Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some info about Hulu's upcoming TV service.

http://gizmodo.com/hulus-live-streaming-service-could-be-the-cordcutting-b-1790830030

It does sound promising in general, but the devil will be in the details. From my perspective, I'm less worried about lowering my cost and more worried about increasing quality and limiting ADs. Cable image quality is just terrible anymore and I often find myself gravitating towards Hulu if the content is there. I'm subscribed to the AD free option too so the experience is almost at the same as Netflix, just with new content.

If they can do AD free on a larger VOD library, that's going to be very enticing. They don't have those details fully fleshed out yet, but aren't ruling it out.

I agree with the conclusions of the article though in that Hulu has already proven they can delivery quality streams, it's just a matter of content deals and pricing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You mean Grimm didn't stop with this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/constantine-animated-series-at-cw-seed-961873

Constantine is being revived in animated webisode form. Matt Ryan is going to be doing the voice.

quote:

The DC Comics drama, which was most recently adapted for TV by NBC, will return as an animated series on CW Seed, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Matt Ryan, who starred in the short-lived NBC drama, will voice the lead character.

The animated series will consist of five or six 10-minute episodes that will premiere during the 2017-18 TV season. On CW Seed, Constantine joins fellow animated DC Comics series Vixen, which launched its second season in October. Additionally, the 13 episodes of the live-action Constantine drama is available for streaming on CW Seed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently nobody at Fox cares as they have scheduled some of their regular shows tonight, like Bobs, Simpsons and Zorn.

Well, scheduled is the key word. Nothing is starting in the correct timeslot right now because of football anyways.

Doesn't look like CBS or ABC care either as they have new episodes airing in the slot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 9, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twin Peaks starts in May and is 18 episodes.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/twin-peaks-gets-may-premiere-date-unexpectedly-long-run-on-showtime

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

So nobody at Fox thought it might've been a good idea to switch out the Family Guy episode last night where one of the plots involves Joe getting a gun out of checked luggage while on a plane?

If we pulled episodes of TV shows every time there was a mass shooting, nothing would ever air.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, I think cinematographers for TV shows really need to take heed on what their stuff is going to look like after it's shitted out the rear end end of traditional cable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

American Horror Story has been picked up for two additional seasons beyond the season 7 already announced. Let's ride this to 2019!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I enjoyed it and so far everyone I've talked to that's watched it enjoyed it.

Then again, I could watch Tom Hardy and Jonathan Pryce dine on scenery 24/7.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm really glad they decided not to bleep or silence Pyrce's exasperation of not even looking at the offer in the envelope as it really accentuated the change in tone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm annoyed that (from what I read) the release of Series of Unfortunate Events isn't in HDR with this initial release. I held off on watching Luke Cage until Netflix updated it to HDR and was really glad I did since it really helped the atmosphere. It seems like something heavily stylized like this could really benefit, but I don't know if I can hold off on this one though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think maybe FX is going to have Jonathan Pryce yell "loving" at least once a week in Taboo.

I approve.

Edit:

Wow, gently caress count hit 6 before the first commercial break. I'm actually surprised FX is going for it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 18, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rocksicles posted:

it's on FX in the states? i figured it'd be a bbc america thing/

It's not actually produced by the BBC, so I'm sure it was sold to whatever network big highest for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At this point, you probably aren't going to get a quality TV if you don't go 4k outside of a few cases (projector, OLED.). If you are going too small for the 4k to be a better choice, you probably aren't going to get a great TV regardless.

If you are into Netflix and Amazon originals, it's absolutely worth it to go 4k now. If it's mostly cable TV and discs, there's less content to work with.

Buy a TV by establishing a budget and a size range. Then you can debate between your various options. If your list includes a 4k TV, it's almost certainly better than the 1080p options unless it's an LG OLED.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tonight on Colony:

You don't gently caress with Josh Holloway's kid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not for nothing, but as a person that's never heard of the show before today, it wasn't the spoiler that spoiled things. It was all the not so subtle discussion before it which made the word play obvious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X-O posted:

A part of it is that also these giant media companies want more of the share on their old stuff and many are pulling things in order to start their own individual services. Soon if you want to watch a CBS or NBC or FOX show you'll have to sub to their own service. It'll be the a la carte cable service people have been asking for the last decade and now that they're getting it they won't be happy.

That's already starting to fall flat on it's face. CBS is backing off their rhetoric and have entered into licensing agreements with Hulu. They also backed off BIG time on CW content and made the deal with Netflix even more favorable rather than launching their own streaming service.

Keep in mind that Netflix licenses all their stuff, even Netflix Originals. For example, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a Paramount Television production ultimately. Netflix is just the first run and OTT distributor.

What may be more accurate to say is Netflix wants to license more first run exclusive distribution content rather than back catalog OTT licensing.

Ultimately, I see this as bouncing at some point in time. OTT streaming of past seasons may be withdrawn and used as an attempt to launch network paid services, but it's destined to fail. The networks will see that this lowers the value of their brand and come crawling back to Netflix and Amazon to license their content, now at lower rates.

In the meantime, viewership continues to fall, networks take fewer advertising dollars in, and Netflix will have all the money to outbid on quality content. At the end of the day, there may not be much WORTH watching on traditional networks in 10 years.

The big thing to ponder here is that Netflix manages to turn a profit while investing back into licensing original content and paying out money to the likes of CBS, ABC, and NBC.

All while charging $10 /month. This complex arrangement of carriage fees and advertising tracking to figure out rates is outmoded when you can deliver direct to the customer and have direct metrics on what maintains your subscription rates. We are eventually going to see a collapse of the TV advertising industry because it's going to become more costly to administer than they get back in dollars.

IRQ posted:

That would probably get me to cancel my sub since it's so freaking hard to figure out what of their new stuff is worth watching outside the handful I already watch.

How is that different from any other TV show out there though?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the chief metrics of TV success in the post-Netflix landscape?

I can't imagine ratings are necessarily worth what they used to be.

Much like Netflix or a premium channel, more and more of the revenue is coming from subs. That's why channel disputes between MSOs and networks are becoming more and more common. MSO pays for each channel that they offer on the servers times the number of subscribers to that channel. So, networks keep trying to increase carriage fees as well as bundle channels together to force more purchases.

Ad revenue has been increasing as well (mainly due to the breadth of content rather than high ratings on fewer shows) but TV is increasingly more expensive to make.

One issue is carriage fees can only go so far before they price themselves out of the market. Cable companies are pushing back with increasingly more success as well.

It's due for a correction. The bundling is being resisted now by cable companies and consumers alike. That's likely going to mean a contraction of the market and many channels being pushed to VOD/OTT distribution with more short form content that can go viral. If you can produce content 10 minutes at a time with pre/post roll ads and/or with subscription revenue, you stand to make up revenue in volume.

What's really going to be interesting is what happens to the OTA primetime model. Right now they are scraping extra revenue from the MSOs for carriage fees, but threats to pull channels can only go so far when someone can just put up an antenna and watch for free. So, you are going to see continue erosion of the timeslot to commercials (probably with hour shows clocking in at around the 35 minute mark for content with half hour shows barely managing 16 minutes) along with product placement. In the end though, compromising quality in this way is going to allow the Netflixes and Amazons of the world to eat their lunch completely. Ultimately, primetime is going to need to be subsidized from pay channels and I think that means we'll eventually see a reduction of content. They'll probably give up the 10pm slot first, then drop Friday's and Saturdays altogether.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My problem is that I don't give one iota of gently caress about anything sports related and I resent having to pay for them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X-O posted:

Your problem cannot be solved. No matter what service you get from whoever you're going to pay for a lot of poo poo you don't want. Unless you just buy individual episodes of shows.

I've done that math and it is actually cheaper and higher quality. At the moment I'm just stuck in a contract.

This year was the real turning point. With a 65" OLED, cable video quality just can't cut it anymore. Putting my TiVo on OTA for CW and a handful of other network stuff, dong Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Now and Starz and then purchasing the balance from Google play or vudu has me saving something like $250 / year.

Edit: You actually have me examining it again. Looks like they actually would let me bump down to just local TV package which would save $52 /month while retaining Starz and HBO. $52 /month buys about 31 seasons of TV shows a year at a $20/season average. That's actually somewhat attractive and something I might do.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 23, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, quality is still higher on the disc. I mean, for most stuff I'm fine with the streaming copy, but things I really love I want in the best quality possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My TV alone has used 48gb since Friday and I wasn't home for the majority of the weekend. 200gb cap sounds like a nightmare.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

It is but running it over the holidays with no break doesn't bode well for a second season.

Syfy runs all of their shows without breaks, it's nothing new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

lol lol just lol if you watch tv live

Pretty much.

Just set a season pass on the DVR and use SeriesGuide with Trakt to keep track of episodes.

Syfy likes to straddle programming by doubling up finales or premieres.

Magicians is paired with a double season finale of Incorporated and then paired with a double premiere of Expanse next week. That will make episode counts line up and I bet Magicians will have a double finale to line up with whatever is going to take its slot in the spring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 1 of the Expanse has been on Amazon prime for weeks. Season 2 of 12 Monkeys was never on Hulu, season 1 is there though and you can expect season 2 to show up a week or so before the premiere of 3.

If your are subscribed to Syfy, you can watch a lot of their shows on the website or through the app as well. Currently they have all of Killjoys, Channel Zero, Incorporated, Aftermath and Hunters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Expanse became free on Amazon Prime in the US on Dec 21st.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you never actually watched them, I can see how you could be mistaken. Syfy was publishing their content through the Hulu portal, but it was actually streaming through Syfy.com and required a cable login independent of Hulu sub. It was never anything more than a front end.

That's why it disappeared, it disappeared from Syfy.com after it aired. Season 1 is there through Hulu itself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

Almost always available for sale on itunes and amazon video streaming

Or Vudu or Google play.

The only stuff that doesn't allow you to purchase right after it airs is HBO, Starz, and Showtime. But you can subscribe to all of them without cable if you want.

I don't like the way cable is bundled and I sure don't like its quality, but the whole piracy cry rings pretty hollow now. You can get pretty much everything for $15-$30 a season if you want it before it goes to Amazon or Netflix after the season is done.

I'm not going to vilify you for pirating, but you can't claim it's not easy or affordable to get whatever you want legally.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was presently surprised to see that Santa Clarita Diet is available in HDR from the start. Netflix hasn't been doing good with releasing HDR at the same time a show comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

It's just going to be a couple pages of "X is really pretty" and "Yeah it looks amazing."

Neither of these things can be said about cable quality.

I'll watch it after they release the UHD Blu-ray. There's really no other way to watch it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Spatula City posted:

I think their just greenlighting whole shows thing is inadvisable compared to Amazon's cool "pilot season" approach, though.

Keep in mind that Netflix is licensing content for exclusive first run distribution in a market. Amazon is actually producing content. So, their approaches should be different. Netflix is often times competing with other networks for shows so the full season grant is their linchpin to win the bid if it's close.

As long as their hit ratio is high enough that they don't lose subscribers, it's a good approach. So what if they get a flop? If it didn't drive anyone away, it wasn't harmful.

It's in Netflix's best interest to have content coming out continuously since their subscription model is month to month. As long as the next thing you are looking forward to is no more than 1-2 months away, you will keep your sub.

Amazon has a more captive audience. The buy in is usually annual and has other perks that keep people around. So, they don't have to be as frantic with their release schedule and are more measured where they spend their money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Again, aside from a handful of instances, netflix doesn't produce any content.

The Marvel shows are produced by Marvel TV and ABC Studios. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is Universal. A Series of Unfortunate Events is Paramount TV.

The Man in the High Castle is Amazon Studios. Mozart in the Jungle is Amazon Studios. Red Oaks is Amazon Studios.

There's a distinct difference. In Netflix's case, someone else is funding the production of the show. Now, they are funding the production of the show with the understanding that Netflix's licensing deal will cover those costs, but Netflix is not directly creating content.

In Amazon's case, they a primary source of funds for production.

Now, this may sound like a trivial difference, but it can have some effects. For example, Amazon has more direct control over the budget of a show while Netflix doesn't necessarily get to have any say how much of the money they spent on licensing the show is actually used to make it.

Netflix: "I like your idea. Let me see more of it and if I like what I see I will want more of the thing you made and I'll pay you x dollars for y episodes for exclusive distribution rights."

Amazon: "I like your idea. Let's make something to show off to people. If they want to see more, we'll make more."

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 16, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

From what I've read, Netflix pays upfront actually.

Yes, in many cases they pay upfront (one of the reasons why they win bids for shows). However, they still aren't directly funding the shows.

With Amazon, they have a budget for their show and that's the money that's spent on the show.

With Netflix, they pay ABC upfront for a new season of Daredevil. ABC then decides how much of that money is used on ninjas and how much of it is used on craft services for executive staff. Of course, if that relationship gets too out of whack and Netflix isn't happy with the product because of cut corners, that may cause them not to fund further seasons.

It also insulates netflix to a certain extent against things like budget overruns. If the special effects house used to make those ninja outfits that special shade of black goes bankrupt and doesn't finish the work on budget, that's ABC's problem to deal with and not Netflix. Now, ABC may ask netflix for more money next season to ensure those ninjas are portrayed to the correct level of stealthiness, but there's a negotiation that happens there.

Netflix is much closer to a regular network than Amazon. They just have a more frantic release schedule.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motion capture performances most likely. It's a blurry line to be sure.

Look at Jungle Book. The only real difference between that and this is a single human character. The animals were all motion capture though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shageletic posted:

I think Legion is the best thing running right now.

I really like Legion, I just don't feel there's enough substance there to make that call yet.

Everything that's there is top notch. I'm enjoying the journey thus far, I just have no indication where the destination is or if it will worthwhile.

Legion really feels like a show that should be released all at once. Week by week is really working against its pace. I feel like there should be this steadily climbing feeling of dread and panic, but a week between episodes is really stunting the momentum.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

less laughter posted:

Then wait 8 weeks and watch it in one go. This isn't rocket science.

That's not going to help it get a second season though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will have a lot of content that Hulu doesn't have.

The real question is will the DVR allow fast forward/skip? If so, ads are irrelevant.

$35/month for unlimited cloud DVR for the 4 main nets, FX, FXX, USA, Syfy isn't the worst thing in the world.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

Almost nobody gets CBS, they want you to use their own lovely service.

Yeah, which is why CBS being included in this could be a big value add for some people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bring back old gbs posted:

introducing our tv streaming service! well no, we dont stream that channel... or that one... no, not that one either... yeah you'd assume we have that one but we dont, also no to that one as well...

ok look maybe we jumped the gun a bit calling it "tv" what we really meant was you can watch reruns of Drag Race 24/7,

No service is going to have everything unless you subscribe to cable and get their top package. The key is finding a combination of services (including individual show purchased) that give you what you want.

I recently cut back to one of FiOS's custom TV packages and it's glorious not having to pay for sports or cable news channels anymore. I did lose a few stations that I watch one or two shows on, but I'll end up saving more by purchasing those instead of subscribing to the channels.

This package has some of the things I got rid of, so it's an option if I wanted to pick up those channels for less than upgrading to the cable package with them.

This, psvue, DirecTV Now are all basically "networks plus others" packages. Choose the one that has the "others" you want and has an interface that works for you.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One nice thing about Hulu is it's the only place that has the (mostly) complete Adult Swim catalog.

• Locked thread