Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

It was a little flat but in that way pilots often are (especially since they have to have the "the jerky protagonist really does have a heart!" Beat) but there's potential. Kaitlin Olson's still a great physical comedian so it's got that going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It just doesn't come across like a parody, is the thing. It comes across as wasted potential. "This is the best we could do."

I can see not thinking it's good, but I don't think "wasted potential" fits at all. Everything the people making the show did is very deliberately pointed to achieving the end result of a gorgeous, atmospheric horror series which is about as believable as a Dario Argento movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I liked it a lot, and would like to see Milana Vayntrub in more not-AT&T-commercial things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Since we've got a lot of Americans fans here I'll just point you all to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBxUgqe8eQ

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My early impressions were that it was about cannibalism, not necessarily full-on living dead (though I understand that's a little ambiguous?)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Mick has been renewed!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I find with a lot of modern sitcoms you have to accept a little... shakiness with continuity. The writers want to have the characters and plot develop in natural and organic ways, the network thinks the ratings will be better if you play episode 6 before episode 2.

It's a very old practice, it's just that the shows themselves increasingly do not fit with this.

Anyway The Mick is great. The pilot is, like many comedy pilots, just sort of okay, has a few laughs but mostly sets things up. But it picks up quickly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Right now on there I'm watching Happy Endings, classic Outer Limits, and classic MST3k (Though who knows what'll happen with that when the new show starts up on Netflix.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

TIme after Time Tv Series is garbage. Ugh I really liked the movie but this is just awful.

I found it very average. A few twists here and there but it's not clear how exactly they're going to draw all this out into a series.

And the ratings were low so they may not get more than this season.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

People can form emotional connections to things for all sort of bullshit reasons tbh. I definitely don't think that means anything with regards to how good a show is.

Except that is kinda the purpose of a lot of entertainment, is to get the audience emotionally invested in something.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Holy poo poo the scene during the credits in tonight's ep of The Mick.

Yeah. This show- this show is going places.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

I don't understand why Bob's Burgers had three seasons taken away from Netflix, leaving only Season 1 and 2. Like, why tease like that?

Fox is taking away a lot of things- presumably they're gonna start their own streaming service with blackjack and hookers that will no doubt explode on the launch pad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

The Mick had too many great moments to count tonight.

The scene of the other boy's father drowning someone in a toilet bowl was shot like something out of Breaking Bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I believe Joel had syndication or TV airing in mind with the new series so it's formatted that way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The song at the end of the second episode of the new MST3K - and I mean the song the filmmakers deliberately put into it - is some insane and hilarious poo poo.

That entire movie is something. What, I'm not sure.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They also realized that Caity Lotz being a kick-rear end time lesbian was the best part of the show so she became the lead.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's just become how the thread refers to her (and other places I've seen)- Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Did they keep the stupid "first plate" thing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It was mostly just Elizabeth Moss saying this but it's still a little weird- like she herself has not been afraid to call herself a feminist so it's not an "I don't believe in feminism, just equalism" thing.

Like she's probably just trying to say "you should watch this even if you're not interested in 'political' stuff" but it came out wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the main thing is this is four/five shows. Constantine I think was one season but the rest have more than that under their belt.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So what constitutes a non-smug delivery of "global warming is real and we should do something about it"? Because I've never heard the people who criticize this sort of thing say how it ought to be done.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Prime addons are the worst. I have like 3 of them now. Amazon Prime has become my favorite streaming service, quickly beating out netflix and hulu over the last year.

My biggest complaint is that the interface of the ps4 app is one of the worst I've ever seen. Well, it was until I saw The CW app on xbox 360. Which doesn't tell you the order of the episodes and doesn't display them in a linear fashion.

Aside from the interface being total garbage, the biggest thing that's missing on amazon prime is the ability to filter search results by "free". On the flip side, it's also nice, when you are looking for one specific thing, to be searching everything at once. I already have to check hulu, netflix, and amazon prime when I want to watch something, but if I had HBO, Starz, and Shudder on seperate apps, that would be 3 more things I'd have to search.

I gotcha beat on this. Amazon Prime on 360 doesn't list the channels at all anymore. They used to have support for *some*, but now, you can't even find the titles they carry, unless they're on a watchlist or you've already started watching (in which case they're on Continue Watching.)

I was thinking of getting an Apple TV or Roku or something but I'd have to find a way to free up more outlets AND more HDMI ports.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The WGA strike has thankfully been averted as they worked late past the deadline and reached a deal.

The details are kinda vague but I hope they got at least some of what they were angling for.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

You couldn't help but picture Aria stupidly fumbling around a kitchen checking a cooking book as she bales a pie for the first time,

Hot Pie taught her well.

quote:

hoping no one comes in and questions what she's doing there with two Frey corpses and a crimping fork? It was dumb as gently caress and pushed Aria from broken, revenge motivated young girl into Dexter Morgan magic serial killer territory.

She loving chopped up and baked two people. It's dumb as gently caress.

This is all getting into tactical realism territory. We don't know how long the first two killings took, how long she set this up, how much time even passes between the last time we see Arya and this happening. It's space for a lot of things to happen, and not showing it step by step isn't really a plot hole.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New Girl has been renewed for a short final season- exact number of episodes is unclear, could be as low as 8 or as high as 13.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Shorter season is fine for them to wrap up. Honestly the last episode of this season could have been the finale.

Yeah I think it was definitely made with that in mind, since they didn't know.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I don't think anyone's going to be giving them a big budget movie for a long time after the last few they've put out were such garbage. That's probably one of the reasons they moved to something like Netflix.

Unprofitable, sure. But Speed Racer was a goddamn masterpiece.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I've said before I really enjoyed Family Guy the first season or two after it came back- there was a lot of non sequitur stuff and pop culture referencing but that in and of itself didn't bother me.

It's more that after a while the "edgy" (read: racist, sexist, etc.) stuff seemed to curdle into a real meanness, in a way that's just bitter and hateful for no reason. As much as South Park gets into "PC Police!" Libertarian nonsense I can at least get a certain sincerity from them, FG is more "we're running light, let's do a joke about how Asian women can't drive."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Univision have kinda tightened the screws since taking over- especially as clickbait and Trump news bites get more traffic than the in depth stuff.

The race to the bottom in action.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

If How I Met Your Mother can have a plan, nobody else has an excuse.

Not that I'm saying HIMYMs plan was good. It's probably the worst example I could use.

That's the thing though. HIMYM is an example of how adhering to a planned ending solely on the principle of "we have a plan" can result in a worse outcome than letting the story develop more organically. Only the end result matters.

Douglas Adams wrote HHGTTG with no plan whatsoever and the result is some of the best comedy writing ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've always thought this. Natalie did her best acting in The Professional, and had been more wooden and disengaged ever since. Meanwhile, I find Kat gorgeous and sexy as hell, with great comic timing, and she's game for anything. It's a shame her show is offensively, unwatchably bad.

Was offensively, unwatchably bad. Now that it's finally over I have some faint hope she'll find something better. Same goes for most of the cast, really- Beth Behrs, Garrett Morris, and Jennifer Coolidge did not deserve that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
NBC is apparently so pleased with the revived Will & Grace that they've made offers to the creators of the West Wing, The Office, ER, and 30 Rock to just bring those shows back. None of them have accepted.

And by made offers, I mean Bob Greenblatt apparently just bugs these people about it whenever he gets the chance. Like, "Hey, Tina Fey, wanna do some more 30 Rock?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

WGN is playing all of the Slap Bet episodes of HIMYM and even my complete lack of desire to rewatch the series for the most part cannot ruin the last 10 minutes of Slap Bet, one of the best sitcom episodes ever.

The payoff is amazing, it created two running jokes that lasted the rest of the series and it combined Tiffany jokes and Canada jokes into one beautiful, perfect music video.

As great as Let's Go to the Mall is, they somehow managed to equal it with Sandcastles in the Sand (to say nothing of ROBIN DAGGERS.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Plus some of the debt stated in the article that caused all the chatter is future obligations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, no, that's bullshit. The entire basis of that interview is that the left and right need to ~come together~ to stop Trump - despite the fact that Trump is the loving right. He is the literal manifestation of it.

I didn't hit her on the Bernie poo poo because I didn't want to have that particular argument. Still don't. I will say that it speaks volumes about Bee that she apparently hates Bernie Sanders more than she does pieces of poo poo like Glenn Beck.

In regards to the school integration opposition, there's unfortunately little on record, largely because Jason Jones is media savvy and was smart enough to tell anti-integration parents to shut the gently caress up:

And in general, please don't float the idea that Sam Bee has no say whatsoever in regards to her children just 'cause Jones was the one to show his face.

This is a bullshit debunking. All it does is "debunk" the idea that Jones and Bee can't stand the idea of black children in their kids' school, when the criticism is that they put maintaining their affluence ahead of the needs of poor minorities when meeting those needs is perceived to have a negative effect on them.

Except you're ruling out the idea that anyone might not want their kids' school moved 16 blocks for ANY reason other than fear of the minorities. It's not exactly the most damning evidence against anyone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

If you're down with the premise it's well enough executed and Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion in it.

I honestly thought Fillion's career was in trouble after so many commercial failures. I never watched Castle but I'm glad he got a steady payday.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I think the moment that really brought it home for me was "Why won't you die?!" "I DON'T WANNA!"

Also: "This hockey puck has a message!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is all of the new Bojack season going to be about Mr. Peanutbutter's political campaign? Because that sort of thing is just less funny nowadays for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Three episodes into the new season of Bojack and I think Aaron Paul as Todd is starting to eclipse his work in Breaking Bad.

• Locked thread