Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The new Sherlock season is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not according to the people who watch it.

I don't even see a thread for it here. And I watch it and think it's great :agesilaus:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I'm watching Goliath and I have to say that it's really goddamn good.

Yeah. I love it and hope they do another season.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Kevin Smith loathes Timothy Olyphant so now I love Timothy Olyphant

Wait is this true? Is there context for this?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

If people are going to rewatch/discover a show for the first time it may as well be an actual good one like The Sopranos.

I've never watched it, or the wire... I know. I know. :eng99: I should probably get on that right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Snak posted:

Did you watch Blindspot yet? It's uh... Also kinda ridiculous, but I think it's got to be better than Quantico, from the clips I've seen of Quantico. It's got spy thriller stuff and also a good dose of action. Chases and gunfights and martial arts in every episode.

And killer music!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix's entire model is different. They just buy content. They don't make anything themselves, even Netflix originals. They have less control because they just cut a check.

Lol. No.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a Modern Family episode that took place entirely on skype, which I assume was a purchase made by skype or a demand of the ABC subsidiary that owns a big stake in skype.

It wasn't Skype, it was FaceTime. And it was a fantastic episode written (Or co-written? Though since it's a comedy it's more group written than most drama's.) by M Ganz, who was an awesome writer for the first few seasons of Community. She's also very funny on twitter, though post election she's tweeted much less. (Who can blame her though.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, there's no way you could look at Slack's Twitter and think "Hmm, that guy totally supports police privatization." There had to be a swerve planned.

Moreover, nearly half of Slack's POI episodes were such utter beasts -- "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," "Razgovor," "Root Path," "Deus Ex Machina" -- that I would always refer to his episodes as David Slack Specials. Even when it was a lighter one like "Super" or "Bury the Lede," his fingerprints were all over it, and it was usually kind of awesome.

He jumped over to the MacGuyver reboot after Fox shitcanned him, where I assume he's having fun being wasted (I mean...it's still MacGuyver, right?). But next time you see that he's running a show, no matter how lovely it sounds, underestimate it at your own peril; this dude can loving write.

I just wanted to say this is a good post, I agree, and he should team up with Nolan and Lisa Joy again for Westworld season 3.

Also, in a surprise move, fox renewed the Exorcist for a season 2!

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 13, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Elementary also got renewed! Stoked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is random, but Apples music show PlanetOfTheApps is great. It's reality show blah blah, but it's the the advisors and the actual pitching to VC that makes it legit. Highly recommend it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Nah, it's like your batsignal.

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end. I don't watch HOUSE OF CARDS so I can't say if it's the same for them.

So, either the writers need to get better at writing for binge watchers, or Netflix (or whoever is making them) need to experiment more.

I call it the prestige show binge problem. Each episode still needs to be its own thing. If an episode doesn't even have a drat theme it's a structure problem. It's one of the reasons Stranger Things stands out, because it does not have this problem.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Amazon (along with Apple) is apparently pitching hard to get the rights to James Bond.

Whoever buys Bonds rights is an idiot if they don't do an expanded universe. Hear me out. The movies are just the movies. But make a limited series (8 or 10) episode series that's about 003 or 009 and have it be a female agent. Each season could focus on a single long arc while also doing episode of the week. It's 24 meets meets The Americans meets Bond.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Curious which one of the nominees or shows you think were better? I didn't think any of the nominees were better, but I haven't watched BCS yet. We know that shows like The Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire are not going to get a nod (which is sad). I can't think of anything that stands out enough for me to agree with you.

Westworld and Stranger things are better

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

also anyone who thinks rogue one is better than TFA is a monster

darth vader QUIPS

he QUIPS

It's less that and more they made his neck look fat. What the gently caress was THAT?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

New season of the Exorcist started and it's just as good as season one. More people need to watch this show

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

unfortunately this is 2017 where "men are trash" is taken as 100% fact by a vast majority of people, not to mention the people who state it just to get some woke credentials

Dog piling is happening in this culture, but this is the adjustment for how terrible men are a lot oft the time and how long they've gotten away with bullshit.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

[quote="“esperterra”" post="“477125628”"]
Dollhouse is unironically my favourite Whedon show.
[/quote]

Same lol. Oh well.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

This Rick and Morty McDonald's sauce thing is not doing a great job on my opinion of that fanbase.

As a huge fan of the show it makes me embarrassed to tell people I like it. The fan base sucks

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The exorcist is low key killing it with season 2 as well. Easily top 5 show again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Arrow, honestly.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've not really seen The Last Ship but I know the premise - it's not exactly what I'm interested in.

However, I believe I may have actually asked about Blindspot previously. How would you finish this: "I would like Blindspot if I also liked..."

24 action scenes. That and dark Angel. It feels like a solid mix of those two shows. The puzzle poo poo is also great usually.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

It's the same type of show... PG intrigue and gunfights F.B.AIIII doing cool stuff with computers and poo poo... ENHANCE!

The tattoo poo poo cracks me up.
I skipped most of the last season, i'm all in for Rich Dot Com and the Magic tattoo.

I’d argue the other characters are much better on Blindspot, you actually like the crew. Also the gun battles are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Welp, I'm getting Starz in January. That hits a lot of the notes I loved about Fringe, which is a top-5 favorite show of all time for me

It’s also show run by the guy who wrote jungle book and the upcoming top gun. Cool dude on twitter.

• Locked thread