, I finished season 3 and am a few eps into 4. The show has always been great but holy gently caress, it's been ramping up fantastically and I'm pretty confident things are gonna get super nuts in the best ways. Freddy Highmore and Vera Farmiga are phenomenal.
S4E9 is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever. Freddie Highmore really steals the show in that season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

Freddie Highmore is unbelievably good on that show and it's a shame it's never garnered him serious awards consideration.
Boy I'll say. Both him and Vera Farmiga kill it (no pun intended).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So, I think last night's Man Seeking Woman completed the collection with Bruce McCulloch as the ER doctor. They've had all the Kids in the Hall guest star.
I'm not a Kids in the Hall buff, so that was lost on me. But it's a cool little bone to throw to those who are.

I guess that was this season's "Woman Seeking Man" episode even though the credits didn't say so. I giggled like an idiot at them drinking yak piss. I do wonder if they're planning on doing any more seasons after this one. Tying Josh down sorta flies in the face of the show's original premise.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Currently at my parents' house as I'm watching their dogs over the weekend. They're still here and we're watching TV and it is driving me insane how their big HD TV is set up with all the terrible motion smoothing settings on. Going to wait until they leave tomorrow and fix it. We'll see if they ever notice.
Depends on how old they are. My dad is in his late 60s and can't tell the difference between a football game in HD and the same one in standard definition. It was even more egregious when he was watching hockey in SD, a sport that owes being watchable on TV to the advent of HD TV.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I know I said it last year but man, this year's season finale for Man Seeking Woman really seemed like a series finale. It's going to be kind of hard to continue the show under that name when Josh just got married. Also they redid the raining fish gag from the first episode which seems like it was meant to bookend things.
I bet that they made it like that just in case it doesn't get renewed, so people can point to that episode as something that wrapped things up nicely. That was the case with the season two finale of Legit, except that it came out that FXX actually did cancel it a couple days before it aired. And I think Ugly Americans on Comedy Central was the same way.

Regardless, it was a great episode. The season was a bit off because it's about Josh's relationship with Lucy and not about Josh dating around, but it was never a wasted watch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hate how half the articles on AV Club have just been "TRUMP BAD" since the middle of last year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

By the way, Review is back on for its three-episode final season. It's still hilarious pitch-black comedy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

When was it announced that it was only gonna be three episodes? Because I got all loving excited yesterday when I realized it was back on and then today I found out that I was already a third of the way through the season.
They announced it when they announced it was getting a third season, so it's been known for a while. It's just so easy to forget because Comedy Central didn't announce it with a lot of fanfare, and they did it a few months after the end of the second season.

I'd make a thread for Review, but we've got two more episodes to go.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688
That should come with a seizure warning.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"You can't give zero stars!"
"Well I give zero fucks!"

One more episode of Review. Sigh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wouldn't say the ending for Review was perfect, but it ended on an appropriately bleak note. It's hard to wrap a show like that up in a tidy bow when you've got only three episodes to do it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.
That's unfortunate. It got a lot of jabs for being "Twitter the TV show" but it was a good way to kill time after The Daily Show and Colbert.

Speaking of bad Comedy Central shows, here's a clip from Problematic, which will hopefully be the turning point in the whole "socially conscious comedy" phase that we're in right now. You're stronger than I am if you can make it through that entire video.

https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/854801786292621314

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snak posted:

I strongly dislike Oprah.

She pushed that The Secret bullshit really hard.
She also gave a platform to Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, and that fraud who wrote A Million Little Pieces. It's good that she's not on daytime TV anymore.

Echoing Detroiters as a good show, even though the season finale had ludicrous amounts of product placement. Then again, it's a show about an advertising agency, so I suppose it comes with the territory.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Can we talk for a moment about the hilarity/stupidity of the cast and creators of The Handmaid's Tale trying to downplay the fact that it's feminist?
Does anyone outside the kind of people who write and comment on articles for AV Club, Jezebel, etc. even care?

Gaunab posted:

People were talking about how Trump being President would be good for comedy but it just makes some comedians lazy.
If anyone listens to Cum Town, this is exactly what Nick Mullen said would happen. In this era of "good politics = good comedy," it's going to get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better. On the other hand, Nick was one of the writers for Problematic, so I guess that all goes out the window when you're making money.

Supposedly, Kasher doesn't even believe that cultural appropriation is a crisis. It's very easy to ride the wave and cynically exploit it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

The Gong Show is something that's really overdue for coming back as it's a pretty great concept. That gimmick host thing is a bit weird though.
Bringing back The Gong Show with a made-up character as host sounds more up Comedy Central's alley, not a network's.

Speaking of Comedy Central, I recently heard about The President Show, and it sounds awful. They did a better take on the concept almost 15 years ago with that Jiminy Glick show. Similarly, Problematic is a (somehow) worse version of that Colin Quinn show from the same older era of CC. Outside of Detroiters, has there been a good new show on that channel this year? My friend recommended Jeff and Some Aliens and it's not good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Detroiters season finale had way too much product placement, but when it's a show about a bush-league ad agency, that's to be expected. Also the imitation of the average Detroit-based commercial was spot-on.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Snak posted:

I finally watched the most recent ep of Silicon Valley.

I'm not super thrilled with the direction of the plot, but I will never get tired of Gavin Belson getting hosed with
It's hilarious so far, but it needs more Gilfoyle.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't Last Man Standing always a Friday night show? If ABC is losing money on any show on that night, it deserves to get axed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought this was going to be the last season of 2 Broke Girls and the last episode was a proper send-off. I remember when it debuted and Todd VanDerWerff, then of AV Club, believed that this was going to be the sitcom of the Occupy generation. As it became increasingly obvious that it was going to be another dumb CBS sitcom, he gradually lost his mind in the weekly episode reviews. That was funnier than anything on 2 Broke Girls.

Postal Parcel posted:

And with the cancellation of Zorn, will FOX just loving bring Bob's back into the warmth of 8-10 and stop trying to ditch the "animation domination" label?
Almost certainly not. How many Sunday shows in the 8:30 slot have fallen on their asses now? I've lost count.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derrick Beckles and Eric Andre are teaming up for a new Adult Swim show "Mostly 4 Millennials." Which if you've seen anything by either of those two know that this will be a funny nightmare.
I don't know who Derrick Beckles is, but for anything Eric Andre does, I'll be there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If The Eric Andre Show is done, at least they got to investigate 311 on the finale.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He interviewed some Instagram models a few months ago
I don't remember seeing that, but I do follow him on Instagram and that's where I found out he's dating Rosario Dawson. Good for him!

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm really sad that there's no Bob's Burgers thread where we can talk all about the massive 100+ song soundtrack that dropped earlier this week.
Have I got some good news for you!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw an ad on the subway today for The Jim Jeffries Show. Judging by the picture on the ad (Jim holding a newspaper that's on fire), it looks like yet another "comedian talks about current events" show that's so prevalent on Comedy Central and other channels. Someday, there will be a market correction on those kinds of shows, because they're arguably more concerned with making a point and being right than being funny. But as it stands, CC is stuck in a rut and trying to replicate the success of Inside Amy Schumer and Broad City without knowing why audiences love those shows. It's similar to how over ten years ago, they were fixated with "edgy" comedy shows by cranking out half-assed attempts at Chappelle's Show.

It's a shame, because I like Jim Jeffries's standup, and I also thought that Legit was a great show. Too bad that the second season was on FXX and nobody watched it, it added a lot of heart to the central concept.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seth MacFarlene is more than capable of being funny, but his long track record of the opposite obscures that fact.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

swickles posted:

Yes and no. Like you can tell what seasons of what show he was more active on just in terms of quality. I think his movie career has been kind of a bust, and even then I would say Ted was average with a few good jokes, not bad.
I think we can both agree that the quality of a given Seth MacFarlene project is inversely proportional to how much influence he has over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

X-O posted:

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV. I still don't quite know why Mike Myers is playing a fake host for it.
Yeah, it feels like an SNL sketch. It would feel more natural if he were being himself, but Mike Myers is known for having really bizarre demands in productions he's involved with and throwing a fit when he doesn't get his way.

• Locked thread