Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good? I'm used to shows that have bad starts before getting good, so I'm still keeping an open mind, but I kind of want to know how much more of this I'm in for...

It starts out as a standard procedural with some interesting B-plot, then the B-plot starts taking over the show. "When it gets good" really depends on how much you buy into the procedural part of things.

E: personally I watched it off and on for a couple of seasons, stopped because something else was on that timeslot (I think) and came back for season 5 at the insistence of my family who had kept with it and things were wonderfully insane by then so I caught back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, his most famous role is just him getting tortured to death for an hour and a half. :v:

He watched [insert movie here] too?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snak posted:

Just started S2 of Person of Interest. It's officially good now.

Out of curiosity, what did the turnaround for you?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Comedy option: Midsomer Murders

Better: Vera. I just interpret the plot from the visuals and let those impenetrable accents wash over me like white noise.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So, Amazon has announced that they're doing the adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens to be released next year but in an interesting twist Gaiman will be writing all the episodes himself and will be serving as showrunner. While he's done some writing for TV before this is most he's been hands on with a production.

Given Gaiman's stated feelings about the book and collaborating with Pratchett and getting a note after his death asking Gaiman to make it anyway without him and all that, the phrase "cold dead hands" probably came up in negotiations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

trash person posted:

Is every CW casting call just, 'Note, must be hot as poo poo.'

Yes. Most TV shows cast models as "normal people", but CW uses underwear models.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Two things would make this better. Make it subversive as gently caress by outwardly touting how great this surveillance and millions poured into tech are, while simultaneously showing how hosed up Chicago is getting because of it.

The preview trailer back howevermany months ago ended with APB beacons showing up unexpectedly all over the city. I'm hoping the show winds up taking that swerve and running with it to some messy places. On the other hand it could be "this is just as awesome as before!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

less laughter posted:

Just announced:
(Castlevania)

:tviv:

What a horrible night to have a slow bandwidth? I'm sure something better can be workshopped before it arrives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is the old Connections TV series available online legally anywhere?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bentacos posted:

James Corden's biggest fault is that he is not Craig Ferguson.

Ferguson was lightning in a bottle. I don't think even he could recreate what he had on that show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chop Sunni posted:

Which episode of Agents of Shield was the showdown on the alien planet where Ward is possessed? I can't remember if it was a season or mid-season finale and want to pick it back up.
Mid-season finale for season... are we on 4 now? Season N-1.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Also I can't discuss OITNB without posting my favorite scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO94rhKJAR8

drat. I was wary during the first half of that scene because I have no clue about the show and I thought it was some ha-ha con joke, but then that turn and drat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

ahhh crap, Bill Paxton you died, you gently caress!

i'll always remember you for your most famous film. Twister.

I've got the fish heads song on loop in his honor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Did something actually interesting/funny happen, or at the end of a long night did someone just botch reading a card?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The other thing I remember Gargoyles having was a bunch of Shakespeare references.

That and having a whole lot of Star Trek actors appearing in recurring roles (Frakes most famously playing the main villain).

I'm not sure how much was coincidence (by which I also count "actors from the same TV show were looking for other work at the same time") or if it was folks bringing aquaintances in on purpose, but yeah. Riker as Xanatos, Troi as Desdemona were the big ones, but there were a lot of others as recurring characters or just an extended arc. Janeway, Data, Uhura, Sisko...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently the bird is actually dying and this is its literal swan song. :(

There's one wildcat sanctuary mini-episode (not sure what to call it, the fillers that public broadcasting puts between shows since they don't have commercials) that ends with a lynx doing a "cute" growl-moan at the camera stuck in its face. Anyone who speaks cat can recognize it as a "get the gently caress away from me I am seriously not comfortable with this" noise, which kinda ruins the mood.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

If that was the real ending the show would still be worth watching.

Also the gold standard for a show with a lovely ending is BSG

My favorite is The Finder. It got canned after the first season (pretty justifiably, I think I was one of about five people who watched it) with one character on the run from a roma criminal gang, two characters disbarred/off the force and facing criminal charges, and the main character in prison with the implication that he'd go completely insane without an outlet for his Finding skills. Intended to be a cliffhanger season finale, it turned into a very downer ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Had a long weekend with the parents and we wound up getting hooked on The Crown. Neat little drama. Parents found it interesting to see a show about something that happened within their lifetimes and they'd been partially aware of before (Dad for example was a tween when Elizabeth was crowned but remembers his parents going to a friend's at something like 3AM to watch it and how much of an impact it made on them).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think it's about time to replace my 20 year-old CRT and bunny-ears. What's the "good enough" tier of TVs these days for watching the news and other broadcast TV? 1080p LCD?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You can get a good 40" 1920x1080 TCL TV with Roku from Amazon for about $270

That's about 20 inches more than I need. I'm looking for something on the "computer monitor with an antenna jack" side of things and will be headed to the store to browse tomorrow. I just don't know what the line is right now between "useful tech" (digital for example, which is of course universal now) and "paying for the privilege of having the best tech" (4K resolution, OLED, stuff like that)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

Don't worry about any of that. If the TV is flat and less then $100, buy it. Good TVs are dirt cheap these days and if you're looking for something computer monitor sized you shouldn't be paying more than $100. Element is a good cheap brand and you can get one brand new for $80 at Target.

That's what I thought. Once burned (got Rambus RAM in my computer for the approx. one year it was a thing, at which point upgrades became much more expensive than DDR, and also grew up back when changing standards hadn't normalized on things like universal plugs), forever shy of just going out and getting something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

Oh my, I had the same thing happen. That was the last PC I bought prefab. Suck a dick Dell.

Same folks. I think Dell were the ones who were trying to make it a thing in desktops when everyone else was busy standardizing. I've had nightmares after that of "everything uses GDHQ ports now, didn't you make sure that had some when you bought it?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I actually have two of those 40" units, one of which is my primary computer monitor.

Do you use it from across the room? I think I'd go cross-eyed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, they basically embrace being a cheesy bad show, and have cast both willing and able to get in scenery-chewing competitions. I'm surprised the bad guys can find time to get anything done in between smug staring competitions.

E: I mean, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOGJ81faAV8 is a thing that actually aired. Tells you what you're in for pretty well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wormil posted:

But if you really want to watch the best interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, find The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes from the 80's with Jeremy Brett. I didn't buy into the hype for a long time until it came on Netflix several years ago and now I understand why people say Brett is the best Sherlock.

I watched those all the time as a kid and he's simply wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wow, this premiere is reminding my why I liked Prison Break back in the first season. I hope they manage to keep it tight..

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I loved MST3K as a kid so I'll probably check out the Netflix version eventually for the hell of it.

It makes me wonder, is there a place to watch the old ones? I see one season on Netflix and a bunch of YouTube but a bunch more deleted. I assume since it was on like a dozen channels, was cancelled and revived a bunch, and features other movies that it's an impossible rights maze?

The ones on Netflix (aside from the new season) are more of a Greatest Hits collection (for certain values of "greatest", Manos is there. Be warned: not even the riffing can save that movie, watch at your own risk). I think Youtube used to have a bunch officially uploaded, but I donno what the current status of that is. You're right that it's a rights nightmare, I think they've managed to get all but 5-10 of them out on DVDs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snak posted:

I strongly dislike Oprah.

She pushed that The Secret bullshit really hard.

My mom sent that to me. For my reaction when I opened the care package, imagine something like discovering a pod in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Mom means well, and she's no dummy, but she tends to latch onto bits of things (in this case, "a positive attitude can help you spot good things in life when they come along") without realizing all the woo layered on top of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Bought a digital antenna a few years back, didn't use it because ABC was the only network it picked up outside of small regional TV stations. Kinda forgot about it until I moved my TV recently. So I popped it on last weekend, and holy poo poo. It was like time traveling.

Saturday night regional TV is the greatest gift. A horror host was showing the Hammer werewolf movie with dumb spooky comedy bits in between, Carson was interviewing a stunt man, then Robert Mitchum came on to shill The Big Sleep. Twilight Zone and Bewitched and Batman '66 were on, as were old cowboy TV shows on a channel called "Grit" and a bunch of 60s sitcoms on "Laff". Even the commercials were novel, all regional and aimed at the elderly.

Pretty sure I'm staying in and watching every Saturday night from here on out. I'm just hoping it turns to infomercials after 3.

Was that host Svengoolie? Top hat, greasepaint makeup, rubber chickens? I love watching him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

God yes. I am so happy that he's still there carrying the torch of the worst jokes and greenscreen gags possible as bumpers between commercial breaks, Saturday night creature features just aren't the same without them.

What charms me about it is that even with the gags and such, there's an absolute love for the movies and the stories behind them. Some may be cheesier than others (and even the good ones feel cheesy these days just because ideas of pacing and tone have moved on) but it's a different tone of thing than you see on MST3K and imitators. It's like the modern radio stations who play/deejay old 50s and 60s music; they don't try to pretend it's not 2017 or that they're the old hosts, but there's a torch-passing sort of thing there rather than just being "retro".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I'm lucky, my apartment's window has a great view across the river to the main broadcast antenna in town. I was using basic rabbit-ears and a converter box until a month or so ago, and even now a 5-dollar antenna gets me all the major stations and a bunch of minor ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

See, that's what kind of bummed me out. I was using rabbit ears from the dollar store and I got the same channels I got from a $30 digital antenna.

I mean, its just $30 so I'm not crying or anything. I was just hoping I'd at least get to watch sports on networks or something. Could have gone a long way towards getting me to cut the chord.

The downside of broadcast is that it's heavily dependent on the surrounding geography. Folks in New York for example probably have a broadcaster as close to them (somewhere in that city) as I am to one, but all the buildings in the way are gonna lead to an ordeal. Heck, if I lived in what Portland calls "downtown" I'd probably have issues. And the more expensive antennas package it up in so much prestige and sales-speak that it's tough to tell what's actually useful for you until after you've spent the money.

E: and that's not even mentioning those infomercial antennas that treat broadcast reception as some big secret The Government doesn't want you to know about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Haha, exact same reaction here. Everyone really should watch the trailer.

What the Hell?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

Maybe that trailer is super misleading and the real twist is that Dean Norris is totally awesome and he marries Henry's mom and everyone is happy!

... :ohdear:

Maybe it's an adaptation of I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snak posted:

Man, new Prison Break is going nowhere fast.

It's like of the all the original seasons they could have tried to emulate, it feels like they tried to emulate season 3. I was hoping for more season 4 wackiness.

They're out of the prison now, heist-ish part is over, they're gonna have to do a heck of a lot next week to keep me watching.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

precision posted:

Maybe, just bear with me here lads, maybe the target demo for Bill Nye's show isn't anyone over the age of 12. Maybe.

He starts the first episode by saying it's for adults.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

How do you unbrainwash someone?

Very slowly and very carefully. It's not easy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

raditts posted:

In defense of Nye / NDT, they have probably had to deal with their share of utter bullshit as two people who have made a career out of public speaking about science.

And, while they might be a bit jerkish sometimes, they haven't broken from the strain like Dawkins did.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Stop making shows with "American" in the title. It's hard enough telling American Crime and American Crime Story apart.

American Gods is just a remake of American Graffiti, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hawaii 5-0 and Bones have done some cringing ones. I recall one whose premiere worked in chances to fellate Bing before every commercial break, but can't recall which show it was.

E: I think it was H50. "He's escaping to the mainland. Better Bing flights to find out where he's going!"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2017

• Locked thread