Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is this the thread for me to declare I am terrified, disgusted and excited in equal measure The L Word is coming back?

Also, new to TV dude, watch Pushing Daisies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am really confused about Bates Motel still getting nothing. Vera got nominated once, but has it gotten any since then? I had foolishly assumed they would at least acknowledge it, being the final season and all.

Chaffed about The Americans, too.

Very happy about RuPaul's Drag Race.

e: I suppose this is maybe the true price we pay for Bates Motel being an A&E show?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 14, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

The performances by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, however, were excellent from the start and only got better as the show went along. Either of them would have been deserving winners in pretty much any season, honestly.

This T is piping hot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^^

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Yeah, Hannibal rules.

I never in a million years expected that when I found out there was a Hannibal show, that the show's portrayal of Hannibal Lector would become my personal definitive version of the character.

And yet, here we are.

My favourite thing about the show is how true Fuller stays to the source while going and telling an entirely different story. The first two seasons, especially, used much of Will's inner monologue from the book as dialogue. As well as many other little touches and flourishes.

Like it's a love letter to Thomas Harris while being its own thing. The best job I've seen done of adapting a story into something so different that still feels so right.

e: still buttflustered Lifetime has the rights to Buffalo Bill and Clarice so we never got to see what Fuller would have done with them. I do love the show as this bizarre version of Graham's story tho. But what could have been ...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I keep forgetting Mike Myers hosts the new Gong Show as a character.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I watched Goliath just because Olivia Thirlby was in it, and came out pleasantly surprised.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yes. Get used to it tbh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You, sir, are wrong.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

There was one genuinely funny scene where Monica gives herself an orgasm while describing the various erogenous zones in a woman's body.

7! 7! 7! 7!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe it's because I watched them after they ended, and didn't suffer through years of theorising about the shows with other people, but I really liked the endings to LOST and BSG.

The final season of LOST was a hot mess, but the finale I dug. The biggest issue with that show is it's too long.

BSG had some issues in the last couple seasons, and some hokey scenes in the finale, but God and religion were a huge part of the show from loving day one w/r/t the cylons, so I wasn't surprised or disappointed with where the ending went.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Emma Stone in Aloha?

I think they mean in an adaptation. Aloha was just weird/bad casting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And certain shows are uploaded the day after, depending on which country you're in. All the non superhero ones (which I think air on Global, where CW shows used to live) are Netflix only in Canada.

Handy af.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

We used to have debates on the playground during elementary school about whether Ross and Rachel were on a break. Friends was so big you didn't need the internet to know people's opinions. Ross and Rachel were def in favour over Ross Rachel and Joey, a view I also agree with.

Monica and Chandler are the best of them all, tho.

e: weed's a helluva drug

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loved Phoebe's cavalcade of weird boyfriends, though. And I thought Paul Rudd was a welcome addition at the end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What I appreciate about Riverdale is how, after the third or fourth episode, it felt like the show was being kind of tongue in cheek about the whole teen drama thing. It is very much one of those shows, but amped up to like 11. Very Twin Peaks lite imo in more than just the most obvious plot things, or how many times Alice has or offers people pie.

I don't think it's like biting satire or anything, but the show is having fun with itself.

It's also the most visually interesting CW show. I am way into the neon noir aesthetic it's rocking, and the score can be really fun as well as some of the weird throwback covers in the soundtrack. It's just a super comfy show, and the casting and tweaks to the characters all work really well for the most part. Like most of them still feel like their comic counterparts as I remember them from my youth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree entirely. I also love how many of the cast of parents are actors known for sexy teen shows and movies of the 80s and 90s.

Appreciating teen drama isn't always about appreciating a genuinely good tv show, though some of them have pulled it off, but about enjoying the very melodramatic type of storytelling. Like every little thing is the end of the world, and every person has skeletons in their closets, and sometimes they have some seriously impressive acting and I live for them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

High school would have been a lot more fun if it were actually that glamorous, imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was excited for Star Trek when I heard Michelle Yeoh joined the cast, but then I heard she might die right away so I stopped caring.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ursula was originally a Mad About You character, before Kudrow got the Phoebe role on Friends.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I tried watching Psych a couple times, from the beginning then picking random episodes. The Twin Peaks one was so bad even my Twin Peaks boner couldn't salvage it, but I'm willing to let it slide as a lovely episode in a big rear end collection of episodes.

Is there a certain place in the first one or two seasons where it hits a really good stride, or do the characters and humour stay the same throughout? Probably it just isn't for me but, eh, if there's a distinct uptick in quality after a certain point, I can always use a show to half watch while playing Rimworld or FFXIV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had a feeling. Most USA shows are like that. Good but nothing special.

Probably the humour and characters just aren't my jam. I like the concept but found the show itself obnoxious. Still, I might scrub through some of it before the movie. Maybe it's one of those shows that grows on you, like a fungus.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Limitless shocked me with how good it actually was. I fully expected to continue watching just for Jennifer Carpenter, but then the show ended up being way better than I would have guessed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's me, I'm the person for whom Deb was the best part of the show. Even the dumbass directions they took her in the later seasons salvaged how bad post-Rita Dexter is.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl the 'deb loves dexter' plot is something I always thought would come up, even before Buck took over. The way Buck handled then abruptly dropped it made it dumb af though.

Like the plotline itself didn't bug me, but the way they had the shrink basically put the idea in Deb's head was weird. Also the awkward timing of that storyline appearing right after Hall and Carpenter divorced.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

This needs to be bannable.

Let me get my lesbian jush, damnit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing that Psych episode has over TP3 so far is Sherilyn Fenn.

If Audrey doesn't show up this weekend I'ma riot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Timby posted:

The first episode of Discovery airs on CBS following NFL football and 60 Minutes on September 24. The next episode goes up on CBS All Access immediately after the premiere is over, and then new episodes will be released for the next six weeks; the show then takes a break until sometime in January or February (this hiatus is almost assuredly to buy more production and post-production time), when the final set of the season's episodes will be released on a weekly basis.

Outside of North America, the show will go up on Netflix, but no one knows when. Presumably it won't be until the entire first season is done, since Netflix doesn't do staggered releases.

Netflix does night of/day after releases for several shows, even those with hiatus. Just depends what kind of deal other countries have with the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, my PS4 is almost always on and even when PSN blesses me with normal DL speeds, it has never made my network sluggish.

I have crazy fast internet, sure, but my roommate and I are constantly dling and streaming poo poo and a console has never effected that.

Are you using wifi? Maybe your wifi sucks. Or you just have slow net idk.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I completely forgot OB's new season started. I'm a bad Canadian.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Truth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They both hosed up imo. Ross just in a bigger way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CBJSprague24 posted:

A girl I'm dating just introduced me to the three most wonderful words in television history.

Trailer. Park. Boys. :allbuttons:

One of my country's finest exports. Enjoy! Even the later seasons are still good, just not as good as the original ones. The movies are mostly not worth it, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I almost forgot about Don't Legalize It! Yeah, of the movies that's def the best.

e: if you can get a chance, watch the original movie. Same characters but played completely straight and more seriously, it's a neat experience.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cons:

She's not Rachem

e: fwiw him refusing to annul the marriage/divorce right away was also because he was sick of his 'thing' being the guy who gets divorced all the time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Well, yeah. Ross is a loving mess but that's why I like him. He's a fun character.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

I got into HIMYM just as I was about to start my PhD, and I wanted to live the HIMYM life so badly, living above a neighborhood bar.

I would love to live above a bar. Life goals tbh. Preferably a gay bar with lots of drag shows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

It shits all over any of the other mega-comedies of the last 30 years.

Edit: Wow, I didn't realise Seinfeld was as popular as it was. I thought that was more of a cult thing. Didn't that show get almost cancelled like 3 times?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like the episode where Joey and Chandler battle the lesbian house flippers to the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I enjoyed Friends more when I returned to it as an adult. Something about being the same age as the cast, rather than when I watched it with my family growing up.

It's a good show, damnit.

• Locked thread