Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Leftovers still rules and is, in fact, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spatula City posted:

"feminist" is somehow, insanely, a dirty word. Even among people that believe and advocate for obviously feminist agendas. And it's not always people saying "oh no I'm not feminist" for optics. Many, many people sincerely believe that feminism is about having women be superior to men. This idea is especially prevalent in American media.

It doesn't help that TERFs are among the worst people on this planet, second wave feminists have turned into HRC apologistas/bloodthirsty hawks, third wave feminists have a significant minority of their online presence dominated by people who bitch about Marvel on tumblr and such nightmare hell people as Lena Dunham, male feminists are routinely creepy pathetic losers attempting, badly and obviously, to get into women's pants by being the most unnecessary white knights ever, and white feminists in general have been on a campaign of race erasure/capitalist reinforcement ever and especially since HRC lost.

Much like "liberal" the label "feminist" is a rough one to rock right now. I call myself a feminist ally nowadays just to be done with it since male feminists have so routinely and thoroughly hosed up the label for the rest of us.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Leftovers did the single best thing I've ever seen a show do.

The Leftovers' Season Two opening credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSH-81yT7s

The Leftovers' Season Three opening credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUFbEpSOCw

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yes, they actually did that.

Note, also, who the episode was written by in the season three opening credits.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm thinking of making a thread about my attempt to watch the entire Arrowverse based on the Toxxupation Doctor Who thread. I'm not interested in writing essays, though. Is there a gimmick I should go for?

I wouldn't do this, but if you're gonna do this don't half-rear end it. Do timely recaps, update regularly (and frequently), and put effort into it. Especially since it's always a hint of a vanity project if you're gonna try you need to whole-hog it or don't bother.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Preacher was just boring, the whole premise to the Leftovers is insultingly stupid.

Note that a fan of the 100 just wrote this sentence.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

Start with the first ep of the second season. The first has alot of eye-rollingly bad decisions (being shot by prostitutes while wearing armor). It's a smoothly dependably well acted drama focusing on a single theme of loss and regret. The writing is pretty good and the actors are great.

Don't do literally any of this and just watch from the first season.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Also I have never seen anyone label that spoilered part a "bad decision."

To be fair it's the (lazy and boring) way people who don't like The Leftovers criticize it as "bad", to the point where it's basically a meme of how "bad" the show is/was.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

Cheers! You just just starting posting here, but you should know that insulting people for their opinions is not good and is in fact bad.

1) I'm not new 2) Don't post boring memes as a substitute for criticism and I won't call them boring memes as a substitute for criticism 3) being patronizing while attempting to high ground an "insult" is pretty rich.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Twin Peaks is weird because Lynch literally made actors give intentionally bad line readings or took their worst take for certain scenes, on top of hiring actors and actresses who weren't...uh...good, so there's many many many times throughout the series where you can't tell whether or not something's intentionally bad, or bad because of bad acting, or somewhere in between, and it constantly blurs the line between what level of performance you're watching. Like there's multiple times throughout the series you're wondering if Lynch is attempting to comment on the people who watch the show, and multiple times where he actually does, so it's always hard to figure out what level TP is currently operating on.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I SO want to watch but I SO want to finish the book!

The book is not very good at all and you're not missing much putting it down.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: whatever

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Choosing between Twin Peaks and The Leftovers for my favourite show of 2017 is legitimately going to be one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make. They're both just so loving fantastic, TP messy but with almost every episode having like 1-2 of the best scenes in television history, Leftovers a perfect end to the best show to premiere this decade, drat

Hint: you pick The Leftovers, duh

Mu Zeta posted:

Halt and Catch Fire, The Americans, and The Leftovers. Leftovers and Halt do reboots in season 2 and become better.

Not really. Halt's and Leftovers' are both soft reboots and only result from stuff heavily foreshadowed/implied in the previous season up to season two's premiere. Halt's is more of a character reboot when they lean away from making a bad Mad Men but with tech clone into an ensemble piece, but otherwise it's very heavily of a piece with season one. Leftovers' does a more narrative reboot but tonally and thematically it's completely like season one.

In both cases you have to watch season one to dive into season two, neither are hard enough reboots to work without context (maybe Leftovers' can, because it shifts basically all of its narrative away, but Leftovers is so characters and arcing focused it would be a gigantic waste to watch the show like that). Just be aware if you watch Halt, and you should, that it's not the Joe show after season one and stops trying to be tech Mad Men about halfway through the first season.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 22, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The good place is a good show with a loving wretched season one finale it had to spend several episodes of the new season fixing, explaining, or justifying.

I literally cannot think of a show whose season finale made me want to watch it less than TGP's season one.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 23, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I literally guessed the season one finale "twist" as a joke when someone else asked me what I thought the twist was, after hearing nonstop, annoying praise of it, by thinking "what would be the stupidest, most obvious, and most cliche possible twist the show could go for?"

I said it as a literal joke because I didn't think TGP could be so intellectually insulting as to go with a twist that terrible but nope, it did. Exactly.

You know a shows twist is good when the shows creator has to do a bunch of post season metanarrative interviews explaining the twist's greater effects because it throws literally everything that happened before into doubt or disarray.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To the shows credit it was able to eventually mine good stuff out of the twist, but only by spending three or four episodes basically fixing all the narrative and characters problems caused by it (often by having characters literally metanarratively explain it in-universe). It also reset virtually all the character growth the show has established up to that point, which has been kind of a mixed bag, especially for Jason.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey so I started watching Carnivale and man I think this show has the best opening titles I’ve ever seen.

Get out while you still can

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Carnivale is like a case loving study in how to milk a show for multiple seasons out of one loving plot point. Also how to write a subplot that is, consistently, more entertaining, engaging, and better loving written than the main plot.

gently caress Carnivale. It wasted an incredible setting, incredible actors, and an incredible premise on twenty loving episodes of "We need to go to Babylon." "I don't want to go to Babylon! I quit!" "Okay, I'll stay and not quit, where are we going?"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, Modern Family is not a well-written show. Especially now. People did love the gently caress out of the Carmichael show so his point still stands.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cannot seriously believe you guys engaged josh lyman on anything,much less when he unironically used the word "SJW".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I will watch literally anything Jim Rash is in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I have not heard a coherent argument against the concept of Confederate from someone that wouldn't equally apply to The Man in the High Castle, except for who is specifically running the adaptation (which is an executional criticism, not a conceptual one). I have not. If you think that Benioff or Weiss can't do a good job, I would say that known terrible loving writer Chris Chibnall was able to write at least one (I've heard series three is quite good as well) season of a TV series whose central examination was on the proliferation of pedophilia and rape culture in small towns in Broadchurch, and Benioff and Weiss are much much much better than Chibnall. So literally anything could happen. It might not, it probably won't, but that's where the criticism lies. But unless you went to the loving barricades as hard against Man in the High Castle as you did for Confederate I'm gonna label you a hypocrite.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Man in the High Castle exactly translates the same way in America because like "Nazi's bad" is a basic social and political wall we have that is at least superficially holding.

I...don't agree with this at all.

quote:

For what its worth I'm not screaming for the show to get cancelled either. I just feel iffy about it. But like I'm not going to criticize the show or its showrunners until they've actually done something worthy of criticizing.

This is essentially my point. If your criticism is that the D's wouldn't be able to handle the material well, I respect that, but that's an executional criticism that relies on the subject that's being criticized to exist before criticism can exist. If your criticism is that the D's shouldn't be allowed to handle the material at all, that's conceptual, and it's where I part ways.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

STAC Goat posted:

No? I mean obviously there's a lot of problems with the "very fine people" stuff we have going on and people trying to dance ways around it or relabel it but that's because "Nazi=Bad" actually does kinda stick.

I, sincerely, invite you to read the twitter comments on literally any ad Bethesda posts to promote Wolfenstein 2. And that's a fuckin' super capitalist publisher of a game that has, for time immemorial, been about Killing The gently caress Out of Nazis. And its ad campaign has focused solely and exclusively on advocating killing Nazis. And you still get comments like people saying that "peacefully advocating genocide" shouldn't be worthy of being killed over.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mu Zeta posted:

We need something more along the lines of The West Wing right now and not more pessimistic poo poo

We do not need any more shows that stupidly portray politics and politicians as principled but ultimately idealistic and justified people, nor do we need a tv show that shows how Great White Men are the only people that can run things, especially when it comes to saving pocs or minorities from themselves.

TWW gave us a generation of fuckin' lanyards and neolibs who care more about being respectful of the opposition and deifying politicians, Who Are Our Inherent Betters, than actually helping people. It helped accelerate politics as another aspect of media fandom over something that actually has real and lasting effects on people's lives. Ultimately we will look back on TWW and we will realize that the show as a whole had a hugely deleterious affect on American discourse and viewpoints. The Democrats are not noble vanguards of truth, they're literal cowards more willing to lose elections than offend. The Republicans are not the Distinguished Opposition, they're rich cunts literally trying to kill us. Painting it otherwise helped normalize republican bullshit and justified Dems' own spinelessness.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

swickles posted:

Yeah, its not like times have significantly changed or anything. And gently caress hoping for civil discourse, thats bullshit.

If you're gonna put respectability politics over literally anything else up to and including calling out Republicans for their almost hilariously myriad evils, which TWW (and to a much lesser extent, Parks and Rec) reinforced by portraying the other side as wrong but principled so worthy of respect, then yes, you are doing unbelievable amounts of harm. poo poo like being unwilling to call out Republicans normalized their arguments, shifted the Overton window right, and led to someone like Trump gaining power in the first place, because he cynically took advantage of the forced politeness and civility established and broke it. He was "honest" and "spoke truth to power" even though he wasn't and he didn't, and people gobbled that poo poo up over pussyfooting around and being unwilling to make any real statements or having any firm convictions ever.

It also led to stuff like fuckin' Nazis getting equal airtime because being respectful of the discourse is the only thing that matters. So Nazis rebranded, put suits on, and looked clean shaven for the cameras, and suddenly we have to treat people who believe in the inherent superiority of the Aryan race as if they have worthwhile poo poo to say. This is what happens when you pretend your opposition, who is inherently amoral, is moral or principled; they abuse it, the center moves to the right,and the far right elements realize all they have to do is couch their words in nicer language and their monstrous opinions will be heard. Its the Southern Strategy all over again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/926631979478667265

That includes shelving his Gore Vidal biopic that's already in post.

This is actually pretty principled of Netflix, good on them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I highly doubt anyone is going to stand with Spacey on this.

Amazon literally ran press and promotion for Crisis in Six Scenes in the middle of Allen rape allegations, basically deliberately ignoring any questions about him to the effect. Believe me, once something is already made it takes a LOT for studios/networks to shelve it,especially when the person involved is critically acclaimed. Its so much sunk cost that they will promote and push it out the door regardless, at least to recoup their money. Netflix shelving a product that seems to be an Oscar bait title already in post-pro takes a lot of guts, never mind essentially firing Spacey

I wouldn't be surprised if contract negotiations are such that Netflix is literally paying Spacey main cast salary to not work on S6.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

How exactly is twitter supposed to make money, anyway? I don't really use twitter, or care about it for the most part, but I've never seen like, ads on it or anything so I'm not really sure how they make money.

promoted tweets, promoted hashtags, selling data, ads

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Once again it's TVIV Top Ten time so I'm gonna need a list from peeps of TV shows that aired this year that either aired early in the year, not many people watched, or both

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey it's end of the year 2017, meaning the annual tviv top ten thing is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post478454936

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arist posted:

I watched the first episode of The Deuce and that show seems pretty great

it is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snak posted:

My favorite thing about Punisher is that a lot of people who like more family friendly super-heroes immediately parse Punisher as fascist and gross, but don't see how basically all superheroes are just as bad.

this is among the dumbest as loving poo poo things I've ever seen written congrats

Rarity posted:

Geez, guys, seriously

everyone who's telling you to watch it is lying, its among the worst films I've ever seen

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like I sincerely invite Snak to post that unchanged in BSS and get laughed off the subforum, cause you can only believe that if you never read any part of any run of Punisher including and especially Ennis' run, who created the modern blueprint of the character that everyone follows, wherein the literal text of the literal work is how fascist, gross, and awful of a broken person frank castle is

Like its not loving subtle, the entire point of Punisher especially in his MAX run is about how a man is destroyed by gun violence and how that plunges everyone and anyone around him into an endless, pointless, destructive cycle of gun violence, especially when placed in the context of modern superheroism

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snak posted:

Yeah I'm not talking about actual loving punisher comics jesus christ. I'm talking about public perception of him by people who dislike him because they prefer heroes who don't kill. Do you think the people who avoid punisher because they prefer more "family friendly" heroes have read any Punisher or know what it's actually about?

God gently caress every saying anything about anything related to comics.

punisher has always been framed in the context of the greater marvel universe as fascistic and gross. Because it's loving true

Pretending that everyone is equally as bad as the loving punisher, an extremely bloodthirsty murderous sociopath whom everyone in the marvel universe hates, is extremely dumb. Its nonsense cynicism and what-aboutism disguised as realism and indicative of a complete naivete and ignorance of comics. Superheroes often have metanarrative problems wrt defending or justifying the state or excusing vigilantism,but pretending that loving Spider-Man is actually as bad as Frank Castle is either lethal cynicism or not knowing what the gently caress you're talking about because you never actually read a comic in your loving life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Honestly Glitch sounds like a bad version of Les Revenants/The Returned, not really anything like The Leftovers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

It is another version of those shows, though the American Returned is the worst of the bunch.

How many times is that loving show gonna be remade

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like seriously who was like "man we need three different versions of the same scripted tv show"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Black Mirror

Ed: vvvv yeah stranger things is a good suggestion too. Also try the good place maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh wait,duh, westworld. Like that's THE game of thrones followup. Duh

Mu Zeta posted:

How is Stranger Things too intense while grotesquely violent network crime shows are ok.

he probably means literally tense works, like induces tension

Ugh....doctor who....might be...good, if they're in their 60s. Start with series 5, "the eleventh hour". That's basically the most cuddly and safe genre show out there

Maybe also try LOST or BSG, they're basically the forerunners to GoT in a lot of ways

If your older family likes westworld try person of interest, from the same showrunner, which is sort of a prototype network westworld

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 26, 2017

• Locked thread